The home of Doug and Barb Schan at 1521 Cameo Drive in North Tustin is one of many homes in the area built in what is called Cinderella style of architecture by Jean Vandruff, designer and. Theyve stood the test of time, says Lukather. If you live in a Cinderella Home today, or once upon a time, we would love to hear about your personal experience living there. an essay you apply against each other, the whole lot is plainly purr-fect.Reheating and also comes in suitable by working with simple understand assistance, which are often completed with the main microwave oven, pot, or maybe on any stove-top. NOTE: Book is available at a discount for schools, libraries, museums and other nonprofits. Amazon Pauses Construction on Second Headquarters in Virginia as It Cuts Jobs, iPhone Maker Plans $700 Million India Plant in Shift From China, Amazon Is Closing Its Cashierless Stores in NYC, San Francisco and Seattle, Stock Traders Are Ignoring Blaring Bond Alarms, S&P 500 Notches Best Week Since Late January: Markets Wrap. This is for ori, who asked about the Swiss/German home styles in OC. I never thought them German. Borrowing at least one element from modernism, Vandruff gave his Cinderella homes open living spaces, to encourage conversation between residents. Normally I hear these homes referred to as Swiss Chalet or Storybook style homes. They looked rundown. People came from everywhere to see it, lining up out into the street to come in. This operation lasted about six years before the appeal dwindled away. You want a $24,000 home, the brochure reads. Phone: Cell/Mobile/Wireless and/or landline telephone numbers for Maurice Herron in Anaheim, CA. Expert advice on how to deal with slow repairs and weird move-out notices. I am currently doing a period "restoration" of my Cinderella home. After serving his country, settling in Downey and buying the familys first house with his veterans benefits, Vandruff later helped his brother Shannon build a family home. These were popular pop culture themes of the day, and Disneyland reflected that also. These vintage treasures are from my many & varied collections, now for sale. By far the best seller was the Alpine bungalow that had an influence on home styles here. Designed and built by Jean Vandruff in the 1950s and '60s, these homes were characterized by their elegance, charm and comfort. We closed the deal on the final day of our being able to retain the land. The multiple listing data appearing on this website, or contained in reports produced therefrom, is owned and copyrighted by California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. ("CRMLS") and is protected by all applicable copyright laws. Cinderella homes are a whimsical variation on traditional tract homes that turn suburban neighborhoods into storybook lands, complete with swooping gables, shake shingle roofs, and faux medieval designs. The shrubbery should be removed and replaced with new plantings. Knowing that they are both in great shape is great news! Includes many vintage color and B&W photographs. Jean didnt like modern, says Lukather. Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel: Cinderella's home away from Disneyland - See 2,228 traveler reviews, 823 candid photos, and great deals for Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel at Tripadvisor. Vintage New Year's Eve Postcards & Party Photos, Got the Income Tax Blues? There must've been some Germans who named Anaheim, because it means "Anna's Home". Schan said she and her husband replaced the original windows because they were so leaky and didnt last, but otherwise have kept details like the yellow sink and bathtub in one bathroom. He didnt like the glass and steel; he wanted a warm homey environment for families to live in.. After we started the second development, containing 701 homes, we didn't have enough to meet the desires of over 1,000 people, so we decided to separate out those who really wanted a Cinderella Home from those who weren't quite so motivated. Celebrate the history of these charming, magical homes. These were storybook homes, designed through and through to appeal to the nuclear family at the dawn of the Atomic Age. we could see disneyland fireworks from our backyard at 9 pm every night. I drove past a few near Disneyland last year. His son, Gary, built homes in a similarstyle. It probably took about 5 months to build. Will Others Follow? There were the famous Eichler Homes, the bungalows, the Craftsman style homes, tract homes with seemingly no distinct feature, etc. . All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. The first Cinderella Ranch was a custom home constructed by Jean Valjean Vandruff, a builder who born in 1922 with Scotch-Irish and Pennsylvania-Dutch bloodlines who had served in World War II. I also provide a consulting service for like-minded owners who would like to do the same. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information. No way! In fact, it was a single house in the Los Angeles suburb of Downey, California (home of the, He found he liked the experience and, according to his own, The Story Behind Storybook Architecture, The Birdhouse Ranch, Another Twist on the Ranch House . They predated Disneyland and were whimsical in design to offer post WWII buyers a "fairy tale" dream of home ownership. You don't have to go far to find them. I have your answer Lori. I have been in contact with Mr Vandruff. The ultimate filming location map to 'La La Land'. Zillow, Inc. holds real estate brokerage licenses in multiple states. My wife, Eleanor, saw me designing it and said it should be a home for Cinderella - a magic moment. Apparently it was a bigdeal in the 1950s. 3 bed, 2.0 bath, 2,402 sq ft home at 2152 S Vern St, Anaheim, CA 92802. It was 200' long and 40' high, beside the Santa Ana Freeway - impossible to drive the freeway without seeing it! HOMES that are the SENSATION of the nation's HOME BUILDING NO wonder Home Building Authorities have been amazed at the Of Cinderella Homes they actually do look $ 7000 more than you with THE VANDRUFF BROTHERS PLEDGE THEMSELVES TO THIS DECLARATION: 3/4 BATH NOTE THIS: Cinderella Plans and exterior designs have been copyrlghted by VA NOR UFF HOMES. Past Addresses: Homes, Rental Properties, businesses, apartments, condos and/or other real estate associated with Fabian Rodriguez in Long Beach, CA. When the sun came up, we had sold over 200 homes. A 'Cinderella Home' in Bellhaven, Albuquerque, New Mexico. The size is 8.5x11 inches. Disney did offer to rebuild/redesign downtown Anaheim with a Bavarian theme but his offer was rejected. About the ratings: GreatSchools ratings are based on a comparison of test results for all schools in the state. Check with the applicable school district prior to making a decision based on these boundaries. The trademarks MLS, Multiple Listing Service and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Designed and built by Jean Vandruff in the 1950s and '60s, these homes were characterized by their elegance, charm and comfort. These homes were built in many areas, including (but not limited to): Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Tustin, Pomona, Claremont, Goleta, Lodi, Stockton, Sylmar, Mission Hills, Northridge, Chatsworth & Canoga Park (2 tracts). We are continuously working to improve the accessibility of our web experience for everyone, and we welcome feedback and accommodation requests. Cinderella Ranch Features Include: Steep gables Gingerbread trim Single story Horizontal orientation 3 Beds. (Photo by Mark Rightmire, Orange County Register/SCNG), The home at 13171 Hickory Branch Road in Tustin is one of many homes in the area built in what is called, Cinderella style of architecture, on Tuesday, July 23, 2019. Format: Softcover, perfect bound, 10x10 inches, 120 pages. When people come to visit, they always feel very comfortable.. The style became an iconic mid-century design. I do remember those houses. If the only thing you know about sports is who wins and who loses, you are missing the highest stakes action of all. "As McDonalds Golden Arches has to be the most renowned structure and business in Downey, the Cinderella Home was surely the most renowned residence.. Innovative at the time, Cinderella Homes combined the aesthetic and quality of a custom-built home into a tract home developmentat a price families could afford. Brokerage. One day Shannon said, "Jean, instead of building custom homes, we really should be building tract homes. These German/Dutch style houses were built in 1955- thru 1959, by a contractor company called Cinderella Homes. (Photo by Brittany Murray, Press Telegram/SCNG). It incorporated kitchens with cut-out windows so housewives could watch their children play, and colorful kitchens and baths. Our home was built in the late 50's around the time of Disneyland. As we were under construction, we had hundreds of people stopping by to ask when the homes would be for sale. The houses in the track were called "Cinderella Homes" and featured Disneyland like details. My old home, in Costa Mesa, artistically interpreted. Cinderella homes can also be found in parts of Placentia. After seeing the house in its completed form, Vandruffs wife commented that it looked like a home Cinderella would live inand the name stayed. One lending institution after another said, "If you were going to build 10, 20, even 50 homes, we might go along with you, but 168? 2023 The MLS - Combined L.A. Westside MLS (CLAW). Its sort of this storybook home quality that harkens back to medieval times, and French and English country homes, said author Christian Lukather, whos writing a book about the homes. These homes were built in many areas, including (but not limited to): Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Tustin, Pomona, Claremont, Goleta, Lodi, Stockton, Sylmar, Mission Hills, Northridge, Chatsworth & Canoga Park (2 tracts). About This Home This lovely 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom Anaheim pool home is reminiscent of the charming 1956 "Cinderella Homes" designed by the Vanderuff Brothers, iconic to a few neighborhoods in Southern California. These homes were so popular that they threatened to put other home builders out of business. As recognizable as they may have been at the time, he says many current owners dont realize they live in a Cinderella home. It has a nice pool to take a break from the heat in and 5 bedrooms which can hold 13 guests. This program was originally scheduled for March but was postponed due to COVID. DOWNEY Downey resident Kathy Perez did some research after reading an article that the first Cinderalla Home built by Jean Valjean VanDruff in 1954 was located in Downey. PLUS - Printed full color copy of 1956 promotion brochure, 12 pages. She now writes the Frumpy Middle-Age Mom humor column that appears in the Orange County Register weekly. Disclaimer: School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Pitney Bowes and are subject to change. Read all about it here. A brochure from the era shows 17 different designs available. My grandfather's house also had these Swiss chalet stylings. He said his wife, Eleanor, was responsible for the name. Byrdis often credited as the inventor of theCaliforniaRanch Style of Architecture. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Many were built in the west San Fernando Valley alsohttp://www.sfvalleyblog.com/2012/04/cinderella-homes-of-san-fernando-valley.html, Remember all those orange trees you used to see in anaheim in groves were originally german farmers groves, Kitty almost understands that his well known Great Moggy toaster is big an adequate amount of to take the lustrous slices along with make yet bagels (while you usually make your Hola Pet cat mark on the these kind of!) There are many other "Cinderella" tracts throughout SoCal & the western states. The garage doors had " jousting poles". Costa Mesa has its own set of Cinderella homes in the College Park neighborhood. "So, actually Kathy, there is only one Cinderella Home in Downey. I own 525 Cinderella Dr. Homes similar to 525 Cinderella Dr are listed between $515K to $875K at an average of $435 per square foot. I hope that we can move forward and do whatever we can to make sure that this renowned residence is celebrated and protected from alteration and demolition. (Photo by Brittany Murray, Press Telegram/SCNG), This Lubec Street house in Downey photographed in 2017 was significant as an early example of a Cinderella House, a local style of postwar architecture. Money became extremely tight, and we were unable to procure permanent loans (VA & FHA) for our buyers. Almost all of the exterior features in my neighborhood remain unchanged. They were mostly bought from people coming back from WWII, from all over the country. If you drive down Harbor Blvd in Anaheim (an old German colony) you can see a dozen motels near Disneyland that look to house Heidi and her grasndfather. 2 Baths. Cinderella Homes were first built in Anaheim, CA. On our block, weve made the least amount of changes to the house, Barb Schan said. Individual building sites are becoming terribly hard to obtain, and the "boxes" that are presently being sold as tract homes are a disgrace to the profession." Find 394 homes for sale in Umatilla County with a median listing home price of $325,000. These magical, well-built homes are still popular today. I love everything about antiquing, collecting, and selling. Color and black & white photos and illustrations. The success and interest this model generated initiated his venture into tract home building and a subsequent franchise deal that facilitated his Cinderella Homes being built around the country. The shrubbery is TERRIBLY overgrown, and the roof just doesnt have the soft, wonderful character that the cedar shakes had. nice homes. Welcome to this charming Cinderella home on a quiet neighborhoo. Here is an item advertising "Cinderella Homes", which I hadnever heard of, even though they were located just a couple of miles from where I lived. ft. house located at 2863 W Devoy Dr, Anaheim, CA 92804 sold for $800,000 on Aug 26, 2021. Some properties which appear for sale on this web site may subsequently have sold or may no longer be available. The business owners that power this multibillion dollar industry are changing, and a new era of the business of sports is underway. The company announced their return today via a cute video on Comic-Con International's social media accounts, which promises they have "so much to show you" including exclusives for Funko and . Even now that I've been gone 25 years, when I visit Orange County and drive by these houses it feels like going home. Often they are equipped with diamond-paned windows, whimsically decorated shutters, and cartoonish lances crossed across the garage door. One blog touts neighborhoods of such houses in Albuquerque and Oklahoma City. Designer Jean Vandruff, whos now 97 and lives in Westminster, built his first Cinderella Home on Lubec Street in Downey in 1954. They knew it was a Cinderella home because her husband grew up in one in West Covina. Mr J V Vandruff is now 90 years young & still going strong. orange groves down the street and Japanese growers sold tomatoes by the lug and strawberries down the street. The content relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the IDX program of the RMLS of Portland, Oregon. I'm a born-and-raised California Girl, which changed when, after visiting hubby's family back here in Ohio, we got hooked on antiques. The true story behind the original Cinderella Homes. I had a number of friends who lived in these tract homes. Cinderella Homes were first built in Anaheim, CA. But the Lord intervened, and he found an old gentleman who ran Hollywood First Federal S&L. He said, "I like your designs, I like your perfect credit record, I like your past performance, and I'm going to go along with you." 320 N Park Vista St SPACE 9, Anaheim, CA 92806 KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY $169,000 4 bds 2 ba Magical Home Living I could "smell" nearby Cypress because of the proliferation of Dutch dairy farms. For listings in Canada, the trademarks REALTOR, REALTORS, and the REALTOR logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. All listing data, including but not limited to square footage and lot size is believed to be accurate, but the listing Agent, listing Broker and CRMLS and its affiliates do not warrant or guarantee such accuracy. Get ready, Funatics, because Funko is returning with WonderCon Anaheim 2023 with the Funko "Funhouse". This Southern California home is placed in a quiet family neighborhood, 1 mile from Disneyland, among the original 1950's Cinderella Homes. All rights reserved. ft. 3 bedroom, 2 bath home is one of a kind. They are easily recognizable thanks to their gables and gingerbread trim. The Prince is a must-visit for film lovers. extensively clean the edges inside the car door precisely. Retailers Fear High-Flying US Consumers Are Falling Back to Earth, In Blacklisting Inspur, US Targets Partner Used by Intel and IBM, OpenAI Rival Stable Diffusion Maker Seeks to Raise Funds at $4 Billion Valuation, Alphabet Must Negotiate If Contract Staff Unionize, Labor Board Official Rules, Between Rounds of Golf, Trumps Searching for the Perfect DeSantis Diss, Your Saturday UK Briefing: Sunak Chalks Up a Win as the Budget Looms, Harrods Shrugs Off Recession Fears as Rich Get Richer, FT Says, Wealthy NYC Family Feuds Over $258 Million Madison Avenue Sale, Tom Sizemore, 'Saving Private Ryan' Actor, Dies at 61, The Exhibit Reality TV Show PittingArtist Against ArtistIs No Masterpiece. Most everyone thought we were crazy dreamers. The first tract sold out in three days, Lukather says. All data, including all measurements and calculations of area, is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MLS. In addition to the licensed homes, other developers also picked up on the popularity of the design, and began incorporating it into their houses. When they outlawed the shingle roof in the 1960s, that spelled the end of these homes, Lukather said. Encouraged by the success, Vandruff and his brother decided it was time to expand from one-off homes to the housing tracts that were blanketing Southern California as the post-War population boomed. 2008-2020 and beyond! (Photo by Mark Rightmire, Orange County Register/SCNG), The kitchen cupboards in the home of Doug and Barb Schan in North Tustin. Ft. 7713 E Viewrim Dr, Anaheim Hills, CA 92808 Anaheim Home for Sale: Welcome home to this gorgeous condo in the sought after community of Summit Court located at 1258 S Country Glen Way, Anaheim Hills. They were also built throughout the state of California, as well as in Nevada, Kansas and Texas (& Arizona). (Photo by Mark Rightmire, Orange County Register/SCNG), Barb Schan of North Tustin stands in the kitchen of her home. Our kitchen cabinets are original and I like the details on them., Creator Jean Vandruff has visited their home, she said. 722 wasco road. all houses had a fruiting orange tree in their backyard. This content last updated on 2023-03-04 05:27:03 PST. The median price for one of these houses new was 30,000.00 They bid on contracts to build tract housing in many suburbs all over southern california, not just Orange County. They secured 40 acres in Anaheim, where Disneyland was then under construction. I live in one of the early franchised Cinderella tracts (Cinderella Estates, Canoga Park CA) which was franchised to & built by the same builder as the Costa Mesa tract, Roven & Spiegel Construction Co. Learn more. They are easily recognizable thanks to their gables and gingerbread trim. This 12-page brochure is a full color reproduction of the original brochure printed in 1956. Zillow (Canada), Inc. holds real estate brokerage licenses in multiple provinces. 442-H New York Standard Operating Procedures New York Fair Housing NoticeTREC: Information about brokerage services, Consumer protection noticeCalifornia DRE #1522444Contact Zillow, Inc. Once upon a time, even before Disneyland, Cinderella had her own housing tracts in Anaheim, Tustin, Costa Mesa, Placentia, and the San Fernando Valley. Over 6,000 homes were built. "I enjoyed it so much, I dropped out of school and concentrated on home building. Cinderella is homeless, Ariel 'can't afford to live on land': Disney under fire for pay Activists protest Disneyland's low wages saying it contributes to homelessness, after custodian living in. WGN Radio's Dave Plier talks to two Plan Disney's Tishra and Ashley about the unique experiences at Disneyland in Anaheim CA as they celebrate the Disney company's 100th anniversary, and Disney World in Orlando FL as they wrap their celebration of the park's 50th anniversary. Theyre sort of like European cottages, but theyre tract homes. Drive to "The Happiest Place on Earth" in just 5 minutes from this fantastically located home. A lot of the interiors had colorful baths. Contact for details. Weve always loved the home. With a degree in Engineering from USC, Mike built homes just like his father. In all modesty, I did contribute some wonderful homes to the city of Downey, but they were before the Cinderella sensation.. After all these years, the buried light fixture is probably no good. While writing the book, he toured many of the tracts where the homes were built with Vandruff himself (now 97), and spoke to some of the people who own them. Some even had faux birdhouse-like holes cut in the higher gables. Our daughters sink and tub in her bathroom are yellow. On April 15th, The Tax Man Cometh and Taketh, Lima Meat Packing Company Construction 1906 Photo / Lima Ohio Company History, My Vintage Hard Plastic Easter Toys Candy Container Collection, Kentucky Derby Day the Vintage Way ~ Collecting Kentucky Derby Glasses, Hats, Toys, and Horse Racing History Books, Springfield Extravaganza May 2012 Antique Show Photo Album #Vintage, King Burger Drive In Restaurant ~1956-1976 Lima Ohio ~ History in a Vintage Drinking Glass. (Photo by Mark Rightmire, Orange County Register/SCNG), The home at 13172 Brittany Woods If you had a little money, you could buy a custom home. She called them" birdhouses". I heartily agreed, and we started plans for mass development of "Cinderella Homes.". Some are still there. It is one of many homes in the area built in the Cinderella style of architecture, on Tuesday, July 23, 2019. Many of them ended up imitating the Cinderella style. Zillow has 18 homes for sale in Umatilla OR. This Airbnb Anaheim home is about a 20-minute walk to the park, which is actually way quicker and more convenient than trying to park. Youve probably seen one of these houses, but didnt even know it had a fairy-tale background. After a few years of buying vintage treasures back here, and taking them home to California to sell, we decided to move to Ohio to be antiques dealers. About Videos News. Demand was such that he began to license the design to other builders and estimates some 6,000 of them were built in places like Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Placentia, Tustin, Canoga Park and elsewhere in the San Fernando Valley, and as far away as Kansas and Texas. Cinderella Homes: Fairy Tale Tracts in Suburban O.C. Used under license. $584,800. Today, as the houses age and need repairs, many have been modernized and had their custom features removed, rendering them indistinguishable from other tract houses of the era. I also incorporated curves whenever possible which lent a more feminine touch to offset other masculine features such as brick fireplaces and planters.. These were going to be available for $14,000, with 4% VA loans. That was in the late sixties. Apply to be a Dealer Terms & Conditions E-Catalogs Builders & Remodelers Cleaning & Care. Copyright 2023 The Downey Patriot Newspaper. Today, Cinderella Ranches are a part of Southern California's architectural heritage, specifically with large numbers in Orange and Los Angeles counties. When it was a success, he never went back to school. Just in time to schedule a spooky Halloween staycation, a guide to the paranormally-blessed hotels of Los Angeles. (Photo courtesy of Jean Vandruff), An original sales brochure for Cinderella Homes. This story starts in 1954 in Downey, California, just outside Los Angeles, where Jean Valjean Vandruff built his first Cinderella Home. foot with 3-bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, a quiet backyard and a gated, salt water pool, available at all times (not heated). This house on Lubec Street in Downey was reportedly the first ever built in the Cinderella Home style that became a popular craze in the 1950s. My mom disliked the design. - James Hambly, College Park, Costa Mesa ( just off of Harbor Blvd. all homes were 3 bedroom and 1 3/4 bath. In fact, it was a single house in the Los Angeles suburb of Downey, California (home of the Carpenters and later James Hetfield of Metallica) and happened quite by chance. Normally, this would have been an impossibility in one single locality, but housing starts were in a deep slump, and there was an abundance of tradesmen and material available. The true story behind the original Cinderella Homes. Anaheim, California, USA | Phone: 949 . We estimated that about 35,000 people came to see that home, but in the meantime, my brother and I decided to quit custom building and go into tract building.The fantastic success of that home helped us to accomplishit, our first tract having 168 homes in west Anaheim in 1955. BOOKSTORES: Discount available when ordering multiple copies. Book Available Here! If you wish to report an issue or seek an accommodation, please let us know. A Byrd home featured natural materials that lent them a comfortable, symbiotic and timeless ambience. Found in the San Fernando Valley, Orange County, Santa Barbara, and beyond, these Cinderella homes were designed in the 1950s by homebuilder Jean Vandruff, who studied architecture at USC in the 1940s. And the decisions they make have huge consequences, not just for the bottom line, but for communities, cities, even entire countries. The ranch design appealed to people hungry for suburban housing after World War II, looking for style on a small budget. Other themes included Polynesian (my favorite), Asian, Ranch/Western, and Modern. Insight and analysis of top stories from our award winning magazine "Bloomberg Businessweek". There were a lot of imitators, said Lukather, who has a website called TheCinderellaHome.com. People camped out overnight to get them, Lukather said. It would be a $200 million operation today. . Freelance Writing to Fit your Companys Needs, What is known as the Cinderella Ranch started on a small scale. Every home I ever designed was open-concept because I have always believed that communication is one of the primary keys to a successful marriage and a happy family, Vandruff wrote. Although nowadays many of the original homes are being modernized out of existence, some aspects seemed ahead of their times. For listings in Canada, the trademarks REALTOR, REALTORS, and the REALTOR logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. This Supreme Court Case Could Redefine Crime, YellowstoneBackers Wanted to Cash OutThen the Streaming Bubble Burst, How Countries Leading on Early Years of Child Care Get It Right, Female Execs Are Exhausted, Frustrated and Heading for the Exits, No Major Offer Expected on Childcare in UK Budget, Biden Gives Medal of Honor to Trailblazing Special Forces Member, Climate Change Is Launching a MutantSeed Space Race, UK Braces for Rare Weather Event That Risks Late-Winter Freeze, What Do You Want to See in a Covid Memorial? Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, 442-H New York Standard Operating Procedures. Photo: Author Chris Lukather, with Mid-century pop culture expert and author, Charles Phoenix. The shutters on the windows had shields Camelot like. Sadly, many people removed them as years went by, possibly thinking they looked strange or provincial. All fairy tales fade. The thing on the lawn, beside the driveway, is a unique Palos Verdes planter and big decorative hanging light fixture, but you would never know it. The article, titled The Fading Romance of Americas Cinderalla Homes, was published last week on CityLab.com, a publication of The Atlantic. It was quite a beautiful feature when it was new. One of my friends and I could get on his roof easily by using the low eave near the front door. Disclaimer: School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Pitney Bowes and are subject to change. Its titled The Cinderella Homes of Jean Vandruff: Fairy-tale tracts of the suburbs.. (Photo by Brittany Murray, Press Telegram/SCNG), The home at 832 Bent Twig Lane in Tustin is one of many homes in the area built in what is called, Cinderella style of architecture, on Tuesday, July 23, 2019. My grandfather bought the house after coming back from WWII, working for Hughes Aircraft in Venice and being sent to Hughes in Irvine, moved to Costa Mesa, 1957. There were many builders who wanted to use our plans, especially in the San Fernando Valley, so we started a franchise program, licensing other builders to use our copyrighted plans, specifications, lumber lists, hardware lists, color schemes, advertising formats, contract forms, and the name, "Cinderella Homes."