Evan Williams Bottled in Bond Classification: Straight Bourbon Company: Heaven Hill Distillery: Heaven Hill Released: Ongoing Proof: 100 Age: NAS Mashbill: 78% Corn, 12% Malted Barley, and 10% Rye Color: Bright Gold MSRP: $15 (2017) Official Website Buy Evan Williams Bottled in Bond at Frootbat It was reviewed here. For around 15 bucks in Kentucky, it is another value bottled in bond bourbon that is also worth a try. Just to see if different was necessarily better. 1783 also has a floral hint when compared to Black Label. Mexican Bottled in Bond: Under the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897, . Round 7: Tasting Notes Evan Williams Evan Williams is about $15 for a 750mL bottle. Evan Williams Black Label: is very similar, though slightly mintier, on the nose. Evan Williams Single Barrel (86.6 proof, $30) Nose: Caramel, vanilla, rye spices, jam, cedar, with moderate alcoholTaste: Sweet black tea, char, oak, jamFinish: Some sweet black tea remains, but a fair amount of char, dryness and alcohol build into the finish, which is fairly long with a moderate alcohol burn. It lends itself well to just vegging out watching an implausible prime-time action drama. And when it comes to the appearance, ingredients, and labeling of each bottle, the two . Bottle overall is designed to influence and appearance is trying to convey an upscale bourbon. Australian Evan Williams distills their own bourbon, whereas Ezra Brooks sources their distillate from Heaven Hill. The Evan Williams 1783 is the brand's small-batch offering bottled at 43% ABV. Mixology Canada Full flavored but still smooth, this sweet tasting BiB bourbon wont wow you, but offers enough versatility to make it a mainstay in any home bar, all for less than $20. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond is aged under government supervision and meeting the exact requirements for a Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon. That's the theory behind theIf You've Hadseries. Please visit BourbonGuyGifts.com today! Article Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond. Evan Williams set up his distillery on the banks of the Ohio River in 1783 and is historically recognized as Kentucky's first distiller of bourbon. Bevmo Proof: 100 Price: I believe I paid 17.99 at Kroger when I was supposed to be buying milk, but wandered into the liquor store instead. Sign up with your email address to receive an email notification when a new article publishes. 90 Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond Straight Bourbon Whiskey 50% (USA) $17.00. Fast Facts Heineken If you're an Evan Williams or Elijah Craig drinker, you might find that Henry McKenna tastes familiar. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Since September, I've had it neat a half dozen times or so, used it in a few cocktails and even for cooking on occasion. The finishes are basically identical. If anything, what this release really points out is that the Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond that was redesigned in 2019 is something of a tough sellwhy spend $40 when there are so many solid, high-value options from the same distillery at nearly half the price? Of course, sometimes you buy something just because you want to compare it to something else. Australia SigmanBottle is a liquor store in the Metro Atlanta area. Belgian The 57.8% ABV is. All in all each experience was enjoyable. Has a nice smell and taste that does not overwhelm. Food It is bottled at 90-proof. It has been ranked as one of the world's best . An additional quick hit of heat follows and that, and then swiftly ramps down and fades away, leaving you with a light residual of oak. Evan Williams Small Batch 1783 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 10 year old 1.75L Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch honors the year that Evan Williams founded Kentucky's First Distiller we 96-100 Evan Williams Bottled in Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon86 points, $17 Yet another Heaven Hill offering is on this list because the distillery is America's largest producer of bottled in bond whiskey (as well as other spirts like brandy). Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch (90 proof, $20) Evan Williams Green Label: shows much more dried corn influence on the nose. Luckily you guys are smarter than I am and when a reader requested I do one on the Evan Williams, I felt like it was time to jump back in on this series. . Kroger's The nose is rich in peanuts, with notes of vanilla frosting, cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar. Made from a mash comprised of of 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley. The finish on Bonded is longer. Increasingly, it feels like were splitting hairs here. Evan Williams 1783; Bottled at 45%ABV, Evan Williams 1783 is the brand's small-batch offering. The best music, movies, TV, books, comedy and more. Evan Williams is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey bottled in Bardstown, Kentucky, by the Heaven Hill company. Or what about the beloved Evan Williams Bonded, which carries a 100 proof level for roughly $15? Featured in an unassuming bottle and at a mid 80s proof point, it was a bottle that was easy to pass by on shelves. Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond is bright gold in color. The mouthfeel is thinner and the flavor is more grain-forward. The only 1783 10 year age stated bottles I have/have seen, have all been pre-fire. Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond, or White Label, is their 100 proof bottled in bond . by Michelle De Lude | Nov 23, 2022. In practice, though, Evan Williams 1783 sits in the middle of a Heaven Hill bourbon lineup with so many other options that its totally unsurprising for it to go relatively unnoticed. Strawberry jam and some sweetness lingers. Likewise, although 1783 is undeniably a good value, looking at the specs of Elijah Craig Small Batch, a blend of 8-12 year old barrels with a proof point of 94, for a mere $5 more on average, seems to suggest that its an even better value. It almost flattens out on my tongue, settling in the base of my mouth without the spicy, tingly pop on the roof of my mouth that I sometimes notice with higher proof bourbons. Wild Turkey 101. Cheers!. It takes like a sweet yeasty stack of pancakes with maple syrup on top, with a nice dusty taste to it. Sometimes a wallet-friendly price point and the basics are enough to earn that chance. I try to write this so that there are no value judgments. That all changed this year thanks to both a bump in proof and a smart new bottle design. The main difference between Jack Daniel's vs Evan Williams Bourbon lies in their flavors, place of distillation, and alcohol content. Affordable 94 Evan Williams 2013 Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey 43.3% (USA) $29.00. Costco 14 Day returns. However, that is not to say Evan Williams - the brand - has been around since 1783. The mouthfeel on Black Label is thinner and the finish is longer. JOIN US ON PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/stuffandwhiskey GET STUFF & WHISKEY MERCH: www.stuffandwhiskey.com TUNE INTO OUR NEXT LIVES. The finish of 1783 is more floral and mintier. Click & Collect (Mon-Fri 10am - 5pm) Free. Evan Williams Single Barrel (2013 vintage): is very similar, though showing more floral notes, on the nose. The finish follows and is longer than Green Label. That is because I am literally going from one bourbon to the other and recording my impressions of the difference. Again, Im getting brown sugar, light corny sweetness and hints of nuttinessdefinitely less nuts than youd get in even younger Heaven Hill bourbon, like Evan Williams Black Labelalong with a pleasant array of spice, from semi-subtle rye spice to flashes of black pepper, cinnamon and candied ginger. The bourbon is a 2015 vintage bottled at 119 proof (much higher than usual for Evan Williams Single Barrel), and each bottle comes with a collectible 2023 Pegasus Pin. It ranks as one of the better entry levels bourbons available at this . Although some version of "Since 1783" appears on every bottle of Evan Williams, whiskey historians (yes, that, Evan Williams Straight Kentucky Bourbonvs. Evan Williams 1783 Small Bath. 1783 is the year in which Evan Williams founded Kentucky's first distillery. Selected from fewer than two hundred barrels, the small-batch is named after the year Evan Williams supposedly founded his distillery. Single Barrel (2013) is much fruitier and more floral with more cinnamon on the mouth and that difference follows into the finish. The mouth on 1783 is richer, with a thicker mouthfeel and more concentrated flavor profile. about Egans Legacy Reserve Volume IV 18 Years Single Malt Irish Whiskey Review, about Malt Nuts: Teenage Caol Ila Tasting, 2019 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Review, Four Roses Small Batch Select Bourbon Review, Four Roses 2018 Limited Edition Small Batch Review 130th Anniversary, Egans Legacy Reserve Volume IV 18 Years Single Malt Irish Whiskey Review, J.R. Ewing Private Reserve Bourbon Review. So if you've had Whiskey A, but not Whiskeys B through E, then the Whiskey A section will be the most useful to you. Earned Double Gold Medal at the 2021 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. First, though, lets define what exactly Evan Williams 1783 is, exactly. Have you had all 3? Producer: Heaven Hill. I'd read that it was a pretty good value bourbon and decided on a whim to pick it up. Furthermore, while we know the distribution of Heaven Hill BiB is quite limited outside of Kentucky, Evan Williams BiB is distributed nationwide. Evan Williams (or Evan Williams black label) is a middle shelf whiskey most people are familiar with. This way you get to decide based on what you know of Whiskey A if Whiskey B sounds like something you'd want to try. There are a few facts worth knowing about the Evan Williams 1783: The nose issmooth and sweet, with a rich hint of vanilla, followed by cotton candy and a tad of oak. Sonoma Peanut, vanilla frosting, cinnamon, brown sugar, Caramel, corn syrup, peanuts, cinnamon, oak, 1783 is the year in which Evan Williams founded. The finish is similar in warmth and length but brings the floral and melon notes along. All Evan Williams bourbons are made from Heaven Hills standard bourbon mash bill: 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley, and they are aged in char level 3 barrels. Thats why its so refreshing to see Evan Williamsn 1783 Small Batch buck this trend and anchor at a flat $20. Comparing Evan Williams Black Label, 1783 and the Bottled in Bond. Heavy classic bourbon scents of charred oak, caramel, and vanilla fill the glass. Bernheim Barrel Proof Original Wheat Whiskey (Batch A223), World Whiskey Society Doc Holliday 8 Year Bourbon, Bardstown Bourbon Company Origin Series Bottled in Bond Bourbon, Lifting the shroud on malted corn bourbon with Frey Ranch's Co-Founder Colby Frey, The definitive guide on how to drink bourbon. Despite the lack of an age statement (though a minimum of four years can be inferred from the label), Evan Williams BiB is actually a five year product according to Heaven Hill Brand Ambassador Bernie Lubbers, so really just one year shy of Heaven Hill BiB. The finish shows more cinnamon and is longer. Nose: right away, I'm reminded of sour milk. Evan Williams 1783 has a thicker mouthfeel and shows more baking spice and caramel. Mouth: The sweetness is repeated here. Except where otherwise noted, this website is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license. So which was which? So this line of bourbons is named in his honor. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey 45% (USA) $19.00. Age: Non-Age Stated (Around 6-8 years) ABV: 45%. (Current price for Black Label at Binnys is $13.99 per 750 mL. It gets hotter as it moves back in the mouth. 1783 is a small batch bourbon using less than 200 barrels; which is a bit too high for a supposedly small batch. Evan Williams Single Barrel (2013 vintage): is much fruitier and more floral on the nose. Spring or Fall). Mouth: Very sweet on entry. Never seen a 10 year age stated one from the 2000s though. Kroger This whiskey offers drier, woodier, and more complex flavors than typical bottled-in-bonds, courtesy of those extra years in the barrel. We talk about bourbon, rye, or any American whiskey here (yes, even Jack). 1783 has a thicker mouthfeel and shows more caramel and a pronounced floral note when compared to Bonded. The setup is like this: "If you've had Whiskey A then Whiskey B is" hotter, spicier, sweeter, more floral, etc. IPA Not all bourbon needs to stand out to be good and earn a chance to sit on your bar. 20. Last year, Heaven Hill Distillery makers of Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna and more discontinued its popular 6-year Bottled-in-Bond expression. Taken all together, Evan Williamsn 1783 Small Batch offers a tremendous value to consumers that is a welcome site to see. One brand has hints of banana and contains 40% ABV, while the other tastes like buttered caramel and apple with 43% ABV. The BiB is also 7% higher ABV. Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Distillery: Heaven Hill City: Bardstown, KY Style: Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey ABV: 45% (90 proof) Availability: 750 ml bottles, $20 MSRP. For folks still bitter about it . There are a few facts worth knowing about the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond: Aged at least 4 years. It was something I'd had and liked before, but with so many other tasty things to try, it had taken a while for me to go pick it up again. It has all the kick you expectbut still goes down smooth. Oct 5, 2019. Evan Williams 1783. by Michelle De Lude | Nov 23, 2022. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey lives up to its designation with a bold flavor profile and a smoothness that belies its high proof. Easy drinking neat but as it lacks the punch to make a tasty cocktails as it misses the warmth that makes cocktails tasty. Appearance: In the bottle: ruddy. Except where otherwise noted, this website is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license. Origin Wheated Bottled in Bond Bourbon . 1783 is not bad by any means, it has a good flavor at a price range in which bourbons taste like rocket fuel. Trader Joe's Additional information . This article purely describing the differences between the various bourbons. Evan Williams Green Label (80 proof) may be available regionally. Evan Williams has a lighter flavor and lower proof bottling, whereas Ezra Brooks has spicier flavor and higher proof bottling. A bottle of Evan Williams' higher-strength white label at 100 proof. Brown Bottled-in-Bond. Its light on alcohol and absent of any woody or oak notes making it quite nice, albeit heavy handed with the sweeter elements. The standard version of this MGP-distilled blend of three mash bills is ardently 65% corn-based, solidly high rye at 22%, and followed by a murky split between wheat and barley. All in all, you really cant possibly ask more for $20 in the current bourbon market. On the face of it, then, this is a high-value brand that offers a taste of small batch flavors on a budget. On the nose, this newly redesigned Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch smells sweetly inviting, combining some of the classic Heaven Hill bourbon nuttiness (peanut shells and hints of peanut butter) with brown sugar, cinnamon and slight gingerbread. If you're not old enough to drink, then you're not old enough to read Breaking Bourbon. According to the press release, the bourbon is pulled from less than 300 barrels. Sweet vanilla, oak, toasted brown sugar, and light caramel swirl together creating a pleasing soiree of sweet flavors that fills the mouth. The end result is a bottle that looks like it should be priced higher than it really is, and one that will now grab consumers attention as they walk down the aisle.Now a bottle redesign itself isnt all that unique. Thanks to a new bottle design and a bump in proof, this sums up Evan Williamsn 1783 Small Batch in a nutshell. Unlike Wild Turkey 17 Year Bottled in Bond, it's not overly bitter, tannic, or harsh. Evan Williams Apple. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond: is sweeter, nuttier, and has more cocoa on the nose. Bonded is warmer in the mouth, showing more nutty and cocoa notes. Evan Williams Small Batch has a higher price point than the black label, but what is it exactly, and is it worth paying the extra $ per bottle? The final tasting came down to a pair of bourbons with vastly different flavor profiles. Its technically non-age-statement, but Heaven Hill states that its a marriage of barrels aged six to eight years, and the proof on this new version has been bumped up slightly, from 43% ABV (86 proof) to its original 45% ABV (90 proof). Evan Williams 1783, for instance, is composed of bourbons 6-8 years old, according to Heaven Hill. Bastille Day If Green Label was your go-to before it was discontinued, you shouldnt notice much difference if you switch to Black Label. One of the little highlights of my trip was stopping into the liquor stores to scope out all the tasty things I couldn't get (or didn't think I could get) at home. HH is targeting a different profile with the 1783 compared with the BIB. Islay Paler than expected, in the glass. Murphy's A bottle of Evan Williams 1783 drink contains more than two hundred barrels of selected bourbon gathered in small batches. You must be 21 or over to enter this website. Beers Of Mexico 118. Evan Williams Black Label (80 proof, $13) The Evan Williams Single Barrel is well rounded, with no over dominant hints. Green Label, Black Label, and Bottled-in-Bond are all very similar, basically differing in how concentrated the flavors are and how long the finish is. Ill save the detailed results of the comparison for a futureBreaking Bourbon Face Off, but in simple terms side by side, each of these bourbons does offer its own distinguishing characteristics, as subtle as they may be. Just try finding a 6 to 8-year-old, 90 proof bourbon from one of your local micro-distilleries for $20. You must be 21 or over to enter this website. Evan Williams Green Label: is more grain-forward on the nose, showing a lot more corn. The finish is longer. Marsh Black Label is sweeter on the mouth, showing more classic bourbon "caramel/vanilla" notes. Named after Evan Williams, who opened Kentucky's 1st Distillery in 1783. All Evan Williams bourbons are made from Heaven Hill's standard bourbon mash bill: 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley, and they are aged in char level 3 barrels. *As of the time of writing, I am waiting for confirmation on that fact from Heaven Hill and will update if I hear back from them. LEARN MORE Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch honors the year that Evan Williams founded Kentucky's First Distillery. I'd like this as I watch tv at the end of a rough day. . It lacks a bit in body and proof but does not have any off-putting or complicated flavors making an ideal everyday whiskey. While you could compare this directly with Heaven Hill BiB (6 year old) at $12 and say the Evan Williams BiB is younger and more expensive at $15, I would argue that youre just comparing two bourbons that both offer exceptional value. 1783 also has a floral hint when compared to Black Label. The Bourbon. That put pressure on Evan Williams Single Barrel, whose packaginghand-bottled and wax-sealedmakes it significantly more expensive to bottle.Brands and expressions come and go, so why . While not exceptional by any means, Evan Williams BiB is an appealing and versatile bourbon with tremendous value. In 1783, he founded Kentuckys first commercial distillery and therefore was Kentuckys first licensed distiller. Evan Williams Green Label: is less sweet and more grain forward on the nose. Overall the design harkens to an earlier type of whiskey bottle with simple, nostalgic, and tasteful lines. Last September I was in Kentucky. Switzerland Add Gift Card $9.95 Add to Cart Checkout securely with Evan Williams is one of Kentucky's most prominent bourbon brands, with a portfolio that includes a multitude of bourbons, flavored whiskeys, and liqueurs. Domestic The end result is a pleasingly sweet palate that is the highlight of the sip. The 6 - 8 year aged barrels used along with the move back to 90 proof, helps the bourbon just enough to provide for a sip that is easy enough to appreciate and enjoy. Canadian Evan Williams 1783 Bourbon . Nose: This is a sticky sweet caramel roll in a glass. Beer The whiskey community wasn't happy about it, and understandably so: the $15 bottle was one of the best value buys in all of bourbon. A little spicy up-front and a bit dry on the finish but overall very smooth and enjoyable. I found it a bit shocking that I found the "normal" one more to my liking, but that's why I taste blind: I don't want any preconceptions. by Michelle De Lude | Nov 23, 2022. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch: is spicier on the nose, showing prominent cinnamon notes. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond Details Distillery: Heaven Hill Type & Region: Bourbon, Kentucky, USA Alcohol: 50% Composition: 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley Aged: At least 4 years old per bottled in bond rules Color: 1.3/2.0 on the color scale (russet, muscat) Price: $15-20 MSRP (750mL), also comes in 1L From the Evan Williams website: Table Wine The nose leads with a hefty dollop of brown sugar and vanilla, with light notes of marshmallow and leather. Spain Williams emigrated to Kentucky from Wales and began distilling whiskey in 1783. German This makes 1783 Small Batch Bourbon the second highest proof in the Evan Williams Bourbon family. Evan Williams Black Label: is slightly sweeter on the nose. Black Label has a thinner mouthfeel and a gentler, less concentrated spice to the mouth. #3. Now and then, this jockeying results in the decision to redesign or repackage one of those products to attempt to refocus its position in the market, or on the shelf, and thats what were seeing today with a new version Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch. Vital Stats: Name: Evan Williams 'Black Label' Bourbon Age: NAS Proof: 86 Proof (43% ABV) Type: Kentucky straight bourbon Mashbill: 78% corn, 10% rye, 12% malted barley Producer: Heaven Hill Distillery, KY Well, bourbon 1 was the Evan Williams 1783 and bourbon 2 was the Evan Williams Black Label. Evan Williams is one of Kentuckys most prominent bourbon brands, with a portfolio that includes a multitude of bourbons, flavored whiskeys, and liqueurs. All in all, this profile says value in a way that a big distillery can offer, and a small distillery can never really hope to match. 1783 is an easy sipper at a price range in which bourbons tend to taste like nail polish. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch - Review Color: Brownish copper On the nose: Extremely similar to the Black Label, this is balanced upon a tripod of oak, stone, and metal. The mouth on Single Barrel (2013) shows more fruity and floral notes which follows into the finish. Scholarly publications with full text pdf download. Therefore, all the bourbon in the BIB is the same age while 1783 could have some older barrels mixed (although the majority is probably a little over 4 years). Commonly Fine is a blog about great beers, wines and spirits at great prices. Gin I believe HH dropped the age statement on the 1783 after the fire. That's because they all use the same mashbill for distillation; the differences come with the wood aging. You can follow him on Twitter for more drink writing. Want to support BourbonGuy.com? Charcoal filtered. Well, Evan Williams was born in Wales in 1755 and emigrated to the US in 1780. California Fruit notes here lean in more of a caramel apple direction, while the ethanol is very restrained, making this an effortless drinker. The wallet-friendly price and sweeter flavor profile also allows for easy guilt free cocktail experimentation. Distillery: Heaven Hill Age: 4 Years, according to the Heaven Hill website, though it is not mentioned on the specific Evan Williams site. The nuttiness initially fades away, but returns after a minute or two. This is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, matured for "four to five years" (I'll take the under) and bottled at 43%. Are you planning a trip to Kentucky Distilleries? Never seen a 10 year age stated one from the 2000s though. Washington Whiskey On the palate, the Evan Williamsfeels thinlacking in body, hits you withspice at first, that rapidly mellows out intohoney and vanilla, with just a bit of oak. That should be. Michters Rye vs Pikesville Rye: Head to Head! Vanilla, caramel, a hint of gingerbread, and candied dark fruit pour forth from the glass in a balanced array sweet scents. Buffalo Trace. All All in all, this profile says "value" in a way that a big distillery can offer, and. Made from a mash comprised of of 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley. 50% Alc/Vol (100 proof). The whiskey has been flavored with natural or artificial flavors, as well as a label that indicates the predominant flavour(s). New Belgium Of course, if you want to support BourbonGuy.com and get a little something back in return, you can always head over to BourbonGuyGifts.com and purchase some merch. 74. Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond If you had to pick one cheap bourbon for your bar, Evan Williams is a good choice and the BIB version is even better. The little bit of heat in bourbon 1 was not as pleasant as the softness of bourbon 2. Evan Wiliams contains more barley, whereas Ezra Brooks contains more rye. Cider Now is aged for just 4 years. Thoughts: This is a very pleasant, uncomplicated bourbon. Tasting Notes: Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Vital stats: Uses Heaven Hill's traditional bourbon mash bill of 78% corn, 12% malted barley, and 10% rye; made from 300 barrels or less, aged 6-8 years; 90 proof; about $20. With bourbon prices skyrocketing and limited releases hard to find, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch is a good reminder that sometimes you dont have to pay much to be pleased. Something to sip on while your attention is somewhere else. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon has the classic bourbon flavors, although with a fair amount of sweetness. Two, it's legitimately more flavorful and works better as a cocktail base. 2019 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Review, Four Roses Small Batch Select Bourbon Review, Four Roses 2018 Limited Edition Small Batch Review 130th Anniversary. There are a few facts worth knowing about the Evan Williams Single Barrel: Prices are approximate and stated in USD: I am a bar and liquor shop owner in Oaxaca, Mexico where I have tasted hundreds of different spirits; perhaps more than I should! This Heaven Hill whiskey brings. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Its times like these that Im glad its not my job to rationalize the subtle differences between half a dozen different bourbon brands. Free The finish is more gentle and shorter. Strength: 45% ABV/90 proof. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond: is sweeter on the nose showing more vanilla and chocolate. Did you enjoy this post? The differences come in factors of age, strength, barrel selection and the subtle art of blending, but there are still times when its a bit tough to look at the specs of two products and see why theyre treated significantly differently. But Evan Williams is a value brand. Small Town Brewery thats a tough one to beat! Craft I was familiar with EW BIB but had fallen out of love with it. Gluten Free The mouthfeel is thinner and the finish is shorter. Its not going to happen. Check out the rest of Evan Williams bourbon variants here. The product is aged for a minimum of four years (which is more than the two year minimum to be called 'straight' bourbon, but is the minimum requirement for a straight whiskey that does not have an age statement on the label). Evan Williams Kentucky Bourbon has been around since 1957 when the Heaven Hill Company and Distillery began producing the straight bourbon. Evan Williams Bonded, White Label (100 proof, $16) How about that?! After letting it sit for a 5-10 minutes the sour milk fades and is replaced by a sweet caramel much like bourbon 1. This product sits smack-dab in the middle of a crowded lineup of bourbons from Heaven Hill, and it simultaneously illustrates the distillerys ability to craft solid bourbon with budget pricing, but also the way that the distillerys lineup may simply have become a bit too myopically specialized. Evan Williams 1783 Info Region: Kentucky, USA Distiller: Heaven Hill Distillery Mashbill: 75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley Cask: new charred oak Age: NAS ABV: 43% Price: $15 Evan Williams 1783 Review EYE Leather NOSE Remarkably fruity with notes of honey, cornmeal, caramel syrup, dried dark fruit, artificial sweetener and peanuts. The Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is a bit harsh, with alcohol burn present from nose to finish, burns more than what you would expect from a 100 proof pour. Wente Europe Cabernet In the glass: beige. By that measure its a tremendous value for only $15. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond vs Evan Williams Single Barrel: Which Wins? The aroma is on the more basic side, however, it does its job just fine and adequately opens the sip. Mashbill: 78% Corn, 12% Malted Barley, 10% Rye. Green Label and Black Label are remarkably similar bourbons with only very slight differences between them. Press J to jump to the feed. I've never had anything else that comes close. But do you know why Heaven Hill named this line of bourbons after Evan Williams? Of course, sometimes you buy something just because you want to compare it to something else. It implies that a 10 point jump in proof equates to a 100% increase in MSRP, from $20 to $40, which seems a bit tough to accept. Quick Disclaimer: the 1783 bottle used in this article was provided for review purposes. Sadly those days have all but faded away and the death of the $20 bourbon (as we know it) is essentially here. Evan Williams vs Rebel Yell: Which Bourbon Wins? The Irreverent Home of Frugal Bourbon Drinkers Since 2012, Reviews: Other Whiskey (Not Bourbon or Rye), If You've Hadthe Evan Williams Edition, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Bourbon, 90 proof .