When I was in Bangkok, Tom yum goong nam khon was made with coconut milk and not condense milk like you mentioned. Thank you for the video. Next time I will leave it whole and take it out before serving. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Its definitely the best Ive tried so far. Free Bonus: Click the button below to download a PDF copy of this tom yum soup recipe (for FREE). Thank you Mark.. arigatou from Tokyo. I need to work on the effect of varying the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. and looking forward for another great recipes.. Youre welcome, thank you Fahmi for all your support! Usually the traditional version would be made with just the shrimp tomalley, and then fresh chilies. Came back to Srilanka which Is my native place and tried your excellent instructions. Hey Dave, nice to hear from you, thank you for sharing. This was the easiest and one of the best I have come across. Otherwise, the soup came out DELICIOUS! Tom Yum Goong is one of my favorites. If youre using shrimp for this tom yum recipe, you might get some foam build up on top of your soup, in which case you can just lightly skim it off the top and toss it out. So I decided to make it myself. Add lime juice, then taste. Actually I miss Thai food so much I allmost go cracy. You have the best descriptions of your recipes and your videos are really informative. Awesome! I was so happy to have found all these ingredients today. Stir in sugar and fish sauce, simmer for 1 minute. The recipe for this dish varies but the broth is usually made from chilli paste that contains krill paste (kapi), shallots, coriander roots, sour tamarind (som makaam), palm sugar and fish sauce. It was awesome and everyone in the family wants it again. But first, watch the video for exact detailed instructions: (If you cant see the video, watch it here: http://youtu.be/lCmAvdvRC3U), Time: About 30 minutes Once I bought frozen shrimps from Thailand. Im not totally sure how to make it, but I will try to make a recipe in the future. Sensacional tu trabajo culinario e informativo de tus viajes. Thanks! Im so glad I landed here. Thank you. It was very helpful. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, until they turn a bright and deep orange. The most important part of Tom Yum is the aroma of real Kafir lime leaves, there is NO SUBSTITUTE. Hey Talal, great to hear from you, glad you made tom yum and you enjoyed it! Maybe Im not using enough kaffir lime leaves/lemongrass? For this recipe, I took out about of the tom yum and set it aside as the clear version, and then made the other as the creamy version. I brought home one of those stainless pots with place for a burner underneath are those just for serving the soup at the table? Take about 1 thumb sized chunk of the root part of galangal, and chop it into slices. It consists of shallots, lemongrass, fish sauce, minced fresh ginger or galangal, shrimps, mushrooms, kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, and minced Thai chili peppers. Reheat gently in a pot over medium-low heat or in the microwave. I WILL BE VERY GLAD TO GET THE RECIPE OF TOM YUM SOUP CHICKEN. Didnt tell her that i was also using your recipe, but if I hadnt known better, Id guess she had read your recipe. Ive been wanting to have a go at making Tom Yum for sometime now. Thanks for sharing Dan, glad it turned out well. Then just slice it diagonally into 1 inch strips or so. YieldServes 2 to 4, Makes 2 to 4 servings, fresh makrut lime leaves (each leaf looks like 2), unsalted chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth, uncooked peeled and deveined large or jumbo shrimp, nam prik pao paste (also known as chile jam). Happy cooking! I will definitely let you know if I come to visit Calgary in the future. (?!?!?) Can you share some tips on how the soup would taste if it needed either? Do you eat everything that is put into the soup? Thanks for the recipe! Thank you for the website sharing the recipes! Thanks a lot for your delicious recipes and your great job. The roasted chili sauce and creaminess from the evaporated milk will alter the flavors from the clear version, so you might need more lime juice and more fish sauce. Tom Kloang Pla Salid Makaam On from The Local (Bib Gourmand) Tom som. The basic Tom Yum is the clear soup version called Tom Yum Nahm Sai which has a clean, aromatic, sour taste. I also cut the heads of the prawns and let those cook early on. My family loves the soup I made. i.e. It sure is rice to be here! Hey Shane, thank you very much for your kind words, glad you love cooking Thai food as well! Use the heavy object to also bruise 5 fresh makrut lime leaves, then tear each leaf into about 8 pieces. Did I miss something there on my maiden voyage? Great taste but the lemon grass was really tough and chewy and stringy. Made this tonight with chicken and prawns. Just keep taste testing until its exactly how you like it. Prefer tum yum with reddish color, but without the milk. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Yes, that would be part of Marks success for sure, his determination always impresses me. I love my very own Thai kitchen & your recipe. The beauty of many Thai dishes is that they freeze really well. This recipe is to die for. I just tried to make this tom yum goong nam sai and it was excellent! Combine the tom yum paste and oil in a bowl, then add the sweet potato . Sprinkle 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves on top just before serving. Thank you so much. They all look great. I like to use something called nam prik pao () in my recipe for tom yum, and its especially necessary if you make the creamy version. Hi Mark, great to hear from you, glad you love tom yum as well, and with pork ribs that sounds delicious! I thought of making a bigger batch of the soup to use as an all-purpose stock as The veggies (broccoli, carrot, onion) were all very crispy, as though they were stir-fried then tossed into the soup at the end. Through my recipes, Im aiming to provide a realistic amount of ingredients of how youd find the dish in Thailand. Perry is a food writer, photographer, and recipe developer based in New York City. Hi Shayne, good to hear from you and that you like tom yum. Hi Fred, yah I think that would be fine, or just feel free to reduce the fish sauce in the recipe. Add the chiles and lime juice to the pot and stir to combine. Finally chop up a handful of fresh cilantro, throw it in the soup, and give your tom yum a final stir. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; Thank you for sharing this recipe! Ramen, a Japanese noodle soup, is sometimes . You may be able to switch out ginger for galangal, but without keffir leaves just dont waste your time. Tried it out while video chatting with my GF back in Thailand, following her instructions. I make a base stock now and freeze what I dont use. Thanks again Mark. Way better than restaurant xx. I LOVE Thai food and you have made it so simple with detailed ingredients that Im now able to try on my own!! Growing up Im used to the nam khon version so it was very exciting for me to finally making it myself :) This is the flavour I fondly remember. But straining them out would work well also. Asian store that have large Southeast Asian customers will sell it in fresh vegetables area. Im trying to prove to her that I can cook. Dan! See also Bangkok and the Kingdom of Siam It just fell into my laap. Also about 10 tablespoons of evaporated milk. So I bought a Kafir lime tree which Im growing in a 5 gallon pail just to get fresh Kafir leaves. Better than the Tom Yum we have bought in the last from the local Thai shop!! I used to have a little place I went to in my hometown for Tom Yum when I was feeling under the weather or downright sick. Are we able to freeze the creamy soup please? :). Tom yum, or sometimes referred to as "tom yam," is a soup that originated in Thailand. You are Siu Mai type. Love your presentations, as they are to the point and easy to follow. Thanks for very detailed and careful step by step. Not good at all? Thanks!! Was searching for a good authentic Tom Yum Soup recipe, when came across your website. Siu Mai god, these are tasty. Does it come out of a can? I tried it. Jokes aside, they love your meals. Yield Serves 2 to 4, Makes 2 to 4 servings Prep time 5 minutes Cook time 13 minutes Show Nutrition Ingredients 1 stalk lemongrass 5 fresh makrut lime leaves (each leaf looks like 2) 1 quart unsalted chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth 8 ounces Much appreciated, as I love asian food of all kinds. I didnt see this in the instructions, but before adding the meat, I strained out the lemongrass, lime leaves, chillis, galangal and garlic. Ive had Tom Yum Goong Nam Sai a number of times and I have never had it without Tamarind. Can I use anchovy paste instead? cant wait to try this recipe, thank you so much! Then, I like to use a mallet to lightly pound the lemongrass to release the flavors. Made it as shown except only used about one lime total. Trust me, it came out so well even my family did not believe me that I did it. Thank you again, Ill try to get more recipes out soon. Hey Anastasia, thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it! Tom Yum Goong is my favorite food on this planet. He lovedddd it! Im looking forward to trying the many other recipes youve been so kind to post. This is one of my favorite soups, and I try to order it up whenever I can. She cooks every day, and somehow eats even more often. The broth is my favorite part: Close-my-eyes delicious. My suggestion is try the real word KUNG it might sound right. Keep calm and curry on. Hi Erica, thank you very much, and great to hear you enjoy Thai food! I hope i can get that prick pao paste here in qatar but what if its not available here,do you have any substitute for that chili paste? Couldnt find the kaffir leaves but didnt seem to make a difference! Have a great day! Got a freezer full of pastes and had massaman curry this week. When i was in Thailand they added everything to the bowl. A problem I have faced on and off when making tom yum is that the soup tasted a little too fishy for my liking (despite using no more than two tablespoons of fish sauce). And absolutely five stars! Some puns are easy to figure out, but some can make you think a little bit more. I think it might be due to using the amount of lemongrass and galangal. Thank you! At this stage, youll need to taste test and evaluate. Then add a big handful of . Boil your soup with all the herbs in it for about 10 minutes, and you can go ahead and toss in the shrimp and turn the fire to low. Hi, how do I DIY the chilli paste for the cremy version. All of the aromatics (lemongrass, makrut, chiles) freeze beautifully, so you should buy them in bulk and keep them wrapped and frozen. I personally love it with coconut creamand extra coriander and spring onions.. Its hard for me to tell whether the soup needs more fish sauce or sugar, as I dont cook with them very often. when I order Kweh Diao Sen Lek Tom Yum, they seem to have a red paste that they add to the regular clear soup its aroi mak mak (very delicious) and Id love to be able to replicate that at home too. As for the red paste, its probably prik pao? Really good. Thank you for the great recipe. It works like a charm. and I heard some people even further by make Tom Yum with wipcream. Just went through the net and found your recipe. Thats awesome, thank you for the message we are honored! Eat it with: Rice, and a spread of other Thai dishes. The best part of your cooking videos (too me) is when you try the food. If you love to eat tom yum soup (), you might already know about two main distinct variations of the dish. A list of Tom yum puns! Tom Yum Goong () is a Thai soup that's meant to be eaten with a variety of other Thai dishes. Reserve the meat and the shells separately. Thank YOU! Glad you love tom yum as well. I made the creamy version of this soup but with chicken and WOW!!! Oh nice. You are on the nose when you say to taste test and adjust accordingly. Normally the lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves, are just in the soup for the flavor, but not to be eaten. They Use ginger and chili, coriander herb, mushrooms, shrips, lemongras, galagal and kaffir. Thank you so much for going beyond the foods and cities, and providing recipes! Keep filming and penning the recipes. Normally in Thailand coconut milk is not used in tom yum, but its used in tom kha. For chicken, just substitute the shrimp for chicken, and I think you can add the chicken right as you start boiling the soup. Janice that Tom khlong which uses tamarind instead of the kafir lime for the sour flavor. It's not normally eaten as an individual bowl of soup, the way it would be in Western cultures, but instead it's a communal dish that goes together with other dishes and eaten with rice. Peel off and discard the tough outer leaves until you reach the smooth and pale inner leaves. But Id love to come back again, I will let you know, thank you for the invitation. So easy to follow after watching your video. I am never going to a Thai restaurant in North America again for this soup. Dear Mark, Thats what is used in Thailand. You now have Tom yum goong nam sai (), the clear version of tom yum. Recipe size: 1 pot of soup, probably about 5 6 bowls I would also slice the garlic next time too. My favorite! Truly authentic! 1 handful (10g) coriander leaves. Jicama / Mexican Turnip / Singkamas in Tom Yum Paste.Intro maker,. My apologies if I have offended you or any reader. I made it tonight and it was soooooo good. Great flavors for hot and sour soup. Am learning something new every day. Tom Yum Soup Recipe Instructions. I'm sorry if this is against the rules, but I'm planning a Bowie themed dinner for my husbands birthday. The soup need to simmer a while to make the ribs fall-off-the-bone tender but they are delicious. This came out great! Slice about 10 limes and juice them all into a small bowl, and set them aside for later. the perfume is really respectable and it would make a change from veggie/chicken/beef stock. I used goong mae nam (), or freshwater shrimp. So, i will add the paste, but not the milk. The Best Spicy Thai Soup (Authentic Tom Yum) - YouTube 0:00 / 11:49 The Best Spicy Thai Soup (Authentic Tom Yum) Joshua Weissman 7.51M subscribers 956K views 1 year ago One of the best. The most voted sentence example for tom-yum is Never before had I had chili i. So happy you posted this. And yes, definitely a major part of cooking Thai food is taste-testing and balancing out all the flavors and ingredients. Hi Mohamed, youre welcome, glad you love tom yum goong as well. It exploits multiple meanings of words, or plays with words that sound similar but have different meanings. Hey Jayantha, haha, thank you so much for sharing your story! Preparing the creamy version today. I strained the broth before adding the sliced onion, sliced chicken, tomato, Thai basil, cilantro and chili paste.