You just never know at this age level so we'll try to be prepared to make it a positive experience regardless of their level and ability.Since the score of the game might not be favorable, we are track some stats allowing each girl to have some success on the court. Great drills, I have been playing basketball for a while. We only started with them this past January. I have downloaded all of your free ebooks and published materials so far. I then track stats and sometimes set goals. This a very good basketball book for new, aspiring or even coaches with 2-3 years experience even if, like me, you are just a parent looking for ways to help your daughter take it to the next level. Receive 72 drills, 32 plays & 7 shooting workouts! Winning is like deodorant- it comes up and a lot of things don't stink. Should We Teach Basketball Skills To Players Under the Age of 10? And a truly skill PG has post skills. a truly skilled post player has PG skills. Online Top 20 BOYS Coaches Poll. Seems wrong, I was always taught discipline 1st, but I started to play late too, in 7th grade. That's going to be boring for the 10 players sitting on the bench and not enough minutes for kids to develop or learning anything. I was just curious to know if that's how they're usually taught. You could just ask if you could talk with them for a few minutes. Thanks a lot for all this information. She is in fifth grade and the only kid who did'nt play on the team last year. Ulrich, one of the state's top coaches over the past decade-plus, was recently named to coach the 2023 Indiana Senior All-Star team this summer for the annual series. I was unable to get a response to set up any practice time so what is your suggestion as to how to coach them during a game. Whether you are a seasoned coach looking to fine-tune your skills or a rookie eager to take the court running, you'll discover techniques for success that are tailored specifically to the needs of girls, including: can be a coaching winner and help bring out the best in your players, both on the court and in the game of life. Morale and attitude are the fundamentals of success. I have 7 girls ages 9-12 that have alot of heart for the game but need fundamentals! Good luck, This helps alot thanks! We call that denying the man the ball and I think its ok at times. It should not be about living out a Bobby Knight fantasy. About as close as we have come is working on spacing and picks. Rife is a Richlands High School alumnus who was highly successful as Richlands boys and girls basketball coach in the 1980s and 1990s. Consistent. "There are so many things that go into making a program successful and consistent," Ulrich said. She loves basketball. She made all kinds of plans - coached in two tournaments and even won one of them. Is it because they're only 10 and don't know what to do? She can certainly be a very good high school, college, and even pro player. For additions or corrections to this list, please email Norbert Durst . I notice that you said between the man and the ball. Keep up the GOOD work. Some of these items ship sooner than the others. The feeding high school issue is also a big problem. Just like anything if you emphasize and teach it, you can get lots of offensive rebounds. I guess it depends on how you define "good player". You have to invest the work and time into it to reap the rewards at the end. She was also the Phoenix Mercury's head coach and general manager in the WNBA. It's so gratifying to have that relationship with him. Win more games! Sandy Simpson has offered me a great deal of assistance in learning how to nurture and encourage the girls I coach, to help them develop as players, as teammates, and individuals. Only 2 kids are athletes, 2 others are my 4-5. Works on basics, and doesn't come across as a boy's book titled differently for girls. I limited the amount of dribbling they could do in a game - two dribbles then either shoot or pass. "This is not something that I was thinking about as a coach. If you are coaching high school basketball, you will be working with a lot of different personalities that each have various learning styles. The center of today might be the point guard of tomorrow.Teach everyone the fundamentals and how to play and then let them have FUN! Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! Anyone have any good advice on how to deal with this situation? Do they lack confidence? Please try your request again later. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Some read and get it. When Ranadiv becomes the coach of his daughter Anjali 's basketball team, he decides to behave as he would at workin a calm, measured manner. An additional problem is that we have a lack of gym availability in our school district and are limited to practice 3 days a week for 90 minutes each day.I have read various articles on this website and others regarding how to coach youth basketball, but feel that I need more than this to catch up with our opponents. league prior to that. In Coaching Girls' Basketball Successfully, veteran coach Jill Prudden explains the methods she has used to win more than 700 games and send dozens of female players to the collegiate level, including Olympian Jennifer Azzi. Also, you could start to teach players, same-leg same-shooting hand lay ups. People expect more of kids on playing fields than they do in their own homes. If they just see a little improvement each week and each month, even when losing according to the scoreboard, they stay positive and encouraged. It helps when someone else comes in and repeats some of the same things youve been saying, and its even better when I get to learn something by watching them. No the 5 out does not make it difficult to teach rebounds. This doesn't mean that you have to spend 45 minutes every practice on defense. If your team can learn to defend, it will keep you in games. Practice competitively. I coached 6-8th graders for 13 years and used mostly zones. because of my own ignorance of the game. Here's a good quote from one of Don Kelbick's posts on our forum. More:IHSAA girls basketball: Predicting 2023 Indiana All-Stars roster. Can I set up some sort of play module or what??? I am a young coach from Belgium, teaching kids from 13-14 years old and I just wanted to say that this site, all the info is great. I mean, I learned many a day by shooting, shooting, shooting, dribbling, dribbling, dribbling - constant repetition! Athletic & movement skills - Teach them how to run, jump and land, skip, stop, move laterally, squat, lunge and any other basic movements. Also, needs to be very simple and not overly long and complex. Publisher The girls love to do basketball [tag]drills[/tag] when they know there is a big carrot at the end of the stick. Coaching Women's Basketball With Pat Summit Bill Thom's Complete Youth Basketball Program Chapter 3: Essential Offensive Drills For Your Basketball Team Working along the lines of my previous point, you should always set aside time in your practice for both individual and team offensive drills. I love it, have a blast! Skills are the same no matter what age and the way he runs drills, different ages can work together. He has also held coaching positions at the University of Washington, George Washington Universtiy, and Washington State University, as well as a professional team in Germany. Oftentimes, you have to teach girls to be competitive, but you need to do it in a fun way. Sample Practice Plan for 11 to 14 year olds. -NBA Coach Doc Rivers. : Competitive. Of course the taller the better, but there are many other things that make up for a good basketball player. (It's not easy. If you are thinking about coaching, but just don't know what to do, get this book. Thank you for helping me teach them the game in a way I wouldn''t of been able to without your website and ebooks. I have found your material informative and helpful. You can't do it all (well I guess you can). I am coaching a 5th grade girls team. My daughter began playing basketball when she was 7 years-old. I am a mom/coach - I have played and watched basketball on and off for most of my adult life but am no expert. The Baltimore Banner reported on Friday that Ragsdale has been the head coach of the Loch Raven girls' varsity basketball team since the 2016-17 season. I coach middle school girls [tag]basketball[/tag] in Mount Hope West Virginia. Hi,You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. For my youth teams, all players learn the post, perimeter, and point guard positions. I know that if they are athletes, coordinated, and hard workers, then they have a real good chance to be as good at basketball as they want to be (even if the never play bball until middle school or high school). I'm a new coach and found this book an easy read, but packed with good tips and drills. However, on offense she is told to stay under the basket. They think their kids are gong to "fall behind.". When a father gets on the sideline, he thinks he becomes Phil Jackson. AAU Basketball Coach M14HOOPS Aurora, IL Estimated $38.9K - $49.2K a year Then I couch another girls team of 12 - 14 year olds for my older daughter. Although initiated June 23, 1972 , to date, there is still a huge disparity as it pertains to the intentions of Title IX. Mike Flanagan stepped down as the head coach at Black Hawk after 15 years at the helm. She will be assisted by Garrett coach Bob Lapadot and Triton Central coach Bryan Graham. They have new coaches this year. She guided the Kingsmen to a 16-7 mark this past season. "There are just so many people who have played a part in this, from all of my assistant coaches to our administration to all of our players and their parents and my family. The annual award has been presented . It might shed light on the issue that we all face with young kids"Just about everyone who gets involved with youth sports has good intentions. Richlands head coach Tom Rife was captured on video jumping over the team's bench and confronting a male spectator during the final seconds of his team's 54-51 loss to Wise Central. MadH-How right you are, teach ALL kids ALL the fundamentals of the game. She has guided the Kingsmen to 11 sectionals, six regionals and three semistates. Michael,This is what I would doDevelop a great man to man defense. At your level its not about Ws and Ls its all about FUNDAMENTALS.. your players and parents need to understand this.. back you and your team/players and cheer for the good things they do.Good luck and I hope things work out for you and your players/team. Coach Ted Arlinghaus discusses what Holy Cross girls basketball players have done to raise the bar and make the state take notice. : We want to introduce one more training a week which would be on the day when he already has a training session. With a really young team this year, here's what I didWe often play teams that are older and/or much better than us. Ross Hart. Focus needs to be on developing fundamental basketball skills; stance, footwork, dribbling, passing and shooting. Thank you Jeff, I appreciate the encouragement and the link. This book is great for girl coaches from new to experienced. I have a twins 7years and a half, boy and girl,Can you advice me if it is better to do one sport or 2 different sports for them, (2 practices basketball or 1 practice basketball and another sport) because I read that multiple sport is better for less injuries and to aquire more skills at this age.Best regards Ziad. Generally the youth rules are on a local league level and vary from league to league.With that said, I think 8-9 players on a roster is just about right. So my advice would be to worry less about catching up and more with a good well rounded athletic development. Assistant Golf Coach ~ Assistant Swim & Dive Coach: [email protected]: Vic Rimmer: Head Girls' Basketball Coach : [email protected]: Jordan Rose: Assistant Girls' Basketball; Freshmen White: [email protected]: Brooke Schafer: Freshmen Girls' Cross Country ~ Assistant Track: [email protected]: Greg Spivey: Assistant Tennis : Brad . You can also start to introduce more. None of the girls will move to help out the point guard if she gets double teamed because of this instruction to abide by the play. The young girls in basketball gear with faces painted blue and white. Subscribe to our free monthly newsletter to receive new drills, plays, scoring tips and coaching strategies, Reviewed in the United States on January 13, 2007. Girls also enjoy when coaches joke around and participate in the practice activities. Do you want them stutter-stepping to give the defense time to recover and contest the shot? Well done guys, keep it up! So not to say the book is all bad, but buyer beware, Reviewed in the United States on August 15, 2015. Is there too much defensive pressure on them? Rambler Football is Going to State! I'll be coaching both bantam (K-2) and 5-6 grade boys teams this winter and I was struggling determining how much to differentiate between the two age groups. With 15 players on a team each player only gets 13 minutes in a 40 minute game. Please try again. , Paperback If you want to get them ready for 7th grade, don't worry about winning now. Just say, "Hey coach, I was just wondering what I could do to help get my son and even other players on the team more playing time. I am a competitive person and find it frustrating that we are having difficulty being competitive. Offense - keep playing 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 to teach concepts. Indiana Basketball Coaches Association. Lay ups - practice contested lay ups. Try again. It can be tough to tell a coach what to do without upsetting them. =D. I didn't want to disappoint either child so I'm coaching 1st/2nd boys and 3rd/4th girls - these tips and practice plans are a lifesaver! , Language Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. If she develops in those areas. she will be successful later in basketball or whatever she choses to pursue. Joe, to answer your question, they're 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, and it looks like I've been approaching my 1st year of coaching wrong, based on the responses on this site - focus on fun first, and the rest will develop. "I'm honored and humbled that my peers and the people associated with the All-Star team think I would be a great fit for this.". I know what you are saying, I was there too.. teams around us were practicing well before the season started - it took us till Christmas time to catch up. talked to my AD about it and his reply was, "Don't you feel better about following the rules?" I was going to let loose on the coaches but I thought I would hold off and seek advice. This is a life saver!!!! Fourteen minus zero is equal to? I do teach them the same fundamental skills but with less intensity and volume for the younger ones. Boys Basketball Head Coach-Varsity Phone: 281-237-2899 Nick Flora Boys Basketball Head Freshman A Coach Phone: 281-237-9134 Wes Kohl Boys Basketball 1st Asst/Sophomore Coach Phone: 281-237-1421 Joshua May BOYS BASKETBALL JV COACH Alex Barton Boys Basketball Freshman B Coach Girls Basketball Angela Spurlock Girls Basketball Head Coach From Ali Any thoughts?Dave Smith858-342-3166. However, most of the people (MOST NOT ALL!) have been taught repeatedly. "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of us. This is great. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me. She doesn't understand positioning on offense or defense and even asked me "can I smack the ball if the other team is shooting?" THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH TO READ! So how can you get there? I'm 16 and I am teaching a basketball camp over the summer and I wanted to know what I should teach younger kids becuz I've played for 11 years but have played varsity ball so much haha I wanted to get back to the basics so thanks! , Item Weight b. Resource: Progressive Youth Ball Handling & Footwork Workouts App. The head coach will be responsible for the overall coordination and leadership of the girls basketball program and must possess strong communication, organization, and leadership skills. Penn ended its season with a 59-52 loss to eventual sectional champion Northridge in the Concord Sectional opener, ending the Kingsmen's sectional title streak at five in a row. Good luck and hope this helps. Learn more about the program. Coach Steve Regina, Saskatchewan Canada, Thank you very much for all of the help and iformation on what to teach youth basetball. Youth sports is about developing skills and fun. Roman - I hate to answer a question with a question but Why are your players freezing up? It also encourages them to hustle. Play soccer, gymnastics, swimming, martial arts, and flag football seasonally. High School and Middle School. The effort, pride, and enjoyment on the girls' faces are great rewards for parents and often the signs of a good coach the type of coach you want to be. (Prevents Spam). With John Stamos, Jessalyn Gilsig, Sophia Mitri Schloss, Nell Verlaque. Currently 5.00/5 Stars. The coaching dashboard also allows you to monitor multiple players or your whole team. The other kids who were playing but not touching the ball were starting to fight with the ball hogs. With my own children I'm more concerned with their athletic development, coordination, and mental development. In addition as a coach you also want to help the young player develop a love and passion for the game. The boys had 15 on the roster last year. MISHAWAKA Passionate. I always like to be very disciplined the first week. Tell the coach about the studies of 3on3, touching the ball more often, etc. She''s in love with it now but has some catching up to do and I was quite sure where to start or what to exactly work on to get her confidence up. Please try again. Running a programme with our local b'ball association called "Rising Stars" which aims to teach the basics to children aged 5 to 10 yrs so that when they start in our local comp we hope they will have an understanding of the game and enough basic skills to be confident on the court. When I can afford it I will definitely purchase some of your products.