It's significantly quicker than the Newell except during school holidays. I can only remember him ever getting one ticket out of about 10 trips there and back. And catch the sunset at Whisky Bay, which is only a ten minute drive from Tidal River and really worth the effort. From M5 you get onto M7. Depending on the vehicle you choose to travel, you can calculate the amount of CO2 emissions from your vehicle and assess the environment impact. Its also worth taking a ride on the Walhalla Goldfields Railway, a charming heritage train that crosses a series of bridges before reaching its destination 20 minutes later, before heading back. The towns along the way are nicer to stop in too, IMNSHO :), If you smoke enough meth and buy a V8 you can do it in one. My recommendation for tonights stop is Jervis Bay, another very popular tourist destination with lots to offer. The Hume Highway is a multilane highway, which is effectively a motorway the entire way. Or Berrima. I don't mind driving either, I have a huge tolerance for patience. Thanks in adavance. Then via G'windi, Warwick & Logan Motorway. After leaving Goulburn and stopping at the North Brother lookout, we arrived in Port Macquarie by late afternoon. Alot of people will do this as a day trip from Melbourne though if travelling to Sydney there is . Depending on the vehicle you choose to travel, you can calculate the amount of CO2 emissions from your vehicle and assess the environment impact. Typically 14 services run weekly, although . You can also find some cool day trips or get away for a weekend. Theres lots to see and do on the NSW South Coast. Driving from Melbourne to Sydney by car is not the most scenic route either. 54.7 km. The drive time each day is also quite short in this itinerary, and thats intentional. Yes, even this step is optional, because if you're on vacation The only downside is that I always get the first stint in the morning because my wife goes back to sleep that early in the morning. It wont feel like youre going any faster, but the clock will notice overall. Disclaimer: links in this post are an affiliate. Surfside Bus Line/G Link Tram: $5-$6 per person to Surfers Paradise - 1hr 15 mins. Read more in our Gold Coast Airport Guide. Then about 5 or 6 hours on the next day. With all town detours and bypasses completed in 2013, the route . You can travel from the Northern NSW border to Melbourne without striking a single traffic light. I remember when we used to drive up when I was young (1970s) we'd leave Sale at 4am, breakfast at Shepparton, then make it to Goondiwindi for the stopover. But feel free to change things as you go there are lots of other options, particularly along the NSW South Coast. The journey time between Melbourne and Queensland is around 26h 21m and covers a distance of around 1926 km. Weekend getaways in Victoria- beaches and nature. It's technically quicker to go from Melbourne to GC via Sydney but you can lose any savings simply because Sydney can be shit. more. An interesting stop to help break up the trip down the Hume Highway. Can anyone give me any useful tips or help with the drive? Those keen on Ski-ing or snowboarding in winter (June - August) can exit the highway after only 2 hours and head east for another hour to Mt Buller. FAQ => What 5 star hotels are on the Gold Coast? Theres an inland highway that is a bit faster, or take the coastal road to see the townships along the way. There are quite a few longer-stay holiday homes in Narooma, but if youre looking for somewhere easier for a night or two, these are my top suggestions. Cities Distance; If you are limited for time or just arent interested in seeing anything along the way, then the Hume highway is the best option. Gold Coast airport to Brisbane cruise terminal, We are 2 pensioner couples looking for an apartment, Small layover before international flight, Accommodation with good block out blinds & late checkout, What's a good hotel near Metricon Stadium. This is most direct route to take. road conditions from Melbourne to Gold Coast, Enter a city to drive through, or find all. Ulladulla also has good food options but if youre looking for somewhere to eat around there, I would actually suggest continuing on to Milk Haus near Milton, where youll find a converted farmhouse with excellent coffee and meals. In fact, once you are on Sydneys motorway network, the speed limit only slows below 100km/h once around the La Trobe University campus at Wodonga, and there is only one set of traffic lights between the two cities. However, flights can get more expensive in peak time and at the last minute. Although its a small town, there are quite a few places to stay in Walhalla and they all come with a little bit of history. The way back we went along the Newell Highway and stayed overnight in Dubbo. During your travel, you plan to visit the following-1) hume highway2) Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Take your sweet time and break up the drive from Sydney to make the most of the scenery and the laidback pace of life along the New South Wales' south coast. You know that Google is notoriously unreliable Yarramar. This section could be endless, so rather than trying to You can do it in a day if you leave super early, but make sure you get your timings right to skip peak hour in Sydney. Trip Itinerary - Newell Highway Drive from Melbourne to Brisbane Day 1 Total Travel = 6 hours 25 minutes Day 2 Total Travel = 7 hours Day 3 Total Travel = 5 hours 25 minutes Trip Highlights - Newell Highway Drive from Melbourne to Brisbane Nearby Merimbula also makes for a lovely rest. What is the road driving distance between Melbourne to Gold Coast via hume highway, Melbourne? The routes we took. Making it one of the more interesting stops along the way. Thankyou for any advice. Todays drive is one of the prettiest of the whole trip, with lush Australian bush along both sides of the road for most of the way, as you cut through national parks and state forests. On the Albury side of the river, I would suggest that you look at either The Cottage Motor Inn, Astor Motel or the Atura Albury depending on your budget and how long you are planning on staying. s.src = u + '?v=' + (+new Date());
Take breaks every couple of hours, rest stops and truck stops are good places to stop at and most will have toilets and picnic tables at least. Wilsons Promontory is the southernmost point of mainland Australia and it has an amazing collection of natural offerings. (4 answers), Melissa from asked:Favorites hikes and activities along the Gold Coast (1 answer). However, due to some ingenuity from Holbrooks locals, you are now free to walk around and explore the submarine, which is now parked in a field (well, at the least the top half of it is). Or the last option before you start climbing up the hill is the historic town of Moe, where there are some leisurely bushwalks to stretch your legs. My personal recommendation is Trappers Bakery directly across the road from the Big Merino. If youre looking for somewhere to stop along the way, there are two good options. The train is relatively basic, though, and certainly not the standard you find with high-speed trains in Europe or Japan. This includes an average layover time of around 1h. The mighty Hume Highway has long been the main connection point for Australias two largest cities, Melbourne and Sydney. Couldn't find many reviews since the. A large site with a pool, playground and water access, Jervis Bay Holiday Park is a perfect option for families and casual holidays. Its one of the most interesting natural locations in Australia but, for some reason, gets a limited number of tourists. Approximately 1000 kms, about 12 hours. Its almost entirely a motorway between Sydney and Melbourne, making it a really straightforward drive. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-109307494', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Sydney then the Pacific to GC. The final stretch of highway, past the Royal National Park, will be quite fast and there are no convenient places to stop, without doing a detour. I cant recommend an audio book more than for a long drive. Dating back to 1877, the Albury Botanic Gardens are an idyllic slice of history. Youll even be able to taste a few of the local fresh oysters in a beautiful natural surrounding. var s = d.createElement(sc), p = d.getElementsByTagName(sc)[0];
If you were to drive, the cost of petrol would be at least double that. Whilst we were there, a wedding party was having professional photos taken against the lovely backdrop. The cosy rooms at Prom Coast Apartments come with a full kitchenette and are only a few minutes from the beach. Everything west of Circular Quay sucks, most especially Pennant Hills Road. stay for about 1 hour and leave at 4:47 pmdrive for about 1.5 hours, Rachael asked:Driving from Gold Coast to Melbourne (0 answers), Jay asked:Help me plan my trip (0 answers), Benalla (3 answers) Goulburn is probably the nicest stop. stay for about 1 hour and leave at 5:02 pmdrive for about 2 hours, 6:55 pm Yass
If you are looking for a feed, or even just a caffine top up, there is a cafe right beside the Otway which is a handy for coffee and a snack. Alternatively, flights from Melbourne to Canberra take an hour. As a part of the Hume Highway, the road was signed as National Route 31 in 1954. . I'd stop at Newcastle. We wondered if we had made a terrible mistake but it all turned out fine and everyone had a fun holiday. After that, there are several 24 hour petrol stations on the Hume Highway itself. The Hume Highway directly links Sydney and Melbourne, starting in one and finishing in the other.At the Sydney end, the highway section of Hume Highway links up with the M5 and M7. We did both directions in one hit, and whilst one driver can make it with ample rest stops, its always nicer to break it up with two drivers. The series of seven cute cottages at Hyams Beach Seaside Cottages are well-equipped and right on the coast for a wonderful boutique experience. you can get answers personalized for your tastes, budgets, this small town was once a booming gold mining settlement in the middle of the 19th century. You can potter around for a quiet afternoon, or do what most people come here for and hit the water! A short little detour off the Hume Highway, this little town features a history of Australian Naval Submarining that you can find out all about when you get there. It is about 880 km from Melbourne to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? In terms of intercity drives, the Hume Highway is the easiest one in Australia. I would have loved to browse in the stores but we were running short on time. For a one week stay, each couple paid aus$700 and we had the added bonus of a large living space, private pool and a kitchen to prepare meals. Report inappropriate content Beach8um Bald Knob, Australia Destination Expert Stretching more than 800 kilometres, the Hume Highway is the fastest transport route between Sydney and Melbourne. Re: Drive Melbourne to Gold Coast 8 years ago Save current road works at various locations between Grafton and just north of Byron Bay on the Pacific Hway. Advice i give you is to go easy on your car. Yes, there is a train from Melbourne to Sydney that connects the capital cities through stops including Wangaratta, Wagga Wagga, and Goulburn. Keep up to date with all the latest Here, There & Gone! 1,715 km18 h 44 min Report inappropriate content dev1236 australia Level Contributor 3,294 posts 6 reviews 4 helpful votes 2. The road driving distance between Melbourne to Gold Coast via hume highway, Melbourne is 2922 Km. Driving at 50 km/h on main routes through regional towns in NSW will try a Victorian's patience. Give yourself at least 3 days. Or maybe you are planning a significant road trip around Australia? Other popular stops include Cape Byron Lighthouse Cafe, Sea World, and Fig Tree Lawn - Royal Botanic Garden. Calories Bicycling 104.306 kcal Running 100.354 kcal Jogging 96.403 kcal CO2 Emission VS Trees Flight 362.3 kg (6074Trees) You can relax on the sand or go hiking for hours (or even days). Unless you plan to stay longer (which would be great), I suggest you spend your time seeing a few different aspects of Croajingalong National Park. Still, you can continue to follow the A28/A22 route where the old Hume Highway continues under a number of different road names (including Liverpool Road and the Camden Valley Way) until it joins up with the Great Western Highway (Parramatta Road) in the Sydney suburb of Ashfield.While in Melbourne, the motorway section of the Hume Highway links up to the M80 (also known as the Metropolitan Ring Road). I would suggest taking this stretch of the drive slowly and dont be afraid to stop a few times along the way for a quick swim, a coffee, or even just a wander around town. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Hiking up to the top of Genoa Peak gives you fantastic views and is relatively easy, taking about 30 minutes from the carpark. In this road trip itinerary, Ill be taking you along the Melbourne to Sydney coastal drive. It may seem like an odd place for a zoo, but theres an impressive collection of species here including lions, giraffes, tamarins, gibbons, gorillas, and snow leopards. As well as plenty of places to pick up Ned Kelly souvenirs. Best of all you can sit down on the terrace and see the Spider Monkeys and Lemurs on the Savannah Lake. Or tkae it more slowly in a kayak or on a stand up paddle board. Then continue on to spend the afternoon . Edit: Truck rigs will be longer than what you might be used to so don't overtake unless you are able to see literally kilometres ahead of you on a straight stretch and let them overtake if possible so you can relax a bit more. The Big Banana was one of Australias first big things. I once drove in heavy fog at night and it was very scary. Just an hour further down the road is the small town of Holbrook. Melbourne to Gold Coast drive driving / 3 days Melbourne to Gold Coast road trip planner Here's a sample itinerary for a drive from Melbourne to Gold Coast. I would suggest trying to extend for a night or two, though, and spend a whole day in at least one of the stops perhaps Metung, Mallacoota, or Jervis Bay. From here, you can explore the parts of the park that are easy to access. 24 mins), (7 hrs Drive - Melbourne to Sydney - (via Hume Hwy) Drive - Sydney to Melbourne - (Coastal route) Drive - Sydney to Brisbane - (Coastal route) Trip Reports . Is Coast road as quick and which town would you recommend overnighting in for a 1 night stop. Do you want a map that gives you the probable stopping points and halfway point of your journey? We drove up to the summit of North Brother Mountain to see the scenic views from the three lookout platforms. With motels, just pick whatever looks nice to you. If you're planning a road trip to Gold Coast, you can research locations to stop along the way. Dooragan National Park is about 40 km from Port Macquarie. Start at 4:30 to 5am, 2 drivers, overnight in Gilgandra. Blue Mountains National Park (6 mentions) The back was on the waterfront with a beach area and jetty part of the property. Many were established to supply the miners on their trek north to the gold fields. If anything, avoid being around the central coast heading south on a Sunday afternoon, because that'll be more drama than NorthConnex/M7 likely will. Although the Wave Oasis B&B is set up like a guesthouse, each small apartment is self-contained and feels quiet and private. Trip planners by destination. Show only these on map. Enjoy! Brisbane Qld - Melbourne VIC Road Maps Melbourne to Brisbane Road Map via Hume, Newell, Gore & Warrego Highways 1700 Km - 20.2 Hours. After passing along the edge of the (soon to be renamed) Ben Boyd National Park, youll hit the first of the coastal towns, Eden. As you can see on the map above, theres lots of ground to cover. Croman, when I was a kid we drove from (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? 45 mins), FAQ about Map from Melbourne to Gold Coast. Photo: iStock. About an hour further down the Hume Highway, just south of Wangaratta, is Glenrowan a small town made famous for being the location of the infamous Kelly Gangs made their last stand. The Sydney to Melbourne inland drive is a staple road trip that many Aussies have been making since childhood. A little under 900km each day. Heading down from the mountains towards the coast, most of todays drive will be through agricultural land, with the silhouettes of the hills to your left, and the ocean out of sight to the right. Leave Melbourne at 2-3am. 2011-2023 distancesfrom.com. The first part of todays drive will just be getting out of Melbourne, through the citys southeastern suburbs. You can head out to the island on a boat and watch them safely from deck or you can even jump in and swim with them, like I did. SkyBus shuttle service to Byron Bay: $15 per person to Surfers Paradise - 55mins. Just keep in mind that the Big Merino gift shop operates in more traditional business hours so if youre on the road early you might need to save this one for the trip back. The Jervis Bay accommodation is quite spread out, although theres a lot around Huskisson and Vincentia. There are huge granite mountains, forest, beaches, and rocky outcrops. Maybe stay somewhere on the outskirts of Sydney, near the motorway, or around Gosford. However dont fret if you do need to stop, for petrol or food. It was a fun activity for everyone and they were all so creatively individual, Fletcher absolutely loved seeing the different designs on each Koala. But soon youll reach the southern edge of Sydney and begin to make your way through the suburbs. Although there are lots of places to stop along the Melbourne to Sydney drive, Ive chosen the ones in this itinerary because they offer some of the most interesting activities, with significant national parks or iconic experiences. All aboard for a ride on Australia's oldest steam railway, through thick forests and lush fern gullies, or travel first class for olden-times romance. Is it possible to do the drive in 2 days? . ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-109307548', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Sydney and a bit less from Sydney to Surfers Paradise. Dubbo is about half way, and still quite a drive to fit in one day with adequate fuel and rest stops. Yes, its about 10-12 hours in the car (depending on stops) taking the Hume Highway route, but it is a fairly easy drive. Alternative is to take Hume/Pacific and turn off just south of Coffs onto the Orara Way. Just a few minutes from the beach, Horizon Apartments has modern self-contained units of different sizes. But you can definitely just stay a night or two and you may appreciate the facilities on a long road trip. A coastal town with a hippie-chic vibe, Byron Bay is Australias Easternmost town. Day 1: Melbourne to Walhalla Option: Melbourne to Wilsons Promontory Day 2: Walhalla to Metung Day 3: Metung to Mallacoota Day 4: Mallacoota to Narooma Day 5: Narooma to Jervis Bay Day 6: Jervis Bay to Sydney. Route: Sydney to Melbourne via the Hume Highway Highlights: Goulburn, Big Merino, Gundagai, Albury and Glenrowan. Compared to other drives, didn't really get bored at all. Thousands of people lived and worked here during the boom. Would routinely do family trips to Sunshine coast from melbourne every 2 years. I'm looking at moving from the Gold Coast to Melbourne for work and driving as I can take more stuff with me, including thing I'm hesitate to trust to movers. Travel itinerary guides. About Us; Staff; Camps; Scuba. By far preferred the Hume route. Take the inland route. I would recommend a coffee or lunch at theFozigobble Cafe,which has organic food and a lovely garden at the front. M7 West Connex $8.34; M2 to West Pennant Hills $4.06; and North Connex $8.11; for a total of $20.51 EACH WAY. While I often fly between the two cities, there have many times that have required me to drive, so Ive racked up my fair share of kilometres on the Hume Highway (also referred to at the M31) driving between the two. Melbourne and Brisbane are two of Australia's largest cities in the east, and it's easy to travel the 1040 miles (1674 km) between them. For me Google maps says cann river to Canberra then take the Hume to Sydney and then up the coast to gold coast, a total of 18 hours. On the way there we took the Pacific Highway with stops along the way and staying overnight twice. Guides and resources. It was a multi-generational road trip, I was about 4 months pregnant and we were meeting my husbands parents on the Gold Coast, where we would all be staying in the same house. The town pays tribute to this history with a number of monuments, the biggest being the gigantic statue of Ned Kelly attached to the local post office. Or, if you want to get a bit more driving in before you stop, then Thirroul is a excellent option for a stop. Don't know how my dad did it, driving 95% of the way himself. Although I think the quieter community of Gipsy Point is actually a nicer place to stay, if youre looking for something less busy. In total, this coastal route between Melbourne and Sydney is 1200 kilometres long and will take a total of about 15 hours driving. It is about 880 km from Melbourne to Sydney and a bit less from Sydney to Surfers Paradise. Don't trust energy drinks with your life, if you're at the point of 'not long to go I'll get a red Bull and be right' pull over and have a nap. There are a few things to see in town, and the Redd Catt restaurant is nice for a meal or a coffee. There are 6 ways to get from Hume Highway Reserve, Hume Hwy to Gold Coast by train, plane, tram, bus or car. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-109307779', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Sydney is ~45mins quicker than the Newell Hwy, even though the Newell is only 5km further in comparison (to Nerang). The drive home from Gold Coast to Melbourne was harder as we didnt have time to make stops. It is certainly the easiest of the city to city drives in Australia. Particularly motels I can stay in overnight. Todays drive is just long enough that youll probably want to stop somewhere to break up the journey and have a rest. With a break for breakfast and lunch, you'll get to see the dish in Parkes late afternoon. The delays through Liverpool in peak hours can be managed. If you travel via (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Don't go via Tambourine Mountain Road into the Gold Coast if you can possibly avoid it, no mountain driving in Victoria will prepare you for that and you will wish you never did so.