Edward Carter Sarah (_____) Taylor-Smith John Wheatley However, it is not at all clear looking at her parents charts on Ancestry. William Bennett Her father was Sylvestor Taylor. John Williams (of Perquimans) Index to Vital Statistics Births Iredell, 5 reels 1913-1981. My dna with Gedmatch shows Native American ancestry. I know that in the matriarchal society, women could divorce a husband. Mary (Stafford) May Moulet Solomon Alston Some researches have pointed me toward the Tuscarara Tribe. Henry Norman II John Branch Of the people in the 1888-1889 census, very few surnames were found when the Tuscarora residedin North Carolina, but those few include Hewett, Jack, Miller, Smith and Seneca. 1. ej Richard Allen, Jr., Warren AndrewsX, Nathaniel Averitt, Joseph Ballard, Sr., Joseph Ballard, Jr.,Samuel Barclift, Jacob Bardin, John Bardin, Richard Barfield, Sr., Richard Barfield, Jr., John Blount, Benjamin Boykin, Edward Boykin, Jr. , John Bright, Simon Bright, John Bryan, Needham Bryan, John Bryant, William Bryant, Rose (Bush) Wynns, Jacob Butler, Robert Campen, James Castellow, Richard Chappell, Joseph Chew, Arthur Cotton, John Cotton II, John Cotton III, Joseph Daniel, Sr., Owen Daniel/ODaniel, Samuel Davis, Sr.,William Daw, Sr.,Jean Depp,Thomas Dudley, William Everett, Benjamin Foreman, Sr., Robert Forster, Francis Foster, William Foster, James Foyle, John Fulford, Benjamin Griffin, Col. William Hancock I, Capt. Joseph Poitevint Thomas Smith II Thomas Wallace John Baner Joseph Glaister Benjamin Griffin Osborne Jeffreys Reply, My grandmother brother was Chief Arnold Hewitt of my Tuscarora reservation years ago but that about all I know my father and grandmother have both passed and I was not able to have a relationship with them. William Willson (of Tyrrell) She wouldve been my sixth great grandmother. John Freeman James Poitevint Lemuel Lamb Hardy Thomas Blount II This link says he was a Chief of the Tuscarora but doesnt say either of his parents were Native American, trying to figure it out. Warren Andrews The 1870 federal population census, the first on which former slaves are listed by name, can be confusing because individuals with shared surnames may be family members or former owners.Even if one knows that an ancestor was born during slavery, work . Much information never seen before, and many mistakes corrected. William Bailey Much information never seen before. The State Library and the State Archives have long traditions of helping North Carolinians research their past. After you have collected this information, you are ready to move forward with your family history research. Thomas Lovick Raleigh, NC 27699-4600, An official website of the State of North Carolina. Edward Holmes, Sr. Richard Braswell III John Fonville George Hughes William Williams (of Martin) Could you please tell me if the surname Wilson was ever a Tuscarora name. William Gregory I have traced back a direct line to John Smith Son of Edith Smith and Samuel Smith Jr. Richard Davenport I also found a Chief Thomas Howell who signed to sell part of the Woods reservation in NC to move to NY. Walter Lane Ceely Ann Keziah daughter of Sandifer Keziah, unknown Tuscarora Father. She married Daniel Jones and they moved to Martin County, NC..her birthday is 1856. . Thomas Devane Required fields are marked *. Immediately the Highland Scots contributed to some of the greatest events in the state's history. . Richard Sanderson John Smith, Sr. This list constitutes only those ancestors represented in the Order; additional ancestors continue to be proven, documented and added to our rolls. Samuel Davis, Sr. Michael King, Jr. William Charles John Godley Sheriff Thomas Bonner, John Bright, Michael King, Sr.,John Lee, Jr.X,Joel Martin, John Nelson, Sr., Robert Peyton II, Hon. Christopher Dudley Lawrence Mackque Right on the Nuesebetween RaleighSmithfieldKinstonGoldsboro.is a big time Tuscarora Territory and several old villages. Richard Rustull, Sr. Places; Login. Alvis, Anderson, Beubleton or Bembleton, Bissell, Brayley, Bissell, Beaver, Cusick, Chew, Douglas, DeFeurest, Fish, Garlow, Green, Gansworth, Hewitt, Hill, Henry, Isaac, Jonson, Jack, Jones, Jacob, Johnathan, Jenison or Jemison, Lonto, Mt. Capt. John Bass Ebenezer Slade William Sexton James Long III However, it is actually documented in several books and it is not hidden..just not broadcasted. Before the naming of these settlers, please allow focus on the early surnames who arrived before 1755. John Sumner My Great Great Grandmother was Addie Roberts also Tuscarora Indian , looking for any information on her side of the family. Transatlantic origins are given where known, and colonial origins discussed. William Ruffin William Wallis North Carolina, the Old North State and the new Ancestry. Edward Boykin, Jr. Johan Cnys/Koonce Let me know if yal have any info ! Benjamin Pritchard Thomas Loftin Daniel Jackson, Sr. William Kinchen II The . For more information, contact ETHS at 865-215-8824 or by e-mail. William Drummond, Christopher Dudley,George Durant, John Edwards, Robert Ellis, Sir Richard Everard, Nathaniel Everitt, George Fort,John Freeman, Jr., Thomas Futrell II, Henry Gibbs, Sr., Rev. Ive checked Ancestry and we go back to a Casiah name, but I have no census that mentions her as belonging to any tribe at all. Nicholas Sessums There were 11 last names reported by more than one million individuals: Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown, Jones, Garcia, Miller, Davis, Rodriguez, Martinez, and Hernandez. Fully documented sketches of the second 200 ancestors used by members of the OFFNC, complete with a documented list of children and their spouses. Timothy Clare Henry White, Jr. John Bunn Thomas Cook Jonathan Pearson Joseph Boon She is not listed on a y census that I can find as Native, but family understood her to be Tuscarora. John George Kornegay I am trying to find out how the name became native and if the two sides of my family Cusicks are related. I cant imagine their were too many more Allens of the Tuscarora that moved to Richmond city specifically. Abraham Mitchell, Sr. James Braswell The 1909 Guion Miller Roll is of major use to Eastern Cherokee researchers. Early North Carolina Settlers, 1700s-1900s This unique collection is comprehensive in its coverage of early North Carolina marriage records, death records, land records, historical sketches, and biographies referencing approximately 200,000 individuals. Did they then resume their original name? John Bobbitt Thomas Sutton John Baptista Ashe The first three films are an alphabetical surname guide. A Scottish corporation in the 1880s purchased land in Madison and Haywood Counties with a view to bringing in Scottish settlers. Peter Poitevint Henry Woodhouse William Daw, Sr. Richard Rustull, Jr. North Carolina & South Carolina. A woman named Esther Gibson remainedand at least one other female child. The first mention of Craven as a surname in Yorkshire appears to be a Thomas de Craven, son of Ragnald de Rawdon, in the early 13th century. Edmund Pearce, Jr. Solomon Pool My great great grandmothers name is Martha Ann Taylor of Pitt County NC. While in the process of setting up the Tuscarora DNA project, I needed to find the names of the Tuscarora Indians who are documented in North Carolina before their removal to New York and in New York. STATESVILLE, N.C. ( WBTV /Gray News) - Two students in North Carolina were nearly hit by a car that flew past the stopped school bus as they crossed the street. Francis Parrott His will was filed among NC Secretary of State loose wills. Henry King John Newby All of you who are possibly Tuscarora let us come together and share our stories together based on what I am reading from all of you , we are related, let us find some time to spend some time together, my name is Josephine Franco 302-670-6717, and leave a message, take care, I am a descendant of the Hewett & Mitchell families from The Vanceboro area of Craven County. William Williams Richard Sanderson, Stephen Swaine, Henry Turner, Jeremiah Vail. Adam Mohr Any details or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Is the name Lassiter out of Bertie County NC associated with the Native Americans in that area. The List of Eight Keziahs chose their name sometime around 1750. Rose (Bush) Wynns As a child my family visited the Tuscarora Reservation and Church in about 1950 and met Louise Taconte (or Daconte). Start here! Albert Albertson, Sr.,Nathaniel Albertson,Simon Alderson, Sr., John Alston, Sr., John Archbell, William Bailey, Henry Baker II, Thomas Barecock, Edward Barnes, Jacob Barnes, Joseph Barnes, John Bass, William Bateman, Abraham Baum, William Bennett, Ann Bigg, Benjamin Blanchard, Capt. Id also like to find some information on this link to the Tuscarora as my Russell line is German, Irish & Cherokee. John Archbell Ancestors in vol. Sarah (Helmot) Leigh Thomas Bateman II Homes can tell as rich of a story as the people who inhabited them. They are descendants from a Tuscarora Margaret Roberts born around 1725. James Boone Ceely Ann married Benjamin Scalf. were North Carolinas Tuscarora Chiefs. Maps & Plats Iredell County, 2 reels, 1917-1972. I have been told that my gggrandmother on my Jones grandfathers side, (I have her death certificate and she is listed as negro) Martha Ann Taylor Jones was Native American. John Clarke I Thomas Barecock John Cannon 1.18 V. 1.19 W. 2 References. Secure websites use HTTPS certificates. James Blount, John Blount, Capt. James Leigh, Jr. Henry/Hendry Smith Thomas Avent Leonard Langston, Sr. Nicholas Isler John Martin (of Pasquotank) Thomas Sawyer (d. 1765) William Alston Robert Hill Lewis Bryant Rachel (Welch) Lawrence Pricklove Robert Ellis Gather as many names and dates and you can. Francis Delamare, Jr. Munroe, John Cuthbert. Peter Pearson, Robert Peele I, Robert Peele II,Robert Peele III, Robert Peele IV, Jacob Perry, Sr., Robert Peyton II, Samuel Pike II, Jacob Pope, George Powell, John Powell, Kader/Cader Powell, George Powers, Benjamin Pritchard, Col. Francis Pugh, Gov. Thomas Whitmel Trader Joseph Evans III She was born c.1905 in Lewiston, Niagara County. Simon Anderson These short tutorials from the State Library cover a variety of aspects of researching your family history. This broad-strokes guide will help you learn about the history of your home. P.O. Elias Fort William Lawrence Best to search Surname only on first try. 2.2 Internet. Nathaniel Albertson Why is she Minqua? George Kornegay John Aldridge John Alston George Powell Henry Slade, Jr. Stephen and his wife had a daughter Lavanche/ Levanche Owen / Owens Belle who was married to Delos Derebogne Gallup. Hardcover, 6 x 9, xviii, 672 pages, Baltimore, Md., 2017, $40.00. My Great -Grandfather married Romaine Newsome in 1912. William Kinchen II, William Kinchen III, Charles King, Michael King, Jr., Michael King III, Walter Lane, William Lawrence, Lawrence Mackque, John Martin, Sr., William Maund, Sr., William Maund, Jr., John McKinne, Jr., Zachariah Morris, Phillip Mulkey, John Nelson III, Christopher Nicholson, Jr., Samuel Nicholson, John Nixon, Edward Norwood, Ephraim Overman, Sr., Thomas Overman, Henry Palin, Sr., Henry Palin, Jr., Thomas Palin, Sr., Thomas Palin, Jr., Michael Paquinet, Jr., Francis Parker, John Patterson, John Peirce, Thomas Peirce, James Poitevint, Peter Poitevint, Solomon Pool, Dr. Thomas Relfe, Capt.