Part 1: Lauren Salzman: Cross Examination Stopped by Judge: Women of Raniere and Laurens Acceptance of Them, Part 2: Lauren Salzman Cross Examination Stopped by Judge: Lauren Asked If She Was an Adult, Part 3: Lauren Salzman Cross Examination Stopped by Judge: Laurens Pain Over Not Having Child, Part 4: Lauren Salzman: Cross Examination Stopped by Judge: Branding Was Supposed to Be a Sisterly Bonding Experience, Part 5: Lauren Salzman: Cross-Examination Stopped by Judge: I felt I needed Keith 100 Percent. A Well, if I dont believe anything that any of my friends say, then I didnt experience any of that. That's led to speculation she may cooperate. No relationship, no baby. A Yes. Formerly one of NXIVMs most loyal capos, an exhausted-looking Salzman recounted decades of her emotional manipulation at the hands of Raniere, a self-described genius who once held such sway over his followers that they believed he was able to control the weather. THE COURT: We have been through this. And you betrayed us. Q Kristin Keeffe, you said, was in the legal sort of part NXIVM, she was in the legal department? Q Youve been through a lot for Keith; right? That happened at least once that I know of. Q But you know that now because the Government gave you the recordings to listen to of the meetings that you werent in? Privacy Policy. Of course, that was a traumatic experience. So thanks Lauren. Q Im going to ask you the question again. A top "slave master" in the alleged sex cult Nxivm said in testimony on Friday she herself was sexually and psychologically enslaved by Keith Raniere, . At times she approached tears and spoke sometimes in a shaky voice. Formerly one of NXIVMs most loyal capos, an exhausted-looking Salzman recounted decades of her emotional manipulation at the hands of Raniere, a self-described genius who once held such sway over his followers that they believed he was able to control the weather. THE COURT: All right, the witness is excused. Q And you said that Kristin told you, and a group of people, that she brought Daniella over the border. . Q So the Government plays these recordings for you; right? Then Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis rose. THE COURT: Anything else from the defense? I didnt want to sit at the defense table and tell a false story about what happened. And you betrayed us. Q And you always were concerned that Keith held Cami in sort of a special place in his heart? He told me if I stayed, he would reinvest in our relationship and we would have children, she said. We were running out of ideas as to what to do Salzman said, according to the New York Post. She avoided looking at Raniere during her testimony. Tell us what you think will happen next? A Yes, and I think there were some with Allison [Mack] and Rosa Laura [Junco] too. The one who was not applying them was the man who made them up Keith Raniere. He was sentenced on October 27, 2020. Salacious Allegations Emerge In NXIVM Sex Cult Trial. What am I doing wrong? Bummer Let me know if you find them at some point- and thanks! Lauren Salzman reported to Raniere regarding Daniela's "progress," but The Judge did what his conscience told him to do- be a compassionate human. And I didnt have a problem. I just want to say thank you for this post. But according to Salzmans testimony, she ended up staying for somewhere between 18 and 24 months. Everyone rises for the jury. Was Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis right to halt the cross-examination of Lauren Salzman? NXIVM cult member Lauren Salzman was sentenced on Wednesday for her role as a top official in the upstate New York sex cult. Agnifilo referred audiotapes [and transcripts of the tapes] of meetings held for DOS in 2016 before Lauren joined DOS. Pam talked me back into my relationship with Keith over the years, many times, and Pam facilitated my relationship with Keith initially. Salzman spent four days on the witness stand during Raniere's 2019 trial, testifying about the group's inner workings, Raniere's involvement, and her own failed attempts to leave the group. His work has been cited in hundreds of news outlets, like The New York Times, The Daily Mail, VICE News, CBS News, Fox News, New York Post, New York Daily News, Oxygen, Rolling Stone, People Magazine, The Sun, The Times of London, CBS Inside Edition, among many others in all five continents. She was more and more upset. Lauren and the others will have had even more time to get perspective on what actually happened and why. I'm sure you sound this way too. Having said that, I didnt think Agnifilo went overboard, there were a lot of questions where Salzman wasnt answering the question being asked. As far as Laurens being stupid, she doesnt come off as stupid at all. The messages also revealed that Camila was 15 when . THE COURT: Look, I am not saying you are not a man you are not a lawyer who maintains his composure. But what was more troubling is not that they had a relationship it was Keiths consistent misrepresentations of things he made promises to me that I gave up real other opportunities of things that I wanted and he knew that I wanted, and he didnt fulfill those promises Keith said, in the curriculum, that ultimately we want to make our words so strong, like so strong that when we tell people we will do something, it will be done. The whole time, I kept thinking, They could shoot in this door,' she said. Parlato has been prominently featured on HBOs docuseries The Vow and was the lead investigator and coordinating producer for Investigation Discoverys The Lost Women of NXIVM. In addition, he was credited in the Starz docuseries 'Seduced' for saving 'slave' women from being branded and escaping the sex-slave cult known as DOS. I didnt know what it was. Lauren Salzman, 42, who pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of racketeering and racketeering conspiracy in March, testified she was a master and had six slaves of her own. The daughter of group cofounder Nancy Salzman, who has pleaded guilty to a single charge of racketeering conspiracy, Salzman, 42, began her testimony last week describing her first meeting with Raniere in 1998, when she was 21 years old. Lauren Salzman detailed the allegations in Brooklyn federal court, testifying that Keith Raniere had plans to build a sex dungeon in a home the group owned in Waterford, N.Y. "They were making a dungeon in the basement. She has been on the stand for hours. Raniere also drafted a public statement defending the existence of DOS while simultaneously denying he had anything to do with it. A I dont recall. And I am not going to allow someone to be placed in this circumstance and then let it continue. She is crying as she speaks. Lauren Salzman told a Brooklyn jury that as members of a secret master-slave society within an upstate New York group called Nxivm, women were so brainwashed they would jump at all hours. Of all the regrettable things I have done with Keith and Nxivm, this by far is the one that gives me the greatest personal sadness, she wrote to the judge. The statement, which was read at trial, accused the media of shaming the women for engaging in consensual activities and spearheading a campaign against the rights of women and alternative lifestyles. At one point in the email, Raniere compared DOS members to authors of the Declaration of Independence. You lost everything Lauren. Salzman flew into a panic. As part of this protracted litigation, that dragged on for more than a decade, Raniere and his sidekick Salzman, were deposed for hours under oath. She was here and one day she was gone? The branding ceremony took place in 2017 inside a house near Albany, where female members of the so-called cult Nxivm . Lauren Salzman, who detailed the group's inner workings during four days of testimony at Keith Raniere's trial, was sentenced to probation. Q And with the exception of Rosa Laura, Keith slept with all of those women? Salzman, the former president and co-founder of NXIVM, was sentenced Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021, to 42 months in prison and fined $150,000, but won't be locked up until January. Sir, I have a right and an obligation to control the extent to which something like this is put to a witness and you had that opportunity. THE COURT: That requires a legal conclusion. Lauren Salzman was once a high-ranking leader of the purported self-help group Nxivm and a loyal member of founder Keith Raniere's inner circle. Fixed: Release in which this issue/RFE has been fixed.The release containing this fix may be available for download as an Early Access Release or a General Availability Release. But what I had here was, I had a crisis here. When I try to get the 22nd or the 23rd, it shows as only one page. The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time Earlier today, in federal court in Brooklyn, Nancy Salzman, also known as "Prefect," the former president and co-founder of Nxivm, was sentenced to 42 months' imprisonment and ordered to pay a $150,000 fine by United States District Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis for racketeering conspiracy, including predicate acts of conspiracy to commit identity Q Part of whats happened is that, through the discovery process, you have learned more about Keiths relationships with other women; fair to say? , and Padilla purchased various BDSM sex toys for use during penance, as a sex-toy company owner testified last week. how old was jan stenerud when he retired. A Yes. I may not get everything right up here, but I will tell you, as a human being, it was the right decision. Agnifilo clearly says he was done. THE COURT: Asked and answered. . Edmonsons husband publicly confronted Salzman about DOS at a NXIVM event, prompting the rest of the organization to learn about the existence of DOS. Salzman obviously did. Numskull. And then I found out, during that time, he started like twelve new [sexual] relationships with people who were not compensating for those holes that were left in the organization [by Pam and Barbara Jeske] many of them didnt even share any of our values. Lauren Salzman got time-served in July in light of her cooperation. He basically verbally confessed to racketeering. AGNIFILO: I dont think she did. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. A federal judge sentenced Lauren Salzman, a high-ranking leader of an upstate New York sex cult, to five years of probation on Wednesday, following her "extraordinary" assistance to prosecutors. Q You didnt know that Keith and Cami had a relationship? Q Was your intention to hurt people or was it to help people? Lauren Salzman, 45, pleaded guilty in April 2019 to racketeering and conspiracy charges for her role in the upstate New York group that manipulated thousands of members under the guise of. Q Yeah, were you surprised that Keith was having these kinds of interactions with these women, most of whom he was sleeping with? It kills me that I hurt people that I loved so much, a teary Salzman told the court. Frank made an excellent decision in the way he chose to realease Laurens testimony. Q And she just left like one day. Q Now, you just said when you found out that you did things that were criminal, did you intend to do things that were criminal as you did them? Alas, Salzman still awaits her sentence a year later . Lauren Salzman, who pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of racketeering and racketeering conspiracy in March, told jurors that for many years Keith Raniere, 58, was the most important. Send us a tip using our anonymous form. Parlato appeared on the Nancy Grace Show, Beyond the Headlines with Gretchen Carlson, Dr. Oz, American Greed, Dateline NBC, and NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, where Parlato conducted the first-ever interview with Keith Raniere after his arrest. Its better than any book. 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Appeals court upholds sentences for NXIVM sex cult leaders, Nxivm sex cult leader Keith Raniere claims prison transfer puts his life at risk, Nxivm leader Keith Raniere claims feds conspiring against him with hermaphrodite cellmate, Nxivm leader complains fellow sex trafficker left him dizzy after prison beatdown, keeping a woman named Daniela captive in a room, was slapped with six years and nine months behind bars. Sustained. Lauren Salzman's attorneys argued for no jail time given her cooperation and testimony during Keith Raniere's trial in 2019. On Friday, Lauren Salzman, 42, took the stand in the trial against Keith Alan Raniere. Given that its almost impossible to imagine how continuing the questioning would have made any difference, I think theres almost no chance this matters on appeal. She doesnt want a child with KAR, who cant even keep it up enough to even shoot blanks LOL. I misheard the answer. THE COURT: So you can sit down. A I didnt know specifically it was a racketeering violation, but I knew things were illegal that I was doing and I did them anyway. The trial transcripts offer by far the most gripping (and soul-crushing) account for sure. This is especially true where, as here, there was not a pending question (here, the witness was allowed to answer the last question). To think I was right at your side and sacrificed for you. I mean, one of my concerns though is that Keith was not being honest with me about what was going on, and he was mischaracterizing things and making promises to me that were influencing my life decisions when I could have gone in other ways and was expressing that I wanted to. Others were threatened with the release of their collateral - nude photos and other embarrassing material that female members turned over to their "masters" to ensure obedience and silence - if they didn't have unwanted sex with him. Everyone rose. During her testimony at Raniere's trial, she. Lauren Salzman, daughter of the group . She described how the sick Svengali, with whom she had a 17-year relationship, was in the process of building a sex dungeon full of cages and BDSM equipment when he was arrested in 2018. Salzman, a former member of NXIVM leader Keith Raniere's Read More FILE - This Oct. 4, 2018 photo shows Lauren Salzman as she leaves Brooklyn Federal Court in New York. It never even crossed my mind that I would choose Keith and Keith would choose Keith, Salzman said. The proof is in the pudding. A I just listened to these recordings the day before yesterday for the first time. its official. They were also told to seduce Raniere, a task that Salzman referred to as the Assignment. Salzman claimed not to have known about the Assignment until Mack mentioned that slaves she had recruited were having sex with Raniere. At that time, sheadmitted keeping a slave locked in a room for more than two years. Padilla had also planned to purchase a cage, though she canceled the order shortly after the inner workings of DOS were made public in the spring of 2017. Master, please brand me, it would be an honor, an honor I want to wear for the rest of my life," Lauren Salzman testifed she told Keith Raniere at a branding ceremony. Salzman, who was in NXIVM's Executive Success Programs (ESP) for nearly two decades, testified that she had been with Raniere in a $10,000-a-week resort when authorities in Mexico arrested the. THE COURT: You can take your appeal if you should not be successful. But prosecutors asked Garaufis to go easy on her, citing her extraordinary cooperation and testimony at Ranieres 2019 trial. Related We were taking naked pictures up-close vagina pictures three times a week. Its clear she wasnt totally deprogrammed yet. But most of my first-line DOS masters were telling me things that were gravely concerning to me that they were doing. I suspect flipping Allison Mack was crucial to making the trial a waste of everyones time. Salzman and other DOS masters, including Garza, Smallville actress Allison Mack, and Battlestar Galactica actress Nicki Clyne, had flown to Mexico to visit Raniere. Along with Raniere, Bronfman, Mack, and Salzman's daughter Lauren, the co-founder was arrested for an array of crimes in 2018. She rose up and is actually practicing what she preached. The judge were in stopping this and because of this the appeal will be successful and Keith will be free. The relationships I learned about when I joined but it wasnt confusing to me that there had been time spent developing those things. It was not interrupted and wasnt getting anywhere with Lauren. Salzman, a former . The links no longer appear to work. When I tried to cut off the line of questioning, you just went right back to the line of questioning. A I took collateral from people who were afraid to not give it to me, because I already had their collateral, and they were calling it extortion at the time and I even discussed it with Keith and he was, like, its not extortion, they agreed to it. And before Im a judge, Im a human being. Salzmans crying and sobbing is because she was realizing how bad she f*cked up and will now pay for it while being questioned, although the judge may instead invite her to lunch. C-SPAN's operating revenues come from license fees paid by cable systems and satellite companies that offer the network to their. The organization is commonly called a "cult," and has been termed a "racketeering enterprise" by the U.S. government. That makes their state of mind at the time meaningless, as long as they woke up later. Seagrams liquor heiress Clare Bronfman was slapped with six years and nine months behind bars last year, more than prosecutors had asked for, after she pleaded guilty to conspiracy to conceal and harbor an illegal alien for financial gain and fraudulent use of identification. Q So you heard conversations well, can I ask you a question, do you love Keith? So thats like just one example. Yet she tried to remain calm. I'm very PACER illiterate, I wish I could help you otherwise! You had plenty of if you had other things to say, you could have gone on and said them. Meanwhile, Mack pleaded guilty last month to charges she manipulated women into becoming sex slaves for the group's spiritual leader. The emotional sentencing capped a lengthy legal case that saw Salzman, who now works as a dog groomer, turn on longtime ally Keith Raniere and help put the twisted cult leader behind bars. In it, she apologized for having disrespected him and for damaging her own reputation as a group leader, as well as that of their theoretical child, someone who doesnt even exist yet. But Raniere was unmoved, dealing her a final blow, Salzman testified, when he revealed that he would be fathering a child with another longtime girlfriend. If our legs werent spread enough, wed have to spread our legs more, Salzman said, adding that the group members were aware that his preferences skewed toward up-close vaginal pictures., Many DOS slaves were told to participate in various forms of self-denial, such as refraining from masturbation and limiting themselves to 1,500-calorie diets. She seemed still a bit in love with Raniere, even if it had intellectually sunk in that he was a monster. Q And you didnt want to have to go through this criminal trial with him; is that fair to say? Frank Parlato is an investigative journalist. Thats what I did when I was in DOS. HOWEVER, it costs: you need to get a PACER account and pay the per page or document cost for each document you download (transcript or otherwise). {"vloc":"auto","floating":true,"playlist":"https:\/\/content.jwplatform.com\/feeds\/c132tQIF.json","ph":2} He called in and wanted to make sure we were flicking the wrist hard enough, Salzman said. I think the full transcripts are meant to drop on January 21st. Q I think you said on direct examination that you thought Keith changed when Pam passed away? Lauren is a rat. Trial testimony showed surveillance cameras were set up outside the room and the woman wrote letters almost daily asking for forgiveness. She should be very proud of herself that she took the stand, answered questions bravely and articulately. Do you think you can do some articles about how they got involved, why they were allowed into Keiths inner circle, and what crimes they committed or may have committed. A Because I think Keith had a whole bunch of people [DOS first line women] to meet his objectives and serving him in a way that Pam facilitated before. When Salzman confronted Raniere about it, he denied sleeping with the women. The man Salzman had previously described as her most important person her mentor, spiritual advisor, and lover; the man whose initials she had chosen to brand into the flesh above her abdomen; the man who had taught her the values of love, sacrifice, personal responsibility and courage had, when confronted with arrest, run away and hidden in a walk-in closet. Nxivm leader Keith Ranieres former sex den has been condemned., https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/nxivm-leader-keith-ranieres-former-sex-den-has-been-condemned/. "I believed Keith Raniere's intentions were to help people, and I was wrong," Mack told a judge while pleading guilty to racketeering charges. I set up an account on PACER and gave them my credit card info (yikes). At one point, Raniere asked Danis mother, Adriana, to stay confined to a room adjacent to Danis, as a way to make it clear to Daniela that her actions were affecting other people close to her, Salzman testified. Our legal system gaurantees the right to a trial by jury, but when there is a recording of your confession, why bother? pmc_jwplayer('jwplayer_c132tQIF_yTTJs9q5_div','yTTJs9q5').setup( Salzman is the third of Ranieres five co-defendants to be sentenced in the case. [] he halted her cross-examination at the Raniere trial because she was sobbing on the stand. God, do l ever loathe Keith. A I did not do that. What Mr. Agnifilo needed to do to preserve his record for appeal was to say, Judge, if I were permitted to continue, I would have asked the witness X, Y, and Z. He did not do so either when he was cut off, or later that same day outside the presence of the jury. Q One of the ways you know that Keith was lying to you is because you listened to these recordings; right? Salzman and other DOS masters, including Garza. Youre back! Lauren Salzman had twenty-two slaves when she was exposed & arrested, according to the New York Times. Unfortunately for Raniere, however, the ceremony never happened, as authorities arrived at Ranieres home on March 25 to arrest him on sex trafficking and racketeering charges. I created enough damage to thwart our plans together for the rest of our lives, Salzman read from the document in court on Friday. 20% and our Get an all-access pass to never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more! This book would not exist, and my integration would not have been as thorough, without Steve's research efforts. Hes been convicted. ( Lauren Salzman is accused of "coaching" and controlling Daniela during her imprisonment.) Following Ranieres arrest in Mexico, Salzman said, she started to come to terms with the true extent of Ranieres thrall over her; at times, she appeared to be processing it even while she was on the stand. that Lauren Salzman was held down as another Raniere devotee used a cauterizing pen to etch the initials of Raniere into an area near her pelvis, according to her testimony . Lauren also admitted to threatening the woman with deportation if she continued to disobey Keith's orders. Reading the direct transcripts is blowing my mind. She did so in March 2019, admitting to one count of racketeering. She has said that she deeply regrets introducing her daughter to Nxivm and Raniere. On Monday, Salzman provided more sensational details about the alleged inner workings of the group. Included in that group of eight was TVs Smallville actress Allison Mack and her now-wife, Nicki Clyne, according to Salzmans testimony. She said she recruited six women, whom she called her slaves, and who were inducted into the group. Lauren is growing more upset. Reading and re-reading the transcript without intonation of voice brings me to one conclusion, there will not be a retrial/mistrial conclusion based on the Judge. Watching Raniere skulk out of a walk-in closet as guns were pointed at her head, however, put all of his teachings, all of his promises, and all of their shared dreams together into perspective. And she was becoming disillusioned because she was watching him lie and telling her to lie and it was totally not ethical.