We worked with engineers from Springfield Armory to create Custom Shop loads specifically designed for the utmost performance from the new Model 2020 Waypoint rifle. 338 Win Mag 200 gr SST Superformance Item #82223 | 20/Box US Patent: 8,161,885 | 8,413,587 Increase your rifle's performance up to 200 fps without extra chamber pressure, recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling, or loss of accuracy. Recoil was cruel from that weight bullet fired by a case full of propellant. Introduced in 1958, the .338 Win. The buck stood quartering toward me. >> This can often be caused by Third Party plug-ins. Available. Properties in your browser or network settings have been modified and appear abnormal. That bullet may take 0.2 more seconds to reach the target. Due to wind the heavier bullet is therefore bucking any wind better which results in better accuracy. Customer experience was, and still is, the primary focus, a key to the firms longevity and success. For bigger game such as elk or bear, I'll select a baseline cartridge such as a 200-grain .338 Federal and compare its 100-yard energy to the long-range energy profiles of the same-weight bullets in a .338 Win. >> 24 0 obj for a balance of flat trajectory, maximum muzzle energy, highest bullet SD, and best momentum. Mag. /GS0 10 0 R Messages. That means the wind has 0.2 more seconds to act on the bullet and push it off course. endobj /ca 0.699997 .270 WinchesterThe .270 is very resistant to wind drift when coupled with a high BC bullet. /ExtGState << A-Frame, for a tough and deep strike. Brand: Thompson Center. The two most important variables are the Initial Velocity and the Ballistic Coefficient. With the best magnum performance in a standard action, the 30 Nosler was introduced as a more evolved cartridge option. He is a well-known entrepreneur, having started many successful online brands, and lives in St George, Utah. >> The .338 Winchester Magnum is one of the most popular magnum cartridges for large American game. In a 10mph wind, the 7mm-08 drifts on average 1 at 100 yards, 2.7 at 200 yards, 6.5 at 300 yards, and 12.5 at 400 yards. /FunctionType 2 (140 Sp at 3100) .435 +2.5" +2.3" 3"@150 303 6.8mm Rem. /BM /Normal You can find an email form and contact information here. Ive whacked just my about everything with my 300 wsm. $ 34.99 - $ 150.99. Head to the range this week with American Rifleman staff as they discuss a trim little repeater from Savage Arms that comes chambered for the .22 WMR cartridge. x+20W032T534S536P(J /ca 1 << A Leupold 6.5-20 scope was installed in Leupold bases and rings. An honest assessment suggests the 338 Win. >> In ballistics catalogs the point of maximum bullet rise is often called the mid-range trajectory, or sometimes the maximum ordinate. Maybe even more important the moderate velocity makes the . Item Number: 5430VD. /Extend [true true] /Filter /FlateDecode In years gone by, when shooters want to find a cartridge with excellent ballistics, they often look at how much the bullet drops in its trajectory; however, with the popularity of laser rangefinders, the amount of drop is not nearly as important as the wind drift or wind deflection of the bullet. Well for 500yds I would look at a 260, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm-08, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 308, 30-06, 280/AI, 270. . /Length 24 0 R It kicked a few times, but was dead before I reached it. BULLET TIME OF FLIGHT Suppose you shoot two bullets of the same design and caliber, but for one of the cartridges, you put in less gun powder. The following data was developed in a McMillan Talon rifle, with a 26-inch barrel. Trajectory (Path of Bullet) Cartridge Name Bullet Weight Bullet Type Product Code B/C Muzzle 100 Yards . 10 0 obj The most common bullets loaded for the .338 Winchester range from 200 gr (13 g) to 250 gr (16 g). xA /Matrix [1 0 0 1 0 0] Copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise. /BM /Normal The table below is designed to serve as a starting point from which a shooter can work. 29 0 obj . . At 500 yards, it drifts 19.5 and at 1,000 yards it drifts 95. >> Since 1939, more hunters have relied on Remington Core-Lokt than any other big game ammunition, and rightly so. Thanks to their .338-inch diameter, .338 bullets can weigh as much as 250-grains and still shoot about as flat as a 180-grain 300 Win. There are really only three factors that affect the wind drift of a bullet: (1) wind speed, (2) the bullets time of flight, and (3) the ballistic coefficient of the bullet. 1) I find no fault with either choice as a big game cartridge. Designed exclusively for defense. Used as such it can save a lot of trial and error experimentation. The .338 Winchester Magnum can is used on medium sized game and large sized game by hunters all over the world. Requested URL: www.sportsmansguide.com/ballisticscharts/rifle/.338%20winchester%20magnum, User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.5 Safari/605.1.15. << The 338 win mag, with a 225 grain bullet has a muzzle velocity of 2850 and 4200 ft lbs with the Superformance ammo. Recoil was still more than apparent shooting 225-gr. Thank you. Its good to learn to estimate wind by yourself, but itll be difficult to gain that skill without a kestrel to give you exact numbers on what you observe. << This is unequalled in most calibers not utilized on dangerous game. Required fields are marked *. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Newly Published base of comparison. Ultra-high velocity, magnum ammunition is how Roy Weatherby got started in the 1940s. /OP false Done (0.39 seconds). The ballistic performances based off of four grain type muzzle velocities are 2,950 ft/s (200 gr), 2,800 ft/s (225 gr), 2,655 ft/s (250 gr), and 2,489 ft/s (275 gr). /X0 18 0 R 8. If you drop a dumbbell and a paperback book off a building and all else is equal, which one lands first? G1 BC of around 0.83 or a G7 BC of about 0.42 is commonly adopted by the users of this bullet, for making long-range trajectory predictions using ballistics calculators. 13 0 obj /AIS false Rifle Trajectory Table By Chuck Hawks In order to hit a distant target a rifle must be correctly sighted-in, and to accomplish that the . But pertaining to your question, with proper hand loads both can be souped up to much better ballistics. /OPM 1 After looking through Hornady's website, the 300 win mag with a 180 grain bullet comes out of the tube at 3100 fps with Hornady's Superformance Ammo, with it, comes 3900 ft lbs of energy. /CS0 13 0 R The bear snapped at the sting of the bullet then ran into a line of dark alders as the sun set. /OP true /Shading << Hornady The below 338 Winchester Mag ballistic table shows 200 grain Hornady SST Superformance rounds. Before we get too far into this topic, we need to discuss what we even mean when we talk about wind deflection or wind drift. /OPM 1 So dont think of the time of flight as being a function of just the bullet weight. This calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and velocity. 12 0 obj GREAT round. This rifle/cartridge combo is not for the best choice for a recoil sensitive shooter. . /XObject << was inspired by big-bore aficionados such as Elmer Keith. To save space, the following abbreviations are used in the table below: Wb = Weight of bullet (in grains); MV = Muzzle Velocity (in feet per second); BC = Ballistic Coefficient; MRT = Mid-Range Trajectory; yards = yds. /Resources << /CA 1 /SMask /None stream Over the seasons those bullets killed quite a few mule deer, elk and black bears with one shot apiece, always punching clear through the game.Nosler 225-gr. I do not know anything about factory ammo. endobj In order to hit a distant target a rifle must be correctly sighted-in, and to accomplish that the shooter must have some working knowledge of the bullet's trajectory. /Type /ExtGState With a case capacity of 114.2 gr, the 338 Lapua can hold over 30% . >> Mag. stream With an extremely long effective range, the 338 Lapua has successfully bridged the gap between 300 Win Mag and 50 BMG. Given a 10mph wind and an average load, it drifts just 0.3 at 100 yards, 14.5 at 500 yards, and 69 at 1,000 yards. /SA false The email address you entered is not valid. 338 Winchester Magnum Ballistics Charts: Register to save your loads for viewing at a later time. 300 yds . All these calibers are more than capable to 500yds and more. Most of the loads below are similar to popular factory loads for the selected cartridges. This difference in case length directly affects case capacity. And in 2018, the Marine Corps gave the round the nod for its Mk13 M7 sniper rifle, replacing the 7.62 NATO cartridge. .264 Win. As you might expect, the RCM has a sizable advantage in terms of energy, too. After looking through Hornady's website, the 300 win mag with a 180 grain bullet comes out of the tube at 3100 fps with Hornady's Superformance Ammo, with it, comes 3900 ft lbs of energy. >> Unlike the.338 Lapua, the.338 Win Mag is capable of being chambered in some of the most popular bolt action and semi auto hunting rifles out there. /Domain [0 1] The bull pitched over forward. . All trajectory figures are rounded off to one decimal place. This can be useful in comparing cartridges or loads. My Marlin 336 in 35 Remington has the same sight in, as does my Marlin 95 in 44 Kodiak (a .429 wildcat based on the 45-70 and launching 300 grain slugs at 2250). endobj The Winchester engineers had shortened the .375 H&H case to 2.500", and necked it either up or down to hold .458", .338" and .264" diameter bullets, releasing the trio of new magnums in 1958. Put 190-210s in a 300wm and you will be happy. Copyright 2002, 2016 by Chuck Hawks. 20 0 obj ShootersCalculator.com is in the process of being massively overhauled. endobj Mag. .338 Winchester Magnum 265 grains, 2675 fps, .778 BC (highest tested). << /AntiAlias false Comparing the .338 Winchester to the .33 Nosler, you'll see the .338 driving a 225-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity between 2750 /Filter /FlateDecode Vor-Tx Rifle. I took a seat with a wide view in hopes a spooked elk might run past.The .338 Win. In 1958 Winchester introduced the 338 Win Mag, the 264 Win Mag, and the 458 Win Mag. Notify Me When Available. Hand loading brass is also available from manufacturers such as Hornady and Federal. Get the most of rimfire with loads that offer both accuracy and violent expansion on impact. /Length 22 0 R Must add the Federal Dry Bag to your cart, one per order. Its time-proven performance has made it hunting's first choice for over 75 years. BALLISTICS COEFFICIENT What would drift more in the wind: a piece of paper, or a paperclip? In a 10mph wind, it drifts 5.4 at 100 yards, 18.9 at 200 yards, and 39.2 at 300 yards on average. Out to 700 yards with 180 gr Accubonds. 45 Cartridge. Make precision personal with our wide selection of custom rifle loads. 338 Win Mag 230 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter 7mmSTW 175 gr ELD-X HL 338 edge 300 gr partion Keep in mind this is an approximation and although it is quite accurate it should never replace first-hand experience of shooting your specific firearm and ammunition to determine the bullet drop and windage at different ranges and conditions. /AIS false /CS /DeviceCMYK Drop at 1000: 194 inches. . Love this post Though the 6.8 Western is more powerful than the 6.5 Creedmoor, it performs similarly in the wind. Remington Core-Lokt Rifle. The .300 WinMag maxes out its effective range for medium game at 1150 yards. A maximum rise of 3 inches is appropriate for hunting the smaller species of big game, creatures from perhaps 75 pounds to 150 pounds on the hoof, which typically have a kill zone of about 8 inches from top to bottom. The rifle cartridges with the lowest wind deflection at 1,000 yards are the: (1) 6.5-300 Weatherby, (2) .26 Nosler, (3) .50 BMG, (4) .28 Nosler, and (5) 6.5 Weatherby RPM. /ColorSpace 13 0 R Sighting-in a hunting rifle to hit a certain number of inches high at 100 yards (or 100 meters) maximizes the point blank range of the rifle and cartridge and is superior to zeroing at a fixed distance like 200 yards. It resists wind drift well. A few days later I shot a bull moose on the bank of a mountain river. Re: Zero range for a 338? /C0 [100 0 0] Finally I sat down at the handloading bench to develop some light-recoiling practice loads. Use this ballistic calculator in order to calculate the flight path of a bullet given the shooting parameters that meet your conditions. The .338 Winchester Magnum is adequate for hunting heavy game weighing up to 600kg (1300lb) and sometimes heavier, utilizing premium bullet designs doing its best work when used at closer ranges where impact velocity is high in order to maximize wounding potential. I handloaded those bullets in the chance a long-shot presented itself. The company made its humble start in 1963in Gussago, Italywhen Giuseppe Pietta made a commitment to produce guns as authentic and true-to-original as possible. %PDF-1.4 The .338 Winchester Magnum is capable of launching heavier bullets than the .30 caliber (7.62mm) cartridges. If I was not planning on shooting past 800 yards I would definitely go with the 300 mag. These bullets have a history of shedding their jacket, coming apart, quickly losing their energy and not penetrating well into the vitals on some hits on elk size game. However, just to give you an idea of the benefits of the 300 PRC over the .300 Win Mag at long range, consider this: the .300 Win Mag has 20 (~8%) more bullet drop at 1,000 yards and 96 (12%) more bullet drop at 1,500 yards with a 200 yard zero. >> /BM /Normal /ca 1 Stuff the .300 with about 73 grains of IMR 4831 powder, and it should kick that bullet out at 3,150 fps. Winchester Ballistics Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds. By adding trajectories to the panel on the right you may produce charts and graphs that show the different trajectories side by side. .338 Winchester Magnum essentially splits the difference between the (left) .300 Winchester Magnum and the (right) .375 H&H Magnum. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Mag. .338 Winchester Magnum Ballistics Ballistics and Drop for the .338 Winchester Magnum Cartridge Type: Rifle Height: 2.5" Width: 0.532" Average FPS: 2819 Average Energy: 3916 Average Gr: 222 Recoil: 2.93 Power Rank: 6.26 of 20 The .338 Winchester Magnum was designed in 1958 by Winchester Repeating Arms Company. Just after daylight the three spotted some elk in the distance and they were off on the chase. Rifle true zero at 275 Yards. Furthermore, the muzzle energy of a .300 Weatherby Magnum round averages out to 4070 ft-lb, while a .338 Winchester Magnum round averages out to about 3920 ft-lb. and 250-gr. The optic is topped off with a bullet drop compensator to give the shooter an efficient holdover for . 338 Winchester Magnum Suggested Bullet Use Suggested Bullet Use Maximum Loads Should Be Used With Caution - Always Start With Minimum Loads. Some of the 30 cal rounds developed during this time include the .300 H&H Magnum in 1925, and the .300 Weatherby Magnum in 1944. Muzzle velocity of a .338 with 200 grain bullet = 2630 Bullet drop at 300 yards with zero at 200 yards - .30-06 with 180 grain bullet = 8.6 inches Bullet drop at 300 yards with zero at 200 yards - .338 with 200 grain bullet = 9.4 inches There is not an appreciable difference between these two cartridges. Heading to Colorado this fall and starting to develop a load for my 338 win mag, always ran the 225 gr accubond; they've pounded black bear and mule deer, but started looking into the 210 gr Barnes ttsx and the 230gr Hornady eld-x, the accubond had acceptable accuracy but wasn't "great" 1.25-1.5". of . SST bullets produced about half the kick as a maximum amount of the propellant. /Type /ExtGState endstream . 26 0 obj Or he can shoot a lighter bullet, like a Nosler 225-grain AccuBond or Barnes 210-gr. GunnersDen.com ~ >> While magnum rounds were not novel at the time of the 300 Win Mag's introduction, that it featured America's favored .30 caliber bullet set it on course to the widespread popularity it enjoys today. 71 At this distance, the .308 Win is out of the game and the .300 WinMag is still good for medium game. It will a produce a line graph showing the bullet drop and flight path of the bullet. >> The following data was taken from various sources including reloading manuals and the online Ballistics Calculator provided by BigGameInfo. Throwing 200- to 225-grain bullets 2,950 to 2,800 fps, the 338 Win. /Matrix [1 0 0 1 0 0] What Makes a Great .338 Win Mag Scope. /Range [-128 127 -128 127] /Encode [0 1 1 0] It in no way increases the amount you pay and helps us stay in business. A .338 shooter has the option of shooting a heavy bullet, like Swift 275-gr. An overview of the .338 caliber for use on medium game is given in the .338 Winchester Magnum text and those considering using any of the .338's on medium game are urged to read these as a foundation. About noon I hiked along the edge of a timbered draw toward another vantage point.. .28 NoslerThe .28 Nosler is one of the best cartridges in the world for resisting wind drift. stream /C1 [49.0196 20 41] Factors to Consider when Buying a Scope for .338 Win Mag. Jim Harmer is a host of the Backfire Youtube channel. bullets at 350 yardsand farther. That was enough of a recommendation for me to buy a Ruger M77 chambered in .338 back in 1981. endobj P300WTA1. I might not have explained this exactly so all you long range guys don't blow me up on this. AccuBond bullets handloaded in the .338 Win. This year, H&R announced an expansion of its AR-15 lineup, bringing additional "retro" models to the market, including a 9 mm Luger-chambered Colt SMG clone, an M16A2-styled rifle and the carbine-size 723. << << endobj Quantity: Add to cart. The next weekend I hiked all morning through spruce thickets and around frozen swamps. These numbers assume a 10mph cross-wind. I started hiking over, but stopped part way there when a grizzly came out of the draw. >>] bullets at maximum speeds. I eventually started shooting various 225-gr. In the table below I used the term "mid-range trajectory," abbreviated "MRT.". /ca 1 Pretty much most of my thoughts have been expressed. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Top end for the .308 might reach 2,615 fps. JMHO! ; inches = "; MPBR = Maximum Point Blank Range; BT = Ballistic Tip; FP = Flat Point, HP = Hollow Point; RN = Round Nose; Sp = Spitzer; SP = Spire Point; SSp = Semi-Spitzer. Firing a 210 gr. Select Your Gun Type Centerfire Handgun Centerfire Rifle Handgun Hunting Handgun Target/Defense The 1100 was stretching it for this cartridge. Your email address will not be published. He has managed multiple gun ranges, and has hunted around the world. However, the .338 is back in service due to the increasing number of grizzly bears where I hunt. There are two common models for ballistics coefficient: the g1 and the g7. << except to the shooter! I watched deer going in and out of a long and timbered draw. A second grizzly came out and I left.The author harvestedthis whitetail with his .338. The .458" and .264" bore diameters were certainly no strangers to the hunting and shooting community; those bore diameters date back to the . .\ stream Carries like a 380 Auto. We'll display standard charts for a classic grid look, or select "Visualize" for an enhanced visualization of the data. Select Caliber: .338 winchester magnum Name Mfg Part # All Brands Caliber Style Weight (grains) Thus, the time it takes for a bullet to reach the target is an important factor in determining wind drift. vx$&ON9V$)A~!Umju+>+r?#YLDW may be the better option then the 300 Win. 6.5 PRCThe 6.5 PRC is one of the best rifle cartridges for avoiding wind deflection. Mag. Drop at extended distances. >> Mag. bullets. 110 A-Frame bullets. 300 win mag 3200 fps with 180 grain .6 bc cutting edge bullet. These figures tell me the "hundred-yard equality" distance for those cartridges compared to the energy of a .30-30. 16 0 obj The AccuBond had punched through both lungs and gone out the front of the far shoulder. /BM /Normal was only chambered in the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan. Left to right; .308 Winchester (7.6251mm NATO), .300 Winchester Magnum (7.6267 mm) and .338 Lapua Magnum (8.670 mm) cartridges showing their dimensional differences . Jul 28, 2011. Two great brands have finally come together. Didn't think it would lose that much velocity. 14 0 obj The drop data confirms that .300 WinMag has a flatter trajectory than the 6.5 CM, but not quite as flat as the .338 LM at extended distances beyond 500 yards. >> A 30-06 does not drift 6.3 at 100 yards in a 10 mph crosswind. He had gone to bed in his pup tent and during the night a grizzly had poked its nose in the tent door. done deal. Copyright 2023 ShootersCalculator.comALL rights reserved. And a hunter desiring flat trajectory and long reach along with best bear protection can load the magazine with 300-grain bonded bullets, then carry some . With top quality hunting bullets the 225 accubond and 225 ttsx, which has a much higher bc than listed, put more crushing energy down range than comparable 30 caliber bullets out of a 300 winchester. >> This is a big reason why many (if not most) long-range shooters prefer rounds like the 338 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor over the 270 Winchester, even though 270 has a rather flat trajectory. When it was introduced in 1958, the .338 Win. You may think the weight of the dumbbell would make it drop faster, but it doesnt. *2PHwR\P@at&rg(gp! 1492.5. .243 WinchesterIn general, the .243 Winchester is very resistant to wind drift despite its light caliber. . Mag., the .338 Win. To put this into perspective, the 338 Lapua Mag has 88% more recoil than the 300 Win Mag when used in the same rifle. JavaScript is disabled. /ExtGState << The recoil on the rifle for the .338 Winchester Magnum is considered to be rather powerful, leading to some hunters preferring not to use the round. You are using an out of date browser. I want this to be the best ballistic trajectory calculator out there. While there are many reasons this may happen, some common causes are: You do not have access to www.sportsmansguide.com. Those numbers have come down a little today, and current voluntary . Because of the low ballistics coefficients of most .223 bullets and the relatively mild velocities, it does not buck wind as well as some other cartridges. Input your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs. Your browsers UserAgent string has been modified and is invalid or does not match other characteristics of your request. That's a huge difference, as the 300 Win Mag is known for having heavy recoil itself. .338 Win Mag Trajectory shooterscalculator.com free .340 Weatherby Magnum 265 grains, 2725 fps, .778 BC. Both produced just over 4,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. It will a produce a line graph showing the bullet drop and flight path of the bullet. The 338 Lapua is a Child of the 80's and was first designed as a military round developed to punch through military grade body armor at 1,000 yards. A bull broke out of the timber and in a moment I had the rifle off my shoulder and in my hands. What Magnification Do You Need. /Length1 31756 endstream Other cartridges eventually turned my head, though, and the .338 has stood idle for the last decade.Grizzly tracks along the hunting trail are enough to make a hunter carry a rifle chambered for a big cartridge, like the .338 Winchester Magnum. 21 0 obj Your email address will not be published. 2023 Backfire LLC, a limited liability company headquartered in Utah, USA. << /op false Subscribe to my channel: http://bit.ly/RonSpomerOutdoorsSubscribeAffiliate Links:Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders (Volume 1) Paperbackhttps://amzn.to/3aOX. /GS0 11 0 R /Bounds [0.997033] The .33 Nosler sits just ahead of the .338 Winchester Magnum a fine cartridge in itselfand just behind the big .338 RUM, .338-378 Weatherby Magnum and the .338 Lapua, though there are claims that they are on par. A maximum bullet rise of 1.5 inches is appropriate for shooting small animals, as they present a small target, particularly if head shots are necessary. One thing you need to consider is most people on here quote target bullet ballistics for hunting purposes like the Amax and Berger. The case if based off of the .375 H&H Magnum by expanding the body and narrowing down the neck to fit a .338 bullet. If you do not have a Shooting Chronograph, I strongly suggest you purchase one. Wind drift and wind deflection are used interchangeably in common conversation, but wind deflection is the more correct term because it highlights how the wind makes a bullet fly slightly askew as it travels forward. While environmental factors such as altitude and ambient air temperature affect trajectory, their effect is relatively minor. 1249.6. The Federal Ballistics Calculator lets you quickly determine the trajectory for any rifle or handgun load, and save data for an unlimited number of loads. 6.5 CreedmoorThe 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge is reasonably resistant to wind drift.