If its difficult to describe the love for a brother, its impossible to explain the loss of a brother. Hes always taking a knee, and he crosses himself (a curious gesture, since from his funeral his family is clearly not Catholic). And I didnt want him to always be wondering what could have been. Mom and I picked him up at the airport when he came home. I was 16 years older than Brandon, so I was already out of the house, married and raising my own boys by the time he was of any age. Follow him on Twitter. Had life turned out differently, Marty Burlsworth might be reflecting on his brother's pro football career during Super Bowl weekend. Or Kurt Rambis, the funny-looking center for the Los Angeles Lakers. McDonough plays Marty, Brandon's big brother and father figure in the film, and he . Even after away games, when the Razorbacks returned to Fayetteville late at At present, through the Burls Kids program, the foundation works towards providing underprivileged youths a chance to visit Razorback and Colts football games. In 2001, "Eyes of a Champion, the Brandon Burlsworth Story" by Jeff Kinley was released. As quarterback Clint Stoerner accepted the snap and backed away from the center his foot got tangled up with Burlsworth, who was to his right and was backing up, trying to hold his block. Greater, a 2016 release, tells the life story of Burlsworth, who rose from mediocrity to greatness depending on his faith.Just 10 days after being drafted by the NFL's Indianapolis . Even in earthly terms it can be argued that Brandons life and achievements were not a waste. Greater is playing in limited release (find theaters). Brazilian Charity Caring for Children Who Survived Abortions Issues Urgent Appeal, Memento Mori: Remember You Are Going to Die, The Meat of the Matter: St. Patricks Day and the Lenten Fast, Pope Francis Inexhaustible Font of Words: 10 Gems From the Heart Over 10 Years. As far as Brandon goes and reliving everything- through his foundation weve always kept his memory alive and his example out there for kids ever since his accident. He is most famous for his college football career at the University of Arkansas. Brandon did not get married before he passed away when he was only twenty-two years old. Harrison, Arkansas, United States. And boy, was he soaking it in. Not good at all. you, Subscribe to The Daily Company Credits I let out a little sigh of relief. It had this outdoor patio that you could stand on and look down on the field. Marty Burlsworth Aug 26, 2016 Harrison, Arkansas, is about as small town as it gets. As indicated by the police report, Burlsworth's vehicle floated somewhat over the middle line on U.S. 412, cut the front bumper of a tractor-trailer, and afterward, while he was probably attempting to recover control, crossed the inside line again and hit another tractor-trailer. Leslie Easterbrook plays Burlsworth's mother, Barbar. And I know a lot of good has come out of it and I think a lot of good is going to continue to come out of it and only grow what were [doing] through this film and through Brandons foundation, to impact a lot of kids for many years. I think Brandon would be proud of the work were doing in his name. I think the overall message of the film is we can learn from this and my character in the movie may not be 100 percent the way it is or the way it was, but that doesnt really matter. Actor Chris Severio (left), who plays Brandon Burlsworth in the movie "Greater, " autographs Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016, a movie poster for Mark Marinoni, 16, of . And if Brandon was doing whatever he could on the field, then I sure as heck would do whatever I could to help get my brother there. The idea wasnt to be the greatest walk-on, Marty explained, it was to get a scholarship.. Brandon doesnt start out with all that promise. But Id do anything for that kid. But as Marty Burlsworth, Brandon's older brother and companion through it all, emphasized in an exclusive interview with The Daily Wire, Brandon made his football goals happen because he was relentless. And I couldnt wait to be right there with him. So that makes it quite a bit easier to revisit because weve never really gone away. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Marty Burlsworth: Burlsworth Photography: Address: 117 W Central Harrison AR 72601 map Phone: 870-741-5111 : Branch Photography : Keith Branch: Branch Photography: Address: 4850 Mission Blvd Fayetteville AR 72703 map Phone: 479-973-0012 Marty Burlsworth Discusses the Upcoming 2021 Brandon Pig Trail Nation / Jun 1, 2021 / 04:30 PM CDT. But as it got later in the evening and Mom got more and more worked up, I hopped into my own car to head over and see if we could find out what had happened. I think it was in June [1999] I think [thats] kinda when that started. It was the Razorbacks. Marty's wife, Vickie is also available to speak when their schedule allows. But I didnt have that natural talent. Im sure Josh Wheaton, the young apologist in Gods Not Dead, would know all the right things to say to Searcys character, but then Searcy wouldnt be permitted to make his case so eloquently in a movie like Gods Not Dead, if he were allowed to appear at all. A couple of weeks before Brandon left for school, one of the Arkansas coaches called me. However, even from a young age, Brandon Burlsworth (Christopher Severio) knew in his heart he would one day play college football for the Arkansas Razorbacks, and dedicated his life to making a difference for himself and his teammates. 166 | Friday, August 19, 2016, Arkansas All-American Walk-On Burlsworth Now the Subject of Film, You have entered an invalid email address, Research millions of people and Evelyn Allen started as the Development and Social Media Director for the foundation in March of 2020. Now, if you find yourself at that Colts shop, I told him, You make sure and get us some gear this time.. Burlsworth, 22, died 10 days after his selection on April 28, 1999, in a car crash in Arkansas. interested in booking Marty for your event? He was, with various modifiers, Clark Kent. Each Wednesday, he came back to take his mother, Barbara, to chapel. So because you and your close ones felt like this story could be a film, did you make that known and/or start looking for filmmakers to bring it to life? Greater has three surprises, which is three more than most faith-based films, particularly of the inspirational sports-movie variety. Marty is registered to vote in Boone County, Arkansas. 1 Tennessee. While the film might not give Burlsworth enough credit for what talent he did have no one goes from walk-on to All-American without some ability he did always seem to have a knack for doing what seemed impossible. He was the kind of guy that we would have plugged in our offensive line for 10-plus years, said then-Colts general manager Bill Polian. Its unreal. But, you know, how would you make it where it wasnt basically depressing. Those were offensive lineman Brandon Burlsworths trademark, and they were prominent even behind the facemask of his Arkansas Razorbacks helmet. But almost every boy growing up in the state wants to be a Razorback. The phone number for him is (870) 741-7472 (Windstream Arkansas, Inc). Over the next two years he reformed his body to become more muscular and went back to a 300lb physique. He and his wife Tresia have four children, Michael, Jordan, Brandon and Samantha. Anything that wasnt right, wasnt real, wasnt what Brandon was about. I dont how many times Id call to check in.Coach, ya need anything?Id sit every week with the newspaper. "He said, 'You'll have veto power,' " Marty Burlsworth remembered. Everybody knew. As we walked by one of the pro shops, we joked to each other. But now that my own boys are older, if theyre even ten minutes late, I get a little concerned and think that maybe theyre in trouble, maybe something went wrong. Brandon was selected by the Indianapolis Colts as the 63rd overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft. Whether it was in Fayetteville, or in Knoxville or Tuscaloosa, we had an unspoken rule: We were going to Brandons games. The latest videos from KNWA FOX24. Birthday: September 20, 1976 ( Virgo) Born In: Harrison, Arkansas, United States 113 30 American Football Players #138 Sportspersons #1083 Quick Facts Also Known As: Brandon Vaughn Burlsworth Died At Age: 22 Family: father: Leo Burlsworth mother: Barbara Burlsworth siblings: Grady Burlsworth, Marty Burlsworth Died Young American Football Players Director David Hunt (from left) poses Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016, with producer Brian Reindl, and Marty Burlsworth, brother of Brandon Burlsworth, during a red carpet event ahead of the premiere of . EWTN News, Inc. is the worlds largest Catholic news organization, comprised of television, radio, Channing Frye and Iman Shumpert are back to explain the stakes, place bets and analyze the most valuable players in the NBA Finals. FAYETTEVILLE Marty Burlsworth remembers the day Brian Reindl came to Harrison to pitch his idea of making a movie about the life of Burlsworth's late brother, Brandon.. Brandon was the kind of guy you win with.. Now, at Arkansas and Indianapolis Burls Kids attend games for free. Brian Reindl, writer and producer of "Greater," said he loved the opportunity to tell such an incredible story in his first-ever production. arkansas football. Surely God will hear Brandons prayer, if not his own; the prayer of a righteous man avails much, and if anyone is righteous, its Brandon. Perhaps Martys favorite play from Brandons college career is one that occurred in the same game as the play he would most like to forget. His brother Marty, 17 years his senior, berates him "Cheesecake," he calls him for his indolence as well as their mother Barbara (Leslie Easterbrook) for her indulgence. For someone who had worked so hard and not only did he work so hard, but [for] the family to be backing him and supporting him and talking to him everyday and seeing him everyday and [him] moving on and going on to greater things and then for that to- boom- [and be] over. Hed be all over the line, right off the snap. Brandons older brother Marty started the foundation after Brandons death in 1999. His high school coaches couldnt believe his size when he came back for his junior season. Brandon Burlsworth was born on September 20, 1976, in Harrison, Arkansas. This one painful scene is wiser than all the movies the Fireproof / Courageous people have made (including their football movie, Facing the Giants). Brandon was so single-minded, so focused. The University of Arkansas awarded Marty the prestigious Honorary Alumni Award for his work with underprivileged children. The drive would always take around an hour and a half but he never made it. And I was equally impressed with Missy, his wife [They] live in Fayetteville and they drove over to Harris to meet with us and she said Whatever he sets his mind to, he gets done that resonates with me because that was like Brandon. We wont be there. She enjoys singing on the worship team at church, riding motorcycles with her husband, photography, and scrapbooking. The present-day strand follows preparations for Brandons funeral and Martys internal struggle with doubt and nihilism, a struggle movingly realized by McDonough. In 1999, he completed an MBA and was the first Razorback football player to complete a master's degree. "It was a passion project for everyone who was involved," actor Neal McDonough told CBN News. As for this film, Greater has been more than a decade in the making a labor of love for first-time Arkansas producer Brian Reindl. Marty and Vickie have three sons, two daughters in law, an adorable granddaughter Blake, and a precious grandson, Carter. After working 11 years on his Brandon Burlsworth biopic Greater, Reindl is within days of seeing his dream project open on 400 to 450 screens across the Southeast, Midwest and Southwest next week.. Burlsworth was an All-American football player for the University of Arkansas, who died tragically in an automobile . And he justdominatedon the field didnt matter if he was on defense or offense. Predictably, trash-talking opponents laughed at him and called him names. He found it in routine and repetition, in church and in the trenches, in that place where they call the Hogs and even an Alabama visitor can feel what it means for a young man from Harrison, Ark., to call himself a Razorback. In 2002, Brandon was inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame and later in 2004 he was inducted into the University of Arkansas Letterman's Association Hall of Honor. Arkansas doesnt have a pro football team I dont even know if a pro team could survive here. Give a Gift SubscriptionBless friends, family or clergy with a gift of the Register. A coda sums up the impact of Brandons life: the programs, scholarships and so forth established in his name. Born In: Harrison, Arkansas, United States, siblings: Grady Burlsworth, Marty Burlsworth, place of death: Alpena, Arkansas, United States. If it meant bringing a basket of baseballs to the park so he could work on his hitting and pitching, I wanted to be there. We first meet him as an overweight young couch potato (Ethan Waller) with apparent delusions of grandeur: Hes convinced hes going to attend the University of Arkansas and play for the Razorbacks.