They shall not labor in vain or bear children for calamity, for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of theLord, and their descendants with them. OpenBible.info What is Threshing? Nevertheless, among those that chew the cud or part the hoof, you shall not eat these: The camel, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. What Does It Mean That There Is No One Holy Like God? Geocoding And thus said Jehovah: For three transgressions of Damascus, And for four, I do not reverse it, Because of their threshing Gilead with sharp-pointed irons, - Youngs Literal Bible For thus saith the LORD: For three transgressions of Damascus, yea, for four, I will not reverse it: because they have threshed Gilead with sledges of iron. Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear., 2 Chronicles 24:1-26:23 Joash was seven years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem. 2. With a small company of men he defeated a large army of Judah 2 Chronicles 24:23-24. Here the LORD said He would break the bar to allow Damascuss enemies to enter. Joash, king of Judah, bought him off, when advancing against Jerusalem, with everything of gold, consecrated or civil, in the temple or in his own treasures 2 Kings 12:18. (3) Three transgressions . Yahweh says, according to Amos, the he will not revoke the punishment such sins deserve. Farming, which involves cultivating the land and raising livestock, is a part of agriculture. The work is never done. 4 So I will send a fire on the house of Hazael, and it shall devour the strongholds of Ben-hadad. Gaza represents the alliance of Philistine citiesAshdod, Ashkelon, and Ekron [Gath is not named here]in southwestern Palestine. 10:3233). Z. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Rezon renewed, throughout the later part of Solomons reign, the aggression of Hadad. J So I will send a fire upon the house of Hazael, and it shall devour the strongholds of Ben-hadad. . Y . Proverbs 12:11 Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.Proverbs 28:19 Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty.Deuteronomy 28:12 The LORD will open to you his good treasury, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hands. Not the ethics and the morality of the fathers community. 2 Chronicles 21:16-17)and removed them to Edom (which is located southeast of Judah). And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. The art and concealment of man in approaching a maiden is of a subtler kind than things in nature which leave no trace of themselves, the eagle in the air, the serpent on the rock, the ship in its pathway through the waves Proverbs 30:18-19. Because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron - The instrument, Jerome relates here, was "a sort of wain, rolling on iron wheels beneath, set with teeth; so that it both threshed out the grain and bruised the straw and cut it in pieces, as food for the cattle, for lack of hay." A similar instrument, called by nearly . Agriculture is the broad term for everything that goes into growing crops and raising animals, to provide food and materials that people can use and enjoy. Publisher: OpenBible.info. Blog, A There Elisha announces the coming death of Ben-hadad but weeps over the future that Hazael will bring to Israel. The city of Damascus was called under judgment because that nation threshed Gilead with implements of iron (Amos 1:3) or behaved with unnecessary cruelty against a conquered people. 24:22) with stone or metal teeth embedded in the bottom side were dragged over the grain by these animals. Its native historian admits that the Damascenes were, in the time of David, and continued to be, the aggressors, while he veils over their repeated defeats, and represents their kings, as having reigned successively from father to son, for ten generations, a thing unknown probably in any monarchy. at least and that is a COMPARED TO WHAT 5 I will break the gate bars of Damascus and I will cut off the inhabitants from the Valley of Aven and the one who takes . You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. a aq as _ \\ \ \ \ ss ce ake i arthur s. phelps his booke god give him grace. Five of these canals are led off from the river at different elevations, before it enters the plain. 1 Kings 19:17 And it shall come to pass, that him that escapeth the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay: and him that escapeth from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay. Does a young lion cry out from his den, if he has taken nothing? Hazael not only took from Israel all east of Jordan 2 Kings 10:32-33, but made the whole open country unsafe for the Israelites to dwell in. For their brutality, Syria is promised judgment. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. K And Joash did what was right in the eyes of theLordall the days of Jehoiada the priest. Joel 3:4-8). The place called Beth-Eden refers to an Aramean state located on the Euphrates River south of Carchemish. With lifted hands and eyes invokes relief. Sin in full bloom. If God is for us, who can be against us? .--This form of transgression, which occurs eight times in the prologue, is not an arithmetical, but a strongly idiomatic phrase, signifying "multiplied or repeated delinquencies" (Henderson). And in the fourth year all its fruit shall be holy, an offering of praise to theLord. Such atrocities would not be unknown in the ancient world. Proverbs 12:11 says, Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense.Proverbs 28:19 says, He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread: but he that followeth after vainpersonsshall have poverty enough. Deuteronomy 28:12 says, The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. Both instruments are alluded to in the O.T. Probably not the punishment in itself alone, but the attempt so to extirpate the people of God brought down this judgment on Damascus. Threshing SledgeThe purpose of threshing was to separate usable grain from the waste straw or chaff. And as we are faithful to the Lord our God, He will bless the works of our hands and make them successful. I really like this study. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty., Genesis 37:7 Behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and behold, my sheaf arose and stood upright. The bar would secure the gate or the door to prevent outsiders from entering to hurt the residents of the city. This was to prevent the earth from again being filled with violence (Genesis 6:11). "because they have threshed Gilead with threshing sledges of iron" (1:3) "because they carried into exile a whole people to deliver them up to Edom" (1:6) "because they delivered up a whole people to Edom and did not remember the covenant of brotherhood." (1:9) 1. And you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow.Deuteronomy 28:8 The LORD will command the blessing on you in your barns and in all that you undertake. We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads. E The expression one who holds the scepter is a figurative way of talking about someone who occupies a royal position. N . Damascus (Syria, also called Aram) threshed Gilead. In this second volume on the Minor Prophets, Dr. Bailey discusses the books of Joel to Zephaniah. Nor will they say, Look, here it is! or There! for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.. Amos 1:3 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron: : Strong's LIT Online Bible Project The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. : The waters of the river were spread over the surface of the soil in the fields and gardens; underneath, other canals were tunnelled to collect the superfluous water which percolates the soil, or from little fountains and springs below. Hazael, like others gradually steeped in sin, thought it impossible, but did it. Frequently threshing sledges (28:27) made of wood (2 Sam. When theLordrestored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. , Leviticus 19:19 You shall keep my statutes. Three years it shall be forbidden to you; it must not be eaten. Likewise, patience is a needed virtue for life. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Because of the Arameans war crimes, the LORD said He would send fire upon the house of Hazael and it would consume the citadels ofBen-hadad. You shall do likewise with your vineyard, and with your olive orchard.Leviticus 19:23-25 When you come into the land and plant any kind of tree for food, then you shall regard its fruit as forbidden. All the fields have to be checked. I will not turn away the punishment thereof. Will the sun really be turned to darkness and the moon to blood (Joel 2:31). A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever. So the handmaid which displaceth her mistress Proverbs 30:21-23 is more intolerable and overbearing than the others. From Omri also Benhadad I took cities and extorted streets, probably a Damascus quarter, in Samaria itself 1 Kings 20:34. Meonothai fathered Ophrah; and Seraiah fathered Joab, the father of Ge-harashim, so-called because they were craftsmen. of Why Did Jesus Talk So Much About Agriculture? Then follow Edom, Ammon, Moab, who burst the bonds of blood also. Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. This is what the LORD says: 'For three sins of Damascus, even for four, I will not relent. You cant speed that up. It lay on the best route from the interior of Asia to the Mediterranean, to Tyre, and even to Egypt. 306: -. Not only would the kingdom of Aram fall, and its rulers have their authority crushed, its people would be conquered and taken into exile by its conquerors. For the prophet had no mission to them; he only declares to Israel the ground of the visitation which was to come upon them. Animals have to be fed, crops have to be watered and fertilized, and it doesnt matter how the farmer feels on that particular day. Isaiah 41:15 Behold, I make of you a threshing sledge, new, sharp, and having teeth; you shall thresh the mountains and crush them, and you shall make the hills like chaff;Matthew 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.Genesis 1:11-12 And God said, Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth. And it was so. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. Salem Media Group. You are Gods field, Gods building., Deuteronomy 25:4 You shall not muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain.Judges 3:31 After him was Shamgar the son of Anath, who killed 600 of the Philistines with an oxgoad, and he also saved Israel.Leviticus 19:9 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest.2 Chronicles 26:10 And he built towers in the wilderness and cut out many cisterns, for he had large herds, both in the Shephelah and in the plain, and he had farmers and vinedressers in the hills and in the fertile lands, for he loved the soil., Matthew 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.Psalm 65:10 You water its furrows abundantly, settling its ridges, softening it with showers, and blessing its growth.Deuteronomy 24:19 When you reap your harvest in your field and forget a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it. Luke 9:62 Jesus said to him, No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.Isaiah 28:28 Does one crush grain for bread? And he told them many things in parables, saying: A sower went out to sow. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ). Will you? Not until God gave Israel a saviour, could they dwell in their tents as beforetime 2 Kings 13:5. Matthew 13:18 Hear then the parable of the sower:Ruth 2:17 So she gleaned in the field until evening. Does he continually open and harrow his ground?Ecclesiastes 5:9 But this is gain for a land in every way: a king committed to cultivated fields., Hosea 10:12 Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek theLord, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.Micah 4:1-4 It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of theLordshall be established as the highest of the mountains, and it shall be lifted up above the hills; and peoples shall flow to it, and many nations shall come, and say: Come, let us go up to the mountain of theLord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths. For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of theLordfrom Jerusalem. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material.Genesis 1:1-31 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. If Amoss preaching bears witness to his insistence that nations need to acknowledge their sin, should not our preaching do the same? He, having carried war against David, king of Judaea, and disputed with him in many battles, and that finally at the Euaphrates where he was defeated, had the character of a most eminent king for prowess and valor. Some believe that the Syrians used threshing tools with iron teeth to torture or kill prisoners, pregnant women and children. He condemns violent aggression (perhaps even torture and wanton killing), enslavement of populations, and the slave trade. God stated that He would also break the gate bar of Damascus. P And the whole crowd stood on the beach. Through studying this beautiful exposition on each of these eight books, you will gain understanding of the historical events and the countless precious spiritual applications and prophetic utterances that apply to the church today. It includes: Complete but concise outlines of every Old Testament book A . If you go into your neighbors standing grain, you may pluck the ears with your hand, but you shall not put a sickle to your neighbors standing grain., Micah 4:12 But they do not know the thoughts of theLord; they do not understand his plan, that he has gathered them as sheaves to the threshing floor.Amos 1:3 Thus says theLord: For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment, because they have threshed Gilead with threshing sledges of iron.Leviticus 19:9-10 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. (LogOut/ Whatever parts the hoof and is cloven-footed and chews the cud, among the animals, you may eat. Proud member Sie suchen nach einem 70413 lego, das Ihren Ansprchen gerecht wird? A busy threshing floor was a symbol of a plentiful harvest; a bare one indicated famine, and perhaps God's judgment. A good tree doesnt produce bad fruitsconsider a grain of wheata sower went out to sowin story after story, Jesus Christ made use of scenes from everyday farm life to explicitly illustrate His points about the gospel and the kingdom of God. THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL It was no part of the territory assigned to Israel, nor was it molested by them. I would like to bring this forward in how we hear Amos,as individuals in the kingdom of THE FATHERS NEW COVENANT RELATIONSHIP. 5 I will break the gate bars of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitants from the Valley of Aven, and the one who holds the scepter from Beth-eden; He wept because he knew the evil that [Hazael] will do to the people of Israel. In particular, Hazael will set their fortresses on firekill their young men with the sword, dash in pieces their little ones, and rip up their pregnant women (2 Kings 8:12). Amos specifically notes one defining cultural sin. The LORD was the one who gave His words to His prophet. More than a Bible handbook but less than a commentary, Nelson's New Illustrated Old Testament Survey provides a section by section breakdown of issues and topics dealt with in the Hebrew Scriptures. The advantage of its site doubtless occastoned its early choice. The punishment is first denounced upon their enemies, and that, for their sins, directly or indirectly, against themselves, and God in them. 2007. : the drag (or board), under the same name rtz (properly something sharpened) which it has in Amos 1:3, in Isaiah 28:27, "For not with a sharp threshing-board is Nigella-seed [Tristram, N. H. B. p. 444] trodden out; nor is the wheel of a (threshing-) wagon turned about upon cummin," Job 41: . In this case, God Himself is making the judgement. It shall be for the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, that theLordyour God may bless you in all the work of your hands., Deuteronomy 22:9 You shall not sow your vineyard with two kinds of seed, lest the whole yield be forfeited, the crop that you have sown and the yield of the vineyard.Deuteronomy 28:1-68 And if you faithfully obey the voice of theLordyour God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you today, theLordyour God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. Visit the Bible online to search for words if you dont know the specific passage yourre looking for. Proverb: Because of the three transgressions of and because of four, I will not cause (him/it) to return.. Of Damascus - Damascus was one of the oldest cities in the world, and one of the links of its contact. The sun rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises. On the schism of the ten tribes, the hostility of Damascus was concentrated against Israel who lay next to them. Isaiah 23:8). They reach nearly to Anti-libanus westward, and extend on both sides of the Barada some miles eastward. And as such, it was easier and more effective, to point to a farmer in the field, the numerous plants growing around them, or the shepherds tending nearby flocks and reference the heart of God or another gospel truth about Gods kingdom. His mothers name was Zibiah of Beersheba. Certainly Hadadezer stands cut conspicuously; the Damascenes are mentioned only subordinately. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.Deuteronomy 28:8 says, The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. Isaiah 7:8 For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people. And he answered, Because I know the evil that thou wilt do unto the children of Israel: their strong holds wilt thou set on fire, and their young men wilt thou slay with the sword, and wilt dash their children, and rip up their women with child. A threshing sledge was made of wooden boards embedded with sharp stones or iron teeth. Where the water of one is diffusing life and verdure over the surface, another branch is collecting a new supply. In former days these extended over the whole plain to the lakes, thus irrigating the fields and gardens in every part of it., Damascus then was, of old, famed for its beauty. For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish.Jeremiah 5:24 They do not say in their hearts, Let us fear theLordour God, who gives the rain in its season, the autumn rain and the spring rain, and keeps for us the weeks appointed for the harvest., Ezekiel 27:17 Judah and the land of Israel traded with you; they exchanged for your merchandise wheat of Minnith, meal, honey, oil, and balm.Matthew 9:37 Then he said to his disciples, The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;Isaiah 30:24 And the oxen and the donkeys that work the ground will eat seasoned fodder, which has been winnowed with shovel and fork.Isaiah 28:24 Does he who plows for sowing plow continually? Its whole plain was intersected with canals, and tunneled below. The word transgression refers to acts of rebellion committed against someone in authority, such as when Israel rebelled against the house of David (1 Kgs. Without the Barada, says Porter, the city could not exist, and the plain would be a parched desert; but now aqueducts intersect every quarter, and fountains sparkle in almost every dwelling, while innumerable canals extend their ramifications over the vast plain, clothing it with verdure and beauty. On some days, the only thing the farmer can do is sit, wait, and hope for the best. See the passionate exclamation of Ulysses, in the storm, Odyss., lib. Change). On the west and north the city was far and wide fenced by orchards, like thick dense woods, which stretched four or live miles toward Libanus. VERSION, NIV Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica. Hazael probably became the instrument of God in chastening Israel, while he was avenging Jehus submission to a power whom he dreaded and from whom he had suffered. Why does Amos keep repeating for three sins . And you shall remember the whole way that theLordyour God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not. The brief notice, that through Naaman the Lord gave deliverance to Syria 2 Kings 5:1, probably refers to some signal check which Assyria received through him. Which words Virgil translates, and puts in the mouth of his hero in similar circumstances, Aen. The fact that his chief and confidential servant whom he entrusted to seek a wife for Isaac, and who was, at one time, his heir, was a Damascene Genesis 15:2-3, implies some intimate connection of Abraham with Damascus. Here in Amos, we see that the people of Damascus rebelled against the LORD because they threshed Gilead with implements of sharp iron. All time was measured by seven. God pictures Syria's cruelty toward Gilead (in northeast Israel) as a threshing sledge being run over His people. For this they will be judged by God. Get our Question of the Week delivered right to your inbox! VERSION, NIV Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica. , Ruth 2:7 She said, Please let me glean and gather among the sheaves after the reapers. So she came, and she has continued from early morning until now, except for a short rest.1 Chronicles 4:10-41 Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain! And God granted what he asked. The word, yea, denotes, that the seventh is some heavier trouble, beyond all the rest, which would seem likely to break endurance. Judging, probably, of Davids defensive conquests by its own policy, it joined the other Syrians who attacked David, was subdued, garrisoned, and became tributary 2 Samuel 8:5-6. Hesed, Does a snare spring up from the ground, when it has taken nothing? Chapter Parallel. More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free! For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, , Psalm 104:14 You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earthLeviticus 19:19 You shall keep my statutes. Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest.Job 1:14 And there came a messenger to Job and said, The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them,1 Corinthians 15:38-39 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body.