Blangiardi then began his broadcast career at KGMB in1977 and today is a nationally recognized television broadcaster, succeeding in senior executive positions in many of the nations most competitive markets including New York City, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Our taxpayers must get more bang for their buck, and doing so can help our departments do more with less as our Citys finances are increasingly impacted by this pandemic. La Chica is hopeful about a partnership with the state's Hawaii Cares program, seeking to fast-track assessment, treatment and rehabilitation for the mentally ill. Blangiardi hailed the city's new Crisis Outreach and Response Engagement, or CORE, department as a frontline service designed to ease the burden on police and emergency rooms. Blangiardi's wife Karen Chang is a former member of the Police Commission but was . Click here for the Facebook live video. He only asks questions and leaves the work to someone else, though it is unclear who that may be. To do so, I intend to: With the establishment of a new City Council and the ouster of five termed-out members, it is entirely possible that new ideas can be brought forth! That includes those in Local 5, for example, and teachers, who are experiencing the impacts of cutbacks due to covid along with the rest of us. Ensuring the health and safety of our communitys public health and rebuilding Honolulus economy during the COVID-19 pandemic is the biggest concern for our community. Rick then found his calling in television; going on to found KHNL and bring live UH sports into living rooms statewide. At the time that he first got married, Rick was still working as a football coach. Financial disclosures by mayoral candidates Pine, Blangiardi, Hannemann, iLind.net, July 9, 2020, Mayors financial disclosure is MIA, iLind.net, February 13, 2021, Questions raised by mayors late financial disclosure, iLind.net, February 20, 2021. However, I do not support defunding our police, especially with a department as understaffed as ours. "You see down there, Creative City. Currently, Rick Blangiardi is married to his beautiful wife, Karen Chang. "We talk about this on a regular basis at my house, but I just wanted you to know it doesn't get any deeper than that, and we're real sincere about it. It appears that not much has changed since the now-disgraced Police Chief Kealoha was in power. An inspiring and highly effective visionary leader, his passion is infectious to everyone he engages. It looks at how changes to the Chinatown special district laws could help area businesses. . "That's a name you'll hear a lot about going forward because it's really is going to be a combination of raising monies in the private sector to stage really high-quality events in Chinatown along with all the other things that are going to happen," Blangiardi said. No, I do not support using more City funds to cover any budget shortfall in HARTs construction and operating costs. This time around, make it full and complete. Copyright 2023 | WordPress Theme by MH Themes, Justin Mikita Bio, Wiki, Age, Actor, Spouse, Net Worth, Height. This certainly raises questions about the mayors integrity. Mayor Rick Blangiardi, a booster of this gig, was away on mayoral business, but his wife, Karen Chang Blangiardi, supported the concert as founder of The Creative City. New Year, New Administration: Welcome Rick Blangiardi! Blangiardi resides in Honolulu with his wife, Karen Chang. Newly-elected Mayor Rick Blangiardi with his wife, Karen Chang, and son, Ryan Blangiardi, reacted after the first election results printout was issued late Tuesday evening at the Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach. His Chief of Staff, Mike Formby, is a better choice for hiring. And no matter what he does, he should know, controversy sells papers. The mayor invited everyone to this Saturday's Chinatown clean-up from 9 a.m. to noon. It is important the City steps up to support our small businesses and working families in order to survive this financial crisis. Seriously. There is a lot more than sunny weather and beaches here. As the new mayor I will reprioritize our budget, to ensure our police, and other essential first responders such as our firefighters, EMS personnel, and ocean safety officers, receive the support, funding, and resources they need to keep our communities and neighborhoods safe. Mahalo to all of the 480+ attende, UH Community Colleges Provide Free Vocational Training for In-demand Jobs, $35M Workforce Development Initiative Launched, Good Jobs Hawaii Will Offer Free Skills Training, Placement Support, Chamber of Commerce Hawaii to Accept Applications for 2023 Mentorship Program Through Jan. 31, Experts: Hawaiis Economy Poised to Slow Down Significantly, but Stop Short of Recession. By, How this year's Selma Bridge Crossing could mark a community renaissance, Russia's foreign minister gets laughed at over Ukraine remarks at a global conference, Students learn lessons on climate change, pollution through raising salmon, Ukraine is dominating the election in Estonia, a key NATO ally. In the absence of tourism, we must make sure our small businesses are able to return to work, and are protected both health-wise and financially during these difficult times. Recently Rick was recognized by the Aloha Council-Boy Scouts of America as Hawaiis Distinguished Citizen of the Year for 2015. As Mayor, I will bring this level of professionalism and clarity in communication that our communities can rely on. Rick Blangiardi has led a life of uncompromising service to Hawaii, his colleagues and especially his family. Rick Blangiardi, Hawaii News Now's former boss, doesn't want to make waves when it comes to HPD. And, in a breakthrough, City Community Services Director Anton Krucky announced a date when meal service will stop at River of Life Mission. Both fall in the category of Fiduciary Positions.. Collect, curate and comment on your files. Unfortunately, the way the government works here in Honolulu, that ends up being the mayor. Rick Blangiardi has a beautiful wife, Karen Chang. For the fourth consecutive year, Hawaii News Now wasvoted by Ricks team of 160 employees as one of Hawaiis Best Places to Work. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. The requirement that public officials and government employees disclose their financial interests was added to the Hawaii State Constitution on the recommendation of the 1978 Constitutional Convention, and the requirement is now part of the constitution, as well as implemented in state law and in the county charters and ordinances. In 2014, he was awarded the University of Hawaiis Distinguished Alumni Award, having earned his Masters Degree in Educational Administration (M.Ed.) Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Blangiardi wove the speakers together, promising commitment and follow-through along the way. Drs. CORE team members conduct outreach on the streets in red shirts. 7 Pepperdine, Female surfers who competed in Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational honored, New crew arrives at International Space Station, Black Vietnam vet awarded Medal of Honor after nearly 60 years, Alex Murdaugh sentenced to life in prison for killing wife, son, Supporters gather for Hawaii State Advocacy Day for Alzheimers, Hawaii beats Cal State Northridge Matadors in Big West womens basketball, Lesion removed from Bidens chest was cancerous, Former Hawaii athletes say AD search panel lacks diversity, Ocasio-Cortezs Met Gala dress rental may have violated house ethics, panel finds, Mayor Rick Blangiardi submits $3.4B budget to City Council, Broken baggage system at Honolulu airport could delay flights, March 9, 1957: Aleutian earthquakes send killer tsunami waves to Hawaiian islands. Fiduciary positions also include being a majority shareholder in a small or closely held corporation. He starts out like he is going to be tough but then he backs off and ties it up without resolution. 1) Distribute federal COVID-19 aid the City receives to those small businesses in financial need. . Google Maps is my friend: 1186 Mikole Street ison Sand Island. Telephone: 808-529-4747, By Cindy Ellen Russell | Chang was also named to the Board of Trustees of St. Andrews Schools in early 2019, according to an item in Pacific Business News. Mr. Blangiardi, 73, not only has led a successful life in terms of his career but has equally been prosperous in his personal life. Rick Blangiardi has led a life of uncompromising service to Hawaii, his colleagues and especially his family. Yes, it is true that the Blangiardis have resided in the 1 percenters. I think I am ready for that challenge.. I will work with our State, Federal, and private sector partners to coordinate our efforts and pool resources to maximize all of our efforts. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Newly-elected Mayor Rick Blangiardi with his wife, Karen Chang, and son, Ryan Blangiardi, reacted after the first election results printout was issued late Tuesday evening at the Alohilani Resort . We must work to ensure we keep our COVID-19 numbers low, by identifying and controlling outbreaks. There's already an online gallery and events listing on The Creative City website. I have three grown children, all of whom were born in Hawaii (Matt, Ryan, Laura), and I am married to Ms. Karen Chang. Here's what to watch, Honolulu mayor's $4.5B budget proposals include $300 homeowner tax credit, Search for Honolulu's liquor commission leader continues after 2 candidates withdraw. The parcel is one of several not included on Blangiardi's June 8, 2020 Candidate Financial Disclosure form . Gray Media Group, Inc. General Manager Income: At least $1 million *No income reported for his spouse. Public officials, including the mayor, are required to make public certain information about their personal finances, as well as those of their spouse, and dependent children. 2023 Getty Images. CORE is now a part of City Emergency Medical Services, under Director Dr. James Ireland. The Creative City was founded by Karen Chang, wife of Rick Blangiardi, the Mayor of the City and County of Honolulu. I will first look to eliminate waste on a systematic basis in our City government, we must look carefully at each City department in order to do so. in 1973. According to the company website, she holds the position of Executive Board Chair. He is also subject to citizen arrest for violating this city ordinance.. Hehas been married to his now-wife, Karen, for nearly two years now; as they exchanged vows in September of 2018. By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. Prior to walking down the aisle with his now-wife, Karen, Rick already had shared a conjugal life with his former wife. Honolulu, HI 96813 Newly-elected Mayor Rick Blangiardi beamed after the first election results printout were issued late Tuesday evening at the Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach. Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi, middle, embraces his wife, Karen Chang, after being sworn into office by retired Hawaii Supreme Court Justice Steven Levinson on Saturday. Categories of information required to be disclosed include income from services rendered, ownership interest in companies doing business in Hawaii, fiduciary positions held in businesses or nonprofit organizations, real estate owned or recently transferred, creditors, and clients represented before agencies in their level of government. The newly wedded couple havent started a family of their own, however, Karen treats Ricks family like her own.