I just used this article to fix (a bit) our uneven slide on a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk. Leaking slide seal whenslide is out - which seal? I think the cover got worm off because of an alignment problem. You can store your RV on your property if you wish. Extend and retract the slide a few times and check for proper room flange sealing. To install our single-flap Snap-In Seal, follow these steps: Clean the application area on your RV or camper. If the battery is low, it will trip shutting off power to your slide out motor. But slide outs can add to your RV headaches if you are not careful. One main problem with slide outs is that they may get out of alignment. Interior and plumbing leaks can lead to expensive fixes, such as: In addition to the structural issues, you can experience dangerous and unsightly consequences from a leak. (Ford V10 Turbo Kit Options), What Sealant Can I Use On a TPO Roof? Category: RV. I want to fix the problem before i repair the seal and covering on the plywood. moves out about 1 to 2. The first source for this situation is that your battery may not be fully charged. If it doesnt, check the alignment. The actual slide itself is a couple inches short of fully extending on one top corner. Then check to see if you have enough power to the pump. The rear slide out does not seal all the way at the top when it is slid in. Click "VIEW" for more information. You should turn the actuator manually, typically by using either a screwdriver or an Allen key to close or open it. The weather at FOY lately has been a good warmup. I thought maybe the slides were out of alignment like you talked about above but they measure the same distance at the bottom. If this problem is happening to your kitchen slide out then you may have some plumbing lines or other kitchen equipment in the way. The rubber seals that surround the slide-out and windows can quickly become damaged by the weather and will start to crack, break, and let water in. Yours may be different, but the concept is likely the same. No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. There are many simple ways to fix slide-out leaks. Occasionally, water may become trapped on top of the slide-out from a storm or water activities. 4. You are using an out of date browser. Your job will be to track that loose connection down and tighten it up. The rubber seal that surrounds the slide-out prevents wind and water from entering the RV from around the slide. Procedures for your system may vary[/box]. For starters, stop using it or whatever is wrong will only get worse. You can apply sealant with a caulking gun to close up any cracks, loose spots or holes until you get the chance to replace those faulty seals. I have a slide that is only leaking on one corner. If you are only replacing a section, it will need to be the entire length of one side, like the top or bottom strips. If you have several slide-outs powered by a separate motor, then a tripped breaker may not be the case if one of the motors stops. Once the gear is engaged, operate the slide-out and measure the depth of the slide on both sides to ensure proper alignment. Weather damage. Measure under the slide from the frame to the inner wall and/or from the exterior of the RV to the outer edge of the slide. To decrease the risk of roof leaks in your RV, the roof should be at least resealed every season. Applying a suitable lubricant should help with smoother movement. Why Does My RV Squeak When I Walk and How to Fix It? If you note that the pump runs but the slide-out remains retracted while the fluid level in the reservoir is low, then there is a high likelihood of a leak. Dealing with these common leaks can seem overwhelming, but we hope this article provided some valuable insight into fixing slide-out leaks and preventing them in the future. If that is the case you would need a trained tech to help you solve it. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Articles and product reviews here may include affiliate links to third-party websites which might earn us a small commission when items are purchased. I have a 12 foot slide on a 2000 Wilderness 5er. Given aging of the vinyl, its quite possible the toppers are pulling the top of the slides off kilter. RV Manufacturers use a wide variety of seals for their slide-outs. I didnt see any kind of roller behind the gasket under the slideout that can be adjusted. I dont want to sound redundant, but I think my issue is a little different than Ive read, (but I could be wrong). Just have a little patience while you track down the source. Be sure not to scrape the adhesive off with metal scrapers or blades, as damaging the underlying material can cause leaks. This is on a Gulfstream Sun Voyager. In either case, you should have a qualified tech look at the problem and get the problem fixed. Is there a height adjustment for the slide? Search for your specific RV slide-out model, and find all. Is this a adjustment or what can be done. Just make a routine check and if it is a misaligned rail or track, then you may need to call a repair man to help you get it fixed. The nut shown at right is the manual override nut for manually moving the slide in the event of motor failure. Check the battery power level and charge if its low. But if that isnt the source, it could be that you have an automatic resetting breaker attached to your slide out circuit. Yes, a pretty common problem. Charles, the issue you describe is identical to the challenge we faced which I explained how I fixed in this post. Other than that, it would be hard to say why your motor is not getting any power. when out it seems to be level .the sides are equal coming in or going out ..what do i adjust so my slide seals evenly when put in ? Check for dry or cracked areas and replace these (or make a plan to in the spring as long as your RV will be stored properly and is safe from the elements). Test your slide out several times while you still have your tools handy. The best preventative measure you can take is to reseal the roof after every season to ensure a safe winterization and a smooth start to the next RV season. Ensure any seals are replaced after lubrication to keep dust and other debris out. Dont ever wait to repair a leak, even if it just a temporary fix, until you make it back home. I've noticed that our entertainment slide does not fully extend at the top. How Do You Get Rid Of RV Gray Water Smells? Big Country Vertical Slide Adjustment - Sanity Check, New Bighorn 3870FB Kitchen Slide Question, Two questions - Slide out not sealing, and power to slide out. Call several repair shops and compare the fees before deciding where to take your RV. Good luck! This design may look like it is leaning but you just have to close your side out all the way to straighten out the look. It appears that the bottom of the slide is not closing so to seal along the wall, but the top is in. Since a pictures worth so many words, below are some photos I took to help illustrate the steps described above for synchronizing our Power Gear RV slide-out rails. Most slide out problems are not that difficult to trace and then solve. The wide-top design makes garbage bag removal easy, while the polypropylene construction makes it durable and sturdy - perfect for residential or commercial use. This is not a small gap, either. When this happens, you should take the issue to a qualified tech to make sure you get the right part and the right solution. Or you may have stripped a gear which is also just as serious. If this isnt done, the warranty will not cover replacements and fixes due to leaks and damage. Sometimes the slide may not close fully at the top or at the bottom. If dirt like debris or sticks get into the rubber seals when it closes, that opens up the opportunity for water to get into the slide-out when it is closed or for damage to the seals. I've noticed that our entertainment slide does not fully extend at the top. Thats exactly why I wrote this blog post. When troubleshooting a leak along one wall of the slide in our fifth wheel, I discovered the top flap seal was not creating a tight seam along the roof. There are good videos on YouTube that show the step by step process, they may not be for your trailer but you're looking for the same mechanism. Then if your camper is level, then go inside and move any rugs that may be in the way and close all cabinet and other doors. Good lubrication is one way to maintain your slide out. If you identify a leak, you should have that section replaced or mended at the repair shop. If your RV is equipped with a hydraulic system, it may be that the pressure in the lines is gone. 4C) away from the bracket if the room is too tight and damages the fascia. #RVslidewiperseal #wiperseal #RVslideoutwipersealrepair #rvslidesealAre you having some problems with your RV slide Seals? Rig is perfectly level via the auto level and my digital level. #1. If the problems happen at the campground, you can still try to push the slide out manually, but carefully not to damage the delicate parts. RV slide-out motors are priced from $150 to $700 on average, but the exact price depends on the motor rating, the supplier, and the shipping cost if any. If so, I would definitely get under there while someone operates the slide to see whats going on with the gears when fully retracted. You need to check and fix this before it gets worse. Especially when you get one of the most popular slide out features- the bedroom. These leaks can be due to several different things, including:if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'thesavvycampers_com-box-3','ezslot_7',107,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thesavvycampers_com-box-3-0'); No matter the cause of the leak, its essential to notice and troubleshoot quickly. If you want more tips to help you maintain your slide outs, just click this link. A simple fix may be to use a little silicone on the gears, rollers or seals to make sure the slide out can slide smoothing. Dont let little slide-out leaks, and the preventive steps deter you. Any thoughts on where to go from here thanks Andy. Find a copy of your slide manufacturers manual if necessary and follow the steps for aligning the rail gears and/or the room height adjustment. If you have ordering questions, please find a sales representative near you. The main culprit in this case may be your seals. sengli. I bought, Visit Copano Bay RV Resort On The Texas Gulf Coast. I downloaded all the links you kindly provided and hope that Ill find a solution. Leaking pipes can result in rusty pipes and additional hidden leaks within walls, which can quickly deteriorate the strength of your RV. This will leave extra in case of a mistake. Unless Im mistaken, your symptoms sound pretty darn close to what I encountered and explained in this post. It would help to know if your slide is hydraulic, cable, electric rack and pinion or some other method of moving. Ensure you have the correct size slide topper; it should overhang the ends of your slide out by an inch or two to keep debris off. The good news is that when this happens your rig should have a manual over ride system to let you get the slide out in its proper positions. Also, its important to note that many warranties that come with RVs require the owners to check and reseal as needed, sometimes up to twice a year. Luckily, this can be done on your own, so there are no added labor costs. Next, check for loose nuts, bolts, wires and even frayed wires to make sure everything is in tip top shape and ready to work. It is not necessary to remove the drive shaft from the gear (retainer bolt shown at left). Replacing the seals is an option or you can use a self leveling sealant to make sure the problem goes away and does not return. 32 views, 4 likes, 0 loves, 2 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from : Xiaomi Redmi K50 Gaming : 6.67 - 120 - OLED : 128 256 : 8. Just make sure the following guidelines are acknowledged when finding a suitable space: If youre storing the RV outdoors, make sure to get an appropriate RV cover. If the room is not properly aligned, repeat steps 1 thru 6. If they are broken or damaged, they need to be replaced to stop the problem. Check the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir. Always replace a seal with one that matches the profile of the original. I had to remove the leg to replace that gearbox. (Data Link Troubleshooting). Unsubscribe any time and keep your free gift! Is there a reason there is only a small amount of movement in or out when the gear is disengaged? One of the signs that comes with a blown fuse is that there may be a short in the wiring at some point. The "Seal" of Approval. Need to be turn on at this time. If an RV slide-out isnt properly sealed, air, moisture and daylight can find their way into the vehiclereducing the comfort, safety and luxury of your RV or camping experience. All slide rooms are equipped with rubber seals that prevent water, air and contaminants from entering the RV. Water getting past this seal can also cause water damage to your floor. If your RV leans after your side out is extended, then you may not have settled your RV correctly. Luckily, this is not necessarily indicative of a more significant problem and may just be a one-off leak that can be avoided in the future. A little carnuba wax on the walls may solve your problem as well. thank you for your time and knowledge. On top of that, check the openings your slide out is going through. Get MORE out of The Savvy Campers Directly to your Inbox! Use this tool to inspect new or used campers you are looking at purchasing. Private party RV value refers to the price that an RV would typically sell for in a private party sale between individuals, as opposed to the 8 Ways to Protect RV Surge Protector From the Rain. It will pass through some end brackets. In addition to that, you may just need to go to your RV repair shop and have them replace the seal and apply the right sealant to fix the problem. My theory is the slide isnt seating all the way in, and while traveling the slide itself "wiggles" enough to put wear on that bulb seal. You should note that most slides will function only when the battery is fully charged, even if you are connected to the shore power. This is usually an issue with an adjustment which you should not attempt to solve on your own if you do not have experience with such. Each fall, after your RV season has ended, its a good idea to take a look at all of the seals along your slide out. Thanks Jim. From inside the trailer, just grab the top of the slide and pull down. Mark Polk from RV 101 walks us through removing and installing a push-on type slide out seal on an RV. I have a 2003 Keystone springdale 37 footer with two slide outs. The key would be to get to know your system and learn when the task is beyond your abilities to handle. You can troubleshoot and solve these problems as described earlier under common issues. If not you may want to try to fix it yourself. This problem may be caused by the fact that your RV is not level. Its for the dinette and sofa. No water leaks, but I'd like to be sure of the adjustments to get it to extend flush all the way around. No, the toppers have not been worked on and the frame is not bent. By gap at bottom Im guessing you mean on the side seals. By removing the cotter pin, the gear can easily be disengaged from the idler rail gear rack by sliding the drive shaft toward the drive rail, under the opposite side of the room (to the left in this picture). Keep using the slide-out the way you are and youre bound to destroy the motor, unless it has already gone bad. www.TheSavvyCampers.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies.. We will help you find the best RV slide-out seal solutionguaranteed. The hydraulic system uses a pump instead of a motor to make sure your slide out works as described. Review the manual for your slide and you should find the mounting bolts at the end of the rails, near the exterior wall of the slide. Just be careful, as raising it too much could cause a gap under seal when fully extended. Doing much of the routine and simple maintenance tasks should save you a lot of money over the long haul. After the system is properly aligned, lubricate the moving parts. If you are camping out during the winter, youll need to clear off the ice or snow manually from the slide tracks or the slide toppers. Another source may be that there is not enough lubricant on the rails. I have a 2011 Tuscany Even if it is a common problem, you may want a tech qualified in hydraulics to handle your issue. Many of these storage lots also have cameras and insurance to protect against damages and theft. Our system looks very similar to yours, but I have a spur/crown gear with stripped teeth. I just acquired it and dont even have it home yet. If they also fail to actuate the slide-outs, then there could be a problem with the power supply to the entire slide-out circuitry. Insufficient power is often the most common cause of this problem. Good luck Dave. HI Everyone, While changing my slide toppers and doing other PM I noticed that my front road side slide (Flush Floor 15'6") that the top wiper seal is not touching the top of the slide out. Other issues that may cause this problem is that the gears maybe stripped, a shear pin may be broken or you may have a blown relay. Check the power supply to the motor. Anything is possible! The seal is more than likely the factory original and has been repaired a couple of times on the sides. This fix includes windows on your slide out as well as the main body of your RV. I grew up in northern MN which many Alaskans say is very much like Alaska weather wise. The most challenging part of any RV maintenance project is often determining the exact cause of the problem, and identifying the proper terminology regarding any applicable fix. I have a 2005 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel, when shutting down for winter the bedroom slide close tight at the bottom but the top of slide sticks out about 1.5 inches. Replacing the damaged slide-out seals yourself is a fairly straightforward process. Some of these damaged areas can have: There may also be soft or spongy areas above, within, or below your RV. For a hydraulically operated slide-out system, loss of pressure can cause the slide-out to fail to retract. As an RV owner, you know the time, money, and commitment that it takes to maintain an RV. If the control switch isnt supplying enough power to the pump, you need to replace the switch. In such cases, the pump runs without pushing the fluid. RV slide-outs are essential for comfort and extending your RV space. Of course, this will cost you more, but isnt it worth the money rather than putting yourself and other motorists at risk by driving with a protruding slide out? If you force the motor to do extra work pushing through the snow, you will severely shorten the motor windings lifespan. Leaks that have been active previously and then stopped (but were not repaired) are still a risk to your RV. This results in the slide-out not extending or retracting. Like one inch. This situation appears in a variety of ways. To order Trimlok products please contact: Plastic Edge Trim and Rubber Trims and Rubber Seals - Trim-Lok is well recognized and respected as a leader in the manufacture of top quality trims and seals, Trim-Lok provides high quality, superior service and competitively priced trim & seal products. The most common issue in Jayco RVs is the slide-out not extending or retracting. Have a slide that has a 2 in gap at bottom ,top is tight. Its always a good idea to buy more than you need, especially if installing yourself. The owners manual will also contain explicit instructions on how to troubleshoot the hydraulic system. These Off-Road Teardrop Campers Have A Unique Sola Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8 Beta 1, Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2. ? These toppers are also simple to replace when needing new fabric and come in various colors to match your RV. JavaScript is disabled. Even if you are plugged into an outside power source, most slides need a fully charged battery to work. Again, the repair cost depends on where you take the RV for service and the amount of work required to fix the issue. HI Everyone, While changing my slide toppers and doing other PM I noticed that my front road side slide (Flush Floor 15'6") that the top wiper seal is not touching the top of the slide out. Several preventative measures can keep your RV slide out from being damaged and creating leaks. But if the pump is running and your slide out is not moving in, then there maybe a problem at your retract valve. This can also be difficult to deal with if youre in the middle of a camping or road trip with your RV. Make sure to buy the correct size for your specific RV, and the right length. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. One of the first things you need to so when you are having slide out problems is to check the simplest items to fix first. This price is dependent on the RV model and the repair shop. Slide-Outs. Good luck with that. I have a 38foot with four slideouts 2 hydrolic and two electric; The one hydrolic [kitchen slide[ is tipping down and hitting the floor when retracted and tearing the vinyl. On some slide outs the manufacturer has designed the section so that it will close at the top first. Sometimes, you may only need to spray a little slide out spray on the rails to get your slide outs moving normally once again. Many of the sealants can be reapplied over themselves if you arent happy with the first application or find yourself needing additional layers in the future. Now, if your RV has several slide-outs, try the other switches to see if they are functional. Great instructions. Check out the link to the vertical slide alignment diagram. Use staples or screws at six-inch intervals to provide additional strength . I thought theres gotta be a simple way to realign the slide. Its best to do this maintenance at the end of your RV season to fix any dings, scrapes, or damage that may have been accrued over the summer and keep your RV safe through the storage period. There are various types ofsealant tapethat can be placed over the cracks (or even just weakened and rusted areas) to keep the water out. Like one inch. He believes in spending time doing Outdoor activities. camper slide out seal repair.The best cheap rv slide seal hack. They come in various sizes and will protect from things like: Its also a good idea to check this cover occasionally throughout the off-season to make sure it is still holding up and hasnt come unattached or suffered any damage or rips. motor) slide-out drops 1-1/2 2 on the front side only just as it fully extends, therefore coming out of contact with the top, outer seal. Other times, you may only need a screwdriver or a small wrench to tighten up nuts, bolts, and screws. Once the leak has been located, its important to address the issue, mainly if you are in the midst of an RV trip. Just dont get shocked. The left side has the same setup no problem with it.I put some hard rubber spacers in the tray to keep it from dropping .Is there and adjustment or is this a mfg problem? That'll get it to seal until you can find somebody to fix it. Good lubrication is one way to maintain your slide out. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more! Sometimes a firm brush or towel is needed to scrape off any residue or debris. Trim-Loks 3M Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive is both an installation aid and a water barrier. But if the top is closing and the bottom isnt, or vice versa, then you have a sensitive adjustment problem that may be beyond your capabilities to fix. If the awning brackets keep breaking, consider removing the awning to see if thats what might be causing the problem. All for FREE! I can see daylight from the inside. Also, check the springs to make sure there is not a lot of tension on them. When you get your RV going again for the season, pay close attention to all of the interiors and test the plumbing before going out, even if you had checked it before storing. These vehicles are generally put under a good amount of wear and tear, often out in the elements, and not designed to be as sturdy as houses or other residential buildings.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thesavvycampers_com-banner-1','ezslot_14',111,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thesavvycampers_com-banner-1-0'); Luckily, there is a massive RV community online and across the globe. Another cause could be a misalignment of the slide-out and the track. Whenever the slide-out looks or feels crooked, it can be a gear misalignment or an issue with the timing gear. Adjust Nylock nut (Fig. If it is broken or damaged, just unscrew it and replace it with a new one. Clean all of the surfaces where you will be applying the new seals. When the slide out is in, due to the rolling of the top seal, I cannot get a good seal on the outside wa read more The seals or gaskets may have become damaged, cracked or improperly installed. Ill give it a shot. I have inspected the top of the slide and there is nothing keeping it from extending out. It will depend on the nature of the problem if you want to use those latter creative ways. Is it possible something is UNDER the slide when pulled in stopping it from tilting down ??? One of the many things people worry about is how to protect their RV surge protector from the rain. There are various reasons for your RV slide out to have a leak. Good luck Roland! When all you hear is clicking, your motor may have a few mechanical problems. If you do this, you can probably fix your problem quickly and save yourself a lot of money. Stay out from under large trees or powerlines in case of a storm. Did you try adjusting the rail gears like I described above? Regular maintenance on both can prevent a lot of issues throughout your ownership of your RV. AND a BIG POINT: we discovered by accident that we were only able to push/pull the slide in/out when it WAS NOT all the way out. If your travel trailer slide out is leaking when its closed, it could be one of several common issues. You will need to get the motor rewound or replace it. Ah yes, I missed the part where you mentioned it being on one side of the room. The battery may also be too low to sustain the motor through the sliding out time. Clean and dry the area and make sure any soggy spots or damaged areas have been repaired before you begin resealing. Follow these simple steps below to synchronize your RV slideout rails, and adjust the slide to prevent leaks caused by a misaligned flap seal. Slide out dose not seal on the top when slided out.