Her daughter then texted her to say the school was on lockdown. A judge ordered Steven Montano, 18, to be held without bail at a Friday hearing as he faces a murder charge in the slaying of officer Andrs Mauricio Vsquez Lasso. An employee inside the restaurant said she was working when she and a co-worker got down to the floor after hearing at least four shots ring out. Teen shot near East High School dies News / Mar 2, 2023 / 08 . Detectives and officers are investigating in the area, and are seeking video and any other type of evidence, Nieves said. Police said the two other shooting victims attend Aspira Antonia Pantoja High School, a Chicago Public Schools charter school, though its not managed by CPS. As emergency crews began clearing the scene, a firefighter was spraying down the glass doors and sidewalk of the ice cream shop entrance. Published: 2:47 PM MST March 1, 2023. Chicago Public Schools released a statement, saying, "Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is working closely with Chicago Police Department (CPD) as we respond to a shooting near one of our high schools, just prior to the school's dismissal bell. CPS and CPD will be providing additional safety supports to our school this week, and many members of our community may be aware of this incident. CPD and paramedics quickly arrived and responded, and the soft lockdown was lifted once there was no longer a safety threat. Schurz is one of many CPS high schools whose Local School Council has voted within the last two years to do away with school resource officers who are assigned to monitor safety. The school is offering some mental health resources for students suffering from the trauma of this shooting. A line of kids jutted out from the main door as they waited to go inside. Another 15-year-old boy was struck in the back and taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition. Author: Nate Lynn. They just want to feel loved and supported and not judged, De Jesus Alejandre said. An 18-year-old was shot in the leg and was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, also in good condition. Police tape was partially roped around La Michoacna about 5:30 p.m. as detectives investigated inside and outside the ice cream shop. Nieves called the shooting very upsetting, and assured parents that the department would concentrate on keeping children safe in or out of school. All four victims were students at Chicago Public Schools, but it is unclear whether they were all students at Schurz. Chicago police at the scene where four teenagers were shot outside La Michoacana ice cream shop near Schurz High School on Aug 24, 2022. According to Chicago Public Schools, the school was placed on a lockdown after the shooting took place, but that has since been lifted, with students allowed to go home as the investigation continues. Lopez said he provided aid to the victim and called 911. Schurz High School Principal Heidy Moran released the following letter to families Wednesday: The safety of your children is always our top priority, which is why we must inform you of an incident that affected our school this afternoon. WBEZ brings you fact-based news and information. (Antonio Perez / Chicago Tribune). Four teenagers were injured in the shooting on the patio of the La Michoacana Ice Cream Shop across the street from the school at Milwaukee Avenue and Addison Street. CHICAGO Three students and an 18-year-old were shot Wednesday at a business directly in front of Carl Schurz High School. Lincoln Square, North Center, Irving Park. Mily Garcia said she was waiting outside the school to pick up her 16-year-old daughter when she spoke with another parent who saw someone open fire from a passing SUV at a group at La Michoacana ice cream shop, a popular hangout spot for students after school. Theyre going to keep shooting here, Garcia said. Protesters remember East High student killed by a shooting last month Luis Garcia died Wednesday due to a gunshot-related injury he sustained shortly after leaving school Feb. 13 . CPS CEO Pedro Martinez said last week the district needs help from other city agencies to deal with mental health and gun violence woes hurting students. "So I was in class and right behind me I heard about four or five gunshots, and a few of us kind of ducked down when we heard that," said Eric Estrada, student. The shooting occurred as Schurz students left for the day, witnesses said. "I heard the sirens or whatever, so I was confused, and then I was like, 'Dad!' The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report. Previously in 2019, Emmanuel Gallegos, a 17-year-old Northside College Prep student, was fatally shot while riding in a car near Schurz on his way to get a haircut. CPS officials wouldnt comment. A group gathers around the boy, puts their arms around him, and helps him walk back toward Milwaukee and Addison. 1 priority is the safety of our kids, especially our kids that attend school, Nieves said. He was listed in critical condition. Baker worried about his friends. A 17-year-old had a graze wound to his leg and was taken to Community First Medical Center in good condition. Nothing major damaged. We live here, he has to go to school here, so my thing is I just want him to have the resources he needs here.". And, according to Montes, more than 700 homicides have been reported across Chicago this year. [email protected]. Subscribe to Block Club Chicago,an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom. The three additional victims were taken to other hospitals in good condition: another 15-year-old boy with a back wound, a 17-year-old boy whose leg was grazed and an 18-year-old man with a leg wound. The other 15-year-old was shot in the back and was taken to Stroger Hospital of Cook County in good condition. Emmanuel Gallegos, a 17-year-old Northside College Prep student, Another 17-year-old was charged in the shooting. Moments later, the worker who didnt want to be identified heard screams outside. East High School students said they no longer feel safe on campus and said Denver Public Schools officials haven't responded aggressively enough to the threat gun violence following the shooting . Surveillance video from a beauty shop on Milwaukee Avenue shows a group of at least seven teenagers sprinting down the sidewalk. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Schurz High School interim principal Heidy Moran sent a letter to families saying shots had been fired across the street, but not indicating that students were shot. Garcia said her daughter wasnt released until almost 4 p.m. Thank god shes safe, Garcia said. By clicking Sign Up, I confirmthat I have read and agreeto the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. Updated: 9:10 AM MST March 3, 2023. I was nervous. I dont feel safe being around here anymore, Baker said. Vianni said she was worried about her dad, who again, happened to be waiting just steps from the shooting. The shooting took place on the patio of the La Michoacana Ice Cream Shop across the street from the school at Milwaukee Avenue and Addison Street. Four teenagers were shot in a drive-by attack outside an ice cream shop across the street from Schurz High School on the Northwest Side Wednesday afternoon, according to Chicago police. Four teenage boys were injured in the broad-daylight shooting on the patio of an ice cream shop outside the Northwest Side school, and one was left in critical condition. / CBS Chicago. because I knew he was outside already," she said, "so I was like, 'Dad, stay in the car! Were very upset ourselves and frustrated with this, Nieves said. According to Chicago fire officials, three juveniles and one adult were shot at the business near Schurz High School, located near the intersection of Milwaukee and Addison. A 17-year-old boy was taken to Community First Hospital in good condition with a graze wound to the leg, and an 18-year-old boy was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center also in good condition with a gunshot wound to the leg. DENVER A 16-year-old East High School student who was shot more than two weeks ago has died, a . No one is in custody, according to police. All rights reserved, Indiana State Trooper Struck and Killed by Suspect During Police Chase, Chicago FOP Lodge Reelects John Catanzara as President, New Ranking Names Most Expensive Cities In Illinois and These Chicago Suburbs Top the List, Chicago-Area Counties Under Winter Storm Advisories and Warnings, Chicago Suburb Lands on List of Happiest Places to Live,' Another Midwest City Makes Top 10, Actor Tom Sizemore, of Saving Private Ryan,' Dies at 61. As soon as they give the announcement, your heart goes into shock, he said Thursday morning. Five minutes after being told to remain in their classrooms, the students said they realized it was more serious. Police still have not made any arrests in this shooting or provided any details about the black SUV which they say fled from the scene. Schurz, at the corner of Milwaukee and Addison, went on lockdown when the shooting happened "just prior to the school's dismissal bell," according to an emailed statement from Chicago Public . 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. They said that when the shots were fired from a passing sport-utility vehicle outside the ice cream shop at 2:47 p.m. Wednesday, the group of teenagers who were wounded ran down Milwaukee Avenue. Im kind of worried about my safety, about coming to school, Escutia said on his way to Spanish class Thursday. The shooting occurred on the third day of classes for Chicago Public Schools. He doesn't want to come back to school but we're here. Witnesses said the victims, all teens, were near an ice cream shop. The junior said he doesnt feel secure inside or outside Schurz. Local businesses reopened to customers just before 6 p.m. Another 17-year-old was charged in the shooting. Parents said the CTA was discussed and the safety of students while waiting for the bus. No one is in custody. Police are seeking surveillance footage of that vehicle, and have canvassed nearby businesses to obtain more footage to aid in the investigation. De Mar also spoke to a man who heard the shots as he was outside the school while waiting for his niece. Moving forward, Nieves said police patrols will be enhanced near the school during arrival and dismissal times. She said shes spoken to several parents who want the restaurant to be closed. I haven't seen a lot of problems and then this happens," Marcotte said. Meanwhile, the Albany Park (17th) police district will have enhanced patrols both arrival and dismissal times at Schurz beginning on Thursday morning, Nieves said. Garcia said her daughter wasnt released until almost 4 p.m. Thank god shes safe, Garcia said. Moments later, the worker who didnt want to be identified heard screams outside. As the Carl Schurz High School students passed under the school's brown iron gates Thursday morning, community members greeted them with doughnuts and flowers outside the Northwest Side. Mily Garcia was waiting outside the school to pick up her daughter when she saw someone open fire from a passing SUV at a group at La Michoacna ice cream shop, a popular hangout spot for students after school. "I just wanted to see what they were gonna say; I mean, what can you really do," said Theresa Rios, grandparent of two students. They are also speaking to people nearby. All Rights Reserved. It was not immediately certain whether the victims attend Schurz, Chicago Police Area Five Deputy Chief Roberto Nieves said Wednesday. In 2006, three students were shot across the street from the school. Police said two of the victims are Chicago Public Schools students and a third is enrolled at an alternative school. "As soon as I parked here, I heard the shots. Four teens are wounded, one critically, in a drive-by shooting near Schurz High School. The city's (non) voters are not a monolith but crowded races and low awareness could be keeping them home, voting organizers say. Two bullet holes could be seen on the glass window pane near the entrance of the ice cream shop.