Thomas also made the AFCA and the UPI All-America teams in 1994 and was a consensus All-American his senior year. Apr 29, 2022, Reliving your high school football glory years often gets a bad rap. Thats what happened. 75 witnesses. Hall of Fame Enshrinement: Recapping speeches, best moments from class of 2020 ceremony. He said he typically has tunnel vision when it comes to his career, but he has considered the idea of going into coaching or broadcasting after his playing days are over. In addition, the Hall of Fame's Board of Directors decided by unanimous vote that the record-breaking Butler High School girls basketball team of the 1990s, coached by Linda Holt, will be . Drafted: 11th round . The 2022 class featured two former Red Raider letterwinners in Dick Stafford (Temple High School) and Rodney Allison (Odessa High School) as well as new head coach Joey McGuire, who was enshrined as . I was mad. [1] He is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. A five-sport athlete from Missouri State University, a Drury University All-American swimmer, a state championship Holden High School volleyball coach and a wrestling official will soon be inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. He had a team-high 90 tackles to go with seven sacks and 30 QB pressures in leading the Horns to an 8-4 record, a victory in the Sun Bowl, No. He had a career-best three sacks and was named the SWC Defensive Player of the Week after leading Texas to a 38-17 win over Baylor that year. McCoy earned bowl game offensive MVP honors three times in leading Texas to victories at the 2006 Alamo Bowl, 2007 Holiday Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl following the 2008 season. His 16 tackles for loss are still a UT freshman record, while his 10 sacks rank second on the UT all-time freshman list. Everyone knows Fairfield is built by Brackens. Because that was that the biggest stage of our career. The 2022 class of the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame, will be inducted May 7. A redshirt backup to Young on the 2005 National Championship team, McCoy led Texas to a 13-1 record and No. He scored 226 points for an average of almost 19 per game. Especially because there were times early on in Austin where he admittedly felt he didnt belong. Zach Thomas' recent election will add to the number . We may be honoring the past here today, but these athletes legacies continue on today and through tomorrow.. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. Tittle, Community Connector School Program presented by Optimum, Mr. Texas Football Player of the Year Award, North Texas Dance Team Spotlight presented by Children's Health, San Antonio Inspirational Coach of the Week, San Antonio Student Trainer Program Spotlight, Texas Children's Training Staff Superstars Award. All the coaches I worked with, I took a piece of what they taught me. Region VII Athletic Administrator of the Year, he was inducted into the Texas High School Athletic Directors Association Hall of Honor in 2015. Amdahl has also coached football at Albany High School for thirty-one years . But he considers himself blessed to still be playing football. In 14 games as a senior in 2009, the year he led Texas to a Big 12 title and the National Championship game, McCoy completed 332-of-470 (70.6 percent) for 3,521 yards and 27 TDs, while rushing for another 348 yards and three TDs. He considered turning pro after his junior year but returned for the 2009 season, because he thought the Longhorns had a serious shot to compete for a national championship. Texas was 18-6-1 in his final two seasons, won or shared both of those SWC titles and earned Top 25 rankings each year before Brackens declared early for the NFL Draft. Brackens, an All-American defensive end at Texas from 1993-95, and McCoy, a National Player of the Year and record-setting quarterback from 2006-09, were formally recognized and . WEST Khi Ritchies final shot hung on the rim for a tantalizing second, then curled into the basket and sent a delighted roar from the Loren. Dykes joined Texas Tech in 1984 as an assistant and took over the head job in 1986. Valdez can be counted as both an athlete and a coach due to his outstanding career in both arenas. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. He was flabbergasted when he got the news last fall that he had earned enshrinement into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. Im in my 70s, and my body has been through a lot, and I dont move as well as I used to. He received the Thom McAn Award as the best player in San . And he was right. Hours: Monday - Friday: 9am to 5pm Closed Saturday & Sunday. She continued her education with two years of undergraduate studies at Northwestern University and then graduated . Nobody could match our return game with Raymond and Willie Charles Dancer. The Texas High School Football Hall of Fame announces nine new inductees among its 2018 class. He has played in 52 career games with 33 starts and thrown for 7,195 yards and 33 TDs, while also rushing for 546 yards and two TDs. Lorena's John Henry and Wortham's Leonard Davis highlight the group, along with Los Angeles Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford, who played his high school ball at Highland Park. It was a tough journey, but I learned from all the coaches, and I think the relationships I had were really special.. From 1972 to 1979 he served as an assistant at Texas, New Mexico and Mississippi State. Delvin Williams; Vince Young (James Madison High School): Young, the most celebrated high school recruit of his time, led the University of Texas to its fourth NCAA national football championship in 2005. Other inductees include former Port Arthur Jefferson receiver Shea Walker, Mexia running back Ray Rhodes, Fairfield defensive tackle Tony Brackens, Temple standout Dick Stafford, Odessa quarterback Rodney Allison, Cedar Hill coach Joey McGuire, Midland Lee coach John Parchman and Iowa Park stadium announcer Robert Wilcox. Host: Cranks Rooters & Fans 26710 I-45 North (281) 419-3363. Ray Rhodes played at Dunbar and Mexia High Schools before going on to great success as an NFL head coach. The group includes five athletes, three coaches and one sports official. He had scored at least one TD in 30 straight games entering the 2009 BCS National Championship Game. WACO, TEXAS- The Board of Directors of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to announce the eight selected individuals who will be inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame on April 15, 2023. Streety was inducted into the Texas High School Coaches Association (THSCA) Hall of Honor in 1999, received the THSCA Tom Landry award in 2003 and was inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame in 2015. Loved playing for him. texas high school basketball coaches hall of fame. . Hall of Famers by School * denotes player went to multiple schools. His Wildcats had 19 seasons with eight or more wins, won 14 district titles, qualified for the playoffs 18 times and advanced to the state championship game three times. Colt McCoy, who twice won the Class 2A State Player of the Year honor at Tuscola Jim Ned before going on to great success at the University of Texas and in the NFL, will join the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame on Saturday. Published: Aug 07, 2021 at 07:39 PM. Other inductees include former Port Arthur Jefferson receiver Shea Walker, Odessa quarterback Rodney Allison, Fairfield defensive tackle Tony Brackens, Temple standout Dick Stafford, Tuscola Jim Ned quarterback Colt McCoy, Cedar Hill coach Joey McGuire, Midland Lee coach John Parchman and Iowa Park stadium announcer Robert Wilcox. Class . WACO, TexasLonghorn Legends Tony Brackens (Fairfield High School) and Colt McCoy (Tuscola/Jim Ned High School) have been inductedinto the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame as members of the class of 2022. When a game ends in a score of 43-36 one would expect it to be the result of a basketball or football contest not a softball game. 13 in 2006. George Seifert was defensive coordinator and later head coach with the 49ers, and he was brilliant.. Rhodes coached four years with the Eagles before becoming the Packers head coach in 1999 for one season. These nine will be formally recognized and inducted on May 7, 2022 at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco, Texas. Their plaques are on display in the high school entrance. Brice Cherry. Its a great honor, Im elated about it, Rhodes said. Inducted in 1965 ( profile) College Basketball Hall of Fame. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. 800 pieces of evidence. Amdahl was inducted into the MSHSBCA Hall of Fame in 2023. On Thursday night, during the NFL Honors awards show, we found out which players, coaches, and executives would be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the 2022 class. On Saturday, Rhodes will return to his roots when hes inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. What if, for i. As a running back, I would say I had decent speed and was more shifty, Rhodes said. It still burns today, after his award-winning run as the star quarterback at the University of Texas, and as he approaches his 13th season in the NFL. In addition, McQueen and his staff coached the winning team at the THSCA All-Star Game in 1979 and the Oil Bowl in 1980. He was a three year starter at linebacker (2001-2003) and second leading tackler in the Ivy League in 2002. Senior Night for the Midway girls soccer team couldnt have been more special. This is the fifth in a series of profiles on the 2022 induction class to the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. McQueen expected his players to be tough and disciplined, which was right up Rhodes alley. Get the latest news, schedule, scores, stats, league standings, rankings and photos for Pulaski's high school's Girls Basketball teams. But we had good teams both years I was there.. Guerrero officiated more than 1,000 football games over a 33-year career, retiring from officiating in 2021. Ten inductees were added to the Edgewood High School Hall of Fame during ceremonies held at the Edgewood Epicenter on October 7th. For Business Inquiries: [email protected]. . Now 71, Rhodes was thrilled when he heard he would be inducted with the 2022 class. At least five of them signed with NFL teams. In 2009, Brown was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame . I wanted to go for it every time. In his final game as a coach, McQueen led the West squad to an 18-15 victory in the first U.S. Army All-American Bowl Game in 2001. Youre in it together. Thank you to OUR SPONSORS. After the 49ers won Super Bowl XXIX with Rhodes as defensive coordinator, he became Philadelphias head coach. After a seven-year NFL playing career, Rhodes helped pave the way for Black coaches in the league as he rose from defensive backs coach with San Francisco to defensive coordinator for both the Green Bay Packers and the 49ers. McCoy's 147.4 pass efficiency rating ranked 16th, and he averaged 26.6 yards per TD pass on his 27 scoring throws. Texas High School Football Hall of Fame Inductees: Spike Dykes, Community Connector School Program presented by Optimum, Mr. Texas Football Player of the Year Award, North Texas Dance Team Spotlight presented by Children's Health, San Antonio Inspirational Coach of the Week, San Antonio Student Trainer Program Spotlight, Texas Children's Training Staff Superstars Award. After graduating from Tulsa where he played football, McQueen won three district titles at Mexia High School (1964-67), including the school's first in 16 seasons. His career high school coaching record is 90-40-1. At that time, she was only, the second female to win two golds in one year since the early 1950s. LUBBOCK, Texas - Texas Tech had three Red Raiders formally inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame Saturday evening during a ceremony at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco. Judge OKs autopsy finding as testimony starts in retrial of ex-Waco day care owner, Olympic-winning pole vaulter, pastor Bob Richards dies at 97, Man ejected from motorcycle in Waco dies Saturday night, Big stage doesn't faze La Vega girls, who believe they're more than ready, New Texas High School Football Hall of Fame class revels in reliving glory years, Texas High School Football Hall of Fame: Colt McCoy's small-town roots anchored his work ethic, Texas High School Football Hall of Fame: John Parchman gave Rebels something to yell about at Midland Lee, Lorena boys edge Mexia to reach regional tourney, 38-37, Central Texas basketball playoff pairings 2023, Midway girls soccer sending seniors out in style with district championship, High school notebook: Gholson-Meridian softball game features crooked numbers galore, Serena Williams says her daughter doesn't like playing tennis, FIFA called "tone deaf" for appointing supermodel as ambassador, Lawsuit alleges NFL database contains lewd photos of fans and cheerleaders, Dan Snyder is under investigation over line of credit taken out by Commanders. We couldnt be more excited to give football fans an opportunity to join us as we honor these outstanding Texas high school football players and coaches, said Hall of Fame board president Mike Anderson. I have a great relationship with my dad and he was a great coach, McCoy said. 75 witnesses. 762 overall coaching victories . An All-American and all-state defensive end at 3A Fairfield High School, Brackens was a two-way standout who also spent time at fullback and tight end on offense. Scott Drew Announced as Class of 2023 Inductee to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Places best explored by foot, all day and sometimes for several days. Talk'n Throws with Randy MatsonTexas High School State Champion Shot Put ( 66'10.5) and Discus (190'1) Junior & Senior yearFirst Texan to throw 16lb. Defensive end Tony Brackens and quarterback Colt McCoy were inducted as part of the Class of 2022. ABOVE: The 1985 state champion football team from Yates is considered one of the greatest in Texas history. The inductees were honored at an event on August 14th at the Delmar-Tusa Athletic Complex. However, he elected. At 35, McCoy knows he has more NFL years behind him than he has in front of him. I went to a really small school, so I played all the sports, McCoy said. Football: Jefferson City High School: Pete Adkins: Legends: 2013: Football: Jefferson City High School: Advertising Plus: John Q. Hammons Founders Award Winners: Harold Alcorn: Players: 1991 . He currently is the athletic director for New Braunfels Independent School District. After graduating from Tulsa where he played football, McQueen won three district titles at Mexia High School (1964-67), including the schools first in 16 seasons. A third-round selection by the Cleveland Browns in the 2010 NFL Draft, McCoy just completed his 12th NFL season. Im just grateful.. When you walk into the entrance of the Delmar-Tusa Athletic Complex going forward, you are bound to notice a new addition to the facilitya wall emblazoned with the list of some of the absolute best Houston Independent School District (HISD) athletes and students who have made their indelible mark and are now legends in the world of sports. Comprising the 45 th KSHOF class are . Baer, who led Lee in scoring 4 straight years, earned all-state honors and Scholastic Magazine All-America honors after rushing for 1,614 yards (8.7 avg) and scoring 33 TDs as a senior. He was a three-time All-Pro selection and was named to two Pro Bowls. Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. The RGV Sports Hall of Fame collects, preserves and exhibits memorabilia and statistical data of Rio Grande Valley sports for historical preservation, database collection and enjoyment. Produced one of the state's all-time great performances in what many observers judge the greatest high school game in Texas history. 10 ranking in 2007 and No. WACO, Texas - Longhorn Legends Tony Brackens (Fairfield High School) and Colt McCoy (Tuscola/Jim Ned High School) have been inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame as members of the class of 2022. Thats what I always have nightmares about. I wasnt a great hitter, but I would tackle you if you were big or small.. He was only the fourth Black NFL head coach in history, and enjoyed immediate success in 1995 as he earned coach of the year honors after leading the Eagles to a 10-6 record and the second round of the playoffs. Dates : July 20-September 10, 2006. WPIAL Announces 2022 Hall Of Fame Class. Region VII Athletic Administrator of the Year, he was inducted into the Texas High School Athletic Directors Association Hall of Honor in 2015. Rhodes always had an open ear for coaching and a great work ethic all the way back to his high school days as a running back and defensive back. Rockets Sign Willie Cauley-Stein to 10-Day Contract. In other words, less than two one-hundredths of a percent (.02%) of the individuals who have played the game have earned this distinction. There were eight eras represented: Pre-1950's, 1950's, 1960's, GIA, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's. Upon completion of the 100-person . Hall of Fame profile: The Game post-JFK in 1963 forever affected Linus Baer, Texas High School Football Hall of Fame Inductees: Linus Baer, Community Connector School Program presented by Optimum, Mr. Texas Football Player of the Year Award, North Texas Dance Team Spotlight presented by Children's Health, San Antonio Inspirational Coach of the Week, San Antonio Student Trainer Program Spotlight, Texas Children's Training Staff Superstars Award. View our inductees by year of induction below: 2021 Hall of Fame . Everyone knows Fairfield is built by Brackens. Colt was a coachs kid, as his father Brad was the head coach of the Jim Ned Indians in those days. A lifelong rider of the Houston sports bandwagon and a lifelong hater of vegetables, Brice Cherry has been named the Texas AP sportswriter of the year several times during his Trib career, which began in 1998. He was a head referee for 28 of those years and served as a Game Day. March 01, 2023 12:39 PM. Long before he bagged quarterbacks as a star for the Texas Longhorns and Jacksonville Jaguars, Tony Brackens was just a country boy from Fairf, As a young teenager growing up in the small Southern California town of Bellflower, Dick Stafford heard about a far away football powerhouse i, When Joey McGuire is on the road recruiting as Texas Techs first-year head coach, one of the perks is seeing a lot of old friends and peers w. Of course, Tuscola is also home to Jim Ned High School, where McCoys fire for the game of football was forged. The banquet will be 6 p.m. Saturday and will feature University of Texas and Bally Sports Southwest announcer Craig Way as master of ceremonies. Note: The Texas High School Football Hall of Fame will partner with Texan Live of Dave Campbells Texas Football to live stream this years induction banquet. A banquet will be held to present and honor inductees on Saturday, Feb. 5. 800 pieces of evidence. He has been sports editor since 2012. Pro Football Hall of Fame. He quickly cemented his dominance in the post by being . The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) has officially announced its inductees for the WIAA Hall of Fame classes of 2021 and 2022. He has coached as his alma mater, Weslaco High, since 2006. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, Texas High School Football Hall of Fame: Meet the Class of 2022, Nebraska cheerleader competes by herself at state competition, but crowd doesn't let her feel alone, Mike Copeland: Steak and Ale comeback; Paper plant progress; Bagby apartments; Gaines Booked Up, Elementary school music teacher leaves $6M to Baylor, Former NFL star Chad Johnson says he saved money by living inside Cincinnati Bengals stadium for 2 years, Lake on Waco Creek floated for park next to Floyd Casey development, Whizzbang's owner buys Health Camp with eye to preserving burger joint legacy, Fairfield may be built by Brackens, but it's supported by many parts, Waco Charter School to close after summer classes, Brice Cherry: Collen pushes all the right buttons in her best coaching performance yet, Giant solar project transforms landscape in southern Hill County. McQueen was an assistant to SMU Coach Hayden Fry for three seasons before returning to Temple in 1972. After his first two years at Dunbar High School, Rhodes began attending Mexia High School at the start of integration in 1967. It just happened to work out where Vince (Young) and the team won a national championship my freshman year, the year I was redshirting, McCoy said. Hall of Fame coach Chris Ault of Nevada, Washington athletic director Jennifer Cohen and Miami (Ohio) athletic director David Sayler are joining the College . From 1972 to 1979 he served as . While they lost to San Augustine, 28-7, in that state final, the Jim Ned players had already formed lifelong bonds that McCoy still appreciates today. As a junior in 2008, he set UT single-season records for passing yards (3,859), passing TDs (34) and total offense (4,420). He was also named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year by both The Associated Press and the league's coaches that year and earned that honor twice from The AP. Become a Member Today. The 2022 class of the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame, will be inducted May 7. Mexias young coach was Bob McQueen, who would later go on to a legendary career at Temple High School. In combining his passing (112) and rushing (20) TDs, McCoy finished his career ranked sixth on the NCAA's touchdowns responsible for list and first at UT in that category with 132. In fact, just last week, one of our ownRaevyn Rogersscored a bronze medal in Tokyo at the Olympics, in the womens 800-meter race. The Class of 2022 will honored on July 9, 2022 at the Brownsville Event Center. The RGV Sports Hall of Fame collects, preserves and exhibits memorabilia and statistical data of Rio Grande Valley sports for historical preservation, database collection, and enjoyment. Bill Arnspargar coached me when I was playing for the New York Giants, and he was a defensive genius. A former. The 79 tackles also rank among the top-10 freshman efforts on Longhorn record and his 59 solo tackles in 1993 are good for fourth-best among UT freshman. (That record has since been broken.) Don't miss the 2023 WHS Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony to be Held on Saturday, October 7, Congratulations to WHS Athletic Hall of Fame. Alabama won the game, 37-21, and Colt said he struggled for years to get over the disappointment of the feeling that he let his team down. After teaming with his brother Bart to lead White Deer to the 1988 1A state championship, Zach Thomas transferred to Pampa, where he was a two-time all-state linebacker. He also was a member of the AFCA Good Works team for his community service efforts. The nine former Georgia high school football players who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame earned automatic inductions, which included two former UGA players Champ Bailey and Fran Tarkenton. 25 ranking and a share of the SWC title as a sophomore in 1994. February 10, 2022 10:43 pm ET. Congratulations to our new media inductees! Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, Calvin Johnson, John Lynch, Alan Faneca, Drew Pearson, Tom Flores and Bill Nunn were elected for enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as members of the . Bible Scholarship Award as a senior. In fact, they'll be inducted with four eras . That's second only to Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Bobby Layne's 15 NFL seasons for a Longhorn quarterback. In 1987, she won gold medals in the 800-meter run and 1,600-m run. Its your boys, its your friends. High School: Weldon (Gladewater, TX) Pro Career: 15 seasons, 198 games. The event was attended by all but one of the living honorees, along with HISD Superintendent Millard House II and U.S. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Mack Brown recruited McCoy to Texas, ushering the young quarterback into a whole new world, one bigger than he had ever dreamed. Dykes retired with more wins (82) than any coach in Tech history. The Texas High School Football Hall of Fame strives to preserve the rich gridiron history in the Lone Star State. The yellow and black of Edcouch-Elsa already had a fearsome reputation before Joe Solis took control but as their football coach, Solis guided the Yellowjackets to a. Valley-record 37 straight wins from 2003-07. IRVING, Texas. The 2022 Kentucky Sports Hall of Fame Inductees and their families will be honored on Aug. 22, 2022, at the Galt House Hotel in downtown Louisville. Baer ran for 195 yards on 19 carries, caught 3 passes for another 94 yards returned a kickoff 95 yards for a TD and kicked 7 extra points to win a duel with fellow all-state RB Warren McVea, who ran for 215 yards and 6 TDs for Brackenridge. It includes former Temple linebacker Dick Stafford, Mexia running back Ray Rhodes, Cedar Hill coach Joey . Sportswriter at the Tribune-Herald since 1982. You have permission to edit this article. Thats just not something you think about when youre growing up in Tuscola, Texas. I think I was all right, Colt said, laughing, when asked about his punting abilities. The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). He played in 107 career games, starting 75, and had double-digit sack seasons in 1999 (12) and 2001 (11), including sacks in a franchise record eight consecutive games during the 2001 season. Inducted in 2017. That year, UT won the last-ever SWC Championship, finished 10-2-1, ranked No. Here's what to know as Alex Murdaughs murder trial winds down. Brackens, an All-American defensive end at Texas from 1993-95, and McCoy, a National Player of the Year and record-setting quarterback from 2006-09, were formally recognized and inducted on Saturday nightat the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco. A museum was opened in Waco to house the hall of fame in 1993. His 1983 team narrowly missed a state championship, losing to Converse Judson 25-21 in the 5A title game. Former Tribune-Herald and Bryan Eagle sports writer David G. Campbell played offensive line at Mexia during Rhodes era, and remembered the versatility he brought to the field. New Mexico State vs Bowling Green highlights from the 2022 College Football Season. After three years with Baltimore and ten with the 49ers, Tittle was traded to the New York Giants prior to the 1961 season. The list is populated with many greats such as Vince Young, Monica Lamb, Darrell Green, Ralph Cooper, Jackie Carr, David Lattin, and of course, the 1985 Jack Yates High School state champion football team. HOF Inductees; HOF Nominations; HOF PVIL; HOF Tom Landry Award; HOF Gordon Wood Award; HOF UIL State Champs; HOF Board; HOF Bibliography; HOF Collection; HOF Gift Shop; HOF Visit; Archive; Texas Football Today; Awards. That season he led the team with 131 tackles and was named SWC Defensive Player of the Year. McCoy said he still considers himself blessed that Brown gave him a chance. Hometowns dont get much more humble than Tuscola, Texas, where Colt McCoy grew up. Bobs a great coach, a legend, and he did a good job coaching and teaching us, Rhodes said. Thomas also played in the 1996 East-West shrine Game and the 1996 Hula Bowl. Also a standout off the field, he received the 2009 Bobby Bowden Award (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) and was a National Football Foundation (NFF) Scholar-Athlete and three-time first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection. In his first head job at Coahoma High School in 1964 he quickly led the Bulldogs to records of 10-1, 12-1 and a trip to the quarterfinals. Baer also had a 41.4 yard punting average. A linebacker at Texas Tech from 1992-1995, he made the All-SWC team in 1994 and 1995. He later coached at Belton, Big Spring and Alice. He has coached as his alma mater, Weslaco High, since 2006. The RGV Sports Hall of Fame is a not-for-profit organization whose mission it is to recognize men and women who have brought honor and recognition to the Rio Grande Valley through their participation in sports as an athlete, coach, official, trainer, journalist or other sports-related position. In 1989, Brown and Davey O'Brien were inducted together as members of the initial class of the Woodrow Wilson High School Hall of Fame, created in celebration of the school's 60th Anniversary. In 1989, a book entitled Friday Night Lights put the Odessa Permian Texas high school football dynasty into the national conversation. By Michael Hogue. But it was a nice surprise when I heard I was going to be inducted.. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). Write by: . Tamara Poppe, Joe Lara and Johnny Manziel will be officially inducted into the Tivy High School Hall of Fame in a special ceremony at 6:15 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9, at Antler Stadium, before the . That was a hard deal, and I think that anytime people go through that theyve got to back and lean on whatever it is they fall back to.