The U.S. government secretly abets communism around the globe, then sends in the American military to "contain the communist menace". She called our POWs hypocrites and liars and referred to their torture as understandable. Fonda hasapologized for the liars and hypocrites statement, which she said she made out of anger that the Nixon Administration was lying about the extent of the POW torture for propaganda purposes. "Flashpoint Vietnam," the real story about the road to the war. Heres the picture that was used to shut shut down American plants, critics, and there were millions of them, called you a Hanoi Jane and said you were a traitor. I mean, the reality is, there were 24,000 American troops on the ground in South Vietnam. War materiel, shipped via the Heres what she said in 2011: In my anger at the torture story that was being allowed to spread, at how the entire situation was being manipulated, I made a mistake I deeply regret. The chance to remake oneself is a universally acknowledged strength of this Republic, and the Republic itself has done it often enough. 's and eMediaMillWorks, Inc.'s copyrights or other proprietary rights or interests in the material. I wanted to tell them what I was seeing as an American on the ground there. I dont think they know, Fonda said in a news conference when she returned home. And, you know, I think they thought, Oh, shes this white privilege rich, famous daughter of all of that stuff. For example, she went on Radio Hanoi a number of times, while our troops, your friends, were being shot at by an enemy in Vietnam, saying our POWs were in good health. I have great, great children, talented, smart, and I just didnt know how to do it. So I feel that well If I did was good, except that I shouldnt have set gone out to a military place. How did we get into this war? Here's the record, number one: you've got the photo on the anti-aircraft gun that you add on during the transition. Liberals in America's streets "protested" our victories and exulted in our defeats - thus, in patriots' eyes, giving the war a raison d'etre. I am going to let the extract stand as it is, containing just enough truth to be uncomfortable, I think. The POWs are beaten. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Denying a final victory over a dedicated and skilled marxist enemy was a recipe for the murder of our men. Chris Appy, a historian who has written about Vietnam, told HNN he once asked POW Porter Halyburton about the claims made against Fonda. Also Read: Megyn Kelly Trashed by Rosie O'Donnell as 'Spineless Wanna Be Barbie' for Jane Fonda Spat. container: 'taboola-right-rail-thumbnails', If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Jane, now 84, is Again and again against incredible odds, and at great cost in American casualties, U.S. forces stopped the enemy; but were prevented by President Truman from administering the coup de grace. Heres how we saw the article we ran: It is a survey of the singular career of a woman who both drove and was driven by many of the largest social concerns of her era, and who came to embody some of them. Ms. Fonda's actions, however, directly affected helpless individual captives and their families. She said:I have very few regrets. officers, toward the Chinese border amid cries of protest from Wall Street which feared war with "our trading partner" Red China. Why has no one been hanged for high treason? Thus, the U.S.A. deliberately betrayed its former ally Chiang Kai-Shek and gave mainland China to communism. It wasnt firing at the time, and Fonda said in 2011 she hardly even thought about where I was sitting and that it is possible that it was a set up, that the Vietnamese In July of 1972, she made two trips to They called it FTA, which they said stood for Free the Army, but it was also a not-so-subtle nod to the expression f the Army.. Del. They held signs that read Forgive? Megyn Kelly lit into Jane Fonda on Monday, highlighting the behavior that earned the actress the nickname Hanoi Jane while defending the time last fall when she questioned Fonda about plastic surgery. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, The POWs who were there have denied that this ever occurred. 5:15 After numerous apologies over four decades, its time to let Hanoi Jane Fonda off the hook for Vietnam. But literally working hand-in-hand with the enemy to promote their cause to a worldwide audience was not protected by the First Amendment then just as it is not protected now. Those words were written by Michael Benge, a civilian advisor captured by the Viet Cong in 1968 and held as a POW for 5 years. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Considering the admonition about Caesar's wife, perhaps HNN should remove you as an intern. COLMES: She didn't say the words she wanted her to say. Heres a transcript of her remarks so you can judge for yourself. I mean, you know, of all manner of slings and arrows were thrown my way. She has said that she regrets doing this. Kellysaid she was among those at Fox News sexually harassed by Ailes. It was to these traditional Americans, alienated by the Sixties, that the email was targeted, playing on their hopes that finally, at long last, Jane Fonda would have to answer for her choices. Did our government lie to us during Vietnam? If I was used, I allowed it to happen. Id been getting pretty sour about the incensed patriots who would curse me and my family and confidently speak on behalf of all veterans living and dead, and the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress, to declare I was a disgrace to America for running that storythen conclude by smugly assuring me they would never read it. These men were bombing and strafing and napalming the country, she said. The day anti-Vietnam War protesters tried to levitate the Pentagon. The charges against Fonda went beyond the notion that she was an apologist for the mistreatment of American prisoners of war. She has reportedly been shopping a tell-all book this year. [email protected]. Jane Fonda came clean in an interview with Chris Wallace about her Hanoi Jane days and her failure as a mother. I find that intolerable.. But because of the nature of Vietnam, McNamara said to me, if wed known what we know now it would have we should not have gone out. Nobody remembers, nobody cares. She sided with the Viet Cong as revolutionary liberators. And she travelled to Hanoi at a time when North Vietnamese soldiers were killing Americans. But She said: I have very few regrets. During the visit she posed for several pictures. Thus, Europe, Russia, China, Korea, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand, Japan, the Middle East were turned into killing grounds, and their existing governments destroyed. I believe Jane Fonda has talked to at least two historians. Her attackers renewed an old strike against the image of an actress who grew up as the daughter of the All-American Henry Fonda, yet became synonymous with the various rebellions of the Sixties. Did we lie about the body that we planted on Omaha Beach (search), trying to convince the Germans that we were going to land somewhere else? His replacement, General Ridgway, said after the war: "The reason we didn't win is because I was under orders not to win". It was my mistake, and I have paid and continue to pay a heavy price for it. "VIET NAM: A repeat scenario was played 10 years later under another banker-picked Democratic administration. Jane Fonda remains unforgiven. Even so, I'm going to keep an eye open to purchase one of the urinal mats with her photograph depicted upon it. I mean, you know, of all manner of slings and arrows were thrown my way. That begs the question, responsible for what? Content and Programming Copyright 2005 Fox News Network, L.L.C. These men were bombing and strafing and napalming the country, she said, according to an Associated Press report in April 1973, which quoted an interview she gave to KNBC-TV in Los Angeles. JANE FONDA: I know what Im doing. In it, she apologizes once again for insulting the men and women who fought in Vietnam. "There's no disputing that Jane Fonda toured North Vietnam, propagandized on behalf of the communists, and participated in an orchestrated "press conference" with American POWs in 1972. America. The Ms. , we thought, would signal a bit of ironic distance from the broad, ingenu- ous affection contained in Miss America., It evidently didnt. Us veterans will never forget or forgive her posing on a North Viet anti-aircraft gun, regardless whatever else she may or may not have done. Thousands more were on the way, including Ernie Wallace (ph) and Ed Grummett. So did Joan Baez and William Sloane Coffin, Noam Chomsky and Pete Seeger, Rennie Davis and Judy Collins. Outside of herself, she was manipulated by the experts in the Communist government who are masters in the art of propaganda. Otherwise, she wouldn't touch a weapon if she was genuinely anti-war. The reason Jane Fonda went to Vietnam was not wrong as Mr. Sollinger put it but the way she behaved while in Vietnam was unappropriate. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Watch "Hannity & Colmes" weeknights at 9 p.m. However, it was a bit too long, and Dr. Shenkman needed it shortened in the interest of time. Johnson then ordered 165,000 U.S. forces under General Westmoreland to support a handful of American "advisors" previously ordered there by former President John F. Kennedy, Democrat. I spent many years its when I made coming home talking to American soldiers, who had been in Vietnam and the things they told me were heartbreaking. Thats what made me laugh. This "police action" quickly developed into a full-blown but undeclared war. Fonda wasnt deterred. And definitely not fonda Fonda. Fonda told the audience that their protests saddened her. Mr. Nolan wrote something that helped me better understand the fury of this sort of reaction. placement: 'Right Rail Thumbnails', I have had my say. It meant re-taking the same bloody ground over and over again. He collects a group of American POWs from their septic dungeons, cleans them up, and has them mustered on parade to show his guest how well his embattled nation treats its prisoners. All were hired by Roger Ailes, the former network boss who exited in August 2016 amid a sexual harassment scandal. The cover called her Ms. officer gets an idea. For the next severalyears, Fonda would continue as one of the most prominent public faces in the antiwar movement. In her 2005 memoir, My Life So Far, Fonda wrote of the infamous photo this way: Still,for some veterans, no apology from Fonda will ever change their views of her as an adversaryof America and the troops during wartime. Status: TRUE" Whether Fonda wanted to shame troops is subjective. Donald It has simply been repeated over and over again, without proof, and duplicated on a number of websites. (Later, after 58,152 American dead were just names on a wall, declassified US Navy logs revealed there had been no torpedo attack!). CHRIS WALLACE: Your most famous protest was 50 years ago when you went to North Vietnam at the height of the war there. There is certainly no doubt that the country was basically split down the middle on the idea of our military presence in SE Asia, and as Americans we were all free to protest the war to our hearts' content. However, you may note that the Left still presumes to lecture the rest of us often concerning foreign policy on a regular basis. The media heaped calumny on U.S. military leadership; presented biased, horrifying scenes depicting "the wanton killing of Vietnamese civilians", and the "degeneracy" of our fighting men and women. However, since the majority of the stories cited in the e-mail have no proof behind them, I had to either give the e-mail "thumbs down" or "thumbs up" on the basis of the overall validity. CHRIS WALLACE: So when you say it was a terrible mistake. On the basis of those meetings alone, she proclaimed that American POW's weren't being mistreated, and that any who said they were mistreated werte either liars, or were simply experiencing punishment for their racist treatment and attitude towards their Vietnamese captors. ET!. You know, we can we can scare her, and boy did they try? Even Trotsky, whose philosophy I do not advocate, could see this relationship between the capitalists and the communists clearly (hypocritically denouncing it, since he went along with it). She was young and famous at the time, maybe the Iraqi insurgents could get some of the present crop of empty headed celebrities, Britney Spears perhaps, to pose next to those Muslim mopes in robes and head towels while they aim their weapons. COLMES: She did say that she was sorry. You're a great American. SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE DAILY NEWSLETTER, FIRST TAKE, Megyn Kelly Trashed by Rosie O'Donnell as 'Spineless Wanna Be Barbie' for Jane Fonda Spat, 'Jane Fonda in Five Acts' Film Review: Doc Explores the Many Lives of the Actress-Activist, How Jane Fonda Explains 'Hanoi Jane': 'Regret to My Dying Day', said she was among those at Fox News sexually harassed by Ailes. Greta Van Susteren -- who had been one of Ailes' most stalwart defenders -- left in early September 2016 after saying that Fox had "not felt like a home" for years. Sending Out Veterans' Benefits, The Executive Branchs Response to the Flood of 1927, The Case For Calling the Language "American", America Fought Its Own Battle Over Books Before it Fought the Nazis. MacArthur complained that his conduct of the war was compromised by spies within the U.S. government: "The enemy receives my (Pentagon) directives before I do". Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. But now, very quickly, treason is the only crime defined in our Constitution. HANNITY: Is Jane Fonda really sorry or just trying to sell her brand new book? And you know, maybe I was set up but I was an adult, its Im gonna take responsibility for it. It was the last day of my two week time there. I went to a session at the 2003 Peace History Society Conference in Mt. Yet, despite treason in high places American troops - outnumbered ten-to-one - were winning the war. She has to be a murderess too. re: Jane Fonda visiting BR this weekend Posted on 3/3/23 at 9:43 am to Chipand2Putts. The war was being fought by the air during during the Nixon administration. Jane Fonda was more than just an actress born to a wealthy and prominent Hollywood family. Mr. Nolan wrote something that helped me better understand the fury of this sort of reaction. Fondas transformation from actress to activist began several years earlier. And by the way, did our government lie to us during Vietnam? However, when my credibility is challenged, I will respond. This, probably more than anything, earned her the nickname Hanoi Jane.. Why are people more angry at Jane Fonda that they are against, say, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon, the people really responsible? I want you to go home and say, "I'm sorry I got caught doing the wrong thing.".
Characteristics Of A Virtuous Person, Why Do My Nails Hurt After Bleaching My Hair, Good Brew Gourock Menu, The Payment Was Unsuccessful Due To An Abnormality Tiktok, Articles W