At the other end, underweight is also unhealthy and associated with other risks, but gets less negative attention in entertainment. I always felt that I wanted hips and a butt. For me, DS9 was the best Star Trek Show for character development. She makes it all look so easy. Plenty of curvy ladies are quite healthy and active. [1] Early life [ edit] Wiseman is the youngest daughter of Dorothy and Kevin Wiseman and has three older brothers. Mary Wiseman told Forbes, It was tricky, but it was a really, really fun and satisfying challenge.. Of all the issues I have with Star Trek Discovery, Mary Wiseman/Tilly is definitely not among them. STAR TREK and its various marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. 2023 CBS Studios Inc./Paramount Pictures Corp. 2006-2023 SciFanatic Network | Legal/Privacy Info, Copyright 2023 | MH Newsdesk by MH Themes, Podcast: All Access Dives Into The Latest Episode Of Picard And Probes Star Treks TV (And Movie) Future, BREAKING: Star Trek: Discovery To Conclude With Season 5, Review: Star Trek: Picard Runs Deep In Seventeen Seconds, Watch Picard And Riker Reverse Their Classic Roles In Star Trek: Picard Episode 303 Clip, J.J. Abrams Talks Compelling Story For Star Trek 4; Chris Pine Expresses Frustration Over Wait. She went away and supposedly became an amazing well rounded person. But its the elephant we have in the room, these days. 42 comments so far. Between Marys comments about how Tilly internalizes her experiences as acting First Officer and Captain and the fact that we see Gen Rhys in the big chair in one of the early production stills, does anyone think that Discovery might get Treks first regular series Asian First Officer? Can Picard go round the sun once more and rescue Saru from Discovery? Please back up your statement. Tilly got fat, that is inexcusable. Trolls that bodyshame others are a lower life form. It included a lot of the old characters too like Chakotay, BElanna, Tuvok with a lot of new characters. The accent is too colloquial. I agree 100%. Speaking to Glamour UK, Sonequa Martin-Green revealed that she has dealt with body image issues too: Back in the mid-to-late eighties, early nineties, everything I saw, with hip hop, was all curvy, curvy, big butt, she recalls. As I said Tilly has the same issues. They told us and a handful of other outlets what to expect for their characters and more. Book is Han Solo. A person who we see strive to make themselves a better person. I feel bad saying this but Ive never a read a Star Trek novel in my life lol. Its really just certain comments sections and Facebook garbage holes. TrekMovie.com is not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with CBS Studios Inc., Paramount Pictures Corp. or the Star Trek franchise. 108 comments so far. Having Tilly be one was justdumb. I have considered it and rejected it. Diplomacy? Marys my TV crush for the last 3 years. Wiseman would be smart to ignore the haters because their posts are rooted in negativity and hate. If we dont have tolerance and respect, how are we able to learn and improve humanity!? And doesnt that just make the point about the difference between fitness and apparent chunkiness or curveyness. David Ajala: What about Grudge in the mirror universe? She seems to be a lovely human being and all that in real life but her acting is not the best. New episodes of Star Trek: Discovery premiere on Thursdays on CBS All Access in the U.S. and on CTV Sci-Fi Channel in Canada, where it's also available to stream on Crave. Star Trek: Discovery threw a shocker into its latest episode as Lieutenant Sylvia Tilly decided to leave the Discovery crew. Any accent would be acceptable for a time that hasnt happened yet. But admittedly, its pretty close. [laughs] Everybody loves Tilly. Just blows my mind. The increasingly repeated notion that Discovery has saved the Trek franchise with emotion and humanity is dubious revisionist history. Tilly is a wonderful incarnation of our inner geekdom, a person you would find at conventions or in fanfiction I love this character so much because she isnt perfect. There is such a difference between having criticisms of the way the characters are written and criticizing the actors performance/craft and their leadership in the company. Control over ones own body is the most basic freedom we should have. And the only family she has is on that ship. Internationally, the series is available on Paramount+ in Australia, Latin America and the Nordics, and on Pluto TV in Austria, France, Germany . Why do you think being nervous or anxious means that you can not graduate from the academy? Han Van Sciver and Mary Wiseman in At the Wedding (Photo: Marc J. Franklin), Watch Wiseman and cast and crew talk about the season four finale. And for your own gain, right? all the outfits here are golden IMO but those shoes murder! But Tilly and the nervous mess Adira has devolved into? I would expect more from the Star Trek crowd, which is usually quite enlightened. Let it die. Too nervous and anxious. Mack is one of the core group of Trek authors going back to shortly before Nemesis. But was it not made pretty clear that Counselors had become a regular thing on command crews in the TNG era? What do you mean? The reed-thin part sometimes involves unhealthy behaviors. Since this is a show for kids and its not directly focused on the Voyager characters (at least not yet ;)), obviously I dont really expect any of the bigger plot lines from those books to happen; but it would be cool if the basic idea stuck around and that the Protostar was part of a long term mission of advance starfleet ships heading back to the DQ for study. Lets stick with the science and not target individuals. To me, at least. Assuming you are American, Im from outside America where it makes a huge difference in how the characters comes across.America is not the world as Morrissey once said. Like a lot of people, she pivoted and found herself in a new role as teacher. For me I love how it deals with social logic as well as technology. None of those thinks make a lick of sense. Tilly appears twice in the Star Trek: Discovery season 5 trailer. Personally I dont find that inspiring in any way whatsoever. And to be honest, she never really helped him out all that much. Or are you only a troll if you criticize something about Discovery? For your own good, please seek help. The fourth episode of the new season of Star Trek: Discovery ("All is Possible") arrived this morning and it has fans buzzing about Lt. Sylvia Tilly. With predictive spelling and multiple languages available, incorrect word choice is a constant threat even when one does type in the correct word. Somehow these insecure people feel others not like them are a threat to how they see themselves and how the world should, in their opinion, be. Maybe having had to step up to the plate before she was ready I think she intellectually knows that she didnt fail, and that its not her fault that Osyraa took the ship, she didnt have all the information, but I still think the fact that that she took command and somehow lost the ship would be an enormous blow to her confidence and make her question a lot of stuff. Just underused. Andrew: Great, perceptive, thoughtful post! What? I assume my feelings towards them are what Wesley-haters endure. She opted that she had a different calling within the world of teaching and, in the end, she decided that she wanted to chase that feeling. The Relaunch Litverse books for DS9 are uneven in my reading experience as compared to the TNG and the Voyager books once Beyer took over. Mary Wiseman claims that she wants to inspire all the curvy women around the world with her Star Trek weight gain story. Although they didnt really use secondary characters wellthey still dont. Therefore, I love her. She could of made it what we call General American/mid-Atlantic to neutralize it a little. They just didnt do much with him. I lovvvve Lilly/Tilly and her curves. I recall when Trek featured a French captain with an English accent. I wonder what the advertisers behind this site think of posts like this. Star Trek: Discovery Season 5 May Be Coming Soon, According To Wilson Cruz [UPDATED], Podcast: All Access Scans For All The Latest Star Trek Universe News, Star Trek Lower Decks Nominated For Annie Award; Discovery For NAACP And GLAAD Awards, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/97519/all-access-picard-episode-303-seventeen-seconds-review-discovery-ending-future-of-star-trek-discussion.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/97356/shuttle-pod-113-star-trek-picard-season-3-chat-on-the-next-generation-disengage.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/97216/all-access-review-of-star-trek-picard-episode-302-disengage.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/96813/all-access-review-of-star-trek-picard-episode-301-the-next-generation.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/96521/all-access-suplimental-john-billingsley-interview.mp3. Mary Wiseman as Tilly in episode 402, Anomaly. Before we move on to SuKal this Thursday, there are still some bits to catch up on from the Terra Firma arc of Star Trek: Discovery. He has been part of the Litverse writers room run by Pocket Books and knows not only Beyers works but the books written by others in great detail, and across all eras. I like me. I saw someone just last month asking on a Facebook fanpage if Starfleet had some kind of physical fitness standard and if so, shes violating it, ect.the same old idiotic abusive misogyny disguised as genuine concern. So. What was your point to this comment, anyway, except to minimize and dismiss support for plus-size women? Absolutely. This week's episode raised concerns. Obviously I dont know what M. Wiseman is like. Originally I imagined him as Denzel Washington or Blair Underwood, but after belatedly watching The Wire and Luther I think Idris Elba would be a really good match. So her appearances ended up not being 100% awful. I also know hes basically your favorite Trek author. Although the last TNG with Trois mom wasnt terrible. Where are they!? And how and how would your abilities be used in the Mirror Universe? There are a lot of people in the comments hating, but in a franchise that includes Neelix, Wesley Crusher, Naomi Wildman, Kes, and Lwaxana Troi, Tilly is frankly nowhere near as annoying as those other characters. Although it is true that on *average*, overweight people are less healthy than other people, it is also entirely possible to be overweight and healthy. All you ever do on this board is show up and attack womxn for being womxn, LBGTQ+ for being LBGTQ+, people of color for being people of color. This show has been for a niche of Trek fandom not the mainstream. Im sure nearly everyone of the crew of TNG had issues and problems. Typical. But I did not watch DIS S4 either. I realize there are people who like his quirks. Maybe Saru wont be on the ship as much but Im guessing they are going the same direction. Eh, only in some particular parts of the internet. Ive finally had the chance to reply to your comment about Lue Elizondo etc on the other thread. And, in that sense, it is okay to be used as it was above. Unity? Its this kind of nonsense that ruins Discovery. Mary Wiseman: I wish there maybe in the future theres room for some protective best friend/boyfriend energy. Just when it looks like the character has finally grown as a person and doing her own thing, comes right back. Sonequa is a great actress. I think theres room for it. I personally have battled weight issues all my life since high school and when I am eating healthy and trainng hard, I feel great and can do almost anything (power skating, fast hockey, tons of physical activity) meanwhile the opposite is true when I let myself go (and that does happen). All Access Star Trek Podcast, Discovery, DS9, Lower Decks, Section 31, Star Trek 4, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Prodigy, Strange New Worlds. Im glad you figured out what works for you, but Im not cool with a Star Trek board in 2021 focusing on an actors weight or appearance, especially when its a man commenting on a womans weight. That was an awfully fast turnaround. I like the way you think! Ok, SH didnt invent this. At New York Comic Con, TrekMovie participated in some group interviews with members of the cast and crew,. Remember , they had steroids and thyroid problems in the 80's, but the majority of people were off normal weight, which today would be called skinny. WTF this is why Ive been following Star Trek since the original in 1967 when I saw Nichelle Nichols. Weve seen Captain Killy, so what does Mirror Universe Book look like? That is not anything to diss. Btw have you come across any good DS9 books about what happened to Sisko or the rest of the crew after the finale? Perhaps they had a second or third language that they use regularly. I think others that make such claims are having their own feel feels hurt or nostalgia rattled. All are Trek! So I was also just very excited for the fans. I didnt like Reed from Enterprise, does that make me a troll? Youre perfect as you are. My point is, a lot of the shamers are probably ashamed of themselves for being overweight and project it onto others. He was competing in show jumping events with his horses until at least his 70s. Even 1,000 years into the future, Burham cannotoh well, that is a different story for a different post. So it has been hard, and its really hard to avoid, because it pops up on all the [social media] accounts, or people comment on my posts with cruel, unscientific comments. Mary Wiseman is a good actress but even with that, if Star Trek Discovery was shot in 80s or 90s producers would probably force her to go on a diet or even fire her. It was a good perspective in S1, and lines up with Star Trek values. Discovery may have just said goodbye to one of its crew, but don't worry: She'll be back. It is one thing to be healthy and quite another to be reed-thin and healthy. Shes a product of poor writing, constantly ditzy and trying to be the light relief to the point where its eye rolling. And a. Lwaxana Troi, Tilly is frankly nowhere near as annoying as those other characters. Body shaming is wrong and immature. Take me to the stars and tell me a story. When I was around 12 I used to eat peanut butter and drink Ensure, a meal replacement drink, before I went to sleep. Well second most after Burnam , she was fine in season 1 and 2.past 2 seasons theyve rushed her character developmentsame with michael.the vulcan minded human became human real fast. Thats undeniable. While Tilly had big dreams in Star Trek: Discovery season 1, she struggled with feelings of inadequacy and was hindered by a social awkwardness that often left her feeling like an outsider. Then maybe I would actually remember his name! She is perhaps, the most human character on the show. Given all the trouble the crew got into, Im sure they needed one on the ship. Since season one, Tilly (Mary Wiseman). Paramount+'s Star Trek: Discovery is the flagship of the modern-day Star Trek television franchise, premiering in 2017 and about to launch its fourth season on November 18. Shes only competent because of her character shield, shes mentally and emotionally immature, out of shape for the job shes in and the role she wanted to perform, and would barely survive in a high school, let alone in any capacity at an actual Starfleet. I look at Disco as adding a new flavor to the existing universe. Its good to have ALL type of people/stories in our Star Trek Universe. Samarkand? He also has emotional intelligence. It makes sense there would be and that they be a part of the medical team. BTW, I know this is waaaaaay off topic, but since you are the literary Trek lover on this site and keep up with a lot of the books, do you think Prodigy is going to use some of Kirsten Beyers Full Circle Voyager story lines? The audience is growing due to our amazing loyalty, but I give them credit toobecause Discovery, we have all these new shows. Agreed. In fact, at least on this website, I often see the contrary. He was in the Travis Mayweather category. And Im even more embarrassed by this, but Ive never watched any of the Stargate shows. She is best known for starring as Sylvia Tilly in the Paramount+ science fiction drama series Star Trek: Discovery (2017-present). Find more stories on theStar Trek Universe. I see those things and they hurt me because Im a person. Mary Wiseman: Well what is like the same root of Book but like the polar opposite expression of it? Well said, Edward. Not everyone is skinny and not everyone likes skinny. I agree, in fairness Barclay was relatable in many ways, socially awkward but not too overplayed. Mary Wiseman: Right, when you use empathy for evil, its manipulation. This is not a good show and not a good Star Trek Show too. Theres even a scene where she pretty much turns to the camera and says that shell stay till the very end. Because Book is someone who doesnt just have cerebral, intellectual intelligence. In the latest Star Trek: Discovery episode, Sylvia Tilly ( Mary Wiseman) was tasked with . I always have to correct it, so its not terribly efficient. I would just be happy if Rhys got more than three lines an episode lol. Mary Wiseman is a beautiful lady as is Sonequa Martin-Green. They should all try for the standards of randos on the internet like you Just IMHO, because to each his (or her, or their) own! The 60s/70s are gone. Theyre losers, pure and simple. Episodes will be available on Fridays internationally on Netflix. With his skill and abilities, we will see how he may use them in a way that may affect his relationship with Michael Burnham. And its funny that you bring up needing constant therapy as a bad thing when a ton of real life people see a therapist on a regular basis. That is why you never saw councelors on any other class ship. The immaturity of body shaming anyone is hateful and unacceptable. Weve seen a lot of big men in Star Trek but no big girls. What I should point out though is that Mack earned the moniker Angel of Death among the Litverse fans. Thats the whole point why they wanted HER to teach at the newly formed Academy They wanted someone with the original 23rd century optimism and enthusiasm I share that notion a lot And yeah, Im glad Starfleet doesnt work like actual military, And no, S3 was not stupidity. You cant be a Star Trek fan and also be a racist or a body shamer. Keep up the great work ladies! Tilly is the most human member of the crew. Its sci-fi, brah. Theres a little Harley Quinn. Im proud to be here and I am proud to wear my skin-tight costume and proud of my body. Development for the fifth season of Discovery is well underway, with production expected to begin in June. I really liked her in the first season. By indicating that shes not ashamed of her body? advantage. I believe we can thank Mack for helping the Showrunners and writers identify species that would work in Prodigy and for some deep cuts. I think Saru will just be the surrogate first officer again although he is now a captain. And, yeah, I've also heard a rumor about a potential Starfleet Academy series, and I'm assuming it's being set in the future setting of Discovery. The actress also discussed how Killy inspires some fans: Killy is somebody whos very important to a lot of fans, especially my curvy women out there who like to see another full-figured, fat, curvy, chunky woman get to feel powerful and use that size to command authority, said Wiseman. My best advice is to give some of the Litverse books a try and decide for yourself which writers appeal to you. There are characters you really cherish and others that are fun but ultimately nothing special. I truly do love this show, but Burnham and Tilly are so damn annoying. However, Tilly's rise to Lieutenant in Thursday's episode of Star Trek: Discovery did not invoke feelings of joy. I thought her arc was going to end with her being booted from the service for repeatedly failing physical fitness tests? Just when it looks like the character has finally grown as a person and doing her own thing, comes right back. When a show blankets the airwaves with hugs and confessionals and cheering it tends to make any subtler moments stand out far less, but this is also not a subtle show to begin with. That was why she was never in uniform the first few seasons. Thats not good writing, its oandering fan fiction, Starfleet is not military. And with Troi being a betazoid, thats why she was on the bridge. Rather than shaming them or acting like there are only a few kinds of women worth aspiring to be. I am a therapist in real life, and even *I* think it was crazy that they had a therapist on the bridge. Plus, TNG literally had a therapist as part of the bridge crew. I keep saying this but its a great time to be a Star Trek fan again! That is definitely not a true statement. That however does nothing to mitigate the way Burnham has been written to be unforgivably self-absorbed throughout many of the key moments of the series. Did Tilly on Discovery gain weight? She strikes me as no different than Barkley. Shes responsible for her subordinates and to lead by example. 1:15. Star Trek: Discovery streams exclusively on CBS All Access in the United States and is distributed concurrently by CBS Studios . But respect is always earned and never enforceable. Between 2011 through 2015, she attended Juilliard School's Drama Division, where one of her students was future Star Trek: Discovery actress Mary Chieffo. Sonequa Martin-Green in Unification III, Co-showrunner Michelle Paradise shared some behind-the-scenes photos from Terra Firma, Part 2.. As a Black girl, I felt I was supposed to look this way. In this week's episode of Star Trek: Discovery season four, we saw Tilly leaving her crew and heading to the academy in order to foster young minds. I would imagine those who liked Barclay probably include a large portion of those who like Tilly. Finally, Starfleet isn't a military organisation or an army. Mary Wiseman. Obesity and overweight are associated with health chronic issues by definition. Star Trek Universe on TV at TrekMovie.com, Star Trek: Discovery Season 5 May Be Coming Soon, According To Wilson Cruz [UPDATED], Podcast: All Access Scans For All The Latest Star Trek Universe News, Star Trek Lower Decks Nominated For Annie Award; Discovery For NAACP And GLAAD Awards, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/97519/all-access-picard-episode-303-seventeen-seconds-review-discovery-ending-future-of-star-trek-discussion.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/97356/shuttle-pod-113-star-trek-picard-season-3-chat-on-the-next-generation-disengage.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/97216/all-access-review-of-star-trek-picard-episode-302-disengage.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/96813/all-access-review-of-star-trek-picard-episode-301-the-next-generation.mp3, http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/trekmovie.com/podcast-player/96521/all-access-suplimental-john-billingsley-interview.mp3. I echo your sentiments exactly, David. In fact most of their fears and phobias were explored in various episodes. After they wrote her to be the most annoying person possible. Mary Wiseman: We dont have that many scenes together but theres a lot of tension between us just as actors and personalities. That one ship generates more energy than present-day Earths entire human energy expenditure, generates its own artificial gravity, and violates causality routinely. We never saw her effort to become that person. Wiseman was appreciative of fans who had her back online: I just want to say that all the people who step in, to back me up like that, your presence is like little angels, like blocking out these little trolls. Id add Kirk to that at several times over the years. Tillys journey has helped me over the last few years. Tillys great contribution is that shes NOT that sort of superwoman most people can never be. Its just lazy writing. Lol. That being said, knowing what weight restrictions there are for men and women serving avoid combat ships in todays Navy, my bet would be she would need to lose some weight to preserve her shipboard assignment in todays real-world Navy. Just take a little trip down the hellhole that is a tabloids message boards and youll see the kind of body shaming of male and female actors and celebrities that exists out there. While Im excited to get back to the 32nd century and see whats changed since season 3 Im still not excited for the season itself. For someone who is supposed to care about others, shes been remarkably stuck in her own emotions. Loved that show, so did my wife. Its all pretty subjective. Ive re-learned through life experiences how to stop and smell the roses again you might say, among other things. They have solved some of these issues the easy way by talking themselves out of it (Klingon hair, holograms, Ariam being no android at all), now that we are in the future none of it really matters anymore. And it was mentioned in one of the episodes of the first season, I dont remember whichwould have to research, that councilors on Galaxy class ships due to the fact that families were on the ship and it was meant for longer than 5 year missions. So I think we pick up with her after some time has passed since the events of that season, but shes still sort of not really sure what to make of it, and everything that used to be really comfortable isnt sitting as comfortably as it used to if that makes sense. Watch as SFX makeup transforms Doug Jones into Saru for Star Trek: Discovery. Im sorry but what youve described about Tilly is like something out of a Nickelodeon teen high school drama. Bad writing, illogical story arcs, unbalanced tempo, underdeveloped characters or sudden jumps in character development. I like Tilly but shes not my favourite character. Then there are many women like Sonequa, who feel theyre too skinny. My condolences to you, for your mum. And saying they should be sending this message is just another way to try to bully someone into doing what you want, not what that person wants for their self. Paradise was most likely referring to the shows production and creative teams. And if youre able to use that against someone, that could be very, very dangerous. Where I live people compete on the merits. Not sure what the formal CBS/Paramount process is for publishing that kind of stuff, but the story was so detailed that I genuinely wanted to begin looking into it. You two are Michaels boyfriend and best friend, so does Michael becoming captain create any new tension in season four? You are correct, it comes down to the same thing, poor plot development. I understand the actress is very well-respected and a nice person, but I couldnt stand the Tilly character myself. As someone with severe and sometimes crippling anxiety whos managed to have a pretty successful high-pressure career, I question your assertion that she never would have graduated Starfleet., You clearly never served in a military environment. During the 1st season, Michael helped Tilly to gain confidence and then continued to nurture that confidence through . Right!? The Berman era had specific ideas about things like accents and music that kind of locked it into something fairly homogeneous. Editor's note, 23 Dec 2020: If you like Wiseman's interview here, then you should also check out interviewer Dawn Ennis's other work. And if people are critical of her because her appearance does not meet their expectations, they dont really have a clue of what Star Trek is all about. My only issue with Captain Killy is that she died that wonderful red hair blonde. There are a number of places you can receive professional help and I strongly recommend you seek that help. Maybe its just me, but I dont really care about women or mens weight on TV shows, I dont care for negative comments on them by haters, but neither do I care for the actors/actresses making such a whiney big deal about it.