Oct 11, 2015 4:24 PM. And Jaime Milan, EatingWell's digital news and lifestyle editor, can't resist picking up a bouquet on her weekly grocery run. Dec 21, 2017 @ 23:00:10. Also, check the ingredients list for other no-no's like eggs, dairy, etc. ~Wanda. recipesforsustenance The only ingredient is coconut. Organic Bragg's Hawaiian fat free apple cider and tropical fruits with ginger dressing. They carry many, many other labels, so go for the Trader Joe's label only and you should be all right. I use Morton's kosher salt in my kitchen, everyday. Non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) recipesforsustenance I have been making my own bread but like knowing I have this in the freezer. Im so happy my blog was helpful to you. I hope everything goes well with your RAI treatment. Customer Relations Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Can anyone confirm.. Others here have gotten written confirmation from them that any salt used in Trader Joe's branded food is iodine-free. I found it thru someone on here. When I asked my oncologist about LID, she told me to ask the Nuclear Medicine Department. They were a bit pricey for the quantity, so dried beans are always a good option (but they take forever to cook!) LID Life Community is a good resource and may give you some food ideas. I hope all goes well for him. I plan on going to trader Joe's to look for food tomorrow before I start the diet. Having a knowledgeable doctor makes a big difference. Trader joes made it so easy to find good tasting iodine free items. This is day 3 of my LID and I'm not gonna liethis is tough! This in no way tastes like cheese. Thanks, Kareylynn! Trader joes Dry roasted and unsalted pistachios. Most Thomas Bagel Thins are also LID-friendly. recipesforsustenance And, it is delicious toasted. Best wishes! We get in the car to finally head home after a long day but my day is not over yet!!! Oreos Oreos are vegan and as long as they are a flavor that doesnt contain prohibited ingredients, they are acceptable for LID. I did read that Trader Joes does not use iodized salt in their brand products. I am also dairy (milk products) free, but almost no need to mention that since milk is not allowed on the LID anyway. Is that good? Oct 01, 2021 @ 20:23:05, First, I am sorry that your Thyroid Caner brought you to this point. I'm a 29-year old vegetarian living in DC, diagnosed with stage I papillary carcinoma a few months ago, and on week 1 of the LID diet. However, that information will still be included in details such as numbers of replies. They have a list (with pictures) of LID-safe foods from the grocery store and even LID-safe food from restaurants. I got a call today to go on LID and off my Cytomel. So knowing that, grandpa was extremely relieved knowing grandma was in the ICU now and was on her way to recovery! Thank you for letting me know. -Kitchen Basics unsalted vegetable stock (the only ready-made veggie stock I could find without salt added) recipesforsustenance All feedback will be appreciated. Thank you so much for this site.. So I made a trail mix for my snack kashi cereal pinapple chips dried fruit and dark chocolate chips and almonds .. are dark chocolate chips ok they have no milk or salt I got them at trader joes and does any one know about coconut milk in a can can I use that in my coffee. We had also packed up cheese and peanut butter crackers for snacks, girl scout thin mint cookies and some "cuties". if iodized salt is used, it's supposed to be listed as such. I used it to make Beef Stew and it was rich and tasted great. I am starting to hear canola oil may not be as good as we think. * Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread - as you can tell from the name, there is no soy, no dairy, it is gluten and lactose free and vegan friendly - only down side is there is a teeeeennnnyy tiny bit of salt in it but less than 2% so I'm willing to risk it (plus it taste good!) I also found a salad dressing/marinade. Rice is also very low in iodine. Jaguar (family friend) bought her lunch while mom and grandpa had sandwiches brought from home. Im glad to see some products on your must that I wouldnt have thought to include with my LID diet grocery list. -Pacific all natural hemp non-dairy beverage (vanilla)--this does not contain soy, sea salt, or carrageenans (sea weed), ingredients that every other dairy-free milk label that I have read seems to have. Looked forever for a bar of chocolateThis was it! Finally around 12pm the anesthesiologist team came in to prepare grandma and she was wheeled off to the operating room around 12:30pm. There are two types of Elmhurst Milked Cashews.an unsweetened variety and a Barrista approved variety. Zero sodium- make sure they are "old fashioned" and not INSTANT! Will continue to buy these after the LID! I made the best chicken fingers ever last week. http://www.lidlifecommunity.org is a great resource if you need to do the diet again in the future. Non-Dairy I just made a big pot of LID soup with tap water and hoping its still ok! See the overnight way to cook these steel cut oats on Day 7 Breakfast Tab! Aug 19, 2019 @ 21:33:47. I know she is not out of the woods yet, but I know she is on her road to recovery :) I also asked her docs yesterday about taking extra precautions after my RAI if I should take a few extra days staying away from grandma since she just had this surgery but they assured me that after my 7 days of isolation I would pose no risk to grandma anymore than I would any other non-pregnant adult! Having this bread will save me time since I wont have to be making bread from scratch. Some people do not realize that iodine is in sea salt as well as kosher salt. Ending week two of my second round with LID. She got the intubation tube out last night and came off the breathing machine!!! Avoiding salt just to avoid iodine is counter-productive and not advisable. After reading labels I'm going to focus on sodium reduction when I'm off LID! Will be using after the LID. Uncle Bens Ready Rice Brown Basmati it is said that basmati rice is the best rice for LID because it has a lower amount of naturally occurring iodine. Thank you for this post! The amount varies by typeof rice and where it was grown. Ingredients list 5 mg of sodium which I think occurs naturally. I followed the guidelines from thyca.org (http://thyca.org/download/document/229/Cookbook1pgEng.pdf). how do you tell if they are LID? Knowing myself, I would feel bad if I didn't follow the LID to the best of my ability. Also, Pomi makes a box of chopped tomatoes with no salt added. Im confused about butter. No sodium; 50 calories, 11g whole grain, gluten free. Anyone have Amy other easy tips? Its great on oatmeal. A few other bonuses are that a lot of this stuff is gluten free and organic. Jun 30, 2017 @ 14:29:40. I used it to cook a chicken dish that my family loved! Get the second one if you want to use it in coffee. THANKS SO MUCH!!!! Yes!!! thanks is iodine bad for us survivors? Here is the link to my original post https://www.inspire.com/groups/thyca-thyroid-cancer-survivors-association/discussion/no-iodized-salt-in-trader-joes-brand-products/. undefined will no longer be visible to you including posts, replies, and photos. You are so welcome! Delicious with the Elmhurst Milked Cashews. I know it's a low iodine dietso I am hoping with moderationI'm good. Jan 19, 2022 @ 11:56:42. Keebler Club Crackers a variety of Keebler crackers with allowed ingredients (dont get the cheese flavored ones) are safe for LID. It does get easier each time. -Trader Joe's Organic Banana Chips No whammies! They are till cheaper on a lot of things but they have also had to raise their prices because of the catastrophes going on in the USA in recent years (floods, droughts, bird flu, etc.). Just wanted to share my finds - hope it helps some others! Hi Question.. I almost bought them but I never seen it anywhere that anyone on a LID diet bought these products. Trader Joes Tuscan Pane Bread although many of Trader Joes breads do not have dough conditioners in them, most contain sea salt. Thank you for the kind comment. They do use sea salt in some of their products, but it is specifiedin the ingredients lists. We wonder why we're all taking pills for out blood pressure when two slices of bread can have half a days sodium serving before we even put anything on it!!!! Kosher Salt Kosher salt does not have iodine. I've noticed I've been jittery and feeling anxious today My hearts feels like its racing and I'm a bit short of breath at times.not sure of its what I'm eating/not eating or my meds. This is a link: https://lidlifecommunity.org/countries/usa/usa-foods/usa-breakfast/usa-other-breakfast/#jp-carousel-8956. I dont know about your husband, but I was way more anxious about RAI than the surgery. I hope everything is going well for you. Amy Publix Country StyleHashbrowns Peeled potatoes are allowed on LID. The ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association Support Community connects patients, families, friends and caregivers for support and inspiration. Great for soups, risotto, mashed potatoes, etc Make sure to read labels because the regular Progresso broths contain sea salt. It was great to have on hand to make soups. I started today on LID and I must say quite confusing. Their organic fruit leathers are good too!! I recently had a totally thyroidectomy and am now starting the LID in 2 days. Thank you so much for doing the homework on so much of this. Texas Pete Hot Sauce I was pretty excited when I found out I could have this hot sauce while on LID. Anyway, I was looking for suggestions on how to stay healthy and happy during this time like vitamin supplements or drinking lots of water or exercising lightly? Here is a link: http://www.conagrafoods.com/our-food/brands/fleischmanns-margarine-spread. Some brands contain salt, so read labels. However, that information will still be included in details such as numbers of replies. Peter Pan 100% Natural Peanut Butter I called the consumer information number on the package (1-800-222-7370) and inquired about the salt in the product. I found some canned green beans no saltyet sodium read 15mgis that OK to eat? Aug 19, 2019 @ 23:49:39. I think I was so hypo the first time I made a few mistakesNow that I'm doing my 6 month WBS I guess I'll find out how bad those mistakes were! recipesforsustenance Yes, I need to see the big picture and not focus on the bad, but that's easy for them to say! The "fixings" were all fresh had no seasoning on them at all. The company does not use iodized salt in the products that contain salt and they do not use carrageenan. They will also specify if they use sea salt instead of non-iodized salt, so you can avoid those products! -Cucumber Refrigerated Salad- keeps for 2 mo! When do you stop driving after going HYPO? It's almost like an applesauce and they are YUMMY! I start mine in three weeks and need to have some convenience items to have in the car - I have two children and with activities every night it is not possible to make things in the cookbook everyday. Add honey, cinnamon and sugar (or sweetner) and mash away! This blog was a time and life saver!! Mar 18, 2022 @ 02:37:56, Im sorry you are going through this. I hope all goes well for your husband. Of course, there may be regional differences so you should always check the ingredients list. My isolation was a great little vacation from real life. I used this coffee creamer to make Overnight Oats and was really happy with the results. Ill keep a good thought for him (and you). No iodized salt in Trader Joes Brand Products! We got a call this morning and I am happy to say grandma is doing great all things considered! Prior to discovering the iodine connection, I thought I was eating more healthfully with spinach, seafood, nuts, strawberries, yogurt, etc. Best wishes! Ugh! 3 before RAI and 2 after RAI. My husband is on LID for the first time, and youve helped tremendously! It is a LOW iodine diet, not a NO iodine diet, afterall. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Jan 16, 2023 @ 20:14:36. So, I hope I am not out of line by posting this but I was kind of hoping that you all might share some of your "yee-haw, I can eat this" snack/food ideas that you discovered you could eat while on the LID. any tomato sauce already prepared we can use? Finally I get home completely wiped out, sore from my fall earlier and I can't even think about making anything for dinner so I grabbed one of my new cashew & almond bars and it hit the spot! If they are, which ones? It doesnt taste half bad. As always, read ingredient lists. I contacted the company to see what type of salt they used in their products and got this response: I have received your inquiry regarding our Texas Pete Hot Sauce and the salt in our products. = Rough. I was miserable and hungry. Good Luck!! I start my LID tomorrow and begin tests on Feb 6 and RAI Feb 11th. Dec 21, 2017 @ 22:09:47. Hope that helps! 18 g whole grain. Also, is sparkling water ok to drink? Does anyone know of anywhere else maybe closer to Boise Idaho that I can get Rich's creamer (i.e. Good Luck! An airbed does not seem comfortable. https://thyca.org/download/document/408/LIDSlides.pdf. I may just use sugar in my coffee and live without my milk/creamer. Best wishes! It has really helped me get ready for the LID. Thank you for this awesome list! Zero % sodium. Glad to see Publix brands too! If anyone else knows of any grocery items, respond to this and maybe we can make a master list to help others! Zero sodium.while it says Sugar Fire sauce is a dessert sauce- we used it on grilled chicken, hamburger patties, etc. No one is very savvy about iodine, but just let them know that any sea ingredient (kelp, fish, etc.) I worried about the salt or possible exposure to excess iodine, but since the meat did not taste like it had salt or seasoning at all I figured I should be pretty safe :) I had 16 days left before my RAI and I don't think that little bit of exposure if any will do much harm at least this far out :) I hope I am right! Today was my first day and I was feeling SO overwhelmed. It is best if rice is limited on LID. I think chocolate is on a lot of do-no-eat lists because it oftentimes contains milk products (think milk chocolate). I also ate a lot of their hummus, peanut filled pretzels, PB&J sandwiches with their bread and organic carrot juice (it's worth a try!). I have been reading through postsand trying to answer my questions through those so as not to bother anyonebut geez that takes too much timeso I have decided to postand many of you veterans will find yourself repeating yourself and for that I apologize. : ), Bernita Fraliex Yes, an employee will gladly go around the store with you to help you with restrictions. I loved their unsalted tortilla chips, and the unsalted nuts at TJ's were the best!! Other brands, such as Eden for example, say No Salt Added, but have kombu seaweed added (so stay away from those). Im glad I found this site. Our first 21 days on the diet we pretty much followed the diet from the thyca cookbook and it was so hard. I've found a few products, through the help of this website and through scouring the shelves of grocery stores, that have made cooking and eating while on the LID diet a bit easier. I ended up taking a lot with me, but I had no idea how long we would be there so I planned out so I would be covered until late last night :) I packed banana chips, apple chips, unsalted tortilla chips from Trader Joe's, fresh strawberries, "cuties", unsalted sunflower seeds, hard candies, Kosher salt (non iodized of course) in my salt grinder, my pepper grinder, garlic powder, lime juice and a couple other seasonings, an avocado to make guacamole, a knife so I could cut my avocado and bottled waters :) Also Enjoy Life chocolates, almond butter and grape jelly. Coconut milk can also be used to make a non-dairy whipped cream. Coconut milk can also be used as a coffee creamer in a pinch. Hunts No Salt Added Ketchup This stuff wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Im assuming it was good since you posted all of these items. Jul 15, 2019 @ 02:04:12. Both my husband and I have thyroid cancer, his being Papillary and mine Follicular. Whole Foods Here are some of the fruits you can eat on LID: Bananas, apples, kiwi, peaches, pears, all berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc), pineapples, mangoes, cherries (not Maraschino cherries, though because of the red food dye), all citrus (oranges, lemons, grapefruit, limes, mandarin oranges, clemantines, tangerines, etc), grapes, pomegranates, figs, papaya, avocados, plums, persimmons, and melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, etc). My iodine level didn't drop enough when checked via blood work. Best wishes! Tips for Less Stressful LID Food Preparation: **Always consult with your medical treatment team and follow their current food list during your LID**, Some blog readers reported their physicians told them to avoid beets during the LID- These chips contain mostly sweet potatos with some beet chips- if you have been advised to avoid beets- simply pick out the beet chips and save for another family member. I love rye bread and was really happy to find out that the Pepperidge Farm brand is safe. I got some ground beef at Trader Joe's this past weekend just to eat. I think I will deserve comfort. I was happy to see that my store brand hashbrowns did not contain salt. Both probably have more but I had limited time to shop. Is that advised? Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves goes great with peanut butter. Salt is listed in the ingredients list, but I called the company and was told that they do not use iodized salt. Trader Joe's -Trader Joe's Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats I'm in the process of making a food list so I can shop and prepare. I have the cookbooks but am wanting breakfast and snack ideas not in the cookbook. Purchased at Fresh Market. Dole Fruit Squish'ems! Hang in there, mama. recipesforsustenance Seeing it all written out helps me to think about everything that I can have on a low iodine diet instead of what I cannot have. It is NOT iodized. Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye (Seedless or not) Bread I love rye bread and was really happy to find out that the Pepperidge Farm brand is safe. This granola is delish! Sea Salt contains naturally occurring iodine and sea salt will be disclosed when used.