I have been colouring my hair for the last 20 years and most recently have had to colour every 2-3 weeks. Ties that were not authentic and honest, but damaging and unhealthy. The only real problems with going cold turkey is the psychology of saying goodbye to hair dye and dealing with a bold demarcation line (where the coloured hair stops). I love this blog and have been enjoying reading about everyones various experiences. Theres not a lot of rules when it comes to growing out your dyed hair to gray but these are 5 things NOT to do for sure. I have been dying my hair for so many years now that I have been afraid to let my hair go natural. I wasn't, although I believed I was at the time. But its always there if I need it. I am quite apprehensive about the grey coming through, and looking a wreck, but your experiences are really helping. My hairdresser was very supportive of my decision, as was my husband. I now have about 5 inches of natural growth (my hair is long), and shes begun weaving in charcoal to blend my previously highlighted hair with my natural growth. I do feel sad sometimes, because I am used to seeing myself with dark brown hair. No matter what your hair type is, we can help you to find the right hairstyles, Update your advertising tracking preferencesThe Right Hairstyles Copyright 2023, 65 Gorgeous Gray Hair Styles to Inspire Your Next Chop, 6 Tips for Transitioning to Gray Hair Based on My Experience, 7 Stylish Long Gray Hair Ideas That Dont Make Women Look Older, 10 Gray Hair Blogs That Inspire Women to Start Their Transition, My Honest Gray Hair Transition Story and How It Changed My Life. Explore. I plan to wear it in a pony tail or pulled up once it stRts to really show my silver/white. From dark brown to silver was too major and went with a short feathered cut which I have kept. What if he decided he wanted to stop bathing regularly for instance? But I am ready to embrace my new self in being who I am and where I am in life. Normalizing the Conversation, Tips for Building the Perfect Charcuterie Board, The Going Gray Makeover: Gray Hair and Makeup Tips, Zero-Waste Makeup: 5 Eco-Friendly Products for A Sustainable Beauty | Revolution Gray, Finding Love in Your 50s | Revolution Gray, Low-Key Ways To Ease Back Into Exercising As You Age | Revolution Gray, Fitness After 50: 10 Must-Have Items To Kick-Start Your Fitness Routine in 2023. There are many ways to go gray including getting a cute pixie, blending grays with lowlights and/or highlights, shaving your head, getting extensionsor going cold turkey. COLD TURKEY: PIXIE CUT. . They wanted a mom with long, dark hair. i really want to grow out the gray! Less drying time = less damage. This is more than just a hair color. My hair now naturally, has a salt and pepper look to it. These how-to steps will get you started as you go from your cover-it-up-color to the gray . Since I no longer work outside the home, I do not feel the same pressure to look as young as when I was working. We cover everything from clean beauty to sustainablefashion to natural wine, organic mattresses and more. (BTW, look at all the women walking around with a grey growth line. I earn money as an Amazon Associate from qualifying purchases. All subscribers are eligible for the annual giveaway on Dec. 1st. We cant tell you how many women tell us that they become male magnets after they go gray or silver. I'm 45 and at the point of need "touch ups" every couple of weeks. Maybe you can relate. Thousands of women have found success in this positive and supportive community, we would love to have you join us! How to cover t. But when her hairdresser freaked out over the decision, she realized she was heading into territory that for many is a no-go zone. I promise you, once you know those things, the negativity of the world may still sting sometimes, but it cant break you. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Now, I am proud of meat 53, Im finally comfortable in my own skin, and hopefully, my own hair! I am 61, have recently retired from full time work, and decided, on a whim really, that I no longer wanted or needed to colour my hair. Hope it goes well, I really want to stop the madness! So, now I am tired of coloring (after 4 years) but dont know if I can deal with negative comments especially from my children. Im not going to judge women who dye their hair or even dare to say that they are not being real or are not embracing who they are! Colored my hair a light brown one last time to get rid of the red, which had faded to a lovely neon orange shade. For a very long time, my hair will be two tones and I am not sure what I will look like. Let us know how things go. I would have to say that after fretting and thinking about letting my natural silver shine for over 20 years, I finally made the choice to be free at the age of 50. I no longer worry about what others think, I have fun creating sassy looks, and I have more confidence than ever before. Always real. More here! Do you think that when the color is all gone that my hair will look a little thicker. Seems to be ok but then I coloured it again! Thank you so much for this website! If your hair is already a few months into the transition. Over the last 10 years or so, my stylist has highlighted it every 3rd visit to help mask the gray roots when they come in. Finally realized I'm tired of worrying about roots and having to color every 4 weeks. That is important to me,. QuickSilverHair is an affiliate with the following brands, I earn a small percentage from any qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. My nutty calico-colored hair doesn't bother me in the least - in . It can be very difficult to get the people that love you the most to accept your decision. I felt that I looked like I was letting myself gothat I didnt care about how I looked. My hair is almost to my waist but my ends are drying out. Not all stylists/colorists are created equal either, my semi permanent was applied at the salon who had assured me it would wash out.. Not so, unfortunately. Question Two: What is the fastest way to get completely gray hair? I let all my hair (silver gray) come in and last summer folded under the same peer pressure . ! NO!! Thank you, Anne! I'm now almost 43, and I'm about . Add to Cart . thanks because i truly am ready and i know my husband hates it but i need to stop worrying about what people think and do what i want for once. 8 Months into the Transition . I am not sure I am making any sense. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Products for Natural Gray African American Hair, Thinking About Reinvention? For me, deciding to go grey was the outward manifestation of deciding to be real. I looked different from my peers and didn . All these point to it being time to stop coloring it but I am terrified. Before you decide to just go cold turkey, there are a couple of options that can make the grow out way less painful. But even if the Internet culture is moving toward a change in mentality and generating debate about what we should consider beautiful or not, the social norms to which weve subscribed are so anchored in some of us that its really difficult to break free from them. Your young one may just LOVE having the cool mom with the awesome grey hair ? Do it! Went to one place, I won't say the name, but suffice to say, I'm still looking! People are saying it will age me, but as been shared, I feel the brown dye is ageing me. What I dread is the transition. Best advise as stated by others, keep up to date on hair and clothing styles. Also joined Gray and Proud! I started dyeing my hair around 20 years old. I am 55 and have dyed it for about 8 years with semi permanent. And it's been a blast! While going gray may seem like a purely aesthetic decision, women who have made the . Could a normal, every day woman feel beautiful going gray? Now I am older and the contrast doesnt look as beautiful anymore. Ive been growing mine out for 6 months and its only just now covering the crown of my head. Translation: if you have mid length hair between jaw and shoulders it will take you 20-24 months to grow out your gray hair cold turkey. I do keep my hair in a short pixie. Ive been debating going gray for a few years now, and now on the brink of turning 40 I feel ready for so many of the reasons you mentioned but one of my biggest reasons in my hair is so dry and brittle. I am also in the healthcare field and do not want to look unkept to new and existing patients. Before the pixie cut, try to refrain as long as possible from hair dyeing. It's a must-read gray hair transition story! Focus on health. I finally did it at age 61, I let my hair grow out 2 months, then did a buzz cut, I just knew that the skunk stripe would do me in, I couldnt go with it. I would rather cut it a little shorter and continue through with the transition or get tired of the skunk look and dye it again. I had a 25 square scarf on hand, so I folded it and tied it around my head, with the know beneath the pony. Groups like The Gray Book helped so much providing support and inspiration. I found my first gray hair at the age of 11, and since my dad went gray at a young age and I only knew him when he was gray, this didnt surprise me much. I told my children and my boyfriend on my 53rd birthday. Also a good check up, especially a thyroid test would be a good idea.Mari, After much soul searching Ive decided to go gray! How To Go Gray: Before and After Pictures. But I keep telling myself it will grow again. Bring it on ! And then there is the cold turkey method which I personally chose to do. I'm 37 and have been growing it out since Jan. 1st 2014 and have received nothing but compliments from both men and women. Rock it! The only upkeep required was toning her colored hair every 6-8 weeks to keep it appearing gray rather than yellow and, of course, regular haircuts. In the beginning, of my transition to gray hair I scoured the internet, Pinterest, and Facebook looking for women who had posted about their full transition to gray hair. It felt like it was going to take forever and I was never going to get there.But I did. This question is one many have and need an answer to that is a visual representation so they can see what start to finish looks like. The hardest part about going gray for me personally was deciding to go for it. . I stopped dyeing my hair in September 2017, after thinking about it for several years. HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR DEMARCATION LINE. I call this my final cut because its where I cut off all the remaining dyed bits of my hair marking the first time in over 20 years that my hair was 100% its natural color. I work out and eat well. I didnt know how the whole thing would end up. I refuse to let anyone else makle me dye my hair, I use jhirmac and bio silk NS ONCE a week I use a clarifying shampoo, I am sorry I ever re put hair color on my hair, it made me have to go through this process of getting dye out, but I refuse to cut my hair short I get my hair trimmed every so many months, I have it at shoulder length. But I like it. thank you for the words of support, Joy. This is just how I feel. Instead of highlighting my hair blond, she highlighted my hair silver and gray. My legs got up and started walking right toward her. Your email address will not be published. And, my hair was healthy looking. Why grey hair is bang on trend. Male magnets: thats because to men, a woman going grey is a sign of independence, strength and fearlessness; a woman willing to be her true self and not hide behind a product. Please do not copy or redistribute anything from this site without further permission. Thank you all. Was I happier then? I thought it would be a good solution for me too but now have come to find out that my hair has been stained and so the 10 months I thought I had under my belt is now starting anew. 5. Enjoy! besides, living in Vermont makes it easier too- women here seem to be more natural. My mother and both my sisters color there hair and when I told them of my plan they were not at all supportive. A light-bulb moment! Always no B.S. IT IS A LONG ROAD BACK ONCE YOU CAVE IN I KNOW!!!!! My going gray journey. AVEDA Blue Malva Shampoo for Gray Hair, and neutralizes brassiness in 33.8 fl oz/1 litre.