If there are imperfections in the structure of your roof, then black shingles can help to create a seamless visual aesthetic. Keep in mind that darker roof colors can also draw more heat into the homea bonus or a drawback, depending on your local climate. I guess with all the storms weve had, its not surprising that many homeowners are looking to replace their damaged roof. Notice the modern one on the right chose a metal roof, which is also a popular choice, but more costly. 7. The black inlay around the doorframe mimics the shutters. 4. Some black roof shingles might not have a longer lifespan. Although some manufacturers say that their comparative studies of light vs. dark shingles saw no difference between the two for the products overall lifespan, there is some information that disputes this notion. 10. Consider solid red brick for your house with a black roof. My apologies for missing your comment. Since black roof shingles absorb the energy from the sun, you lose the option to reflect the sunlight to create a cooler attic. I am in the middle of this difficult decision. They too were baffled by all the color choices! More about Owens Corning. There are a multitude of colors and shading levels from which to choose, so chose wisely. Youll find that Modern Farmhouse, Georgian, and Colonial homes most commonly have black shingle roofs. It is a ranch with a 6/12 pitch with some gables on the front. I hope you found the perfect color roof shingle for your home too!! I kept asking the roofer, dont you have any grey? She does consults all over the world and I know would be able to help you, if she has the time. If you find it difficult to visualize what your home will look like, use Pinnacle Sun Shingles Pinnacle Sun shingles are more than just a cool roof solution. This will tone down the exterior design and help balance the bold colors with the neutral ones. 5. My point here is that the roofing industry has changed its look. If UV rays play a bigger role in the length of your investment, you come out behind there still too. And heres what it will REALLY look like on a roof below. Enter your zip code, and well customize this site to show you the unique combination of James Hardie fiber cement products and ColorPlus colors available near you. Hi Wynne. Pure white exterior paint keeps the black roof from feeling too heavy. If neutral colors lack visual interest, investigate earth-tone shingles. Without seeing your home (although feel free to email me an image at [email protected]) I would select the darker gray tone, Williamsburg. My roof is in okay condition and may have another 1-2 yrs left, but my gutters definitely need replacing ASAP and its hard to pick an aluminum eavestrough colour if I dont know what shingle Im going with. Shingles typically last for 25 years, so consult with a professional before making the final decision. Hunter Green and Off-White House With White Detail, 13. Also, most roofers prefer the roof is changed first, which I understand. My problem, however, was very similar to the year I needed to purchase a red blouse to go with this wonderful light blue patterned skirt I bought with a touch of red in it. Have questions? Our first example is a modern take on the classic farmhouse design. Roofing maintenance is not optional when you own a historic home. Updating Your Kitchen Range? Hi Shelly. For example, if your home has a warm-colored roof in a shade such as brick red or rusty tan, pick siding in a similarly warm shade such as tan, beige or brown. A black door and shutters take center stage while red brick chimneys echo the red brick steps leading up to the house. Natural color roofs are a safer selection (if resale is anywhere in the horizon). Pairing your black roof with yellow works on any style of home. You can then layer each shingle so that you receive an almost three-dimensional look for your house. Great post! With protection against damaging high winds and black streaks caused by algae, you're investing in a roofing system that has lasting curb appeal, and the peace of mind that comes with it. And do I really have a choice? You can pattern black squares with slightly lighter tones to create visual variety at the top of the structure when your exterior is a solid tone all around. On our list, we had to include a classic colonial house in white. In all the pictures it looks gray but when I got the sample it has little brown dots throughout! You can go with a contrasting look if you prefer, or you can keep things to deeper hues if thats your preference. Oakridge Shingles - Artisan Colors - Twilight Black. Roof is by Timberline; color is Barkwood. Need a roof repair in Alexandria VA? Your rendering was not attached, but I from what you describe it seems like you have some great choices. If you have reviewed the pros and cons of black roof shingles and feel that asphalt is the best option to consider, then there are several brands to review. So I think for your choice between the two, its a choice between a lighter gray or a darker gray. Yes, its helpful to look up really close. You can install black roof shingles on almost any structure. So if you are considering a new roof color, and you live in a moderate to a cold region, then a black roof is the ideal choice! Stylish - Modern home profiles include black roof shingles, popular with younger buyers. I agree the Onyx Black is just too dark and feels heavy. Who would have known? I think Estate gray has a more consistent color and is a little lighter. Black Sable, Sand Dune, Storm Cloud and Summer Harvest are the newest shingle colors to join the Duration FLEX family, fusing the power of color with high-performance. And who ever knew that the shingle I finally picked turns out to be from their new Artisan collection. Avoid light gray shingles and a red exterior which is commonly seen in barn and farmhouse structures. Heres my recommendation: As you read in my blog, I did not want my roof shingles to lean toward green or brown, I wanted as straight a gray as I could get. Gray Color Scheme in Stone and Brick Mark Byer/Shutterstock Give your home an ultra-modern touch with a monochromatic color scheme. There are two categories of neutral colors to explore when picking a shingle color: warm neutrals and cool neutrals. 3. There isnt any information about these contaminants causing cancer or life-threatening illnesses, but you can be less comfortable at home with this problem. Read Next: Front Door Colors for Yellow Houses. The combination of black roof shingles and red brick home is a classic look that tends to build in value for most communities. Thank you for stopping by the blog! Black Sable is a timeless color that using granules of classic black with gray, umber brown and a hint of sable. I want a gray shingle, not too light, and without hints of brown or blue. Avoid this headache by picking one of our favorite designs below. It was not as simple finding it as you may think. Use the following tips to help you choose a shingle color that you will love for many years to come. Not fond of it up close but from afar its darker than the Pewters but not showing any brown to me. Thanks so much for your quick response! The warehouse with shingles after shingles after shingles. Hope this helps and my apologies for the delayed reply. Paul Y-November 5, 2022. If you have black mold in your home, then you might experience chronic sneezing, coughing, and irritation to the eyes. Once enough of the white fluffy stuff adheres to your roof, it will reflect the suns rays instead of absorbing them, which means you lose all of the benefits of this product. I know how frustrating the process is so I totally hear you about being so ready to be over this. Find the right roofer for your roof replacement with the tips from this guide. Color and product availability varies by region and manufacturing location. Till then, I hope my story saves you some time and money! The most popular colors of roof shingles are shades of black, brown, gray, and red. Many people have asked me, is the shingle black or brown? and my answer is both. You dont choose paint colors without taking samples home to look at them first. So then, when I went there, I was able to see the shingles compared to one another and was able to make some decisions. Visit our updated. You could say this shingle is the little black dress for the roof because it will never go out of style., As a twist to conventional monochromatic black palettes, Black Sable is a dark and intensely rich blend that uses classic black granules mixed with gray, umber and sable tones. This product can work with a variety of patterns. Explore your neighborhood on foot and take note of what shingle colors your neighbors have used. I hear how frustrating that is. Even the thermal energy with cloudy skies gets picked up with this installation. Oakridge Shingles - Artisan Colors - Peppermill Gray. Going all black takes some courage, but it is worth considering no matter whether your exterior siding is made of wood or stone. But it was only after I got my interior designer up on a ladder to put the roof samples ON my roof that I was able to make my final decision. Notice that the top of the railing is green to match the green shutters used on the side of the house. A house with green metal or asphalt shingles can easily be paired with both neutral and bright siding colors for a distinctive look. CertainTeed offers many shades of gray to pick from including: Pewter, Pewterwood, Driftwood, Colonial Slate, Georgetown Gray, and Cobblestone Gray. Here we have compiled a list of our top favorite exterior paint colors with pictures to inspire you. That means you can circulate more natural heat from your attic or ceiling to the living areas of your home in the winter to reduce your bills. These popular shingle colors stem from the materials that builders have been using for centuries: slate, wood, metal, and clay. 800 S Pickett St, Alexandria Virginia 22304, #1 Alexandria Roof Leak Repair Services, Roof Replacement, Local Roofing Pros, All Rights Reserved | Virginia Roofing | Powered by Aletheia Digital. For this weeks #TextureTuesday I bring you my tale. Also be sure to look at the roofs of your neighbors on your street. You can easily blend brown with nature, especially if your home is near a forest or wooded area. Home Improvement Home Exterior Remodel & Improvement Roof. Because your roof is a huge investment, upward of $10,000. However, you can also pick outstanding colors for roofs, such as red roofs for various exterior paint colors. Learn more at www.shinglecoloroftheyear.com. (I should have gone to Goodwill, but I think I looked there too and still didnt find even an old one). Blue and Neutrals Color Scheme With Stone and Wood Detail, 11. HGTVs Good Bones home renovation and design experts Karen E Laine and Mina Starsiakrenowned for their use of color as an exterior design elementannounced the launch of Black Sable in a Facebook video. Many HOA's require black shingles to maintain a uniform style in the neighborhood. Note the bright red door, red brick roof, and black light fixtures. You will also want to evaluate what construction and building materials are available so that you can achieve the final result you want. brings a dramatic flair to an architectural classic. Im sure you will find something youre happy with. STYLE AND COLOR STUNNING STYLES The various shapes and lines of your home come to life with CertainTeed Trim. For a roof with shingles in a cool color like black or slate gray, select a cool color of siding such as blue, gray or green. Exterior siding, stucco, and roof colors by international color consultant, Amy Wax. Its exterior has a very stylish design as well. Black Sable Overview Duration roofing shingles provide strength and durability to your roof thanks to patented SureNail technology TruDefinition is Owens Corning's color design platform specially formulated to capture bright, vibrant hues and dramatic shades 3 Bundles per 98.4 square feet Black Sable is a variation of our most popular shingle color Onyx Black which is in the standard Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration line. I have flecks of dark grey in my brick and I know Maize looks great with grey, but I dont want a multi-tone roof when I have multi-tone brick + a separate siding colour. Modern design, modern architect, In honor of Black History last month and Women's H, I got a bit distracted this morning with the teard, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Owens-Corning-Oakridge-32-8-sq-ft-Williamsburg-Gray-Laminated-Architectural-Roof-Shingles/3031829, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Owens-Corning-Oakridge-32-8-Sq-Ft-Estate-Gray-Laminated-Architectural-Roof-Shingles/3005308, https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/roofing/shingles/trudefinition-duration-designer?color=black-sable. 1. Match your door and shutters for a uniform look. Think browns, rust, sage, charcoal, and deep navy. 4. You want to choose a shingle color that you will want to live with for years to come without any regret. So, without further ado, heres what I did. And no, you can not go by pictures. It will certainly make your house stand out among the rest, just like the one shown here. You might have questions about your house with a black roof. You can do the same for your own home by adding white accents for added appeal. You will need to speak with a local contractor experienced in these matters to determine what tones are appropriate for your specific needs. So, all of a sudden, what I thought to be a simple decision, turned into a very important decision before proceeding with our remodeling project. Darker shingles will absorb the heat helping homes in Northern / cooler climates maintain the heat in your home. vouchers for customer referrals. This is a new go-to color in roofing, said Burkett. Dark and mysterious, TruDefinition Duration Designer shingles in Black Sable are the definition of fierce sophistication and dangerous beauty. Ask your dedicated roofing professional about shingle color and style availability in your area.. Hope it helped! On the left, Estate Grey. This applies especially if you are in a community with roof colors that reflect ordinal color palette of the homes. Heres her contact page. Now all I have to do, like countless others in Texas, is wait patiently for the adjuster to arrive. Laine and Starsiak have helped Owens Corning spread the message about color and curb appeal since the company announced its inaugural Shingle Color of the Year in 2017. 2019 Shingle Color of the Year Data Sheet This way, youll perfectly coordinate the trim and siding colors with your black roof. If we link to any product, you should assume that we'll receive a commission when you buy it, at no extra cost to you. No one will ever see the roof up close. Looking at Pewters and now Certainteed Driftwood which is an oddball. Please let her know I suggested she reach out to you. You cant choose black with this new building code, but there are some darker shades of brown and gray from which to choose. Also, black roofing makes exterior paint colors more vivid and architectural details stand out. Sherwin-Williams world of color doesn't stop with our paints---our wide variety of exterior stains can enhance and protect your wood siding, trim, deck, porch or fence. Any light blue shade like turquoise, celeste, or aqua will work with your black roof. GAF, Owens Corning, CertainTeed, Atlas Roofing, and others can all make a product that will help your roof. After Photo: CertainTeed Northgate Max Def Moire Black Asphalt Shingle Roof - Bo. My roofer did, but I was not happy with the choices so he told me which warehouse to go to. When you compare black roof shingles with lighter shades, the goal is to complement the look of the structure while absorbing or reflecting sunshine. Youre most welcome! I write about design, art, travel and everything in between. If the original roof might have been a Spanish tile, the red or green close to the tile color would look appropriate on your home. If you choose black shingles for your roof, then youll have a product that blends in well with a variety of colors. Below is my roofer Jose, through Craig Construction, who kindly brought sample after sample by our home for me to see. Red Brick Faade With Green Shutters and White Details, 6. Use bright hues to prevent your home from appearing too bland. Copper Roofs Explained: Pros and Cons, Types and Examples, How Big is a Square of Shingles? 15 Biggest Pros and Cons of a Convection Oven, 500 Cutest Dachshund Names for a Girl or Boy Puppy Dog, Top 500 Golden Retriever Names for a Female or Male Puppy, 301 Great Pyrenees Dog Names for a Female or Male Puppy, 500 Cutest Yorkie Names for a Girl or Boy Puppy Dog, Golden Pyrenees Guide: 26 Facts About the Great Pyrenees Golden Retriever Mix, German Shepherd Great Pyrenees Mix Guide: 27 Things to Know About the Germanees, German Shepherd Akita Corgi Mix: 26 Things Every Owner Should Know, Chihuahua German Shepherd Mix Guide: 25 Things to Know About a Chihuahua Shepherd, Alaskan Shepherd Guide: 29 Things Every Owner Should Know, Blue Heeler German Shepherd Mix: 26 Things Every Owner Should Know. By keeping the roof to a single tone, the visual aesthetics of the home remain focused on the individual elements to ensure the correct first impression occurs. Its a good neutral. Use the following tips to help you choose a shingle color that you will love for many years to come. James Hardie offers an array of siding products. But picking the wrong one can leave you stuck with an eyesore. This color combo also works on brick exteriors that boast a brown hue, as shown in this example. You will receive enough flexibility to withstand snow, moderate protection against hail, and theres even a chance for some consumers to qualify for a tax credit when using an Energy Star certified product. The result is a dramatic yet grounded color complementing any number of architectural styles and exterior color palettes. The cost of roofing shingles is often expressed in terms of "squares.". Whether youre completely transforming your homes exterior with a new roof and siding, re-roofing, or re-siding your home, these ideas will help you find a house and roof color combination that youll be happy with for years to come. Im glad you enjoyed the blog post about selecting the color of your roof. And the image on the right is Estate Grey on the left compared to Charcoal Black on right (the color of the roof on the new home across the street from ours). We love the warm stained wood garage doors and front entry that add a timeless quality. If you have a white house, the black makes a really crisp modern look. Remember that shingle brands carry different colors and shingle styles. A muddy brown roof emulates the natural colors found in soil, trees, and rocks. Your outbuildings need a roof to protect an investment, and this product can do an excellent job of providing that advantage. It IS complicated and it IS frustrating. Muted Green Siding With Brown Brick and Off-White Trim, 7. Creating a new color palette for your homes exterior is exciting, but can also feel overwhelming. A black roof can be enhanced with a sleek grey exterior. We start and finish with a modern farmhouse-style home. Attached is a rendering, BUT I have changed the siding color to white, the windows are black all trim is white. Our Exterior House Color Visualizer allows you to experiment with house and roof color combinations that have been curated by color experts.