Obviously, scrambling has a few potential risks, so the routes in this book are helpfully graded 1, 2 and 3. Best Kinder Scout Walks | Guides and GPX Files . Check prices here for theone month or yearly option with OS Online App. At the top of the climb we had a snack break then followed the top path round Blackden Edge to the Seal Stones.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4','ezslot_18',120,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4-0');We then took a steep descent down the hill next to Gate Side Clough this is very steep! Fun easy scramble up Birchen Clough to reach The Trinnacle on Saddleworth Moor near Oldham. This was a bit of an unplanned walk as we had meant to head over to Teggs Nose and White Nancy. There are rocks to climb over and in Autumn these can be wet and slippery from rain, so take care. Welcome to The Wandering Wildflower, an outdoors lifestyle blog focusing on family walks in the Peak District, a place we love exploring. Facilities: None there is sometimes the Wildman Cafe in the car park but Ive never seen him! The path runs along Lady Clough through the woodlands, then opens out into a clearing with a woodpile and a skip. When we did this walk the rain started as soon as we entered the Brook, stayed for the duration of our climb and as soon as we hit the top the sun came out and it was a beautiful day again! There is a small wooden bridge which leads to a path heading up the hill out of the woods, then we crossed the road back to the car park. A faint path (bit of a scramble) leads up the LH side of Birchen Clough to Raven Stones Brow. to a bridge over the River Ashop, which we crossed and then followed the path to Blackden Brook.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_14',116,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-1-0');Blackden Brook is home to a series of waterfalls, with quite a large one being just down from the main path. Find out what maps you will need for your trip here. As you climb higher the last section of the route turns into a rocky steep section, which is where you can scramble to final part to the top of Grindsbrook. For wildlife lovers keep an eye out for animals and birds on your walk, I saw plenty of grouse, but also a weasel and two young Short-eared owls and their mum (or dad) on this walk near the reservoir. November 14, 2022 CIRCULAR WALKS, MEDIUM WALKS 4-9 MILES, PEAK DISTRICT WALKS. The path runs along Lady Clough through the woodlands, then opens out into a clearing with a woodpile and a skip. Brianna Ghey, a transgender girl from Birchwood in Warrington, was found by members of the public as she lay wounded on a path in Culcheth Linear Park at around 3:13pm on Saturday 11 February, and was sadly pronounced dead at the scene by emergency services a short while later. When Im not dragging my husband and 10 year old out on Peak District walks or up mountains, I can be found on my phone, planning my next Geocache walk (and seeing where the nearest pub is!). ).if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-box-4','ezslot_9',112,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-box-4-0');The cow poo kind of ruins the illusionif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-banner-1','ezslot_10',113,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-banner-1-0');We followed a very faint path round the head of the Clough and over the moor, heading down the hill on quite indistinct paths. Here's the route for this circular walk around Ashway Moss and The Trinnacle, set on the edge of the Peak District. This route is slightly quieter than the Grindsbrook scramble, but it does have a trickier section as you near the top. Fun easy scramble up Birchen Clough to reach The Trinnacle on Saddleworth Moor near Oldham. I also blog about our UK camping trips, UK day trips, walks around Yorkshire and more. There is a small fence to negotiate before you enter the wood, and then the path followed the beautiful Lady Clough to the bridge. We walked up Snake Road for half a mile until we reached a lay-by with National Trust Blackden View Farm signs. You can scramble down, but I would say its more challenging and requires careful foot placement. Do you have any more questionsabout scrambles in the Peak District? Required fields are marked *. saying that I also found it fun to do as a speed scramble and race its Strava segment. Ask me in the comments below. A little bit along from Blackden Brook are these adjacent scrambles, both a bit more taxing. Very rough underfoot, firstly through an old quarry then though the heather & braken. It feels like a hidden vale and the scenery is charming, so you could take your time with this one. The farmer was in his yard with some sheep and kindly let us pass through to reach Snake Road, which meant that we didnt need to follow the footpath to Alport Bridge and walk even further up Snake Road its a horrible road to walk on as the cars fly past! When we did this walk the rain started as soon as we entered the Brook, stayed for the duration of our climb and as soon as we hit the top the sun came out and it was a beautiful day again! View looking SE towards the Raven Stones. There's one section which requires full on climbing (shown in the video) but not difficult. Others named Kevin Clough. As you begin the climb break off the main path and just follow the river. Before climbing the stile into the old plantation however, we took a faint path along the riverbank which lead to Snake Woodlands. In heavy rain, the route via Birchen Clough may not be passable, during my first visit in February 2020 it was not safe to cross. I was just glad to have it to ourselves. There are no other facilities on the walk. If the farmer isnt there youll have to follow the footpath a short distance down to Alport Bridge and then join Snake Road. Start on the left hand side, shortly cross over to the right at t. Read John C. Clough's profile to learn more about them and discover their Best. When we did this walk the rain started as soon as we entered the Brook, stayed for the duration of our climb and as soon as we hit the top the sun came out and it was a beautiful day again! The walk includes a fun scramble up the side of Birchen Clough + waterfall, stopping for views of Saddleworth Moor from the iconic rocks known as the Trinnacles, three large rocks jutting out as part of the Raven Stones, that make for a great photo. This walk is in the White Peaks which means Limestone rocks and they can get very slippy in the rain. The entry to the gully is across tricky terrain with many hidden holes. There is a small wooden bridge which leads to a path heading up the hill out of the woods, then we crossed the road back to the car park. Your email address will not be published. Theres a mix of lose ground and some rocky sections as you scramble your way to the top (known as The Tower). Sometimes a lack of planning can have a happy outcome. Practice Areas . Check prices here for theone month or yearly option with OS Online App. Although it was all perfectly doable solo the overwhelming sense of natures power had me rather missing a companion. My visit was made all the more memorable by coinciding with the England v Germany match which meant I had the hills to myself all rather magical. I started by descending Rimmon Pit Clough and Holme Clough, which are decent enough scrambles in their own right. Top tips - Read our useful guides onhiking tips here. This blog may contain affiliate links through which, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Did you know the National Trust signs are called Omega signs? County/Area - Derbyshire. And dont forget your compass, I recommend the Silva Expeditionor the Silva Classic compass. Kathy Clough. Id been on a photography course in Snake Woodlands the day before though and they were so magical with the Autumn colours I knew we had to go back. There are rocks to climb over and in Autumn these can be wet and slippery from rain, so take care. Crowden Clough Scramble (Via Grindslow Knoll) From Barber Booth | 6-Mile Route. When we did this walk the rain started as soon as we entered the Brook, stayed for the duration of our climb and as soon as we hit the top the sun came out and it was a beautiful day again! Thank you very much . Walk almost to the end, near some huge boulders and before the gate turn right onto the path winding down, then take any path on the right so youre walking alongside the stream (Chew Brook). 13 Nov. Grindslow Knoll (via Grindsbrook Clough) Short Walk from Edale | 4-Mile Route. The Brook itself looks to fork into two scrambles but we took the right hand fork up.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-3','ezslot_17',119,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-3-0');At the top of the climb we had a snack break then followed the top path round Blackden Edge to the Seal Stones.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4','ezslot_18',120,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4-0');We then took a steep descent down the hill next to Gate Side Clough this is very steep! Turn left into Birchen Clough and scramble over large rocks, if conditions allow, or take to the path on the left bank, to reach a large waterfall (this can provide an easy ice pitch after a period of freezing weather). This waterfall is the crux of the scramble. You can descend sooner on the section of the walk to Alphin Pike but this is a steep scramble down and wont save you much time. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Includes Address(1) Email(1) See Results. Plus we love a scramble, and the Blackden Brook scramble was one we hadnt ticked off yet. It can be reached by a quick scramble down.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-2','ezslot_16',117,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_15',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-2-0');The path runs alongside Blackden Brook and climbs steadily, getting rockier as you head up. Required fields are marked *. Or get in touch and I will help as best I can :). Plus we love a scramble, and the Blackden Brook scramble was one we hadnt ticked off yet. Dovestone Reservoir walk from near Greenfield, Dovestone Reservoir + Trinnacles walk map, Stage 1 Binn Green car park to The Trinnacles, Stage 2 The Trinnacles to Chew Reservoir, Stage 4 Alphin Pike to Dove Stone Reservoir (+ car park). Oyster Clough Cabin Walk Map:Parking:Birchen Clough Bridge car park, Snake Road, near Glossop (nearest postcode S33 0AB)Facilities: None there is sometimes the Wildman Cafe in the car park but Ive never seen him!Walk Time: 5-6 hoursDifficulty:Distance: 8.5 miles (13.8km)Trig PointsBagged: NonePeak District PeaksBagged: NonePeak District EthelsBagged: NoneBlackden Brook Scramble Walk Map:If you want to try some other Peak District scrambles, why not try:Crowden Clough to Kinder Scout WalkTorside Clough ScrambleMiddle Black Clough Waterfall and Bleaklow StonesHigher Shelf Stones via Ashton Clough ScrambleKinder Downfall Walk via Nether Red Brook Scramble. If in doubt and its your first time on a route, scramble up not down! Join our Peak District walks Facebook page, follow us on Instagram andTwitter for inspiration. November 14, 2022 CIRCULAR WALKS, MEDIUM WALKS 4-9 MILES, PEAK DISTRICT WALKS This 8.5 mile Peak District walk starts from Birchen Clough Bridge car park and heads up Alport Moor to find the Oyster Clough shooting cabin before heading across the valley and scrambling up Blackden Brook onto the Kinder Plateau. Much of the way you walk straight up the smooth rocky bed of the stream, the water never more than ankle deep. Author - Lou Johnson. Two gullies to choose from, one a little rockier than the other. Find out what maps you will need for your trip here. Upper Red Brook is just a few minutes further along, with a slightly more serious feel than its neighbour, and another interesting finish that requires a bit of thought. In both instances you have an Option B if you dont feel comfortable, or if its wet! Read more, Dovestone Reservoir Walk (+ Trinnacles) Saddleworth | 12-Mile Route, Black Hill Guided Walk with an Introduction to Map Reading, Stanage Edge Guided Walk (+ Webinar) with an Introduction to OS Maps, Mam Tor + Cave Dale Guided Walk with an Introduction to Map Reading, 9 Edges Walk (Derwent Edge to Birchen Edge) | 23-Mile Route, Alport Castles Walk From Ladybower Reservoir (Fairholmes) | 10-Mile Route, Edale to Crowden Long Walk (via the Pennine Way) | 17-Mile Route, 9 Best Walks From Edale in the Peak District | (Plus Maps + GPX), Dovestone Reservoir And Saddleworth Moor: Hiking In The North Peak District - Away With Maja, Laddow Rocks + Black Hill via Pennine Way From Crowden | 9-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Arnfield Moor, Chew Reservoir + Featherbed Moss Trig Walk From Crowden | 12-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, 7 Fun Peak District Scrambles + BEST Routes - Peak District Walks, Harry Hut + Lantern Pike Trig Walk From Hayfield | 10-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Ashway Rocks + The Trinnacles Walk From Greenfield | 4.5-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Featherbed Moss, Holme Moss (Black Hill) + Hey Edge Trig Walk From Crowden | 11-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Padley Gorge, Higger Tor + Stanage Edge Walk From Hathersage | 12-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, 15 BEST Walks in the Peak District - Peak District Walks, 16 Stunning Sunset Walks In The Peak District - Peak District Walks, click here to get them straight to your inbox, Top 10 Highest Peak District Hills + Mountains, Damflask Reservoir Easy Walk From Low Bradfield | 4-Mile Route, Reservoir Walk (Plus Emlin Ridge + Kirk Edge Trigs) | From Low Bradfield | 10-Mile Route, River Derwent Short Walk From Hathersage | 5-Mile Route, 9 Trig Walks For Trig Baggers (Walks with Multiple Trigs). 13 miles 28th September 2018 Ellie Howarth View Calendar 10/10/2018 10:00 - 16:00 Ashop Clough, Upper Red Brook, Trig Point 624, Mermaid's Pool, Red Brook, Crowden Edge, Seal Edge, Jubilee Hut, Alport Bridge, Roman Road. Did you know the National Trust signs are called Omega signs?if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-1','ezslot_13',115,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-1-0');There is a gate which leads down the hill (quite steep and very muddy!) Peak District WalkFair Brook & Kinder Northern Edges from Birchen Clough. Note you can descend via Chew Road at this point to shorten the walk by about 2.5 miles/4 km. I love the hills but hate the heights, so trig bagging is er- fun! Its another quieter route up to the summit and when you pop out on the top which intersects the Pennine Way trail between Kinder Low and Kinder Downfall you might be surprised when you see all the people! Unfortunately, the public toilets are now permanently closed at Binn Green car park, due to vandalism. Drop your email below and I'll send you some ideas for walks you can try. Name: Birchin Clough, High Peak X/Y co-ords: 411197, 391690 Region: East Midlands Country: England Place type: Valley Lat/Long: 53.42190170,-1.83299801 District: High Peak Height: 411.2m Location Grid Ref: SK 1119 9169 OS Explorer Map: OL1: Peak District County/Unitary Authority: Derbyshire Other places near Birchin Clough, High Peak (S33 0BJ) UKH Hills - Scrambles in the Dark Peak (summer) Scrambles in the Dark Peak (summer) Info Map of Routes Stats Photos Share Contributed by Iain Thow Dec/14 - This public hilllist has been seen 13,107 times All the routes from the Cicerone Scrambles in the Dark Peak by Tom Corker and Terry Sleaford. Let me know in the comments. Oyster Clough Cabin Walk Map:Parking:Birchen Clough Bridge car park, Snake Road, near Glossop (nearest postcode S33 0AB)Facilities: None there is sometimes the Wildman Cafe in the car park but Ive never seen him!Walk Time: 5-6 hoursDifficulty:Distance: 8.5 miles (13.8km)Trig PointsBagged: NonePeak District PeaksBagged: NonePeak District EthelsBagged: NoneBlackden Brook Scramble Walk Map:If you want to try some other Peak District scrambles, why not try:Crowden Clough to Kinder Scout WalkTorside Clough ScrambleMiddle Black Clough Waterfall and Bleaklow StonesHigher Shelf Stones via Ashton Clough ScrambleKinder Downfall Walk via Nether Red Brook Scramble. Id been on a photography course in Snake Woodlands the day before though and they were so magical with the Autumn colours I knew we had to go back. This part of the walk takes you along the edge past more rock formations on the way before finally turning left at the end to reach Alphin Pike, youll see it first with a stone cairn but the trig point is around the other side. All Filters. Walk until you reach the dam (where you turned off at the start), turn left to walk across then go left at the end and up the road (that you started on) and look for the footpath on the right, through the narrow gap in the wall and head back up the steps through the woods to the car park. It starts out steep but gets easier as you go up, with waterfalls all the way # peakdistrictwalks # peakdistrictnationalpark # peakdistrictphotography # peakdistrict # walkinghq # hillwalking # peakdistrictwalks # peakdistrictnationalpark # peakdistrictphotography # peakdistrict # walkinghq # Check the weather for your walk location and hills. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. Birchen Clough Sunday, 18 August 2019 Start time: 10:00 Moderate 9 miles / 14.5 km Group Amber Valley Route: Via Fairbrook, Ashop Clough, Seal Edge Starting point Birchen Clough Bridge (see below) Grid reference: SK109914 Nearest postcode: S33 0AB Start time: 10:00 Additional notes This is a circular walk The Brook itself looks to fork into two scrambles but we took the right hand fork up.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-3','ezslot_17',119,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-3-0');At the top of the climb we had a snack break then followed the top path round Blackden Edge to the Seal Stones.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4','ezslot_18',120,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4-0');We then took a steep descent down the hill next to Gate Side Clough this is very steep! We nipped over the bridge to get a photo of the Peak and Northern Footpaths green sign and then headed back over the bridge and over the stile into the woods. There is a small fence to negotiate before you enter the wood, and then the path followed the beautiful Lady Clough to the bridge. Plus we love a scramble, and the Blackden Brook scramble was one we hadnt ticked off yet. things improve once in the stream-bed itself, but some thought is still required to successfully exit at the top. - See 203 traveller reviews, 308 candid photos, and great deals for Greenfield, UK, at Tripadvisor. The path runs along Lady Clough through the woodlands, then opens out into a clearing with a woodpile and a skip. Our walk starts in Birchen Clough Bridge car park. Since scrambling is the next level before climbing, a scramble routes would naturally follows the way someone would climb up. You are up high for the majority of this route so warm layers are essential. From here you then follow the edge along to Alphin Pike before descending down to Dovestone Reservoir, then back to the car park near Greenfield. Please get in touch and I will happily help with your walk. We then took a steep descent down the hill next to Gate Side Clough this is very steep! Need more help planning your Peak District trip? Walk along the path at the top of Chew Reservoir and at the end cross over the road and pick up a track heading right along the next edge. Eventually the dream ends and you hit the Pennine Way which provides a fast descent route back. We followed the path of the Roman road down through the fields.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2-0');We reached Heyridge Farm, where the footpath carries on along the farm track to the north-east. You can unsubscribe anytime. (c) The Wandering Wildflower. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. to a bridge over the River Ashop, which we crossed and then followed the path to Blackden Brook. (LogOut/ If you want to try some other Peak District scrambles, why not try: Middle Black Clough Waterfall and Bleaklow Stones, Higher Shelf Stones via Ashton Clough Scramble, Kinder Downfall Walk via Nether Red Brook Scramble, Your email address will not be published. Sometimes a lack of planning can have a happy outcome. Gorgeous hike/scramble in the Peak Distri. The farmer was in his yard with some sheep and kindly let us pass through to reach Snake Road, which meant that we didnt need to follow the footpath to Alport Bridge and walk even further up Snake Road its a horrible road to walk on as the cars fly past! Plus we love a scramble, and the Blackden Brook scramble was one we hadnt ticked off yet. There is a small fence to negotiate before you enter the wood, and then the path followed the beautiful Lady Clough to the bridge. There is a small wooden bridge which leads to a path heading up the hill out of the woods, then we crossed the road back to the car park. Oyster Clough Cabin Walk Map:Parking:Birchen Clough Bridge car park, Snake Road, near Glossop (nearest postcode S33 0AB)Facilities: None there is sometimes the Wildman Cafe in the car park but Ive never seen him!Walk Time: 5-6 hoursDifficulty:Distance: 8.5 miles (13.8km)Trig PointsBagged: NonePeak District PeaksBagged: NonePeak District EthelsBagged: NoneBlackden Brook Scramble Walk Map:If you want to try some other Peak District scrambles, why not try:Crowden Clough to Kinder Scout WalkTorside Clough ScrambleMiddle Black Clough Waterfall and Bleaklow StonesHigher Shelf Stones via Ashton Clough ScrambleKinder Downfall Walk via Nether Red Brook Scramble. Are you enjoying the walks? Your personal data will be used to support your experience throughout this website, to manage access to your account, and for other purposes described in our privacy policy. It can be reached by a quick scramble down.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-2','ezslot_16',117,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_15',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-2-0');The path runs alongside Blackden Brook and climbs steadily, getting rockier as you head up. We always recommend you wear appropriate footwear to avoid injuries and to take a paper map and compass on your walks. So a last minute decision to meet up and clear our heads tu. I was just glad to have it to ourselves. For this Peak District scramble walk, you start on the Snake Pass side of Kinder Scout, this 6-mile walk takes you up Blackden Brook on a challenging route to the top. We followed the path of the Roman road down through the fields. Follow this until you reach the bridge, turn right and cross over here which takes you on to the path around Dovestone Reservoir. There is a small wooden bridge which leads to a path heading up the hill out of the woods, then we crossed the road back to the car park. I will leave its Grade 3 neighbour, Wilderness Gully East, to more serious scramblers! In places the rock is covered in a pleasant spongy moss; in fact going barefoot could be an option here! Top tips - Read our useful guides onhiking tips here. There is a small fence to negotiate before you enter the wood, and then the path followed the beautiful Lady Clough to the bridge. At the head of the clough is the Oyster Clough shooting cabin, touted on YouTube as a secret bothy in the Peak District although judging from the guest books in there its very well visited for somewhere so secret. We had a quick snack break and Hols signed the book for us (I get her to do most of my admin now ;)! There is a collapsing path of-sorts most of the way until you join the riverbed nearer the top. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2-0');We reached Heyridge Farm, where the footpath carries on along the farm track to the north-east. The scramble initially skirts an attractive waterfall, then takes a smaller cascade more directly, before finally heading towards the summit of Bleaklow along the rocky bed of Dowstone Clough. We nipped over the bridge to get a photo of the Peak and Northern Footpaths green sign and then headed back over the bridge and over the stile into the woods. The path runs alongside Blackden Brook and climbs steadily, getting rockier as you head up. Read more here. Hello! Check out the 7 YHAs in the Peak Districtand find the best walks direct from your accommodation. Its the in-between level of hiking and climbing, so generally you wont need ropes or any form or equipment (some Grade 3 scrambles you might); however all of these routes in the list are Grade 1, with one Grade 2 section. This is a lovely route from Hayfield and one of the longest scramble routes in this list, which also makes it one of my favourites. I hope this blog will give you some ideas of places to visit in the Peak District and inspire you and your family to head into the great outdoors. Grindslow Knoll. Catherine Clough, 79. If youre new to scrambling or even been doing it a while, I would always recommend you scramble up instead of down. It can be reached by a quick scramble down.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-2','ezslot_16',117,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_15',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-2-0');The path runs alongside Blackden Brook and climbs steadily, getting rockier as you head up. For Nether Red Brook, you break off the Snake Path about a mile from the road and follow the stream bed up. Follow the path keeping to the edge, youll head slightly towards the moors to cross the stream but then it doubles back on the other side back to the edge, past Great Dove Stone rocks and Cairn on Fox Stone. (LogOut/ This was a bit of an unplanned walk as we had meant to head over to Teggs Nose and White Nancy. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. A relatively easy walk for the majority of this route (until you reach the scramble) from Hollinsclough. Before climbing the stile into the old plantation however, we took a faint path along the riverbank which lead to Snake Woodlands. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. Pingback: Dovestone Reservoir And Saddleworth Moor: Hiking In The North Peak District - Away With Maja, Pingback: Laddow Rocks + Black Hill via Pennine Way From Crowden | 9-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Arnfield Moor, Chew Reservoir + Featherbed Moss Trig Walk From Crowden | 12-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: 7 Fun Peak District Scrambles + BEST Routes - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Harry Hut + Lantern Pike Trig Walk From Hayfield | 10-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Ashway Rocks + The Trinnacles Walk From Greenfield | 4.5-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Featherbed Moss, Holme Moss (Black Hill) + Hey Edge Trig Walk From Crowden | 11-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Padley Gorge, Higger Tor + Stanage Edge Walk From Hathersage | 12-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: 15 BEST Walks in the Peak District - Peak District Walks, Pingback: 16 Stunning Sunset Walks In The Peak District - Peak District Walks, OS Online App one month or yearly option. Youll also notice that only a small section of the each route include a scramble, so once youve done that the rest of the walk is on two feet! Occasionally there are boulders to circumvent which add to the interest. Sometimes a lack of planning can have a happy outcome. There are 5 Wilderness Gullies at the head of Chew Valley, and these north-facing slopes have a pretty serious feel. Think before you climb Oldham Mountain Rescue. Birchen Clough scramble + The Trinnacles Scramble up Birchen Clough Location: Near Dovestone Reservoir Grade scramble: 1 This route takes you up Birchen Clough, for most of the route it's simply navigating the rocks but there's a short scramble about halfway up (see photo above).