Cumulus Media, owners of the rock radio station in Buffalo, circulated this statement late Wednesday: The popular on-air teams unique style and love of Western New York has created legions of passionate listeners locally and won them national recognition. He decided to devote his time to charity and ministry. He takes delight in sharing it with Buffalo radio listeners every Sunday morning on his Breakfast with the Beatles show on 97 Rock. Racist and disrespectful comments like this have no place on our airwaves or anywhere. "I moved back six years ago, it was the best move in my life," said Rich. Little Steven says 97 Rock's 'JP' is a 'national treasure' By Dan Herbeck Jan 29, 2020 Updated Dec 21, 2020 0 1 of 4 Bruce Springsteen's legendary guitarist Steven "Little Steven" Van Zandt says. ", Meanwhile, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said in a tweet:"I know our community is better than this. Piccillo, a Buffalo radio disc jockey since 1976 who goes by JP, spends the two hours spinning Beatles records, from hits to the most obscure album cuts. Become the 97 Rock Employee of the Day We want to salute you More A Tribute to John Lennon It was on this day 42 years ago that John Lennon was gunned down on December 8th, 1980 and was killed at 40 years old. Hiber said he asked a recent research test group what was the most exciting thing to happen in Buffalo radio. NEWS CRITIC, ANTHONY VIOLANTI/NEWS STAFF REPORTER, City mourns Buffalo firefighter Jason Arno as investigation into fatal fire launches, Buffalo firefighter makes 'ultimate sacrifice' in blaze that may have sparked backdraft, Paula's Donuts to move Clarence store that faced backlash for tax breaks to Amherst, Vandal damages 'brokenhearted' Russell Salvatore's tribute park in Lancaster, Chad Hall's departure from Buffalo Bills to Jaguars remains a bit of a mystery. Tweets by @97RockBuffalo He hired a promotion manager and sent him to Fort Erie to work in secrecy. Attention on the situation kept growing deep into Wednesday evening. Birthplace: Pikesville, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. "It will have a different sound, more adult," said Hiber. The duo have been heard on 103.3 since 1993 first on Classic Rock 103.3 The Fox WUFX and since 1995 on The Edge, mostly in mornings but from 2006 to 2012 in afternoons. Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters, died Saturday at the age of 74. The group won three Grammy Awards and had 13 U.S. top 20 hit songs. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, In Chicago, adapting electric buses to winters challenges, Global race to boost electric vehicle range in cold, Ohio derailment tests Sen. Browns push to buck Dem, Texas congressmans breaks with GOP could lead to, Students get dance instruction from renowned dance, Live Traffic Map Sponsored by The Barnes Firm, Bills ranked as 9th-best team to play for: NFLPA, Sabres add F Jordan Greenway at trade deadline, Friday declared Howard Simon Day as WGR host caps, Jody Fortson returns to South Park to connect with, Where to get a fish fry in Buffalo in 2023, Tim Hortons app-based Roll Up to Win returns Monday, Turning back the pages on the history of Bethel AME, Underground Railroad has long history in Niagara, Important FAQ for WIVB/WNLO Antenna Viewers, Halle Berry responds to disgusting 97 Rock comments, Tom Sizemore, Saving Private Ryan actor, dies at, First responders honor Firefighter Jason Arno, Murdaugh judges own legal story unfolded in South, Questions linger about legal aspects of Main Street, Capitol rioter from Buffalo admits to stealing badge, Building that caught fire had expired work permit, Murdaughs fast conviction sealed by his testimony:, Can the dogs of Chernobyl teach us new tricks on, Retired fire investigator gives perspective on fire, Patriots and Heroes Park vandalized overnight, Wintry mix tonight; Snow north, Rain/mix south. 97.5 WAMZ presents: iHeart Country Series - Conner Smith. Lederman followed up by saying, I may get into trouble for this, and then described how he likens his toaster settings to women I find to be attractive., Lederman then cited the names of two famous Black women, and at one point answered a question from Klein about a third woman. I see that as a win-win.. His uncle was a legendary figure in the annals of organized crime in America, the late Russell Bufalino. Station leadership @97RockBuffalo can expect a follow up from our board., Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation, whose fundraising logo is visible at the top of the audio clip graphic, canceled its advertising and released this statement Wednesday afternoon: Immediately upon learning about this exchange, Roswell Park, the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation and the Ride for Roswell pulled all ads and marketing from this station. BUFFALO, NY, August 11, 2021 Cumulus Media announces that it will bring The Shredd & Ragan Show, one of the most successful morning radio shows in Buffalo radio history, to mornings on Cumulus Buffalo Classic Rock station, 97 Rock/WGRF-FM. AT MIDNIGHT tonight, 97 Rock is coming back. He put employees on the Rich Products payroll, instead of the station's. Hiber's research indicated that an album rock station that plays a mix of classics and new tunes could fill a void. Was it stupid? I think one of the main reasons is that no two Beatles songs ever sound the same. He said his musical heroes including Lennon, McCartney, Pete Townshend of the Who and Zeppelins Jimmy Page changed my life., Their music and their careers are filled with amazing stories and messages. Filed Under: Uncategorized Recently Played on 97 Rock 97 Rock Tweets by @97RockBuffalo Only Adeles 21 sold more. Gaenzler noted how high he likes his toaster setting. Finally, and most importantly, a huge thanks for the friendship and support of thegreat people ofBuffaloandWestern New Yorkwho embraced us many years ago and made this area our home. New Alien Movie Goes Into Production Later This Month, Gun Safety Course Bills Fail to Pass WA State House, Senate, Port of Walla Walla Wants Hwy 12 Widening Finished, The Books About Filmmaking Every Cinephile Should Read, 7 Brands of Lays Fictional Tri-Cities Potato Chips Youll Want, Two Suspects Arrested in Othello on Warrants for Stolen Property, Kennewick Police Seeking Home Depot Theft Suspect, 2 Wonderful Tri-Cities Movies You Can Stream Right Now. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. Over the years, WGRF was owned by the Taft Television and Radio Company, Rich Communications, Mercury Radio Communications and Citadel Broadcasting, a forerunner to current owner Cumulus Media. Finally, and most importantly, a huge thanks for the friendship and support of thegreat people ofBuffaloandWestern New Yorkwho embraced us many years ago and made this area our home. Download it here. Reeve, the star of "Superman" movies, was paralyzed from the neck down after falling from a horse May 27. Aaker's (1997) brand personality (BP) scale is widely used in research and is an important foundation for the theory of BP. Githens quit WLUP-FM in Chicago to become the morning news person. WCMF-FM is a Audacy station. That day, Lederman compared how he likes his toast to womens skin tones during the morning show and also used a racial slur. Lance Venta is Owner and Publisher of RadioInsight.com. Were so excited to add Shredd & Ragan to 97 Rocks lineup and believe they will supercharge our existing slate of Buffalos favorite radio personalities., Joe Russo, Program Director, 97 Rock/WGRF-FM, noted: When I thought about what type of show was big enough for 97 Rock, it kept coming back to Shredd & Ragan. Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane on salary cap, Gabe Davis expectations, Damar Hamlin update and more, Sabres place Alex Tuch on injured reserve; top-line winger's status is uncertain, Owner of Buffalo CPA firm denies claims of financial, workplace wrongdoing, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to take year off from coaching, Sabres acquire defenseman Riley Stillman from Vancouver for prospect Josh Bloom, Yellow Corp. to close two trucking terminals, 14 police agencies break up fights outside Boulevard Mall, Democrats explore blue-collar struggles as brand is 'damaged', Sabres trade deadline primer: How GM Kevyn Adams can add to his contending roster, Buffalo singer Matt Wilson moves on to Round 1 of 'American Idol', Southern Junction to blossom into restaurant at former Black Sheep, Buffalo singer Matt Wilson featured in 'American Idol' on Sunday, Jeff Simon: The Oscars might actually be worth watching this year. I dont think well ever see an entertainment story like this again a band that is still this popular 50 years after their breakup, he said. In addition to his duties on 97Rock, Carl has Radio Duties on the Westwood 1 Radio Network, doing TWO, five-hour classic Rock shows 7 days a week on approximately 150 affiliate Stations from Hawaii to Alaska. Yes. Its all about the quality, the spirit and variety of the bands music, Piccillo said. Ruth is the last remaining sister/ member alive. There is no place in our society for these statements or beliefs. Lederman's firing ends a lengthy and high-profile career at 97 Rock. "I'm sorry, I can't be a part of that kind of humor," Ms. Baller said Monday. "I thought, 'Do these guys want to bring back a strong adult rock station or to prove something to Taft?' This summer, after two years of operating Southern Junction as a takeout-only spot at 27 Chandler St., Ryan Fernandez is planning to open his , Matt Wilson, 21, will audition for judges Katy Perry, Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan on the reality show now in its 21st season. Springsteen & The E Street Band are coming to Dome in Syracuse September 7th. No one ever had anything nega, A 37-year-old Buffalo firefighter died while fighting a four-alarm blaze on Main Street downtown that may have been sparked by work being done, A vandal smashed numerous statues overnight at a park honoring veterans and first responders in front ofRussell's Steaks, Chops & More, 6, While Amherst police were on the scene, a number of fights started among groups within the crowd in the mall lot on Alberta and in the Wegmans, "The questions, concerns and issues raised in The Buffalo News' reporting concerning Forest Lawn depict a nonprofit that has serious problems . Simon says he won't be deterred from watching the Oscars because the SAG-AFTRA awards proved how much potential is there. The KHMX studios are located in Houston's Greenway Plaza district, while the station transmitter is located in the Houston suburb of Missouri City.In addition to a standard analog transmission . My uncle Russell was a fair, level-headed guy who had a lot of power, and in his world, did what he had to do, Piccillo said. Norton seemed particularly irked on the air that Ms. Baller would not join in the comedy bit on Reeve. Stu Jeffries' $1,000 Minute; Mixtape Of You; Prize Pickup; General Contest Rules sub menu toggle On-Air. That was one of the most genuine, honest and real performances Ive ever witnessed, judge Luke Bryan told Wilson. Simon and Schuster released a statement saying, We want to apologize. The Sabres and Bandits therefore have made the decision to terminate him from his duties as our in-arena host., The University at Buffalo, meanwhile, released a statement announcing that the school will not bring Gaenzler back as its public address announcer: The University at Buffalo Division of Athletics is committed to sustaining a culture of diversity and inclusion and strongly denounces racism in all forms. "This town must have a tremendous amount of magnetism for people who grew up here," said Jhan W. Hiber, the Malrite Communications group vice president who was hired as a consultant by Rich. The album "Break Out" went triple platinum and garnered two American Music Awards. This is the show everyone talks about, its highly addictive, and you never want to miss a day. Cumulus Media engages listeners with high-quality local programming through 413 owned-and-operated radio stations across 85 markets; delivers nationally-syndicated sports, news, talk, and entertainmentprogramming from iconic brands including the NFL, the NCAA, the Masters, CNN, the AP, the Academy of Country Music Awards, and many other world-class partners across nearly 7,300 affiliated stations through Westwood One, the largest audio network in America;and inspires listeners through the CUMULUS Podcast Network, its rapidly growing networkof original podcasts that are smart, entertaining and thought-provoking. race for profit chapter summaries; williamson county tx rental assistance For more information or to stream 97 Rock/WGRF-FM, visit: https://www.97rock.com/. Jim Riley, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Buffalo, said: After considering many options, we found that the best choice for 97 Rock mornings was already in our building. Follow us on Twitter: @97rockbuffalo www.97rock.com Posts Tagged Rich's secrecy includes elements of international intrigue. Watching the Beatles on TV brought the West Side youngster out of his depression. The elimination of a national syndicated talk show host means the station will go with local talent daily from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. Lederman was fired after the advertiser fallout surrounding a 45-second segment in which he compared toaster settings to the tone of the skin , Program director John Hager, who entered the Buffalo Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame in 2018, has been at 97 Rock since 1988 after an ea. Steve Mackey, Bassist For Rock Band Pulp, Dead At 56 'Big Brother Canada' Season 11 contestants: Meet the houseguests. WXLP (96.9 FM) is a commercial radio station, licensed to Moline, Illinois, and serving the Quad Cities area of Illinois and Iowa.The station is owned by Townsquare Media and broadcasts a classic rock radio format.Its radio studios and offices are on North Brady Street in Davenport, Iowa (along with the co-owned KJOC, KBEA-FM, KIIK-FM and KBOB).. WXLP has an effective radiated power (ERP) of . . By the early 1980s, the station had largely entrenched itself into a styling and format that came to be associated with the nascent classic rock format. I'm so grateful when listeners tell me, What a cool story, JP, I had no idea. I feel like Ive done my job., He said he loves it when other employees at the FM station call him Professor JP., We have one of the few radio stations in the country where a guy can do the things I do on the air, Piccillo said. 97 Rock - WGRF, FM 96.9, Buffalo, NY. The popular on-air teams unique style and love of Western New York has created legions of passionate listeners locally and won them national recognition. 97 Rock. He hired an Ohio advertising company to prevent leaks. I strongly condemn what these individuals said on the radio this morning. Keep reading with unlimited digital access. This website uses cookies. Jim Riley, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Buffalo, said: After considering many options, we found that the best choice for 97 Rock mornings was already in our building. The locally produced, Buffalo-focused program featuring longtime co-hosts Ted Shredd and Tom Ragan will debut on 97 Rock on Monday, August 16, 2021, and will air weekdays from 6:00am-10:00am. Thats exactly how Pesci played him.. The 97 Rock night-shift DJ with the instantly recognizable voice was laid off last year, replaced by prerecorded programming in a cost-cutting move by Citadel Communications. Led by Program Director JJ Jordan, Station Manager William Austin, and a 24-hour live staff, the station shot to the top 4 in the crowded Buffalo market for about two years. Classic Rock 97LAV & Motor City Floors and Coatings are going to brighten someone's Holidays with a garage or basement floor makeover! New bumper stickers are out, proclaiming: "97 Rock: Back & Rockin'.". They are the perfect fit for where we are going with 97 Rock and the perfect addition to our already legendary lineup., Tom Ragan, Co-Host, Shredd & Ragan, commented: Were thrilled this radio show experiment somehow continues to work. Its main competition was legendary Top 40 powerhouse WKBW 1520 AM. The station is owned by Cumulus Media and has a radio format playing classic rock, mostly from the 1970s and 1980s. ", "He had his whole future in front of him, an exemplary firefighter and employee, just a great all-around person. Find more details about upcoming events here. I never saw myself as anything close to even thinking a racist thought, he said. Recently Played on 97 Rock. Playing Rock That Really Rocks from the 80's to now! Watch Ashley McBryde's Wild Storytelling About A Blind Date With A Cousin Mar 01, 2023. No one ever had anything nega, A 37-year-old Buffalo firefighter died while fighting a four-alarm blaze on Main Street downtown that may have been sparked by work being done, A vandal smashed numerous statues overnight at a park honoring veterans and first responders in front ofRussell's Steaks, Chops & More, 6, While Amherst police were on the scene, a number of fights started among groups within the crowd in the mall lot on Alberta and in the Wegmans, "The questions, concerns and issues raised in The Buffalo News' reporting concerning Forest Lawn depict a nonprofit that has serious problems . The original "97 Rock" era featured Program Director and DJ John McGhan. NEWS BOOK REVIEWER, ANTHONY VIOLANTI It switched to classic rock and rehired most of its former DJs under the legendary "97 Rock" name. He had the shortest distance to travel home. Joe Pesci's 'The Irishman' character grew up in Buffalo. Taft pulled the plug on 97 Rock because it said it was difficult to sell the teen-oriented station to advertisers seeking the age 25-54 demographic. WGRF (96.9 MHz) is a commercial FM radio station in Buffalo, New York, branded as "97 Rock". He recalled that Brian Epstein, the Beatles manager in the 1960s, correctly predicted people would still be listening to the Beatles in the 21st century. https://t.co/9qMrLysjy2, The Buffalo Association of Black Journalistsrecently metwith 97 Rock and Cumulus Media following the comments, and calledthe meeting with company leadership "genuine and productive.". Rob Lederman performs at his club, Rob's Comedy Playhouse in Amherst, on February 2015. Working for 24 years alongside Buffalo broadcasting legend Larry Norton, he became a fixture on the radio and active with charities both in his work as a businessman and broadcaster. Community Town Hall Brewery - Cities 97.1 Studio Sponsor Jan 12, 2023. 112 talking about this. But truly, I love just about everything they ever did, he said. OLD 97 ROCK CREW RETURNS IN THE REMAKING OF A LEGEND. Check the latest closings and delays for schools, businesses, and churches. That was the station's first song as well in 1974. Our Spectrum News app is the most convenient way to get the stories that matter to you. But many people will be happy about the change. In a statement early Wednesday evening, PSE said: All organizations across the Pegula Sports & Entertainment umbrella strongly condemn racism in all forms. The studios are in the eastside of Buffalo. News 4 has learned "Morning Bull" co-hosts Rich Gaenzler and ", "In a way it is like a sacred trust to have a product with this sort of heritage," said Rich. List of radio stations Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. CUMULUS MEDIA announces that it will bring The Shredd & Ragan Show, one of the most successful morning radio shows in Buffalo radio history, to mornings on Cumulus Buffalo Classic Rock station, 97 Rock/WGRF-FM. The locally produced, Buffalo-focused program featuring longtime co-hosts Ted Shredd and Tom Ragan will debut on 97 Rock on Monday, August 16, 2021, and will air weekdays from 6:00am-10:00am. "It gives me an empty feeling, and it just isn't right. 2023, Charter Communications, all rights reserved. The stream was stopped (connection time out occurred). Listen to the station live and interact with the hosts - you can direct message and call the show directly from the app. In addition to being an essential ingredient in the daily routine of thousands of listeners, Shredd & Ragan have helped raise tens of thousands of dollars for people in need through fundraisers for the Variety Club, The Ride For Roswell, and many other local charities. For years weve battled against them and now we are joining forces. WGRF streamed its programming on the Internet until 2002, when it became economically unfeasible for some stations to continue their streams given changes in licensing and royalty agreements. Beyond the music, the way people reacted and responded to them was something that will never be duplicated.. Payroll Payout - Win up to $500 an hour! 97.5 K-Rock is Newfoundland's Classic Rock playing your favorites like the Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, CCR, Tom Petty, The Beatles and more. [2] It uses a directional antenna to protect CHYM-FM in Kitchener, Ontario, which is on 96.7MHz. Mercury Radio separated WGRF from WGR AM in 1995 when it bought WGRF from Rich Communications, which in turn retained WGR until selling it to the Sinclair Broadcast Group two years later.[3]. Buffalo's Classic Rock Station! Contact; Advertise on Cities 97.1 ; Download The Free iHeartRadio App; Find a Podcast. They looked like they were having so much fun, Piccillo said. April 15th at Riverworks! Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane on salary cap, Gabe Davis expectations, Damar Hamlin update and more, Sabres place Alex Tuch on injured reserve; top-line winger's status is uncertain, Owner of Buffalo CPA firm denies claims of financial, workplace wrongdoing, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to take year off from coaching, Sabres acquire defenseman Riley Stillman from Vancouver for prospect Josh Bloom, Yellow Corp. to close two trucking terminals, 14 police agencies break up fights outside Boulevard Mall, Democrats explore blue-collar struggles as brand is 'damaged', Sabres trade deadline primer: How GM Kevyn Adams can add to his contending roster, Erie County comptroller calls for state to investigate Forest Lawn, Moscow reportedly threatened new parents in Ukraine: Register your newborns as Russian or else, The impact of climate change will be felt worse in these three U.S. cities, Scientists reveal hidden corridor in Great Pyramid of Giza, Greece train crash: Public anger grows as death toll rises. Each host will be responsible for producing an entertaining show with 2-4 others. Microsofts Bing A.I. I see that as a win-win.. They were getting comments from the public on Reeve, as Norton and Stout made jokes in the studio. So when I heard that, and heard how it sounded, I was like, Oh, my God, that sounds terrible. Now, can I take back those words? Ive been in such a bad. Jeff Spindel The Reeve jokes were the latest of an ongoing bout of tasteless humor and vulgarity that has been a regular part of the Norton/Stout program. K-97 is Edmonton's ONLY TRUE Classic Rock Station; with artists like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Aerosmith, AC/DC and more. The show debuted on WUFX-FM in 1993 and was the original morning show for the launch of 103.3 The Edge in 1995. He returned to Cleveland radio in 1997, working at both WMJO-FM/105.7 and WZJM-FM/92.3. And it isn't April Fools' Day this time. In March 2006, Citadel launched an initiative that provided for the streaming of many of Citadel's stations. Chan (overnight), who was out of broadcasting, asked to return. 'Morning Bull' host Rob Lederman fired, 'horrified' by his words after exchange using racist language. In December 2015, morning host Larry Norton retired from broadcasting. Tweets by @97RockBuffalo Radio personalities Rich Gaenzler and Chris Klein, as well as Program Director John Hager, were fired just weeks after DJ Rob Lederman, who made comments comparing burnt toast to the color of Black women's skin, citing Halle Berry and Serena Williams as examples. The station beget . Lederman said he wants to "learn from this, and apologized to anybody that would be hurt by his words. Is the Mystery Machine Running Around Tri-Cities, Washington? A statement from Cumulus Media late Wednesday said Lederman's comments were in direct violation of the company's programming principles and that "the remainder of the show's on-air talent" had been suspended. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). (Carter is ending her term as president of the organization.) A big thanks to the Cumulus Buffalo group including Joe Russo, Joe Siragusa andJimRiley,along with the team we go to work with every day,JimJacka and Evan James, for helping to make this a success. In addition to being an essential ingredient in the daily routine of thousands of listeners, Shredd & Ragan have helped raise tens of thousands of dollars for people in need through fundraisers for the Variety Club, The Ride For Roswell, and many other local charities. Louis-Jacques tweeted the audio clip Wednesday afternoon, and within hours it had 100,000 plays and hundreds of retweets and comments. Shredd & Ragan join 97 Rock from Cumulus Buffalo sister station 103.3 The Edge/WEDG-FM, where they have hosted one of Buffalos highest-rated morning shows for nearly three decades, attracting legions of passionate local listeners and winning them national recognition. Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane on salary cap, Gabe Davis expectations, Damar Hamlin update and more, Sabres place Alex Tuch on injured reserve; top-line winger's status is uncertain, Owner of Buffalo CPA firm denies claims of financial, workplace wrongdoing, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to take year off from coaching, Sabres acquire defenseman Riley Stillman from Vancouver for prospect Josh Bloom, Yellow Corp. to close two trucking terminals, 14 police agencies break up fights outside Boulevard Mall, Democrats explore blue-collar struggles as brand is 'damaged', Sabres trade deadline primer: How GM Kevyn Adams can add to his contending roster, 45-second audio clip shared on Twitter by Marcel Louis-Jacques, Bellavia and Bauerle's schedules change to fill Limbaugh's time slot at WBEN-AM, Alan Pergament: 97 Rock is silent after initial statement announcing Rob Lederman's firing, Gaenzler, Klein, Hager terminated by 97 Rock two weeks after racist on-air incident, Moscow reportedly threatened new parents in Ukraine: Register your newborns as Russian or else, The impact of climate change will be felt worse in these three U.S. cities, Scientists reveal hidden corridor in Great Pyramid of Giza, Greece train crash: Public anger grows as death toll rises.