But also he did not reckon with the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded, nor with dwarvish hearts. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!" The reason Gandalf wanted to add Bilbo to the party is because Thorin doesn't like Hobbits. But it was fun to consider. Being from the Baggins side is where he got his boring personality but also being from the took side he decides to be adventurousrarely choosing to take dangerous risks in which he could lose his life. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. A cloudless day, but cold, was broad above him. ", "Farewell! In this book, Bilbo Baggins goes on a journey that would change his life forever. He rubbed his eyes. he said; "and farewell, Dwalin; and farewell Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur! While on his way, messengers sent from the ruined Esgaroth, the town of Men which was burned by the dragon, reached him, begging for help for Validate reading with our Dynamic Quiz System. So began a battle that none had expected; and it was called the Battle of the Five Armies, and it was very terrible. Bows twanged and arrows whistled; battle was about to be joined. their wounded and starving people. The Theft Act 1968: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/data.pdf. At any rate I am not yet one of the fallen heroes; but I suppose there is still enough time for that (Tolkien, The Hobbit, 310)! (15.41-42). The events of the Third Age, when Thranduil was the ruling king of his people, reveal a strong charismatic, wise leader, who despite his own fears and worries, was able to guide his people, survive hard trials, and emerge in one piece at the end of the age, providing his people with a renewed realm at peace with its neighbors. And I don't know what I should have done with it when I got home. I have drunk much of your wine and eaten much of your bread. And Fili and Kili! The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. he exclaimed. Thranduil accepted the gift, but before they parted he added humorously: "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the king gravely. Descriptions: The Hobbit : "Not at Home". Yet even though you were willing to lay aside all your claim, I should wish that the words of Thorin, of which he repented, should not prove true: that we should give you little. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. Twice Bilbo and Thranduil have meaningful encounters, each one revealing a new side of the king's personality. I wish Thorin were living, but I am glad that we parted in kindness. (5.119). "Well, er, I thought, don't you know," said Bilbo rather confused, "that, er, some little return should be made for your, er, hospitality. Then Bilbo remembered his ring! He was in fact held by all the hobbits of the neighbourhood to be 'queer'" (301-2). Bilbo risks his own life to save the dwarves many times during the adventure, which in turn gains him the respect he deserves. So they went on until they drew near to the borders of Mirkwood, to the north of the place where the Forest River ran out. The Wood Elves did not work the land, mined or worked metals or jewels, nor did they trade.7 It seems that they didn't have any income source, so it is safe to assume that all their needs were purchased with the king's treasure, namely the realm treasury. All the same I feel sick and my legs are like straws.". I suppose I shall be going home soon?". "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent," said the king gravely."And I name you elf-friend and blessed. The trolls are perceived as the guardians of the threshold, but they serve a bigger purpose. It turned out that the Council of Elrond was being held in Imladris at the same time, and Legolas was chosen to be one of the Fellowship of the Ring.20. Tolkiens writings do not recount the fate of Thranduil. In The Hobbit there are several descriptive passages for these horrors: giant talking spiders, who hung the mummified dwarves by their cobweb and with whom Bilbo had to use Sting to fight; orcs who later, near the end of the Ring War, set the woods on fire and invaded the woodland realm; and scary fauna such as the black squirrels, large bats, and black butterflies that Bilbo saw. Misery me! Validate reading with our Dynamic Quiz System. He had many hardships and adventures before he got back. I have heard songs of many battles, and I have always understood that defeat may be glorious. Conclusively, Dawn take you all, and be stone to you! said a voice that sounded like Williams. How do the dwarves and Gandalf decide that burglary is what Bilbo would be good at? "I am Bard, and by my hand was the dragon slain and your treasure delivered. He is willing to let the Arkenstone go to Bard so that Bard can negotiate for "all of [Bilbo's] claim" on Thorin's treasure. The "Tale of the Years" in The Lord of the Rings tells us of a desperate battle under the trees, in which the forces of Dol Guldur invaded Thranduil's realm. Of course he didnt. A terrible business, and it nearly was disastrous. Welcome to r/tolkienfans! Well-preserved indeed! he snorted. The Battle under the Trees was hard and long, and much of the forest was ruined, but in the end, Thranduil prevailed. Sorrow seemed to be in the air. I havent had a close look at whether A giving B the property of C as a bargaining chip to be used against C (with the potential prospect that it will be returned) falls under the intention permanently to deprive, but given the wording of s. 6(1),(2) Theft Act 1968, I assume that Bilbo would be guilty of theft. This new respect that Bilbo has acquires gives him plenty of confidence in himself to get the job done, whatever it may be. Bilbo learns that there is more to him than he realizes and through hard work and dedication, he can accomplish almost anything. He imprisoned Gollum and showed him kindness as Gandalf asked. Asked by cody f #263209 on 9/3/2012 5:07 PM Last updated by jill d #170087 on 9/3/2012 5:32 PM Answers 1 Add Yours. We have discussed that the dwarves seem to operate in a moral grey area that the elves do not seem to share would Tolkien's elves be capable of this kind of treachery? View bestsellers, featured, top rated, classics, hidden gems, and new releases. Go sideways? I didnt intend to open that can of worms! One of the best book quotes from Thranduil the Elvenking. Each fear he faces develops Bilbo as a hero, getting him ready for his greatest quest, stealing the treasure from Smaug.. Another example of Bilbo putting others before himself is the treasure he willing to give in order to bring peace to the men, elves, and dwarves. "Some are in the hunt," said the wizard, "but most have gone back to their eyries. 'More like a grocer than a burglar' indeed! The History of The Hobbit shows that for a long time Tolkien did intend the Arkenstone to be a Silmaril and only changed it relatively late in the editing process and only just barely enough to differentiate the two. I would reward you most richly of all. Near the end of what was believed to be failing negotiations, Bard tried to persuade Thranduil to attack before the he said to himself. Farewell! Indeed it was long before he had the heart to make a joke again. Would love to hear what people think, anything about favorite passages or what parts resonate most deeply. A sudden understanding, a pity mixed with horror, welled up in Bilbo's heart: a glimpse of endless unmarked days without light or hope of betterment, hard stone, cold fish, sneaking and whispering. When Bilbo regains consciousness, he is alone. However, based on Thranduil's description from The Hobbit, he may have had Vanyarin ancestors among his family roots. Thranduil accepted the gift, but before they parted he added humorously: Thranduil proved to be a team player. Gandalf and Bilbo rode behind the Elvenking, and beside them strode Beorn, once again in man's shape, and he laughed and sang in a loud voice upon the road. He fights in many battles, verbal and physical, to fight for the greater good. I dont want any adventures, thank you(Tolkien 4) and ultimately shows his cowardness. This argument kind of rests on the assumption that the treasure of Erebor belongs to Thorin, not Smaug, which Smaug obviously disagrees with. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. As Bilbo grew Older, his father, Bunbo, constructed the family a house in Hobbiton. Thus, the morality of Tolkien's novels seems difficult to apply in the real world. He was willing to accept the responsibility for Gollum, the odd creature that was brought to him, under Gandalf's advise. [Bilbo] must stab the foul thing, put its eyes out, kill it. said the king. He encounters goblins, creatures, trolls, wargs, spiders, and greed, but not without his friends and his new magic ring. But all was deadly still. It was Gandalf and a dwarf; and the dwarf was actually Balin" (302). That marks a hidden passage to the Lower Halls (19). In fact I will go so far as to send you on this adventure (6). Well, er, I thought, dont you know, said Bilbo rather confused, that, er, some little return should be made for your, er, hospitality. "I will carry you down to the camp in the valley," said the man, and picked him lightly up. When Gandalf saw Bilbo, he was delighted. He risks his life on more than one occasion to save his friends and bring peace between the different races. The elf-host was on the march;. Of course this argument is a bit tongue-in-cheek - there are no courts that could impartially decide over a dispute between the Dwarves or Erebor and the Men of Dale. said the king gravely. Farewell!". The first was when Thranduil and Bard laid siege on the Dwarves fortified under the mountain. I mean, I should have liked to see them again," said Bilbo sleepily; "perhaps I shall see them on the way home. He initially helped the dwarves by using his mystical ring to help fight the giant spiders: One of the main characters in The Hobbit is Bilbo Baggins .He has the opportunity to win a share of the dragon's treasure .The story is told as a journey,a quest where Bilbo will grow characteristics of heroism .Bilbo at the beginning is not showing any heroic characteristics and he learned to be a hero from trial and error so at the end is when he finally becomes aware of his skills and learning . In Imladris, Elrond held Vilya, the Ring of Air. "Victory after all, I suppose!" May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! No good at all! In Lrien, three attacks were repelled, after which Dol Guldur was taken and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits. West Coast Gifts Bilbo Bongins Mug Pipe. So they too had gathered in great numbers, under the great Eagle of the Misty Mountains; and at length smelling battle from afar they had come speeding down the gale in the nick of time. "In what way have I earned such a gift, O hobbit?" Over rock and under tree, Throughout his long adventurous journey he adapts to a new way of life and his inner Tookishness comes out. Then Bilbo fled [with the cup]. So, when Thorin Oakenshield and the Dwarves of his company were captured during one of the Elves' feasts, they were not welcomed. (17.44). His ominous description of Mirkwood Forest explains the hesitation in the company to pass onto the realm where The entrance to the path was like a sort of arch leading into a gloomy tunnel(153). Though you can be forgiven for thinking it is a Silmaril. He picks the trolls pocket, he takes Gollum's ring (though originally Gollum freely gave it to him), he steals food from the Elvenking's halls, and he appropriates for himself (though with noble intent, I'm pretty sure there is a saying about hell and good intentions) the Arkenstone. "Well, er, I thought, don't you know," said Bilbo rather confused, "that, er, some little return should be made for your, er, hospitality. The man was swift and sure-footed. "As all things come to an end, even this story, a day came at last when they were in sight of the country where Bilbo had been born and bred" (299-300). He was lying on the flat stones of Ravenhill, and no one was near. Id classify him as much as a spy as a thief. Bilbo encounters many tests and trials throughout the story which reveal character. He was hired on specifically to be a thief. Explain please. I beg of you, said Bilbo stammering and standing on one foot, to accept this gift! and he brought out a necklace of silver and pearls that Dain had given him at their parting. And turning towards the Mountain he added: "Farewell Thorin Oakenshield! It was not long before Bilbo was set down before a tent in Dale; and there stood Gandalf, with his arm in a sling. However, any indictment would fall apart on the elements of with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it and dishonesty. Just make sure . At the same time, in other parts of Middle-earth, Frodo was struggling to reach Mount Doom, Minas Tirith was fighting for its survival against Saurons forces. As the book begins, Bilbo is put to the task of reclaiming a place known as the Lonely Mountain by a wizard named Gandalf, after such request Bilbo states Sorry! He did not, of course, expect that any one would remember that it was he who discovered all by himself the dragon's weak spot; and that was just as well, for no one ever did. It is likely that the darkness which ruined parts of the forest, hurt not only the trees but also the water, resulting in scarcer game fewer resources for the Elves to live upon. When Bilbo came to himself, he was literally by himself. This also excludes dishonesty: if dishonesty is already excluded if [the person] appropriates the property in the belief that he would have the other's consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it (s. 2(1)(b) TA 1968), then this must also apply if the legal owner of the property actually told the supposed thief to take it. ", "No!" Tea is at four; but any of you are welcome at any time!, Roads go ever ever on, i will take your gift to bilbo the magnificentdaily news subscription phone number. Then, somewhere in the pitch-dark night, Bilbo strikes dead a most nefarious enemy. However, some overall picture of his character can be deduced from what is said about him directly and in scenes related to him, indirectly. He was lying on the flat stones of Ravenhill, and no one was near. Nevertheless, throughout the Second Age, there was constant conection between the elves from Greenwood and Lrien. You took mine about the bravest thing that Bilbo ever did, so I'm going to share another: "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the king gravely. Dwarves seemed to be busy removing the wall. Dain, Thorin's cousin, is actually willing to ambush the elf and human armies just so he can get to his cousin in the Lonely Mountain. "And I name you elf-friend and . In this case I'd go with s. 2(1) TA 1968 and argue that as long as he believed that he's taking something belonging to the Dwarves, it's not dishonest. Because he lives a hero, one will not fail to recognize him. In what way have I earned such a gift, O hobbit? said the king. Bilbo pities Gollum and so, even though Gollum "meant to kill [Bilbo]," he can't just stab Gollum without warning in the dark. But please come to tea any time you like! What sense do we get of Smaug's motivations in The Hobbit? Are you much hurt? Faced with indescribable darkness, the Elves and their king retreated until at last a new palace was delved in the ground, after the example of Menegroth (the Thousands Caves), the seat of the king in ancient Doriath. Obviously, that line in the first chapter that Bilbo looks "More like a grocer than a burglar" really smarts. It was not long before they had freed the Lonely Mountain, and elves and men on either side of the valley could come at last to the help of the battle below. Alive after all I am glad! He is used to his routinely everyday life. I have drunk much of your wine and eaten much of your bread." "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the king gravely. "Well I never! He is the hero of the pack. ", "A nasty knock on the head, I think," said Bilbo. Gollum had not actually threatened to kill him, or tried to yet. I have been sent to look here for the last time. But the old man did not move., All the same, I should like it all plain and clear, said [Bilbo] obstinately, putting on his business manner (usually reserved for people who tried to borrow money off him), and doing his best to appear wise and prudent and professional and live up to Gandalfs recommendation. "I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. The Hobbit is my favorite book. he called with a shaky voice. It seems very uncomfortable, not to say distressing. If Thorin plans to keep his treasure anyway, why does he make a show of listening to Bard at all? Going on an adventure can be really hard, but only Bilbo Baggins knows how hard it really can be. Surely there was a camp still in the plain some distance off; and there was a coming and going about the Gate? No doubt this could not have been easy for Thranduil. The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers. You could tell what a Baggins would say on any questions without the bother of asking him (2). The most dreadful of all Bilbo's experiences" (281). When Frodo unbuttoned his shirt the ring was there on a chain wrapped around his neck. "Well, it seems a very gloomy business.". Then they halted, for the wizard and Bilbo would not enter the wood, even though the king bade them stay a while in his halls. You would have been numbered among the dead, who are many, if Gandalf the wizard had not said that your voice was last heard in this place. While an owner can steal their own property if a third party has any lesser proprietary right or a right to possession or control, if this is not the case, an owner cannot steal their own property (Simester and Sullivans, p. 501; see also p. 503). (The concept of adverse possession wouldnt work in a place without courts anyway: the concept of limitation periods only works if theres a court where you can file your lawsuit to have your property returned to you.). Correction: Bilbo seizes the Arkenstone and not a Silmaril. "Farewell, King under the Mountain!" Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength. For Mr. Bilbo Baggins visited various notable persons; conversed with the dragon, Smaug the Magnificent; and was present, rather unwillingly, at the Battle of the Five Armies. On its highest peak snow yet unmelted was gleaming pale. "A mercy it is," he said at last to himself, "that I woke up when I did. AP Simester, JR Spencer, GR Sullivan and GJ Virgo in Simester and Sullivans Criminal Law, Theory and Doctrine, Hart Publishing, Fifth Edition 2013 [cited as: Simester and Sullivans]. After the battle, on the Elven new year, Thranduil and Celeborn met, renamed the forest, and divided it between themselves and the woodsmen. Who were those Elves who welcomed the emigrants? It must be nice having such an easily defined, obviously wicked enemy to fight against. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. And I name you elf-friend and blessed" (293). Even if his friends are fighting on the right side, that's not much comfort when he begins to think of the cost in lives. I think there is a hole in the argument (that Bilbo is not taking dishonestly as he has permission) as the cup may well have been part of the Dale-Hoard rather than the Erebor one. said the king. (17.62). Sign in|Recent Site Activity|Report Abuse|Print Page|Powered By Google Sites, Unit 1: Writing Process & The Pact (Weeks 20-23), Unit 3: A Tale of Two Cities (Weeks 8-14). Throughout this journey, Bilbo changes for the best. He had passed from an uneasy dream (in which a warrior, altogether insignificant in size but provided with a bitter sword and great courage, figured most unpleasantly) to a doze, and from a doze to wide waking. He offered Bard the Arkenstone, a great jewel prized by Thorin, as leverage. Along the way, they overcome many obstacles that threaten their lives and put their trust for one another to the test. Quotes are in italics; highlights in quotes (bold) are mine. What are your favorite parts from The Hobbit? and he brought out a necklace of silver and pearls that Dain had given him at their parting. The Eagles are coming!, I came from the end of bag, but no bag went over me. The Elves in the forest had about 400 years of a watchful peace, which ended in 2460, when Sauron returned with increased force. Praise has been blessed to Bilbo by a king in this division. This grudge is not much different from what is mentioned in regard to another Elf of the Sindar, about whom it was specifically said: That memory may have been a partial reason for Thranduil's treatment of Thorins company, even though these Dwarves were not related to the ones from Doriath. That home was the great forest Greenwood the Great. The knowledge that the Arkenstone was in the hands of the besiegers burned in their thoughts; also they guessed the hesitation of Bard and his friends, and resolved to strike while they debated. From Smaug's point of view he most definitely is a thief but Smaug himself came into possession of Erebor through theft, so his position is irrelevant. During the Third Age, Thranduil is the only one who carries the title king among the Elves. Bilbo left with regret, for the flowers of the gardens of Beorn were m springtime no less marvellous than in high summer. To illustrate, Bilbo says "As soon as I saw your funny faces on the door-step, I had my doubts" (Tolkien 19). Is not that a matter of which we may speak? "Farewell, good thief," he said. Every book has its hero, mentor, and guardian, but not just every book has Bilbo Baggins as their hero or The Great Gandalf as its mentor. "I beg of you," said Bilbo stammering and standing on one foot, "to accept this gift!" Other heroes in the story include such men like Gandalf, Beorn, The Lord of the Eagles, Bard, and even Thorin in the, The heros Journey begins with a call to an ordinary individual to leave the ordinary world.This calls prompts the individual to leave the common life to venture into the realm of the unknown.The journey continues with the individual leaving the ordinary world to descend into the special world.The decent into the special world brings the individual through different adventures and experiences that reveal weakness and allow for strength and development to conquer those weaknesses.Bilbo baggins journey represents the heros Journeyas he leaves the ordinary world as an ordinary hobbit,enters the special world as a developing warrior,and returns as an unexpected hero.He revealed his hobbit character and thinking most visibly by fainting,for. Personal Note: I'd like to offer a "happy ending" to this character that I admire. "I wish now only to be in my own arm-chair!" There indeed lay Thorin Oakenshield, wounded with many wounds, and his rent armour and notched axe were cast upon the floor. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. Hobbits never went on adventures, it was not done. The oftener you appear in my halls the better shall I be pleased!". Anyway I am going back now, and the dwarves can do what they like to me. Upon his tomb the Elvenking then laid Orcrist, the elvish sword that had been taken from Thorin in captivity. As known before, the threshold guardians lasts as a particular one of the first test providers, as well as the guardian of the special world. Mischievous trolls were one of the first tasks met by Baggins causing him to become nervous and timid. I beg of you, said Bilbo stammering and standing on one foot, to accept this gift! and he brought out a necklace of silver and pearls that Dain had given him at their parting. The goblins of the Misty Mountains were now few and terrified, and hidden in the deepest holes they could find; and the Wargs had vanished from the woods, so that men went abroad without fear. He steals several other things along the way though. But the dragon did not wake not yet but shifted into other dreams of greed and violence, lying there in his stolen hall while the little hobbit toiled back up the long tunnel. Given that this quest doesn't seem to be about good vs. evil exactly, why do you think Gandalf has chosen to get involved? In that last hour Beorn himself had appeared no one knew how or from where. Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. All that had happened after he was stunned, Bilbo learned later; but it gave him more sorrow than joy, and he was now weary of his adventure. good attitude. There now Dain son of Nain took up his abode, and he became King under the Mountain, and in time many other dwarves gathered to his throne in the ancient halls. "It's me, Bilbo Baggins, companion of Thorin!" When Bilbo came to himself, he was literally by himself. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. The book The Hobbit, written by J. R. R. Tolkein, has many universal themes connected to finding out who someone really is. A thief but an honest thief, he remains. And eventually the keys (which he returned). The others remained with Dain; for Dain dealt his treasure well. Suddenly without a signal [the dwarves] sprang silently forward to attack. I have drunk much of your wine and eaten much of your bread. I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent, said the king gravely. Property belonging to another is defined as such: Property shall be regarded as belonging to any person having possession or control of it, or having in it any proprietary right or interest (not being an equitable interest arising only from an agreement to transfer or grant an interest). He felt a different person, and much fiercer and bolder in spite of an empty stomach(170). The Silmarillion tells us about the origin of the ancient grudge against the Dwarves. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. When the War of the Ring ended, and with it the Third Age, the Rings lost their power when the One Ring was destroyed. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien, HarperCollins 2012 (softcover film tie-in edition) [cited as: The Hobbit]. The tremendous things that happened afterwards were as nothing compared to it. "It will not be long now," thought Bilbo, "before the goblins win the Gate, and we are all slaughtered or driven down and captured. And may your shadow never grow less (or stealing will be too easy)." It just fit so perfectly with Lee Pace's portrayal of Thranduil. Really it is enough to make one weep, after all one has gone through. After the war was over Legolas returned to his homeland and, with his fathers approval, took some of their people to south Gondor, where they restored the forest of Ithilien to its former beauty, and health.