A projected second-round pick in the 2023 NBA draft per ESPN, Jaime Jr. could become one of the few players with Mexican heritage to compete in the NBA. Jaquez went 7-of-16 from the field and 2-of-5 from deep with nine rebounds, while Rice went 7-of-10 from the field with five rebounds and four assists. Well eat and talk about the game. But they'll see them in between visits, too. We bring you the latest game previews, live stats, and recaps on CBSSports.com "He's become an elite scorer in college basketball," UCLA men's head coach Mick Cronin said. Vous pouvez modifier vos choix tout moment en cliquant sur le lien Tableau de bord sur la vie prive prsent sur nos sites et dans nos applications. A lot of people get lost in that. That doesnt weigh into my decision. Games, Puzzles, and Crossword. The game against the Wildcats will feature a matchup of the two favorites for player of the year. "Gabriela Jaquez is just all heart," UCLA women's coach Cori Close said. While Jaime came in under the radar, Gabriela entered UCLA with plenty of hype as part of the top-ranked recruiting class in the country. As their two teams leading scorers, the future UCLA standouts sparked the offense on both ends of the floor. Jaime Jaquez Jr. is having the type of senior season at UCLA most players dream about. Jaime Jr. said he tells his sister. July 2021: Gabriela Jaquez (2022) commits to UCLA; September 2021: Marta Morales (2021 commit) is not listed on the team's 2021-22 roster . The 6-foot-7 guard/forward . I know its crazy it took UCLA so long to offer me and Im co-MVP of the McDonalds game, she said. Jaquez was ranked 87th in the 2019 recruiting rankings. "I just told her there's going to be highs, there's going to be lows, but as long as you just persevere and understand this is all a part of your journey and take it as that, because I believe everything happens for a reason. Gabriela said having her older brother around has made adjusting to college easier. If they can beat Washington State in the championship game Sunday, it would improve their seeding for the NCAA Tournament. I feel like every time Im on the floor, I keep smiling and am so happy to be playing with these guys, said Jaquez, who is averaging 17.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. He has gone beyond that and is one of the favorites for Pac-12 Player of the Year. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. In these cases, the average was taken. I had to work harder than everyone else because no one saw me as a top player.. At that point, UCLA was the 15th offer for Jaquez. He has gone beyond that and is one of the favorites for Pac-12 Player of the Year. He has gone beyond that and is one of the favorites for Pac-12 Player of the Year. Londynn Jones 5-5 Guard Riverside, Calif. (Santiago HS) Chris Hansen & Brandon Clay. I know I'm on my own path. Gabriela Jaquez Forward CLASS: 2022. Having a little sister around, you dont really appreciate that when youre in high school. Jaquez, who attended the NCAA mens tournament in Indianapolis with her family, has considered what it would mean to follow in her brothers sneakers in Westwood. For those who feel disappointed about a lack of college scholarship offers, Gabriela Jaquez of Camarillo High is the perfect role model for what can happen in the offseason when a player works hard and continues to develop her skills. 19 in ESPN's recruiting rankings and has been one of the nation's steady risers in the ranks.. Christeen Iwuala 6-3 Post San Antonio, Texas (Ronald Regan HS) Along with Jaquez, the Bruins now have commitments from five-star point guard Londynn Jones, five-star guard Paris Clark, Spanish guard Elena Buenavida, and German forward LinaSontag. 2022, 6'0, SF, Camarillo HS, Gabriela Jaquez - Gabby has improved tremendously this season playing for the Cal Stars Top Team, I would gamble to say she is the best player on that team right now in terms of production on the floor. She was also a Jordan Brand All-American and won the Nik e Girls EYBL National Championship in 2021 with Cal Stars. Latest on UCLA Bruins forward Gabriela Jaquez including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on ESPN Ive been learning a lot, and theres still a lot to learn, she said. permissions/licensing, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com. On3 is a registered trademark of On3 Media, Inc. She makes everyone around her better. Who's out? I listen to him and his teammates talk about the game, and I try to see what I can learn from that.. He is also a two-time member of the Pac-12 All-Defensive Team. Leading her team to an undefeated record with her 33 points and 15.8 rebounds per game, the 6-foot wing has been a staple of the crowd at Pauley Pavilion for men's and women's games the past few seasons and is the No. All three Jaquez siblings recently recognized their Mexican heritage with a name, image and likeness (NIL) deal with Tricolor Holdings, a company in Dallas that helps Latino immigrants purchase and finance cars. Whether youre a lifelong resident of D.C. or you just moved here, weve got you covered. Its just been a lot of fun being able to hang out with him outside of basketball and doing other things, she said. I was always good but kept getting better. The. Gabriela Jaquez 6'0" California Class: 2022 HS: Camarillo HS Pos: SF Get Verified Unlock Rankings State Rank Position Rank - National Rank Overview Verify Player News Recruiting Overview Verify Player News Recruiting Verify Player Are you Gabriela Jaquez, or a parent / guardian of? I feel like every time Im on the floor, I keep smiling and am so happy to be playing with these guys, said Jaquez, who is averaging 17.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. Rice led the East with 17 points while fellow incoming Bruin Gabriela Jaquez scored 17 for the West. She is so committed to mastering her craft. "I love representing a country and representing a culture of something bigger than myself as well," he said. Coach Close on Sontag: "When Lina committed to us, I got calls from two WNBA coaches saying we think she is going to be the next Satou Sabally. The whole team was fired up, Close said. Jaime loves UCLA and has been a mentor for my daughter to show whats required of being a student. SCOUTS GRADE. 20182023 WBB Blog. Gloria is the matriarch who has helped the family remain tight. Even bigger than Jaime Jr. playing for Mexico at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru. Rice is more than just the No. On Sunday morning, the family will quickly head to Las Vegas as the Bruins look to win the conference womens tournament for the first time since 2006. Jaquez averaged 24.2 points, 13.2 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.1 assists over her career at Camarillo (California) High School. The Bruins (24-8) faced No. On Wednesday, Jaquez returned home from Chicago and immediately resumed playing for Camarillos softball team, where shes the starting third baseman. Things like that. One of the highlights for both came on Nov. 7 when UCLA held a rare basketball doubleheader for the season opener. I am his little sister. 4 UCLA and Jaime Jaquez Jr. Not only does the senior have a chance at winning Pac-12 Player of the Year honors, but this season has been extra special because his sister Gabriela is in her first year on the Bruins women's basketball team. Before the game, I was, Im not going to do anything special. Its extremely busy, but were proud of all of them, Jaime Sr. said. for best prep sports column. High School Girls' Basketball Recruiting Gabriela Jaquez. Another highly-recognized name is Gabriela Jaquez, whose brother, Jaime, is a star on the men's team. All Rights Reserved. LOS ANGELES -- Jaime Jaquez Jr. is having the type of senior season at UCLA most players dream about. Women's Bracketology: Stanford stays on top line despite loss, Bracketology: Who's in? The 6-foot-7 guard/forward led his team in scoring and rebounding as the fourth-ranked Bruins captured their first outright regular-season Pac-12 title since 2013. Ezequiel's parents didn't know much about basketball after they emigrated from Mexico and moved to Oxnard, California, when their son was a child. "The whole community, because they have their friends, they played with them on our team. That was a super fun and exciting past few days. But the Jaquez family's only former McDonald's All-American, and its most competitive member, didn't seem to notice her brother's reaction or that of her family sitting in the stands, and jumped back on defense. The Bruins (25-8) upset No. "One of the things I thought about, I just had all my friends," Jaime Jr. said. She's a great passer, which I think is one of the lost arts of our game. Despite the disappointing game, Gabriela is an improving young player who was recruited to become an anchor for the Bruins. It pushes me even harder, she said. Going into Saturdays regular-season finale against No. Join Facebook to connect with Gabriela Jaquez and others you may know. Through group texts, it is collectively decided who will attend which game and when. Jaime Jaquez Jr. is having the type of senior season at UCLA most players dream about. The Bruins (25-8) upset No. Its extremely busy, but were proud of all of them, Jaime Sr. said. She is third on the team in 3-point accuracy at 36.7%. Eric Sondheimer is the prep sports columnist for the Los Angeles Times. Off the court, she enjoys heading to the beach and hanging out with her friends. A couple of hours later, Jaime had 14 points and seven rebounds in UCLAs victory over Sacramento State. In high school, he earned recognition in local newspapers as one of the first Mexican American players in the area to compete at an elite level. If I went to USC, Id still be Jaime Jaquezs sister Hes supportive of what I want to do.. The 6-foot-7 guard/forward led his team in scoring and rebounding as the fourth-ranked Bruins captured their first outright regular-season Pac-12 title since 2013. That is. Its a pretty cool deal, Jaime said. She was the 19th-ranked player in the Class of 2023 and co-MVP of last years McDonalds All-American game. In a sport with limited Mexican representation -- Juan Toscano-Anderson (Marquette), Jorge Gutierrez (Cal), Horacio Llamas (Grand Canyon) and Eduardo Najera (Oklahoma) are four of just five NBA players with Mexican heritage since 1946, while Evina Westbrook (UConn) became the WNBA's first Mexican-American player when she was drafted by the Seattle Storm in 2022 -- the Jaquez family's legacy might be unprecedented. LOS ANGELES UCLA Women's Basketball has signed five elite recruits that make up what is believed to be the nation's top-ranked recruiting class. . "And I started to appreciate it a lot more.". Coach Close on Iwuala: "Christeen is one of those big-time post players that you don't get to see develop very often. While Jaime came in under the radar, Gabriela entered UCLA with plenty of hype as part of the top-ranked recruiting class in the country. Jaquez had one offer -- from Cal Baptist or something -- before playing with Cal Stars. Jaime Jr. weighed 10 pounds, 3 ounces when he was born. #4sup @UCLAWBB @vcstar @vcspreps @TheAcornSports @latsondheimer @CalStars @AchsGirls pic.twitter.com/r0hKYpEDLN. Play Tournament Challenge. I feel like every time Im on the floor, I keep smiling and am so happy to be playing with these guys," said Jaquez, who is averaging 17.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. Photo courtesy of Jaime Jaquez Sr. Marcos started playing chess shortly before the popular Netflix series "Queen's Gambit" launched. The previous top scoring average for a girls player occurred 41 years ago or. Coach Close on Jones: "Londynn is dynamic. Gabriela Jaquez arrived at UCLA for the 2022-2023 season as one of the nation's top 20 basketball recruits. Gabriela Jaquez Wins Co-MVP In 2022 McDonald's All-American Game | Part Of UCLA #1 Recruiting Class - YouTube Skip navigation Sign in Suggested: #1 Ranked Point Guard Kiki Rice Wins Co-MVP,. This article should address all of the questions College Coaches are asking about these kids in the evaluation. The other MVP was fellow Bruins freshman Kiki Rice. I was going to do whatever I could to make it happen. Gabriela Jaquez arrived at UCLA for the 2022-2023 season as one of the nations top 20 basketball recruits. He wants to be known as a Bruins legend first. Gabriela added, "We'll learn from it. The more immediate task is preparing for Saturdays game, which will also be Jaquezs final game in Pauley Pavilion. With Jaime having two home games, Gabriela at the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas and younger brother Marcos, a Camarillo High School basketball team senior, it has been another busy week of travel for the Jaquez family. She was the 19th-ranked player in the Class of 2023 and. "We're both competitive," Jaime Jr. said to ESPN of his sister's reaction to what she considered a disappointing performance, despite also picking up nine rebounds. 6 Stanford 69-65 in the Pac-12 tournament semifinals, https://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball, https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll. Now were selling out games.. 13k Followers, 978 Following, 101 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Gabriela Jaquez (@gabrielajaquezz) We have a good team capable of winning games.. There is a reason she was ranked the number one guard in her class. (Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times) The. Gabriela had 10 points and six rebounds in her first college game as the Bruins beat Cal-Poly. I can play basketball and hold my own. 2 player on ESPN recruiting board. I want to work harder than anybody else, I want to do whatever it takes'. She smiled when showing off the pictures of the gathering, particularly one: More than 100 members, including Jaime Jr., Gabriela and others from California, standing in front of a church she once attended as a youth. Its just been a lot of fun being able to hang out with him outside of basketball and doing other things, she said. In four seasons under coach Mick Cronin, Jaquez has emerged as a fan favorite and one of Cronins favorite players who has played for him all four years. (Photo by . In The Gym With Avery Howell. To order Si vous souhaitez personnaliser vos choix, cliquez sur Grer les paramtres de confidentialit. But it's a familiar grind. Jones checks in at the No. 8 Arizona, Jaime is on pace to become only the sixth player in conference history to rank in the top five in the Pac-12 in scoring, rebounding and steals. She was greatly described as sweet as pie off the court and beastly on the court, and I think that's a pretty good combination. I think I always knew I was capable of playing in the Pac-12 and going where I wanted to go, she said.