It does not take much to increase the compression. Temperature Of The Engine A heavy-duty engine gets hot faster and works better than a cold engine. The carburetor is a significant part of the chainsaw. It's also going to be wise to try to put the chainsaw somewhere that isn't exposed to constant sunlight since that can be a contributing factor to the oxidation. Move the selector lever up one position immediately or the saw will flood on the very next pull. I'm hearing thats just the nature of the beast. Although this is often true, it is not always the case. The choke position is the fourth setting on the master control lever. I would never put water in it! I would suspect the timing is too early. If it does maybe it is plugged. The piston and rings are very shiney. Pull the starter rope and look for a blue spark between the electrode of the spark plug. Does the saw have a compression release? If oil is in there it is what makes the engine feel like it is almost locked up. No it wouldn't go straight to crankcase because you would spray a light mist through air intake with hot engine and let it run for a while after doing it.You might want to do it with screen removed from muffler. Generally the minimum is 110 lbs. For the chainsaw to function appropriately, you must maintain the proper amount of tension on the chain. Usually, this happens when you use a chainsaw after a very long time or by wear and tear of the rope. Little two stroke motors as on chainsaws have to have a lot of compression to make the needed power. Quoting Removed, click Modern View to see Don't put water in the saw-ever. Hello EGBinOR, I will also add that if you have points, then the wrong gap will alter the point of ignition and can have the same results, Guido. They're easy to use and inexpensive, so if you are considering buying one for your home, there are a few quick things you Consumers in the Home and Garden sector turn to us for answers to their nagging questions about various goods and services. You can follow the steps on how to troubleshoot and revive it when it wont start. I hook up a drill to the nut on the clutch and start hard starting saws that way . I have had the cylinder off. The vibration of the tool during use can run some fasteners loose, preventing it from starting again. "height": 57 Admitted Woodaholic. A 250 is a joy to pull start Compared to my 200+ compression ported saws with no decomp. People sometimes try to cut down a tree that is too big for their chainsaw. Also try removing the spark plug and see how pull starter works, just trying to see if it could be binding in the recoil/starter assy or not. Soaking in water will do nothing but rust things up . If the chainsaw wont stay running when the engine is idle, adjust the carburetor. Remove the filter, engine control lever and Stihl carburetor. A drastic and frankly silly thing to do though . When there is no air for the spark to ignite, the chainsaw will start and then die after a short while. "userInteractionCount": 23 Take off the side cover, bar and chain and see if there is any play in the clutch side of the crank. Make sure there is oil in the engine. The following have been addressed. check the cylinder & piston for carbon build-up, how much compression Does the chainsaw Engine need, How To Reset Echo 58-Volt Battery Charger. Check for clogging around the bar oil. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. The recoil starter in a chainsaw is a start mechanism that allows you to pull the rope. The purpose of a choke in a chainsaw is to make cold starting more effortless, but if you do not use it properly. Quoting Removed, click Modern View to see That would be quite the trick to get the oil to separate out of the gas, LOL. You should also make sure the new gas you use is appropriate for the chainsaw. Also, remove the muffler and check for carbon buildup. Is the spark plug the correct one for the saw? Yeah, I must have flooded it as I was working on it. or Best Offer. If you regularly use the chainsaw, then there might be the possibility that your starter spring breaks off. Gas with ethanol also burns hotter than gasoline which can cause the engine to overheat and burn the plug electrodes. Then Google "decarb". If that is true, I'd suspect that the timing is off and why it's ripping the cord from your hand. The manual for this model, and the parts breakdown, show a compression release valve. The ideal pressure range of the Stihl chainsaw is between 90 and 110 psi. Hello D beatty, Here is a link for two stroke engine air cycle, Guido. Every chainsaw requires a specific amount of compression if this compression is more or less than the required amount, the engine will not be able to produce energy from the fuel source, and it will be exhausted faster. Make sure it's greased and the bushings are good. I hope you understand the problems why your chainsaw is hard to pull. However, if I push downward on the trigger button, it slows down to. You can check the compression by pulling the spark plug out and holding it in your hand. First thing I'd check is the pull start assy. It has barley been used, no carbon in muffler, still happens with muffler off, does not happen with sparkplug out. I think that's what I'd do. Animated Two Stoke Engine Air Cycle, My husky 266xp has been that away from newjust pull over slow for 2 or 3 times and then try cranking.. My husky 266xp has been that away from newjust pull over slow for 2 or 3 times and then try cranking.. JavaScript is disabled. Guido Quoting Removed, click Modern View to see What?? or Best . Normally it's not a problem but if it was already difficult to pull it could be. Cylinder Compression Plug Applicable Model For STIHL 021, 023, 024, 025, 026, 044, 046, 066, MS210, MS230, MS240, MS250, MS260, MS341, MS360, MS440, MS460, MS650, MS660 Chainsaw Parts Refer To Part No. It's possible the timing is off a little but without knowing the make and model of the saw that's just a long shot. When the air that reaches the chain saw's engine is insufficient, it becomes prone to overheating. That model is extremely easy to flood. My one and only MS250 was a kicker to start it but that was the only problem. Press J to jump to the feed. I've seen it happen a couple times. To ensure that enough air reaches the chain saw's engine, remove the air filter and clean or replace it, depending on the manufacturer's instructions. Wear rubber gloves and hold the rubber plug and spark plug about 1-2cm from the metal surface of the engine unit. Start new topic; Recommended Posts. Because of an absence of lubrication, the chain saw system becomes brittle, resulting in excessive compression of the chain saw mechanism. Make sure you have a gauge with a schrader valve right at the tip of the spark plug adapter or you will get a low reading every time. The spark arrestor in a chainsaw traps exhaust products emitted from an internal combustion engine. The plug should be tight against your thumb. I believe it was flooded, but I didn't think that little bit of fuel would make it that hard to pull but I guess so since it can't compress! 1. saw has new carb 2. flywheel has been removed and key inspected. Im Nelson, a DIY enthusiast with a bottomless can-do attitude. ", The saw feels good in my hands and its got a surprising amount of power. Then, use a wire brush to remove all the carbon build-up from the cylinder and piston. Any help out thereEGBinOR Get you some Sea Foam at the local auto parts store. Try it, it may just do the trick! I can probably find one with at most 65 PSI. Not sure it would accomplish anything on a 2-stroke chain saw engine. There are sprays (power tune) for removing carbon, but I doubt if that's your problem. It runs good after I get it started. Stihl 291 chainsaw too much compression Check the compression of the engine. If it does maybe it is plugged. Ivor from uk here and I have a stihl chainsaw and when I am hedge laying or pletching as it is called the saw only runs for 15 or 20 seconds or perhaps 1 minute at the most if there is a big cut to make the spark plug tip builds up with carbon,i use proper 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 25to1 does any pletching or hedge laying go on across the pond?? Remove the entire carburetor and clean it. Would have to remove spark plug and rinse cylinder with gas to be able to start. Over time or when using the wrong fuel, the fuel filter becomes too clogged and restricts fuel flow, killing the engine shortly after starting. To test the recoil starter, remove it and reposition the spring. It's also possible the piston or cylinder are scored or carboned up. This increased distance will cause the chain to keep coming out of the guiding bar with the vibrating saw. If it is flooded that should clear it up. You may also want to go ahead and replace the plug. If your chainsaws cylinder and piston have a lot of carbon build-up, it can cause the chainsaw to have high compression. I bought 2 032 Stihl saws at auction that pulled very hard. If you still want to try and get carbon out of the saw either take it apart and clean it or use something along the lines of sea foam. Now, how much compression the engine of a chainsaw needs depends upon its motor capacity and temperature. What ratio mix is he using? The Pulley compartment plays a massive role in retracting the ignition rope. I changed to synthitic. When it comes to compression values, those between 90 and 110 psi are deemed to be acceptable. It would give you rusted bearings. Greenworks Commercial GS181 82V 18-inch Chainsaw: 50cc gas equivalent power with a stock 18-inch bar and chain ( starting at $349) Replace with a new starter house Problem 2: Damaged pulley system Solution: 1. If the starter spring is keep working correctly, it will retract the ignition rope. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Several reasons can cause your Stihl chainsaw to bog down when your pull the trigger. You have an option to either pull off the starter and clean it or look for an ideal replacement for your starter house. However, these moving parts, to stay moving, require a substantial amount of compression. We have explained the most effective way to unflood a chainsaw engine below. STIHL MS 170 Chainsaw (NEW) full pack $295.00 $59.00 shipping Stihl MS170 Chainsaw Motor Fast Free Shipping $75.00 Free shipping or Best Offer Stihl 16 inch bar + Chain for MS170 - MS251 3/8 Pitch .043 Gauge 55 drivers $79.75 $25.45 shipping Only 3 left Stihl MS170 Chainsaw motor OEM Fast/Free Shipping $85.00 Free shipping or Best Offer The second thing, Read More Stihl Chainsaw Charger Not WorkingContinue, Your email address will not be published. If you buy another battery, make sure it has the same voltage and amperage as the old battery. Could be the main bearings are loose, look for evidence of the coil rubbing the flywheel. A 250 has a fair amount of compression for a smaller saw but not that bad. If the chainsaw engine dies when you release the throttle, turn the low-speed screw with a screwdriver clockwise until it stops and then turns it counterclockwise once. Most of the time, the chainsaw cord became hard to pull because of the Starter Housing. You can use a ratchet to do the task. You need to pull the exhaust to check that. If you introduce an extremely fine trickle of water into a running engine through the carburettor that may remove some carbon . Take off the side cover, bar and chain and see if there is any play in the clutch side of the crank. Take better care of your chainsaw and perform regular maintenance according to the manufacturers recommendations to prevent any of these problems. The Stihl 066 chainsaw uses the same type of engine most gasoline-powered yard tools use, a two-cycle combustion engine. Too much hot or cold engine does not work or even start to produce vacuum pressure inside engine. Your email address will not be published. Stihl MS290 MS390 MS310 Chainsaw Has Oil Tank Engine Housing Assembly OEM/ Bin G . I wouldn't go messing with the carb expecting to cure the issue unless you have obvious signs of flooding when trying to start. Just wondering what your opinions are of the lowest compression you can run a Stihl MS250 at. Check for clogged shafts and jets, clogged carburetor, damaged valves, stuck levers, and damaged or warped diaphragms, all of which can interfere with the fueling process. Check the chain tension and adjust it if it is too loose or tight. Too much carbon will do that, check the piston top and combustion chamber. The ignition coil transmits electricity to the spark plug to create a spark that ignites the engine. I bought an old beater 621 Jonsered once that had very high compression, got it running well and sold it, made some money on it! Suitable Replacement Stihl MS 250 C Compression Release Parts The Stihl chainsaw comes with a sturdy body, strong teeth, and a smooth rotating bar to help you cut through trees, ice, and even concrete with ease and precision. Could be the main bearings are loose, look for evidence of the coil rubbing the flywheel. On a 2 stroke the water would go into the crank case first and pool up. Little two stroke motors as on chainsaws have to have a lot of compression to make the needed power. By getting your pool ready for the winter, you can make sure it will be ready to use in the spring. A reddit for all operators of chainsaws to post experience with tools, pictures of their new saws and old workhorses and any maintenance tips. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected. But the saw just has a rubber piece on the top shroud with a slotted nut that just fastens it to a stud on the cylinder head, where the valve should be. As the guide bar wears down with use, the bar heel- the part of the bar nearest to the drive sprocket- also wears down, which increases the distance the chain travels as the bar grooves become less effective. Could be the main bearings are loose, look for evidence of the coil rubbing the flywheel. Any ideas? You will notice the compression less. However, this will vary by model and compression readings alone are not enough to determine the condition of the engine. Are you sure the starter rope isn't a little too short? Oct 7, 2019 / Minimum compression for a Stihl 2 cycle #3 the actual numbers will vary from one tool to another Getting accurate numbers without special tools is quite difficult because of the small volumes. Remove the right side cover, bar, and chain. I;ve read somewhere to put water? Once the 250 is running, its fine. It works when cold-starting the engine, when the engine is idle and when the engine is open. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. 24" is what I've got on mine, but it can handle a bigger bar. It's also possible the piston or cylinder are scored or carboned up. NelsGarage will share the knowledge Ive gathered about different tools and give you tips to accomplish your DIY projects faster. Modern View Forum powered by phpBB 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Have had it into dealer and nothing wrong with it and dealer said that from time to time they see saws come in with nothing wrong with them but have increased compression. Other Professional Battery-Powered Chainsaws We Recommend: Stihl MSA 220 C-B 36V 16-inch Chainsaw: Solid design and increased power backed by Stihl's dealer network. Hello EGBinOR, If A two cycle engine gets flooded BADLY, oil can separate from the gas mix, accumulate in the crankcase and creates an hydrostatc lock. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected. Don't put water into the 2 stroke. We got rid of both of those useless things . JavaScript is disabled. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. If you notice the treads are worn, which prevents the device from pumping, replace it with a new one. Do that to the starter side when you're looking at the starter assy. The plug should be tight against your thumb. Don't put water into the 2 stroke. Also check the air filters and make sure they are clean. } The correct tension of the chainsaw chain should be slightly loose on the guide bar but tight enough that you cant pull the drive links out of the bar to fix the chain tension issues; follow the steps below. lol. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected.