The front differential is what allows your truck to make turns while the wheels are still rotating. If its below the lower mark, add more fluid. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. So, I elected to put off my rear diff drain and refill with Synthetic GM gear oil until my next oil change which will still satisfy my desire to get that fluid changed fairly early and fit it into my budget. So after talking to a bunch of people, they suggested I just use a synthetic gear oil and I have had no issues since I did it starting about 25K miles agohope this will help. Doing basic service for your 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 you're not only saving money, but also also improving your technical skills and learning something new. Take advantage of the My Garage feature to easily store your vehicles specs so you can quickly find and buy the parts you want. Its a simple way to help keep your vehicle running smoothly. Feb 13, 2015. dtricks said: About 2 years ago I installed a 1 piece Fel-Pro gasket into my oil pan of a 69 Chevy Nova with an SBC 350. A forum community dedicated to Chevy and GMC Duramax diesel owners and enthusiasts. If youve ever seen a huge box between the cargo vans or trucks rear axle, youve witnessed where the differential fluid is kept and what it does. Please be noted that all capacities listed here are approximate. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. That answers my how much to buy question. For the engines that use 5W-30, during extreme temperatures and operating under -20F, 0W-30 oil can be used in its place. The differential, drive shaft, U-joints, and drive axles are all at risk of damage. The cover will stick to the housing, so pry it off with a pry bar or screwdriver while being careful not to bend it. Due to my restraints in resources at home, I decided to have my local dealership perform this service. Check your vehicles service handbook to see what Differential Fluids are appropriate for your car. This is because Red Line's Shockproof t Walmart Super Tech Full Synthetic Differential Fluid is all you need. I do my part and recycle. LOL. Recheck fluid level after filling. Clear editor. This enables you to both check your Diff Fluid Level at a glance and also the color of it as well - Mine is clear after like 9k miles now. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. This is usually located near the engine, on the side of the car. Do you have some data, service manual, bulletin or just found a mistake? Thanks Hobey. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Front Side Marker LED Light Bulb Size (Base, LS, LT, LTZ) 2825 LED. Use the correct fluid, as specified in your cars owners handbook, unless otherwise directed by your manufacturer. This is a case of someone repeating bad information vs being an expert. Tow Mule. The specific lubricant for the rear axle is just a synthetic fluid to mix with a non synthetic gear oil. Fast, free shipping available. If you own a Chevrolet Silverado, you may be wondering about the front differential fluid capacity. It is a later model 350 Crate engine that has the curved oil pan near the front. We offer a wide range of products to keep your Duramax healthy and functional, and with free shipping on orders over $49 in the U.S., placing your order is a breeze. Show example Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Differential/Gear Oil Replacement prices Never had a problem. Another great feature on the app for vehicle sellers is the ability to upload a picture of your license plate, which eBay then uses to grab all the pertinent details of your vehicle for selling, including uploading your VIN number. I run the Royal Purple stuff from end to end in the Vette. 88958860 -- or super DOT-4 brake fluid. okay.The manual says 75w-90 for the rear and 80w-90 for the frontbut I didn't know if it needed to be something specific or the actual gm stuff being that it's the locker axle. Although the life of differential fluid is unpredictable, it is rarely filtered. Differential fluid helps to lubricate the gears and bearings in your differential, and its important to make sure that theres enough fluid in the system. Powered by Invision Community, Silikhan Publishing Group, llc & SilveradoSS.com. I did mine about 1.5 years ago I used Mobil 1 75-90 in both front and rear with no additive in my 2008 NBS. For the oil type itself, You'll want to use 75W-90 synthetic gear oil; any brand is going to be fine. Its messy, and it takes more work because you have to re-seal the cover. Differential fluid is essential for proper function of your 44 trucks front differential. I should buy stock in them or Mobil 1. I would go with a full synthetic as it holds up and lasts longer. For easier filling, use a fluid pump. Synslide is also designed to displace water from metal if youve gotten some in your rear differential. 2014 Chevrolet SILVERADO 1500 PICKUP 4.3L 6 -cyl Engine [H] LV3 Flex Fuel Change Engine Quarts LITERS Change Vehicle View Previous Version Engine Transmission Differential Transfer Case Other Fluids Additional Products Create an Oil Change Kit Hide Kit Pricing Options: $120.29 Retail Price ( USD) Preferred Price: $92.54 Save: $27.75 Learn More Because the steerable rear axle is constructed of plastic, it requires synthetic gear oil, just like the standard axle. Use liquid thread sealer on the bolts threads. Here's a little info on it Red Line's Full-Synthetic Shockproof Gear Oil is unlike anything you've tried before. 1.2K 95K views 5 years ago #3rdGenSilverado #3rdGenDIYs We are shooting a three part mini series showing how to change the gear lube on Cliff's 2014 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L Eco Tec V8. If you have questions, give our team a call at 800-341-6516. Remove the plug and add the fluid until it reaches the level of the fill plug hole. Redline makes some good lubricants for sure, but at a very hefty price that IMHO just not needed in most applications. Once the cover is off, you can check the level of the fluid. Spray brake fluid inside the differential cover as well. All except 6.2L with 8-Speed transmission, Key lock cylinders, hood hinges, body door hinge pins, tailgate hinge and linkage, fuel door hinge, tailgate handle pivot points, hinges, latch bolt, and linkage, Front axle driveshaft splines (four-wheel drive) and rear axle driveshaft splines (two-wheel drive with automatic transmission), Rear drive line center spline (two-piece drive shaft). BND Automotive LLC:driving: 440-821-9040. Best Answer. car The differential casing can be found under the truck in the middle of the driveshaft. Is that quart bottles? Share . Any time you drive through water, at least before coming home from that off-road trip, checking your rear differential fluid is a good idea. May 11, 2009. bigjerm7 said: 2009 Duramax 3500HD 4x4 Dually. Set up jack stands. Its a pungent sulfur smell that youll immediately recognize if you encounter it; if you detect it, theres a problem. It's all may be done by yourself in a mater of a couple of hours. When turning, the inside wheel spins slower than the outside wheel; this difference is what gives rise to its name. You'll find it with the diff fluid at Napa and Autozone (that I know of) for about $8. It needs to lubricate the clutches, gears, and bearings in the rear end. General Motors recommends using the maker's own hydraulic fluid -- GM Part No. The riding mower and the Celica get the used oil from the Vette. Jack up the rear of the car on suitable jack points. The front differential oil capacity is 0,75 litres. If you use RP or RedLine synthetic diff fluid then you don't need the additive. Learn more about how this works. You dont want any dirt getting into the housing with your fresh fluid. Align the bolt holes with the housing covers corresponding holes, and then insert a gasket (if applicable). All do-it-yourself projects entail some risk. The blue stuff. Add this car For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Pay later or over time with Affirm. The differential may start to drain as soon as you loosen the lower bolts, but it also may stick. Fluid type/capacity chart Fluid type/capacity chart. Otherwise, you may damage the differential. 2014 sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab, Std Box SLT 4WD Z71. Fresh fluid should be poured in and the car lowered once again. Once youve found the dipstick, pull it out and wipe it clean. The clutch packs in the locker need special lube, but you also put in regular gear oil. Product code: (SVGPK-EA) . . A 4.11:1 differential multiplies torque by 4.11 times what came out of the transmission, which is already multiplied by your transmission from the engine. Nov 10, 2010. ntbush83 said: Mobil1 or royal purple 75w-90 for the rear. All the Super tech Brand fluids are quality and I run them in all my vehicles that I can. The Vette is part street and part track, road course racing. Please let me know if I can answer any questions. There are many different types of differential fluids on the market, but not all of them are created equal. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. If the fluid is dark or smells burnt, it may need to be replaced. Torque to spec, check for leaks, and youre good to go for another few years. If youre changing the fluid yourself, youll need to purchase this amount. Provides reliable and convenient access to the underside of your vehicle as well as nestability for maximum storage space. Synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 19300457. 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Oil Capacity, Type and Filter Type. It can also help reduce startup wear even at arctic temperatures. Because your vehicle turns left and right, the wheels need to spin at different speeds, and the magic bits in your rear diff make that happen. I'm guessing you don't use the Auto4hi setting much. How much would it run me if I had them change the fluids in my 03 Silverado Z71? Add the suggested fluid and/or limited-slip additive, if required. If youre not sure how much front differential fluid your 2003 Silverado needs, consult your owners manual. Other signs include a burning smell coming from the differential area or gear changes that are not as smooth as they used to be. Thats what allows it to deliver great film strength as well as helping to reduce wear and spalling of your gears under high torque use. 2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. i had flud change as soon as i did started make a noise, old gress had no mettle, now sound like pineion barreing going out, what not taken in consideratstion is one huge point, To check the gear oil on a Subaru the front diff is built into the transmission housing. Subscribe to receive inspiration, news, and ideas in your inbox. And Valvoline syn ATF for xfer case. Place the differential cover with the interior surface up and lay down a continuous line of gasket maker along the center of the housing mating surface. This site is intended for reference only. Shop for New Auto Parts at 1AAuto.com http://1aau.to/c/123/m/differential-coverIn the video, 1A Auto shows how to check and top off the front differential fluid. The synthetic diff fluid will work over a big temperature range and actually simulate more than 75w-90 range. The purpose of differential fluid is to guarantee a smooth transition of power from the engine to the wheels and consistent vehicle length between the outside and inside wheels. You have the 9.25 and the 9.5 but as a practical matter you just keep putting the fluid in until it runs out then install the fill plug code code1 code2 code3 code4 code5 code6 code7 code8 code9 code10 code11 George H., ASE Certified Technician So, I drained and filled my front diff with part # 12378261. Come join the discussion about performance, lift kits, wheels, tires, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! The information provided in this article was taken from the 2014 . Can I Bring My Own Oil And Filter to Valvoline, How Do I Reset My Central Locking On My Car, How Do I Get Dried Paint Off My Car Interior, Pull out the dipstick and clean it off with a rag, Pull the dipstick out and check the level of the fluid, The fluid should be at the full line on the dipstick. Remove any remaining gasket remnants from the differential cover and housing mating surfaces with a scraper. If you have a Silverado from 1999 or earlier, youll need to use a Dexron III fluid. Cab, Long Bed [-]TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs [/-] ), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed. The second step is to open the fill plug, and not the drain. The pump came with 3/8 clear tubing.