I think it's more about . A 1911 or single-action pistol in Condition 1 is comparable to a striker-fired, safe-action pistol, like a Glock, which is always in a semi-cocked condition when a round is in the chamber anyway. Some might even have second strike capability, which is the real holy grail. A loaded Glock is a little more dangerous than a striker with a heavier trigger and when you carry a missile behind the hammer and like a lite trigger , like I do , I advise people to carry a thumb safety , like I do . People that just cant accept what someone else wants to do compared to what they feel is best for them smacks of their insecurity. Sound off in the comments! The driving analogy is a good one, because we drive so much (most of us, anyway). The reason was that there wasnt anything between the hammer and either the nipple or the primer of the cartridge. That was a few years ago now. Carrying A Glock With One In The Chamber. The hammer connects with a firing pin thats integrated into the frame, which strikes the primer. Same here. Even in that highly unlikely scenario, the gun would likely kill them anyway, even without going off, by blunt trauma alone. They DID make a variant with one (the Colt Cowboy) but they dont offer it anymore and the SAA is sold sans transfer bar. Here's my situation: Carrying the pistol with a round in the chamber freaks me out. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Modern shooter often often dont want to fiddle with something complex. My opinion. So I traded it. Im a lefty and the controls on the P 89 are completely ambitious I love SA/DA hammer fired autos. Of course an ND is user error, but why is the gun designed to make that error likely? Brain farts are a universal malady that effects 100% of all humans and the Glock and its clones are probably the least idiot proof handgun ever invented. Considering the odds of handling a particular weapon every day for years or possibly the rest of your life hoping to never have a brain fart in the process, and many people wisely choose another option. The Glock handgun is the favored handgun of police worldwide. Training is nothing more than repetition. All I get is replies that they are working on it. Guns in my bigger safe are in condition 3 (AR rifles and defensive shotguns), except for my SAA revolvers are empty as I dont consider them as a defensive weapon (my hunting rifles and shotguns are empty too), mainly because both have 8 1/2 barrels and were used for silhouette shooting when I was younger. I have a CCW and am carrying the Glock in a Galco Stow-n-Go IWB holster. The Glock handgun is the favored handgun of police worldwide. As for me on striker fired Im sure they are just as safe as any other design I just like to see whats going on, . It is generally safe to carry a Glock with a round in the chamber, as long as the user follows proper handling and safety protocols. The overall size of this firearm is much smaller and that shows with a barrel length of 3.43 inches and a slide length of 6.26 inches. Whats a fleshlight? No wait . The SAA was designed to be carried fully loaded with the hammer back on the first notch. There is no way to put a round in the chamber without leaving the striker cocked, and there is no safety. Hell, Colt still makes the Single Action Army. Do not get me wrong here as training is vital, that said the real problem is you cant cure stupid, Murphy, or brain farts! When I was a lot younger, I was riding horses with some friends. That makes a takeaway more likely to succeed if attempted. But carry the way you feel comfortable. Second, they also trained. The name's Jordan, but friends call me Jordy. Unfortunately, the safety is on the wrong side of the slide for me so I dont use it. Same mental disability, but different symptoms. All the out of battery safeties do is, in one way or another, block the hammer from providing that energy to the pin until the gun is fully locked into battery. Unlikely. Options are good. However, with an unchambered semi-auto, that may be a more credible concern. Glock G21 439. at Guns.com. There was also some discussion of Fairbairn and Sykes experience in the Shanghai police with what is commonly referred to as Israeli carry. There are some inherent problems there. Many competition shooters boast about having it done to their race gun. 1 of 2 Go to page. In fact, when applying for a gun permit in Israel, self-defense is not an acceptable reason to get a gun. So lets just say its a personal choice and your way isnt better than mine, but I will never accidently shoot my leg or foot. Even some shotguns will do that. This has nothing to do with car=privilege firearm=right. Next, there was some discussion about GLOCKs. He also runs his own Gun Blog and YouTube Channel. His response could be ro shoot you with your gun. P.T. I notice that you had to go look it up though. All it takes is knowing what the word; inertia means. In my own case I carry a gun because ITS MY GODDAMN RIGHT and being prepared for the defense of my life is a purely secondary concern. Still no safety. I carry all my guns chambered. Usually for at least an hour or so. They do have a half cock notch that you could use to carry on a loaded chamber, but theres a reason they say, Dont go off half-cocked. The Springfield Armory XD-E is a new hammer-fired compact pistol. You are not going to change my mind. My three-year-old knows that for her bb gun. The NRA store version is about $50+ for the small size. While holstering, train yourself to make damn sure theres nothing in the way. Someone with little firearms experience who feels over confident in his/her carry technique is more likely to find him/herself in trouble. No, but itll do the job in almost all instances. Why You Should Keep One Bullet in the Chamber. I dont believe anyone has the right to keep me from holding, using and appreciating these art forms. There are lots of better choices out there than the glock. . Cocked and locked . No, but it requires that everything go right when theres a higher chance of something going wrong. So, as DG said, its a problem in search of a solution. . My Taurus G2C is DAO, restrike, and no mag safety. The others can safely be carried with a round under the hammer, with little to no chance of firing if the hammer should be hit or snagged. Yet, most of us will also admit that we sometimes make mistakes while driving, despite all the practice/training. In a way, the GLOCK trigger is similar to a double action revolver trigger. Unlikely. Heres how all of this bogus started. One could write an entire book about just the intricacies of revolver internals, but no one would buy it, now that most dont even know what revolvers are. Just the easier reloading of the old Ruger 3 screw models (or any other regular types like the Colt SAA) vs the new ones, makes up for that one extra round, at least IMO. Unchambered carry is a bad idea because: Appendix carry, when performed with the right holster and a trained hand, is perfectly safe, and that includes your Glock 19 handgun. I would consider the weapon fully loaded at this point. Just old school geeze, too used to doing the hard chit the same way, but it worked for me. A true DAO trigger that has as much chance of going off in a pocket, or other ND, as a DA revolver does. While the bad guy is picking up the decoy gun and trying to shoot you with it, you draw your real piece with a round loaded. Glocks response was to simply make a pistol that was safe without a safety. It has a safety, but I dont really care about that. But now at my age I know me and I know my weapons and youll be gambling with your life if you engage me thinking you know whether there is one in the chamber. There is an old article in the LA Times and National Intrest that claims Glocks are accident-prone and overly dangerous pistols. KAER adhere to the business philosophy of customer first, service first, quality first, and provide our customers with high-quality products and perfect service.. We are a professional manufacturer dedicated to the production of gun safes, safe box, pistol safe and other security products. Here we have a conundrum. Length: 7.3. No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Much the less wish to discuss the merits of hammer mounted versus frame mounted firing pins, or the S&W design of using a rebound slide instead (my favorite design). Bet you still get stabbed. It was called Fractured Fairy Tales. But, on the bright side, ammoland just revamped their comment section so comments now dont take days/never to show up. More solid irrefutable proof that the Glock is an accident waiting to happen. This means that if the hammer is carried down on a live round, the firing pin will still not be able to touch the primer, even though the hammer is sitting right down on the pin. Granted, is loading a pistol, a shotgun or a rifle the most complicated thing in the world? Therefore, its unsafe(ish) to carry or store with one in the chamber. But that would mean giving up my beloved 1911! When I go out without my kids I rack the slide. I left it in my series 80, but a gunsmith can easily remove it if desired. If you are so uncomfortable with a Glock as a fully loaded and chambered self defense gun, why do you own one? You might like it. But in any case, the inertia must lie directly in line with the round, and then the round must stop suddenly, like when the muzzle hits the ground. Bottom line: For *any* firearm, you have to *put your finger (or some other object) INTO the trigger guard to fire the weapon.*. If you did not realize the design is dangerous, you would not have spent so much time belaboring the obvious. Now that we know what it means to have one in the chamber, let's figure out whether it is safe to carry a "loaded gun" with you. One near each upstairs door and one near the basement door. People who ride a motorcycle to work know damn well their chances of being seriously hurt in an accident is astronomically higher than driving a Pick up truck to work. The hammer snagged on a branch, and he shot his horse (he was twisted by the tree). Are Glocks Safe To Carry Chambered. It has good stopping power and it only slightly has more recoil . Ask the famous Black Athlete Plaxico Burress that did that in a New York restaurant a number of years ago. What an idiot libtard if you have a gun you get good at handling it stay with your BB gun, Mad says, What an idiot libtard if you have a gun you get good at handling it stay with your BB gun. I can see no valid reason to carry a modern weapon in condition 3 as long as youre observant and safety conscious when holstering/re-holstering your weapon. I dont understand why anyone who carries a modern firearm is afraid to carry a round in the chamber??? The IDF has quit carrying with a round chambered. We can talk about home carry vs guns hidden in various locarions in the house. The pistol was designed to be carried with a round in the chamber with the safety on or off as your choice. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract Ive carried different glocks with a round chambered in iwb/owb holsters and never had a problem with it. I also felt the same way. I dont know who else to contact. JavaScript is disabled. like i said Empty chamber carry is dumb. So you have no quibble with the line; If dropped, the hammer could contact the primer and therefore, fire., in relation to SA revolvers? OMG I love those old Fractured Fairy Tales shows! Like: condition 2 (good choice for a DA/SA autoloader), condition 1 (if your chosen piece has a manual safety), and etc. Mike Cumpston [Public domain], via Wikimedia CommonsCredit where due, its true that in days long past the best practice was to carry your revolver with the hammer resting on an empty chamber or on an empty primer nipple in pre-cartridge pistols. Just do what you are comfortable/confident with and what is best for your individual personal situation. Nobody whos ever advocated carrying with an empty chamber has ever explained how they were going to fight off two assailants AND chamber a round at the same time. Some extras, just in case one breaks? If you were to compile a list of incidents of the GLOCK ND and start reading through them, youll find that in virtually every single instance, human error was the culprit. Uberti, for instance, makes some models with a transfer bar safety and also a few with a floating firing pin, which drops below the channel to the primer when the hammer is fully forward and can thus be carried fully loaded. I am sure you will tell us that since you are a stable genius it will never happen to you. They have defense of the State, of their comrades, or of other citizens. How often are you a klutz when driving a car? 21 foot rule gets those people every time. Lol. Unfortunately, some may not and I have no idea which do and which do not. 3 your support hand may not be available. I put into the chamber a primed case w/o powder or bullet. With hammer fired guns, we have more options to prevent guns from accidently firing. Yes Sir I do and the ones scattered in the house also. gun owner would not have a clue on how the gun actually worked or how dangerous it was to handle and carry because what a Moron cannot see a Moron does not fear. Pretty soon, it became standard for guns to have a manual safety switch. Discharge during take down? I have trained chambering on the draw and while it is less effective it still gives me options. You just have to get comfortable with it. I carry with one in the chamber but you choose not to. So when does your Glock actually have a likely chance of discharging in those two most common klutz behaviors while handling a firearm? If you cant respect the power and danger of an automobile why would you think you could be trusted with a firearm at all let alone one without a safety? Nice catch. One common question among Glock owners is whether or not they can shoot aluminum cased ammunition in their . For those of you that don't know, "Israeli Carry" is the practice carrying a pistol without a round in the chamber. The G44 is the ideal pistol to start or enhance your shooting experience. plan A: have an empty gun you throw onto the ground to start the action. I once owned 12 of them. It likewise utilizes a cocking system that is unique amongst striker-fired pistols. My Ruger LCP is carried with one chambered, and in a pocket holster that covers the trigger. Because that argument is stupid in the first place, because the entire discussion is about *carrying* not about whether you should carry. Well, now, lets analyze this a bit deeper, shall we? Each new design enhanced the pistol and its features. On one of those occurances, my snubbie bbl. This is not remotely comparable to carrying a semiauto with an empty chamber, where the slide must be racked to make the gun ready to fire. If you can have a momentary lapse of judgement handling a half million ft/lbs you could certainly have one while handling 350. If the slide goes back far enough to be out of battery, then the gun will just fire out of battery. Furthermore, every person I know or have talked to who does have a single-action revolver Rough Rider, Blackhawk or a replica has other guns that they use for those roles. I thought it was just the cops and regulars of the IDF. If my gun lands at my childs feet, an empty chamber leaves plenty of time to prevent a tragedy, but a chambered striker-fired gun may not. My God, WTF is wrong with people who bash others for simply doing what they choose to do? The Glock trigger is too light and too short to be safe, and I understand Glocks are way far overrepresented in the annals of ND, which is very easy to understand. It's offered in a wide range of cartridges, from .22LR to the .357 Magnum. Dani: In the case of an inertial firing pin, nothing but a physical block on the firing pin itself will have the slightest effect. Big Bill: Yup. A forum community dedicated to Glock Pistol owners and enthusiasts. the number of people out there who keep a single-action revolver as a home defense. I think five guns is the bare minimum, and thats how I always answer the one gun question. When the fight starts, ejecting a live round onto the ground, or hearing the click of a empty chamber, will just mess up your day, maybe your last day. Now try looking up punctuation. You'll want to train yourself one way or the other. Is it just something one has to get used to? The Glock take down system is an accident waiting to happen and happen it does all the time. But still a nice catch. One was carrying a single action revolver without a transfer bar safety in a holster, and one under the hammer. Good username though. You can also watch plenty of guys who have never once needed their guns in a confrontation, yet shot themselves because they kept one in the chamber. Theoretically, the slide safety could be accidentally disengaged in your holster rendering a cocked and locked 1911 significantly more susceptible to a ND when drawn given the user didnt know the safety was disengaged. This debate has been going on for years.. which side are you on? However, there still isnt a compelling reason to carry a gun or keeping one for home defense that isnt loaded which cant be gotten around with a bit of training, a bit of brains, or a bit of extra gear. All that said, training, knowledge of your firearms design/function, and practice go a long way to make any firearm safe to carry with a round chambered though some designs are better for a particular purpose. The Glock 17 is a full-size pistol that is chambered in 9mm. Normally, empty chamber carry adds an average of maybe 2/10ths of a second. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. While carrying or holstering? And my Ruger .357. We do all make mistakes. That photo of the safe is cute, if completely patronizing to those who make the kids argument. . Cycling against objects using your sight is slow and not easily done. Haha. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'guntradition_com-box-4','ezslot_7',110,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-guntradition_com-box-4-0');Some people are nervous about Glocks because they heard one rumor or another about them. Its an unnatural, metallic noise that spooked him instantly, and I missed the snap shot at a running target, and he was gone. Most cap and ball revolvers have carry notches between the nipple notches. Does the Glock fire then? I thought I counted 17 in the battle scene in Open Range. So yes, its completely safe. on second thought I dont wanna know. It will go off. He has earned black belts in four martial arts and is a certified Krav Maga instructor. The Glock 26 Gen 4 weighs approximately 25 ounces with a loaded magazine. The New York Trigger as it became known had an 8-pound trigger pull. He grew up hunting, fishing, and trapping. Or a musket? I am thinking G2S, my ankle sometimes gets chilly, but, Im happy with my PA-63 In 918, and I have a CZ, in 918, that has the best SA trigger Ive ever felt, since the Smith S.S. Model 66, .357 which was accurized, and tweaked by a smith, that was flat out dangerous, hair wasnt the word. Pray the opponent was just carrying a Taser and not a knife. Obviously carrying concealed greatly reduces the odds of your gun being taken, but that doesnt mean that precautions arent in order. Apply the 21 foot rule with the holy glock with a round chambered (Im pretty sure that as I was at the Vatican admiring Michelangelos ceiling, it was definitely a glock God was passing to Adam in the famous reclining scene), I bet you you will still lose just as badly. I recommend RTS Tactical for reliable, rifle-stopping options, Youre worth it. It became the norm to carry with an empty chamber. Smh. So in 2019, are you telling a revolver carrier to carry only 4 bullets instead of five?? Older single action revolvers or those still manufactured without a hammer block/transfer bar are theoretically more prone to discharge back in the day when you ride a horse as the drop from that position could allow the pistol to rotate muzzle up when it lands. When you carry, do you keep it chambered or do you keep it unchambered so you'd have to actually chamber your gun when you need to use it? And it will ALWAYS stay in its holster right? JavaScript is disabled. The Glock Gen 4 and Gen 5 models have actually ended up being popular with civilians and self-defense shooters alike. Glocks, Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson, Barretta, and many other makes are safe to carry chambered, They have . Risk vs benefit should ALWAYS be a part of this decision. The gun itself Cannot be rendered safe without the chamber being empty. If you have your Glock properly holstered it cant go off, Those are what ifs what if you slip in the shower get hit in the crosswalk get rundown by a terrorist in a f150 train be vigilant and stay away from the end that has 6 letters. I usually carry chambered with a revolver or my .25 but the trigger on my new Glock 19 is so easy I am not yet comfortable carrying chambered because there is no manual safety. I actually think thats worth a healthy debate and article all on its own. Not exactly. Some folks in the comments section raised objections, as they are often wont to do. In practice? As the saying goes, you do you. Recently retired the PPK in favor of a Sig P365. Safety rule number 1 a gun is always loaded. Jordan has taught marksmanship, woodsmanship, and self-defense classes. ADs by glockinstine operators usually are extracting their golden goose with or wit out a pocket holster, by placing their finger, as so many comments referred to above, on the trigger upon extraction. without going into details i have it set up that theres no way anybody gets in my house at night without making enough noise for a long enough time that i wont have enough time to wake up and get my wits about me and get my firearm and charge it while on my way to the threat As long as you use some sort of holster that covers the trigger, and keep your finger out of the trigger area, leave the 19 in the holster, unless its needed, you wont have a problem. As stated above, Glocks are safe. Or remembering faulty? Not only that, but the holster allows you to "re-holster" off body which also greatly reduces the odds of clothing or something getting caught in the trigger guard. Is it just something one has to get used to? To fire the pistol, the trigger safety and the trigger itself must be deliberately depressed at the same time. Many people think walking around with a loaded gun is dangerous, irresponsible, and paranoid. Glock came up with this and called it the 'Glock Safe Action Trigger'. The first Glock safety that you will interact with is the trigger safety, which takes the form of a spring-loaded lever located in the center of the trigger. What is wrong with such ones is that they get a nice, warm, mushy, feeling of superiority over others by putting them down. Yes, you're being silly. Your taste is in your ass., Your brains (what little you have) are in your ass. its full screen with proper sound and everything. Or tell them to carry only 5 bullets instead of six?? , I never said I dont make mistakes I just never have with a gun hurt your feelings knute man up and get over it, Look what I found: There are advertisements for trigger jobs on striker fired guns to make them with an even less pull weight!! Marshals (1998). Your local police do exactly that. Thank you very much. Does the Mossad or other Israeli special services Israeli carry? The answer is "yes." Milliseconds count. The Last Word. It is a compact pistol that is chambered in 9mm and is designed for concealed carry. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'guntradition_com-leader-2','ezslot_6',115,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-guntradition_com-leader-2-0');All this comes from an old incident within the New York City Police Department. How often are you drinking a glass of milk, or spilling coffee, or having a horn tooted at you while actually handling or holstering your firearm? Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. Say, if you can make that mistake (and you did), are you willing to admit that maybe, just possibly, youve mad other mistakes? Because of its usefulness and reliability, many police and government agencies adopted this model as their service pistol. Ive done this quite a bit when rabbit hunting. You have entered an incorrect email address! The internal Safe Action System will not allow the pistol to go off accidentally. And an unloaded weapon does you no good if/when you need it. What you are overlooking is the odds. I once had a grim laugh when one Jethro Bodine (after emerging from his out house) told me he bought a Glock because he could not stand the worry of carrying his 1911 cocked and locked. Descriptions: Glocks are safe to carry with a loaded chamber as long as they are carried in a decent holster that completely covers the trigger. Are Glocks Safe To Carry Chambered. The G44 was thoroughly tested with a wide variety of ammunition to ensure maximum performance and . Let the one with no traffic tickets throw the first stone. Considering how many types of expanding ammo my plethora of 1911s did not work very well with I gave up on them long ago.