After hearing about the sad state of affairs in Judah, Nehemiah acquired the kings permission to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the city and its fortifications. Verse 25 states the following: Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem unto the Messiah.. Rhema I have received from what Nehemiah did: he had a burden for his people; he went out and did want God wanted him to do; God did not give him a timeframe to do it in; and Nehemiah obeyed. These are just chronological events which take place after the first 7 sevens. Thats too big a price to pay, and unnecessary. If the Bible chronology is followed exactly as written, the reigns of the Hebrew kings synchronize perfectly with one another, without having to disregard Scripture and without having to accept long co-reigns not supported in the biblical text, and those reigns synchronize perfectly with the traditional chronology of Egypt as proposed by Ken Kitchen. (Site from http://www.biblicalarchaelogy.org) []. Thanks for the article. Nehemiahs leadership style is not the most common. But afterwards, in applying the prophecy to Theudas, and Judas of Galilee, and at length to Bar Cochab, they seem to have shortened the reign of the Kingdom of Persia. (Chron. There is only ONE expert.the God of the Bible. 14 So the angel that communed with me said unto me, Cry thou, saying, Thus saith YHWH of hosts; I am jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with a great jealousy. The wall was completed in 52 days, on the twenty-fifth day of the month Elul. Next to them Zadok son of Baana made repairs. In such a scenario, the seven weeks then become forty-nine years, and the sixty-two weeks become 434 years. The new chronology I have introduced in my book Sacred Chronology of the Hebrew Kings (available for reading free on my website) shows how the chronologies of the Bible, Egypt, and Assyria are in perfect agreement when the correct chronology for the kings is used. YHWH was telling the people to shuwb or return and build His house that they were neglecting. A race of slaves emerge from slavery to become a nation. Back to Nehemiah and packages. May God bless your search. I wonder if we know or have a way of knowing if he was married at the time of the story or if he had been married at all at any time? So this is how it works Foto Marburg has plenty of Abrahams, Davids, Jesuses (Jesi?) Nehemiah rebuilt Jerusalem's wall in only 52 days. According to a story, Nehemiah, a high official in the Persian court of King Artaxerxes I at the capital city of Susa, was very troubled that there was no wall to protect his beloved city of Jerusalem, its walls and gates. The walls were built between 1535 and 1538, when Jerusalem was part of the Ottoman Empire, by the order of Suleiman I. This wall is said to have been 4.5 miles long, 24 ft at the base and just over 26 ft. tall. The governors of surrounding territories viciously oppose Nehemiah's efforts, but the wall is finished in just 52 days ( Neh 7:15 ). He also urged them to set up guards to defend against the constant threat of those who opposed their efforts, including the armies of Samaria, the Ammonites and the Ashdodites. 1The words of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah. Nehemiah returned to Jerusalem and rebuilt the wallsin 52 days. Nehemiah settled the people in the city and its suburbs. This evidence of God's blessing encourages the Jews and is a terrific blow to the self-confidence of their enemies. Photo: Foto Marburg/Art Resource, NY. Read Did I Find King Davids Palace? by Eilat Mazar as it appeared in the September/October 2012 issue of BAR for free in Bible History Daily. 5In the same way Sanballat for the fifth time sent his servant to me with an open letter in his hand. By hand. Dig into the illuminating world of the Bible with a BAS All-Access membership. 16Indeed, I devoted myself to the work on this wall, and acquired no land; and all my servants were gathered there for the work. Before the seven Pentecosts begin, the tower gate with its broad place and the wall with its trench in front that were destroyed by Pompey in 63 BCE will have been rebuilt (from my book Lifting the Veil on the Book of Daniel, page 92, or see full discussion at http://www.prophecysociety.org/books/LV2012/LV-091.html ). 3. 1In the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was served to him, I carried the wine and gave it to the king. The wall completed: 6:15-19. etc., but apparently no available stock photo of a work from the Middle Ages whose artist actually recorded that his intention was to depict Nehemiah. As noted earlier a variation on this tradition has been carried on by Christians today in their association of Artaxerxes with the Persian Longimanus. Our Sunday sermons at church have focused on Nehemiah heeding Gods calling to re-build his beloved home. 8 years of Archaeology Odyssey online, exploring the ancient roots of the Western world in a scholarly and entertaining way, The New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land. Notice then what YHWH says in verse 16: I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies: my house shall built in it, saith YHWH of hosts, and a line shall be stretched forth upon Jerusalem.. as the provincial governor of Judah/Yehud. Sometime during the next 16 years (between 1st year of Cyrus & 2nd year of Darius Hystaspes) construction of the 2nd temple stopped. The waw would have been more accurately translated as a hendiadys where the 2nd word specifies the first. Then after the 62 7- sevens the Messiah is cut off. Even in the the 7th year of Daryavesh I he could be no younger than 70. [Nehemiah 5:14 - Governor for 12 years before returning to the palace.] 18After him their kin made repairs: Binnui, son of Henadad, ruler of half the district of Keilah; 19next to him Ezer son of Jeshua, ruler of Mizpah, repaired another section opposite the ascent to the armoury at the Angle. Notice the common names are in the same order in both lists. Since Ezra and Nehemyah were together in Yerushalayim at some point (Ezra 8:9) it is unlikely to have been a different Artakhashast in each story. Brenton Septuagint Translation Thus, if our anonymous artist had any intention, it would have been much more likely that this statue is his rendition of Lazarus rather than Nehemiah! 2So the king said to me, Why is your face sad, since you are not sick? The prince to come is key to understanding these verses. They will be captured by many false competing Churches and charlatan Prophets around us. Here is how I understand it. Dorothy Resig Willette is the former Managing Editor of Biblical Archaeology Review. It happened at a time when the captivity of the Jews had already come to an end. Should you not walk in the fear of our God, to prevent the taunts of the nations our enemies? FREE ebook: Israel: An Archaeological Journey. Again I ask you to consider. Yodie. As governor, Nehemiah says that he didnt take advantage of food and land allotments that were allowed him due to his office, because there was already such a great burden on the people of his province (Nehemiah 5:1419). seventh] of one year, since work was not to be done on a sabbath. My biggest problem with the article is your third supposition, quoted below: The third key to interpretation of the prophecy is to understand the time period meant by the Hebrew word weeks (BHS, Strongs OT: 7620) in verse 25. The Book of Nehemiah is usually read together with the Book of Ezra as one long book. You see, God is NOT against building walls! 15And Shallum son of Col-hozeh, ruler of the district of Mizpah, repaired the Fountain Gate; he rebuilt it and covered it and set up its doors, its bolts, and its bars; and he built the wall of the Pool of Shelah of the kings garden, as far as the stairs that go down from the City of David. (Neh. Nehemiah returned to Jerusalem in 445 B.C. Nehemiah 3 is even more specific. Ezra 7:13-28. It took Nehemiah 52 days to reinforce the gaps and rebuild the wall. As can be understand now, from the studies in Intelligence, we know this device was a cube shaped set of 5 geometric solids. They told him that the people who had survived being captives were suffering. Empower. May God bless your search for understanding. Nehemiah gathered the people together to rebuild the walls. Just a few years later Cyrus gave his command(at the prompting of YHWH) which allowed the people to return and rebuild the temple. How many days did it take Nehemiah and his leaders to rebuild Jerusalem's walls? In Part 1 prayer was discussed and in this article we have discussed preparation and . It also has nothing to do with feasts of weeks, nor does Daniel say anything at all about seventy weeks.. As athletes engage with Scripture, they . Nehemiah 12 identifies those chief of their fathers who went up with Jeshua and Zerubabbel in the 1st year of Cyrus. Required fields are marked *. 12Then I got up during the night, I and a few men with me; I told no one what my God had put into my heart to do for Jerusalem. Ill stick with what the biblical text states, that the key time-location events are the decree of Caesar in 44 BCE and the building of the broad place and moat in 43 BCE.. The Finklestein chronology, which dismisses the biblical record almost entirely, is also incorrect.Dan Bruce, The Prophecy Society. He enlisted the help of the people to quickly repair the breaches in the wall. The CSB E3 Discipleship Bible is full of intentionally crafted discipleship tools and resources based on the E3 discipleship methodEngage. In my opinion the underlying text does not say anything about restoring Jerusalem to a messiah. The text clearly states it will be 7 sevens from the command unto the Messiah. I looked up the complete article from your website. Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like Ezra and Nehemiah took place during the period of what?, What nation was in power during the events in Ezra and Nehemiah?, This persian king allowed the jews to return and rebuild the temple of Jersualem and more. Once there, Nehemiah defied the opposition of Judah's enemies on all sidesSamaritans, Ammonites, Arabs and Philistinesand rebuilt the walls within 52 days, from the Sheep Gate in the North, the Hananeel Tower at the North West corner, the Fish Gate in the West, the Furnaces Tower at the Temple Mount's South West There was no other mention of him, until after the rebuilding of the city walls. The work was hard and the enemies made it more difficult by mocking and threatening the Jews and Nehemiah. Nehemiah 810 is considered part of the so-called Ezra Source (which includes Ezra 710), while Nehemiah 17 and 1113 are from a separate source that scholars call the Nehemiah Memoir. The Nehemiah Memoir is written in the first person and recounts details of Nehemiahs life, his deeds and his administration of the province, probably meant to serve as an official record of his accomplishments to be deposited in the Temple archives (by genaa). Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your kin, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes., 15When our enemies heard that their plot was known to us, and that God had frustrated it, we all returned to the wall, each to his work. According to Jewish tradition the Artakhshast of Ezra and Nehemyah is the same as Daryavesh I. The book of Nehemiah, named after Nehemiah is the memoir, of building the walls of Jerusalem and of setting up the Jewish community in Jerusalem. So why did chronologist place a gap in chronology between Ezra 6 &7 between Jeshua/Zerubabbel and Ezra/Nehemiah? 1Now when it was reported to Sanballat and Tobiah and to Geshem the Arab and to the rest of our enemies that I had built the wall and that there was no gap left in it (though up to that time I had not set up the doors in the gates), 2Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, Come and let us meet together in one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they intended to do me harm. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.. From the coming forth means the times were set at the finish. 10Next to them Jedaiah son of Harumaph made repairs opposite his house; and next to him Hattush son of Hashabneiah made repairs. It made the city smaller than the original boundaries. Notice the importance YHWH, not man, places on the construction efforts: Zechariah 1:13-16 And YHWH answered the angel that talked with me with good words and comfortable words. Thats too big a price to pay. Will they restore things? Really consider the words below. How long was Nehemiah in Jerusalem? This interpretation fits the 70 weeks in all ways. He then rallied the people and, in the face of constant opposition from opponents, rebuilt the wall in 52 days (Nehemiah 6:15)a feat that put fear into the hearts of his opponents (Nehemiah 6:16). He is being closely watched, so he doesn't do much for his first three days in the city. No one has made it fit the biblical text that way. Nehemiah 4-6. So about 444 bc Nehemiah journeyed to Jerusalem and aroused the people there to the necessity of repopulating the city and rebuilding its walls. 4. One of the powerful messages of Nehemiah is how much you can accomplish when you align yourself with the will and plan of God. The KING is coming soon and HE IS A JEW, YESHUA HAMASHIACH/JESUS THE CHRIST! The 70 weeks are thus seventy Feasts of Weeks and are divided into three divisions: 7 weeks from 42-36 BCE, 62 weeks from 35 BCE-27 CE, and the final week ending in 28 CE at the beginning of Jesus ministry. to quickly repair the breaches in the wall, Ancient Israel: From Abraham to the Destruction of the Temple, http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/80353228.jpg, http://www.prophecysociety.org/books/LV2012/LV-091.html. The burden-bearers carried their loads in such a way that each laboured on the work with one hand and with the other held a weapon. Are you rebelling against the king? 20Then I replied to them, The God of heaven is the one who will give us success, and we his servants are going to start building; but you have no share or claim or historic right in Jerusalem.. (Nehemiah 6:16). and Artaxerxes comes from the waw proceeding Artaxerxes. He wanted them to know what standards he and they would live by. Chapter 13 says Nehemiah 13:6 6 But in all this time was not I at Jerusalem: for in the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon came I unto the king, and after certain days obtained I leave of the king: 7 And I came to Jerusalem, and understood of the evil that Eliashib did for Tobiah, in preparing him a chamber in the courts of the house of God. Now the king had sent officers of the army and cavalry with me. A wall built for Gods Glory Nehemiah depicts the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. The only animal I took was the animal I rode. I really like all of the points youve made. The walls of . As a mentor to others you aspire to be leaders in their community, I have referred to Nehemiahs strategic approach to reforming the hopes and aspirations of a people and nation many times. The traditional Bible chronology based on Thieles harmonization of the Hebrew kings and the Rohl chronology that shortens the chronology of Egypt are incorrect. Symbolically, it mightve made more sense for the building of the wall to take place over the course of 312 days [i.e. 5I said, O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments; 6let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for your servants the people of Israel, confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Nehemiah was cup-bearer to Artaxerxes. Here is a simple equation of the 1st part of that verse: I personally do not think Daniel 9 can be separated from the context of that time. Based on Ezra 6:14 this was none other than Darius son of Hystaspes. There was no other explanation but God. Even their servants lorded it over the people. 27After him the Tekoites repaired another section opposite the great projecting tower as far as the wall of Ophel. Problems of the builders: ridicule; intimidation; loss of energy; shortage of food and money; conflict of interest. Ok here is Nehemiah chapter 1 says, 1The words of Nehemiah son of Hakaliah: In the month of Kislevin the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa. 13I went out by night by the Valley Gate past the Dragons Spring and to the Dung Gate, and I inspected the walls of Jerusalem that had been broken down and its gates that had been destroyed by fire. The end of days never refers to Yom Kippur in the Tanach. (Neh.12:25-26.) 13Hanun and the inhabitants of Zanoah repaired the Valley Gate; they rebuilt it and set up its doors, its bolts, and its bars, and repaired a thousand cubits of the wall, as far as the Dung Gate. Its just out there, bigger than I can [], [] The night following the release of these articles, I just finished reading the story ofNehemiah. Sign up to receive our email newsletter and never miss an update. The 70th week does not start until the Anti Christ appears who make a covenant with many for one heptad (week) a 7 year period. The caption reads Nehemiah/Photo: Foto Marburg/Art Resource, NY. In the eighth chapter of Daniel, the phrase evening-morning(s) was used to indicate Passovers. If you are talking about Daniel 8:14, I do not see anything about Pesach. Upon arrival into the city, he assessed the damage and got to work. 19But when Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official, and Geshem the Arab heard of it, they mocked and ridiculed us, saying, What is this that you are doing? Once the defenses had been rebuilt by Antipater, the seven weeks and sixty-two weeks and one week (totaling seventy weeks) could begin, and that is exactly what happened. This is my understanding. Now he could rebuild his beloved city of Jerusalem, its walls and gates. We his servants will start rebuilding, but as for you, you have no share in Jerusalem or any claim or historic right to it" ( Nehemiah 2:20 ). Each time a new Messianic zealot came along and needed a new basis for claiming a fulfillment of Daniel 9 they would conveniently associate the command given by YHWH in the 2nd year of Darius even Artaxerxes with the 2nd year of a new Artaxerxes thus eclipsing the Persian period by jumping from one to another. David Rohls chronology works only if one disregards major portion of the Hebrew Scriptures. I am returned shuwb, the same word used in Daniel 9:25. 11:18-19; 1Chron. If the Artaxerxes of Nehemiah is Longimanus then this would mean those chiefs of their fathers were at the most conservative estimation, 122 years old. 10One day when I went into the house of Shemaiah son of Delaiah son of Mehetabel, who was confined to his house, he said, Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us close the doors of the temple, for they are coming to kill you; indeed, tonight they are coming to kill you. 11But I said, Should a man like me run away? This is a powerful teaching It takes me back to when I was wrapping up my pursuit towards my diploma And ministered to me was God needed you left out so he Nehemiahed you left out its not that you did something wrong Terrill T.C a.k.a Relic. At the 70 year time, we go into great tribulation, the final 3 and a half years. ALIGN YOURSELF WITH GOD. Read about Nadav Naamans examination of the Biblical and archaeological evidence for King Davids Palace and the Millo in Bible History Daily. As the fingers flipped through the pages of the Book I always run to when in need of comfort, I read the story of Nehemiah the non-cribber, man of action,a go-getter and also the man behind the wall. Since 1954, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has been challenging coaches and athletes to use the powerful medium of athletics to impact the world for Jesus Christ, reaching millions worldwide. This company acts as an image bank/agency they own, or represent photographers (and artists, if recent), with regard to copyright. He is even given letters from the king to ensure safe passage and to obtain timber from the kings forest for the gates and walls of Jerusalem. Why is this important? I have seen some [arguing for Artaxerxes I] say that his genealogy leaves out some generations, but it doesnt really make sense that there should be a gap of 128 years right between his last ancestor in his genealogy and himself/his first dateable appearance. And the Old Testament book of Nehemiah records how Nehemiah completed that massive project in record time just 52 days. Its is the literal and symbolic event which marked Jerusalems restoration. Will they finish it in a day? WHAT DID NEHEMIAH DO THAT ENABLED HIM TO ENJOY THE FAVOR AND THE HAND OF GOD IN HIS TASK OF RESTORING. The book of Nehemiah records the rebuilding of Jerusalem's city wall in about 445BC. following the Babylonian exile. At the time, I was cupbearer to the king. The temple lay uncompleted. Will you please drop me a mail? I will not go in! 12Then I perceived and saw that God had not sent him at all, but he had pronounced the prophecy against me because Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him. Your theory is very interesting, but based on these statements alone, I cannot justify the 70 weeks referring to 70 years (or 70 Shavuot). So from the restoring of the wall in 492BCE to messiah the Prince in 2BCE, that equals 490. How many days did Nehemiah pray? 15The former governors who were before me laid heavy burdens on the people, and took food and wine from them, besides forty shekels of silver. . He is even given letters from the king to ensure safe passage and to obtain timber from the kings forest for the gates and walls of Jerusalem. Because Haggai and Zechariah prophesied due to the command of YHWH. 11So I came to Jerusalem and was there for three days. After hearing about the sad state of affairs in Judah, Nehemiah acquired the kings permission to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the city and its fortifications. Darius Hystaspes checks the records and confirms that in fact Cyruss did issue a decree and therefore the contruction could go on. 1 The words of () Nehemiah the son of Hachaliah. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel,.. The Temple, the city walls, and the gates had been destroyed as a result of the three invasions of Nebuchadnezzar and his forces in 606 BC, 597 BC, and 586 BC. [] In it, Nehemiah describes his efforts to rebuild the city, even in the face of hostile neighbors: NehemiahThe Man Behind the Wall Biblical Archaeology Society Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to []. Joshua & Zerubbabel restarted construction but their enemies lodge a protest with Darius Hystaspes. It took Nehemiah 52 days to reinforce the gaps and rebuild the wall. I found the picture on their website under the caption A prophet or Nehemiah west facade, south portal, right side, mid-12th c. Location: St. Lazare, Avallon, France. Christian chronologists have preserved this same reckoning of Ezra and Nehemiah because it is the only way to show that Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled the prophecy of Daniel 9. 11O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. After him Meshullam son of Berechiah made repairs opposite his living quarters. The dating of the ministries of Nehemiah and Ezra have been juggled to fit both Jewish and Christian misinterpretations of Daniel 9, unfortunately, and repeated so often that they have become gospel in their respective circles. After them Azariah son of Maaseiah son of Ananiah made repairs beside his own house. 13I also shook out the fold of my garment and said, So may God shake out everyone from house and from property who does not perform this promise. Nehemiah Chapter 3 1 Then Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brethren the priests, and they builded the sheep gate; they sanctified it, and set up the doors of it; even unto the tower of Meah they sanctified it, unto the tower of Hananeel. The first three chapters of Nehemiah cover the rebuilding of the walls to keep the people of God safe. Access to 50+ curated Special Collections. According to Haggai 1, YHWH then spoke to Haggai and asked him why the people were building their own houses when the Temple was not completed. Both I and my family have sinned. Answer (1 of 3): Re your query: Did Nehemiah rebuild the temple? the walls in 586. So take 492BCE in Jeremiahs prophecy on the 490 years and until messiah the prince, whats that put us at? Notes And Next Steps Nehemiah 3 + Part 4 of the series "Nehemiah: Rise & Build" The Sheep Gate (3:1). What many commentators fail to notice is that up until the 2nd year Darius (Hystaspes) Judah & Jerusalem were still under a period of 70 years of divine indignation (Zech.1). Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, current or in historical records of the past almost one thousand years, is there any reference to Nehemiah! Nehemiah. Nehemiah 1:2-4 & 6:15-16. 17Then I said to them, You see the trouble we are in, how Jerusalem lies in ruins with its gates burnt. Will they sacrifice? Notice the context. Each of them has a name and a biblical story. Nehemiah encountered hostility from the (non-Jewish) local officials in neighbouring districts, but in the space of 52 days the Jews under his direction succeeded in rebuilding Jerusalem's walls. Daniyel 9:23 says that at the beginning of Daniyels supplications yatsa davar.. Four highly acclaimed books, published in conjunction with the Smithsonian Institution: Aspects of Monotheism, Feminist Approaches to the Bible, The Rise of Ancient Israel and The Search for Jesus. Will they finish it in a day? 16From that day on, half of my servants worked on construction, and half held the spears, shields, bows, and body-armour; and the leaders posted themselves behind the whole house of Judah, 17who were building the wall. Notice the verse again. He is even given letters from the king to ensure safe passage and to obtain timber from the kings forest for the gates and walls of Jerusalem. The length of the walls is 4,018 meters (2.4966 mi), their average height is 12 meters (39.37 feet) and the average thickness is 2.5 meters (8.2 feet). These walls had been down for 100 years. So come, therefore, and let us confer together. 8Then I sent to him, saying, No such things as you say have been done; you are inventing them out of your own mind 9for they all wanted to frighten us, thinking, Their hands will drop from the work, and it will not be done. But now, O God, strengthen my hands.