Match officials, for a change, were very good, with linesmen actually helping the referee by making decisions! Although it only has three sides, meaning that wen the weather is bad, as it was on this evening you are pretty exposed to it. Lloyd Jones then got sent off for a second yellow and to rub salt into the Swindon wounds. There will be a 1 surcharge however unless you pay at the window or print your ticket a home. The ground is clean, quite smart, good structure. . It stops at Grenoble Road on the south side of the stadium. There really is no excuse for not finding it by car. As a Torquay United fan of far too many years and living in Berkshire this is a relatively easy trip. There were assorted pies and sausage rolls available. FA Cup 6th Round, February 29th, 1964. The following information is available to download here: Ticket office: 01865 337533 [email protected], Supporter Liaison Officer: [email protected]. So overall a great day out for Southend particularly as results elsewhere ensured we still had a chance of automatic promotion in our last game at home to Macclesfield. The Kassam Stadium was signposted really well. They may also be included in hospitality packages. Although the stand is covered it is quite exposed. We first went to the Jam Factory near the railway station. It took me about 20 minutes to get to the A34 roundabout which was gridlocked ao I decided to take the A4074(?) Cash Machine A cash machine is located beside the VUE cinema. Torquay's defence wobbled, creaked, got lucky but at the death held firm. It departs from bus stop S2 which is located in Speedwell Street in the City Centre. It was an easy drive. We could have sold even more tickets for this game. Just looks very odd to say the least. I went to the fish and chip shop in Leisure complex. Before walking to the ground we sat in our car listening to commentary on Southampton confirming promotion v Coventry and enjoyed a picnic prepared by wife/mum. Reason for going: Didn't go by public transport, but initial thoughts are that it would be rather awkward. Due to very limited space, parking is for permit-holders only. The Kassam Stadium is three quarters of quite an impressive ground. Temporary and limited 3-hour permits may be approved for site bookings. Had a few beers in the hotel waiting for a mate who sadly was delayed so Frankie & Benny's was rammed by the time we got there, so had a couple of drinks and made do with a burger in the ground. Conveniently located at London Oxford Airport, it is the perfect place to start EASA Integrated ATPL pilot training. Call cost 55p per minute plus your telephone company's network access charge. Given that we had plenty of time we did very little. The new 4.9m sports park, in Horspath Road, will be home for all Oxford Uniteds outdoor training, including for the first team, under 18s and academy. I found out why the only spaces left free in the car park were near the ground. It was an unlikely team that we were drawn with no one expected this, so it was a chance to tick off a new ground and have a great day out, I went. The food and beer choices here were excellent. Oxford United training ground deal close. Open on matchdays from 11-3 and for an hour after the final whistle (10-19:45 for evening matches). Unfortunately I had broken a rib two weeks previously, which was quite painful. adults too Info at [email protected] We have a team of uniformed Matchday Ambassadors to help you with your visit when you arrive. The club recently moved into their new dedicated training facility in Cowley, a few miles south-east of the city and a stone's throw from BMW's Mini factory. Getting out of the ground is easy, although it took almost 15 minutes to get out of the car park. It had a number of television screens showing the early kick off and we were served fairly quickly. Comment on the game itself, atmosphere, stewards, pies, facilities etc.. Capabilities. Oxford United, Fusion Lifestyle and Oxford City Council have reached an agreement for Oxford Sports Park to become the new home of Oxford United's training facility. And the U's believe the new sports complex will not be completed by summer 2018 - raising the prospect the academy's 292 pupils will be homeless for six months. Oxford came out fighting in th second half and we're once again on top, their dominance showed with two goals in the 74th and 87th minute to send the home fans wild, deep into added on time with literally the last touch of the game Vincelot headed to equalise for the bantams earning a good point. To do this click on the cookie settings button below. The first impressions of the Kassam are poor. The stewarding was a little controversial at this match, many felt it was way to heavy handed. Oxford were the better side and frankly deserved to win today. First impressions: Oxford looked flat and we looked full of energy. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2023 Football Ground Guide. Marston Road Sports Ground is a 35 minute walk from the station through University Parks or utilise the bus directions below. Be very careful with road parking and do not park on the grass verges you will be very likely to get a parking ticket. The Kassam Stadium is quite nice, it would, of course, look better with four stands but it was a good day out for us despite the result,. Wed love to know your thoughts on how well weve achieved that goal and what you think we can do better to improve your experience (off the pitch) in future. Another couple of pubs 'The Bear' and 'Chequers' before getting the bus to ground. It costs 4 and is available from the away ticket office (cash) or the club shop (cash or card). 3), and nearby Cowley Road (1, 5, 10, 12) and to St. Clements (X13, 4A, Oxford Tube, X90) which are all within walking distance. The council said Fusion Lifestyle and United had agreed their "preferred option" was for the 25-year lease to be "reassigned" to the League One football club. Stadium is not close to the centre, and certainly not walkable from the train station. The PA announcer on the pitch attempted to get the crowd going before kick off, but when he addressed the Blackburn fans he was met by a chorus of boos! MK Dons fans held some hostility to Oxford player Rob Hall, who was at the club on loan and vowed to stay with us after we paid for his injury treatment, but then left. I have been to the Kassam Stadiumseveral times, and find no issues with it being three sided (especially since my early memories of Bramall Lane include a cricket ground along one side of the football pitch or was it a football pitch alongside one side of the cricket square?). The Argyle fans were in great voice for this game after recent results but Oxford started well and had a fee half decent chances that they failed to convert. The entrance for cars is locateddown Edgeway Road, continue down the gravel pathway at the end of Edgeway Roaduntil reaching the gate (on the right hand side) to Marston Road Sports Ground. This caf come bar has a good selection of bottled and draught beers. Lee Williams met with Scott Humphries, the training ground's twenty-five-year-old head groundsman. Disabled Supporters There are thirteen wheelchair bays on a raised platform in the away section, all with excellent views of the pitch. Once the match kicked off, it only took 16 minutes for there to be a major talking point as Oxfords John Lundstram saw a straight red for a very heavy tackle on Michael Tonge. Getting away from the ground took some time, however, this was due to an accident nearby. However there were good views of the pitch with no obstructions. The ground interested me more, but couldn't understand where the missing stand is? Parking was also free, which was a very welcomed surprise. Strangely, there were bouncers on one set of doors but not the other set further down the building which gave access to the same bar. The home side were on top throughout the first half, however, Bradford took a 1-0 lead into half time through a superb strike by Omari Patrick. Only space I found was very near ground. The pitch looked well cared for and good enough for the highest standards of football. Before the game started, a minutes silence was observed perfectly by all inside the stadium following the horrific events in Brussels. Take the bus towardsthe city centre or walk straight to the sports complex (15 mins). Another good atmosphere mainly from our lot, with a smattering of Yellows, Yellows to be heard from the odd corner. Adults 24, Over 65s 17, Under 22s/Students 16, Under 18s 14. Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 7.45pm There is loads of car parking available at the stadium and it is free but be prepared for a long wait getting out of the car park after the match. Overall the Kassam Stadium is very nice considering there are only three stands with one end behind the goal missing. I took the supporters coach which left at 8:45am and arrived at Oxford around 1:20pm. Parking The stadium has unreserved spaces for around 2,000 cars at each game. Aviation Academy And we sat in the car waiting for at least 15 minutes before even bothering to join the non-moving queue. The second half was way better with Oxford upping the tempo and putting Torquay under pressure for long spells. Thu, Feb 17, 17:00. In particular we would like to thank Darryl Eales who has believed in this project throughout his time as Chairman and I think leaves this as a fantastic parting gift for the club, and our new Chairman Tiger who understands the importance of top class training facilities to help move the whole club forward., Mark Munday, Divisional Business Manager for Fusion Lifestyle, said: We are thrilled to have made this agreement with Oxford United. For further information on how to get to the parks, please use the button below to visit the parks website. Both sets of fans generated a pretty good atmosphere considering the game was a fairly dull 1-1 draw. I spent ten minutes or so after the game in a queue for the 3A bus back to the city centre. Even more so with a goalkeeper debutant and without striker Rene Howe (suspended). There is not much around the ground in terms of pubs and eating establishments, although refreshments inside the stadium are okay, although if there is a large away support, then it can take quite a while to get served. There is usually a smoking pen available for use at half-time only. Fortunately I only missed the opening few minutes of the game. The match was surprisingly competitive despite the sweltering conditions. A good day out despite the result. The congestion was abysmal, the lack of traffic management (by lack of I mean, there wasn't any! Another day trip with my five year old son. . Permits are provided for members of the sports centre, which can be applied-for at reception. Sue stocks the current matchday programme; 50/50 (half time draw) tickets; a wide selection of souvenir badges and many other items of OUFC memorabilia. A small obsession with beating Oxford United in his head he thought it was going to be a walk in the park. So no complaints from me. Disappointing to find the ground still has only three stands with an open end with no access for fans behind that goal. Oxford were definitely up for it, their (on loan from Man City) No32 Isaac Buckley-Ricketts was a handful. About a 15 minute walk, through the underpass, past Franky and Bennys and straight into the away end. There are 1,600 car parking spaces at the stadium itself, which are free. Visitors travelling from London may like to use theOxford Tube or catch the bus from the train station. Oxford Station is approximately five miles from the stadium. The new proposal is set to be approved by Oxford City Council next Wednesday. Copyright Football-Stadiums.co.uk 2015-2023 - Do Not Reproduce Without Permission | About - Contact - Advertising- Privacy, Grenoble Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, OX4 4XP. I look forward to each game in a new ground to me, this was English stadium No.78. U18s face Bristol Rovers at home on Saturday at the Oxford United Training Ground (11am) #OUFC. See below for parking arrangement. The usual overnight Megabus Dundee to London Victoria, then tube to Marleybone and a one hour train journey to Oxford. A lot of new builds have a statue of a former player outside as mentioned just now Oxford has chosen to have a statue of a bull at their stadium, not that they are without famous players of course! From Central London take the A4 to the M4 then the M40. Some of the best officials I have seen all season although it seemed a bit harsh to book two of our players for time wasting? Views from the away section are good Portsmouth following never sit down so again we stood, my boy on the back of the seats in front and me standing behind him holding him up. Inside the bowling alley there is a bar, which also has Sky television and a fast food outlet. Then Oxford sealed the 3 points by getting another penalty and scoring making it 3-0 full time. Please make sure you lock your bike securely (D-Lock is recommended), only to cycle racks and not site handrails and barriers. FREE GIRLS ONLY GOALKEEPING EVENT FOR KIDS IN OXFORD WITH SIMON EASTWOOD. I decided to go straight inside the stadium after that, so I didn't have any contact with home fans. The stewards were very friendly as we're the staff, facilities were ok as we're the pies. Return and day tickets bought from one operator can be used to return on the other. I had a pie which was very nice and had quite a lot of filling which made a change. It took us almost 45 minutes to travel half a mile into the car park area. The map below shows the three facilities managed by Oxford University Sport across the city of Oxford: -. Iffley Road Sports Centre is a 30 minute walk from the train station or utilise the bus directions below. It is planned that in December 2016 rail services will begin to operate from Oxford Parkway to Oxford. I picked my teams and Grand National horses in the first pub 'The St.Aldate Tavern'. I like visiting new grounds and the Kassam Stadium Oxford was to be my 49th ground visited. The atmosphere was as relaxed as could be expected for a pre-season friendly. Don't park in the car parks next to the ground. There is a special type of pitch, one of the first to have artificial grass woven into the live turf. No Shirt Sponsors: It was extremely windy that night and with kick off approaching I just went straight into the ground to get out of the elements. Again back on the bus caught from the nearby estate. Address: Grenoble Road, Oxford, OX4 4XP Telephone: 01865 337 500 Fax: 01865 337 501 Ticket Office: 01865 337 533 Pitch Size: 112 x 78 yards Pitch Type: Grass Club Nickname: The U's Year Ground Opened: 2001 Undersoil Heating: No Shirt Sponsors: Singha Kit Manufacturer: Puma Home Kit: Yellow and Blue Away Kit: White With Navy & Yellow Sash It was a little embarrassing from a Pompey fans perspective. That was two years before they joined the Football League after they won the Southern Football League. Comment on getting away from the ground after the game: Getting out was no problem, straight on to the coach and on our way. Easy to get out after a little walk. My overall impression is that Oxford is a good place to watch football. The Kassam Stadium is okay. Stewards in the ground were really friendly and made for a good afternoons football. The facility consists of three sections: The Barn, The Grange and the training pitches. The work didnt resume again until February of 2000. Breaking Oxford United training ground deal close. Park in the housing estate behind the stadium. Here are some of our preferred destinations: As is the case with any student town, Oxford has got a number of great places to go for a drink. Covid Restrictions may be in place when you visit Kassam Stadium in 2023. With space for up to 600 people they can handle pretty much anything you throw at them. They will have known, at least, that there were no evil spirits at the stadium. After the roundabout with Sainsburys on one corner, take the left turning signposted Cowley/Wallington/Oxford Science Park and you eventually come to the ground on your left. I loved my day out to Oxford loved everything about it apart from the result. Coach drivers must drop-off on Marston Road and park at the dedicated council coach parking provision at: TheUniversity of Oxford websitecarries awealthof information on getting to Oxford and visiting both the city and the Universityin general. The stadium itself looks weird considering its a three-sided ground. We set off at 6 am from Gateshead/Jarrow and headed south. I had one of the Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pies, which were definitely something to taste (8/10). 01865 337 500 Fax: Article share . This old pub is well worth a visit but is rather small and gets busy so expect to wait for a drink. After a clear run round the M25 from Sussex, I arrived earlier than planned at around 12.45. It wasn't as if it was a large crowd, particularly, just under 9,000 (although this may be large for Oxford) with 1,700 Blades in attendance. The number of pitches at the site has been increased by making more efficient use of the space to accommodate Oxford United, which will have exclusive use of four full-sized pitches and two goalkeeper training areas, as well as space to build a new pavilion. Opposite the open end there is a bowling complex and Sports bar, so we popped in there for a few pints, both sets of fans were welcomed and shirts were no bother, there was also a fast food outlet of sorts in there which seemed burgers, and southern fried chicken in a box, but we passed that one up as it wasnt long before kick off. Leave at Junction 7 for the A329 then get on the B480 and follow the signs. The Rovers area was sold out. It was an okay day out. This wasn't. Another highlight was a bunch of children standing outside the ground in the car park "giving it out" to the away fans, probably the most entertaining part of the game! I had never been to the Kassam Stadium and as Oxford United are our biggest rivals, I had to visit for this derby match. A 10 minute walk to the stadium. Rage Online Where to Eat and DrinkAt the stadium there are concessions in each concourse selling hot and cold food (including burgers and excellent pies) and drinks. While parking for free is a rare treat when out at the football, the downside is everyone is trying to squeeze out of one exit on the way back. 2 additional spaces are reserved for disabled blue badge holders. I was a little concerned about the distance between us and the exits, but I guess in an emergency you would go on the pitch, it just meant a half time comfort break was not worth the effort. If you're going to go, go really early and go bowling and for something to eat in the leisure complex, that way when your team plays rubbish you can get away from there as quickly as possible. There was quite the bottle-neck in getting away from the ground. The closest SatNav postcode for the sports ground is OX3 0HJ or you can use the interactive map above to plan your route. 5 million ( The Barn) Thorp Arch is the training ground of Leeds United. Across the road from the car park is the Ozone complex. Obviously, it never happened but there is still a special buzz in the air when the Royals visit the Kassam. The Holiday Inn Express might not seem like the natural place to go for a pre-match pint, but if youre after somewhere to have a drink near to the ground then this is about the best youre going to find. Keep an eye out for the single lane right turn into Iffley Road Sports Centre (the second right hand turn after Bannister close). A 2,000 space car park with only one exit meant that nothing moved for 40 minutes. No fireworks on the pitch perhaps but a good day if you are a TUFC fan. I would be happy to return. This will give us fantastic new facilities on the edge of the city and allow all areas of the club to work side by side, from the young players in the Academy right through to the first team. There was just about sufficient car parking, and the advantage is that it is free, but latecomers do have to park behind the Vue Leisure Complex on land that is muddy, unlit and unlined, which I imagine could cause some trouble finding your car after a night game. Although Pompey were better in the second half and got a goal back the better side won. A very poor performance from City a huge lack of commitment and application. Until time added on at the end of the half the Graham Carey / Sonny Bradley combination from a corner struck and Argyle went 1 up, cue 1,802 Argyle supporters going nuts! Coming off the M40 onto the A34 into Oxford. And another thing. This wasn't helped at one point when it looked as if the home team were running out of balls! I had time to have a quick pint in the bar which is directly underneath the Main Stand and enjoyed a chat with a couple of very friendly Oxford fans. There are loads of team scarves around the pub giving it a proper feel for football fans.