These include O'Charley's, Ninety Nine Restaurant and Pub, Village Inn and Bakers Square. They had a dish called "Tiger Cries", and I'm drooling just thinking about it. Don't be sorry for posting, we like that! While few Houston food lovers remember the place anymore, Maxim's stamp on Houston fine dining is indelible. Owned by Bill Williams. (LogOut/ Maxim's catered to Houston's new oil tycoons, like John De Menil, with fawning service and lavish prices. He was supposed to open another shop, but he never got around to it, I guess. Gatti's for sure is still around I know in Clear Lake. Bryan's 797. I've always thought of it as a poor man's jack in the Box. January 1980: Houston's "Luv Ya Blue" Oilers fans turn out in full force at the Astrodome to welcome the team back from Pittsburgh and express their sentiments about the Oilers' 27-13 loss. I believe that was the name of the place on Fuqua at Sabo. 28 Feb 2023 07:37:38 March - He gets in his share of people-watching. Hundreds of people in a variety of water craft jammed Buffalo Bayou, braving water snakes and other perils of the bayou, for the Reeking Regatta. December 1980 - Ruth Ryan, wife of Astro pitcher Nolan Ryan, en route to a time of 52 minutes, 34 seconds in the women's 6.2-mile race Saturday at Memorial Park. I believe it was the Whistle Stop(?) Comfort plates include the St. Louis-style barbecue ribs, chicken fried steak with gravy, and stacked barbecue sandwiches. Good eaters: AndyWarhol Birth of the themerestaurant Restaurant-ing with royalty Righting civil wrongs inrestaurants Theme restaurants: barns Men only Taste of a decade: restaurants,1900-1910 Celebrating restaurant cuisine Decor: glass ceilings Between courses: dont sniff thefood In the kitchen with Mme Early: black women inrestaurants Burger bloat On the menu for2010 Christmas feasting Todays specials: books onrestaurants With haute cuisine for all:Longchamps Restaurant-ing on Thanksgiving High-volume restaurants: Smith &McNells Anatomy of a restaurateur: DarioToffenetti Between courses: rate thismenu You want cheese withthat? or something similar to that, anyways. Houston Festival 1980 opened Saturday and the crowds came. This iconic seafood buffet was located on South Main Street just south of 610 South Loop. Here's another: Sizzler. I. I miss that drive threw only burger place, and they where cheap, but the BEST! 25 Classic Restaurants Every Houstonian Should Visit At Least Once, Loma Linda houston tx 1956 - Google Search, Dinner Bell Cafeteria houston tx 1954 - Google Search, Spanish Village houston tx 1953 - Google Search, Three Brothers Bakery houston tx 1949 - Google Search, Sonny's Place houston tx 1944 - Google Search, Triple A Restaurant houston tx 1942 - Google Search, Telwink Grill houston tx 1940 - Google Search, Lankford Grocery houston tx 1939 - Google Search, Guy's Meat Market houston tx 1938 - Google Search, Avalon Diner houston tx 1938 - Google Search, james coney island houston tx original -1923. October 1980 -Frank Rios, 22, examines the corpse of an alligator found shot in the 4600 block of Simsbrook in south Houston. Shamrock Hilton The hottest place in town on March 17th. I remember my bday party at Showbiz (with the bear), I think its cool we have the One of a kind "Whataburger". I saw it in California as well when I went there not too long ago. Ate there a few times as a kid too. Todds was one of the best meet markets on the Southwest Side. 1983 The Food Marketing Institute reports that 2/3 of all fish consumed in the U.S. is eaten in restaurants. There are also lots of snacky sides like fried green tomatoes, mac n cheese bites and tater tots. Though shunned by the food elite, corporate chain restaurants continued to grow and thrive. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Marfreless in River Oaks, an unmarked and eclectic bar for couples. One of Houstons first vegetarian restaurants, Hobbit Cafe is still serving up fresh veggie-friendly eats almost 50 years later. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Early vegetarian restaurants Famous in its day:Blancos Blue plate specials Basic fare: clubsandwiches Gossip feeds restaurants Image gallery: businesscards Restaurant row At the sign of the . I was on another site and someone started a blog on old 70's and 80's bars and lounges around the Detroit area it was pretty cool. Sillouhette Lounge a cozy neighborhood nudie club on the unfashionable side of Bellaire Blvd. (Austin, 1972) How about Shakey's pizza (I think it was Shakey's). I forget the name of the road now, but it was right next to the gas station there. Houston pitmaster goes viral after hilarious TV interview, MLB legend makes surprise appearance at Astros' Spring Training, Willie Nelson's new album is a lovely tribute to a fellow country legend, Two ocelots were photographed crossing a road in rare South Texas sighting, Astros GM Dana Brown sees bright future for top prospect Drew Gilbert, This is how astronauts see Houston, Texas Gulf from space with unaided eyes. Several awards were given, Texas. You had to know where it was. Located in . Marfs had sofas and curtained nooks, a great place for lovers. Updated Sep 29, 1996, 11:00pm CDT. A sketch of the planned 71-story Allied Bank Plaza building is superimposed on the downtown skyline. May 1980 - Outbound traffic on Southwest Freeway (59 South) approaching Newcastle exit. Losers included coffee shops, Cantonese Chinese and red-checkered Italian restaurants, and even sanctums of haute French cuisine. . Had the feel of a neighborhood bar, usually a good crowd, polite, well-to-do, and above all looking for love. Permitless carry means more dangerous people have easy access to guns in Texas. Daddy and Mother took us there for every celebration, birthdays and all occasions. While the restaurant may be gone, a Leo's Tex-Mex feast is forever immortalized in the double-truck photograph that graces the inside cover of ZZ Top's 1973 Tres Hombres album. Free shipping for many products! Would you happen to know the name of the restaurant before it was considered has Charlie Pyatt owed it. 1850s. Michelle Iracheta is a digital reporter in Houston. Back in December, the fast-food chain revealed its most popular menu items of 2021 and waffle fries once again reigned supreme. While it might seem hard to believe, South Main Street in the Reliant Stadium area was once home to some of Houstons most popular dining establishments. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. March 1980- Iranian Demonstration in Downtown Houston. Maxim's was named the "Restaurant of the Century" by Texas Monthly in the magazine's 1999 "Best of the Century" issue. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Shanghai Reds Red-hot happy hour with dancing and a free buffet, all with a great view right on the Ship Channel. Vice President George and wife Barbara Bush wave at crowd. Oh Yes - Houston in the 80's 1. I believe the old Mimosa Lanes site is now a hotel. With a trailer park next door, you might not have suspected the feast being served on the inside. i think they got sued by taco cabana for copying style. The food fashion cycle quickened as diners discovered a taste for arugula, radicchio, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, sushi, crab cakes, Pad Thai, mesquite grilling, and fresh ingredients. There's a Mr. Gatti's by Ft. Knox and a Gattitown (same thing) in Lexington. Many luxury restaurants rejected them as waitstaff in the belief that patrons attributed higher status to male servers. September 1980- Marie Cheatham, who plays Stephanie on CBS's Search For Tomorrow; pins a corsage on Lynnette Preston of Ross Sterling High School, the recipient of a scholarship named in honor of Miss Cheathama's mother, the late Mrs. Bettye Lou Cheatham. Fast forward 30 years, and all and so much has changed, the USA is producing some wonderful artisanal cheeses which are served in many restaurants. Paste as plain text instead, Major buildings shown, from left to right, are Pennzoil Place, Houston Lighting & Power, One Shell Plaza, Allied Bank Plaza, First International Plaza, One Allen Center, Capital Bank Plaza, and the Exxon building. Furrs!! I'm pretty sure there's a Gatti's at the corner of University and Greenbriar across from the southwest corner of the Rice campus. I think it lasted into the 90s. I fondly remember many meals at Looks consisting of a chopped steak with baked potato, or fried chicken. Restaurants were for convenience, but also for entertainment, pleasure, new experiences, and sometimes only incidentally for nourishment. E.E. Mr. Gatti's is/was all the way down here? Cream-Burger Houston Sauce Co. Boogie's Chicago Style BBQ & Homemade Burgers Alfredas soulfood cafe Cupcake Kitchen Houston Crumbville Texas Krab Kingz Seafood Soulfood Vegan Bee Fit Foods. (it was in Florida Orlando area). LOL! Coral Gables (later Dallas)- ecorse rd./ taylor. I would order either a filet mignon or fried shrimp. Originally it was solely a barbecue pit, but the restaurant expanded its menu to include a wide variety of southern comfort food. It was an A shaped building and you'd drive through between the legs of the A. Numbers Night Club. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. 2. Every weekday morning, enjoy your coffee and the buzz in your inbox. I know it was already listed above, but Pipe Organ Pizza was one of my all-time faves as a kid. local news and culture. One night, overindulged, I slept alone in the hotels crash room.. Architect Bert Ray and wife Julie, wearing his creations, try their wings from a picnic landing strip in Hermann Park. I went on invitation from friends who were gay. Two passengers of the full-size bus had minor injuries. We were youngish professionals with two kids, so were they. I used to eat a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches there when I was a kid. See story, Section 5, Page 44. Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. He studied art in Czechoslovakia before coming to the states to study medicine. Anyone who lived in middle America and grew up in the '80s likely knows the odd name G.D. Ritzy's. First founded in Ohio in 1980, the 1950s-style restaurant grew quickly, with about 100 locations at its peak. Swingin at MaxwellsPlum Happy holidays, eatwell Department store restaurants: MarshallFields Anatomy of a restaurateur: DonDickerman Taste of a decade: 1860srestaurants The saga of Alicesrestaurants The brotherhood of the beefsteakdungeon Famous in its day:Maillards Lets do brunch ornot? When the first fancy restaurant in Houston opened at the corner of Lamar and Milam in 1949, no one thought it odd that owner Camille Bermann had swiped the name from the famous restaurant in Paris. Open in Google Maps Foursquare 3606 Bissonnet St, Houston, TX 77005 (713) 667-2386 Visit Website Also featured in: 17 Excellent Dining Options For Christmas Eve and Day in Houston 16 Classic. Comment on any of these and add your own. I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet. Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents: -Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables, -Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant, -The Strawberry Patch on Westheimer, the Pappas family's country/home cooking concept (Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is there now), -Tokyo Gardens, the first place I ever had Japanese. Do you remember these things from the 1980s? Opened in 1954 by James Brady in Detroit, this family-owned restaurant now calls Novi home. ate there once, never again. Camille Bermann's Maxim's of Houston later relocated to Greenway Plaza on Richmond. Maxim's Maxim's closed in January 2001. More or less like a Luby's. Eventually, the suburbs evolved into a popular destination for dining experiences, with the citys development to the west. with no traffic mishaps. Its picturesque patio is still buzzy as can be during weekend brunch, and guests can count on longstanding favs like shrimp and stone ground grits and jalapeo fettuccine, which has graced the menu since the early 90s. Hardee's is gross. While there are still so many new restaurants to discover, these 16 Houston restaurants have stood the test of time. Between 1851 and 1863 it was owned by William Marsh Rice, the famous financier. The Nichols-Rice-Cherry House sits on its new foundation in the background of the site it formerly occupied in downtown Sam Houston park. Indulge on tender, melt-in-your-mouth brisket, pork ribs seasoned with a no-frills salt and pepper rub, fall-off-the-bone chicken, and hickory smoked sausage. he looks scared - i guess i would be too if i knew i was about to be covered in you-know-whathaha. Paralleling the growth of the food elite were chefs who became famous as they gave interviews, dashed off cookbooks, and demonstrated cooking techniques on the dais and the small screen. The cafeteria-style diner offers combo plates featuring oxtails, smothered pork chops, ham hocks, chitterlings, and pig feet; sides of mac and cheese, candied yams, and black eyed peas; and old fashioned tea cakes and banana pudding for dessert. Wasn't too bad. Police on site. Originally opening on Galveston Island in 1917, Christies Seafood Restaurant opened its first Houston location at 6703 South Main Street, near the Medical Center, in 1934. Houston Grand Opera. Bermann became famous as the apostle of French cuisine, but he once remarked that it was the chicken-fried steaks that made him rich. The first thing that really struck us was how early everyone went out to eat. Learn how a city eats, and you will learn how it lives. Cinco De Mayo on Holzworth (It burned down to the ground). In Houston, this bicyclist got a big, wet splash from a passing van at HIllcroft and Richmond, and Rice University sophomore Kristine Steinkruger, left, armed herself with a raincoat en route to a gym class. Mary Lee Donuts still exists, there is one on San Felipe near the Amegy Bank building. The Credit Union on Edgebrook was a Taco Bueno. somehow Busy bees Eat and run,please! The restaurant, located in an old house with a tree-shaded patio, has also become known for its extensive craft beer menu. BFE Rock Club. Great ballroom drunken mix. NOT SO OLD . You cannot paste images directly. We did a house swap with a family from Santa Cruz in California. Sep 29, 1996. With dinner for two easily totaling $100 [about $228 now], they learn it often means higher prices too. Not only did the Cathay House serve the best Chinese pork ribs in town, but it also had an awesome Astrodome rendering displayed on the wall, complete with twinkling lights. Despite an off-and-on economy, the 1980s was a decade in which Americans ate out more often than ever before. on Bellaire -- don't think they lasted too long. Lots of line dancing in an atmosphere of mostly Carpenter tunes ranging from the romantic to the morose. Im confused about the wording of your question and also what restaurant you are referring to. Meet the Astros prospect tearing up Spring Training, Mayor: HISD has two optionsclose school or be taken over, To get these special tacos, drive out to the Houston Ship Channel, Report: Houston ranked No. Longtime Houston Chronicle food editor Ann Criswell says, Ye Olde College Inn was the first restaurant in the United States to serve baked potatoes with all the toppings. The 1990s were. Tea Cup dining restaurant ware Green/White For Sale Vintage 1980\'s Houston Foods Co. Just like some stations get WGN, El Paso gets KTLA for free. 1985 Even as restaurant patrons in much of the country search out new restaurants and cuisines, Southerners remain loyal to cafeterias, with five major chains operating from 84 to 149 units each. (Photo: www.bellairebook.com), Writer Russell Weils family celebrate Mothers Day 1967 at Looks Sirloin Inn. Isn't there going to be a "El Pollo Loco" here in Houston comingI think way later in the year. I think the building is a bank now or something. Gallaghers - Restaurant From 1970', 1980's Gallaghers was a chain that had restaurants in SA, I-35 Windsor Park, I-10 and Wurzbach, Tidwell and 45 in Houston, Beaumont, Richardson. Most of the restaurants are located in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Oil bust 1982-1986 2. hardee's is ok, but i don't mind not having it here. I remember the color yellow, there where generally in parking lots, ONLY drive threw and CHECKERS!!! Oh, how time flies. Superb ambience, great mixologists behind the bar. In the 1980s, the Acres Homes neighborhood laid claim to two of Houston's most popular barbecue joints, Burns BBQ and Williams Smokehouse, which closed in 2007 after a fire. Meghan Overdeep. I remember that Gatti's near A&M. newsletter, 12 Houston Speakeasies to Spice Up Your Night. For dessert, have some of Mamas decadent bread pudding. Weekend Food Bets: A Chef Collab and Fish Fridays, Los Compadres: First Look at a Hidden Gem, Upcoming: Wine Dinners, Tequila Pairings and Exclusive Cellar Cuts, Become a member to support the independent voice of Houston Other West Houston restaurants offer American, contemporary American, Italian, and other ethnic cuisines as well as steak, seafood, comfort food, and sushi. del taco is going strong in the midwest. While Ive only just started reminiscing on Houston restaurants past and present (I havent even touched on my favorite subject hamburgers), our journey must end for now. Posted in 1980s, Demolished, Restaurant/Bar, TX - Greater Houston, Used to be a Pizza Hut. It is still around. A dining institution embedded in the lives of so many Houstonians will permanently shut its doors after Christmas this year. In 1993, the restaurant moved to 77 Harvard Street, after the landlord of the Shepherd location tripled the rent. The 1980s were a pretty cool time to grow up, and Austin was particularly awesome. 1830s. The current building, nautically painted white with blue trim, is easy to spot, and the lighthouse on top guides diners to plates of fresh seafood, including the famous fish sandwich, an original menu item since 1917. The Chinese craze did not fully take hold until the early 1960's. On any Saturday night, at Shmulka Bernstein on Essex Street, the average wait for a table and the privilege . May 28, 2018 - A catalog of restaurants >50 years old either still open or now closed. Just north of 610 South was Looks Sirloin Inn, owned by Sonny Look. The current Bennigan's are owned by Dallas-based Legendary Restaurant Brands . 4007 Westheimer Rd. Sheila Jackson Lee first elected to office It was famous for congealed pear salad with French dressing and other southern specialties. It was a very fun place to work, I worked at both San Antonio locations 78-79 and the Houston in 1980. Houston has more restaurants per capita than any other U.S. city. Remember having a good time. There was also a supreme version available . Over the years many many restaurants have come and gone in out fair city. In his younger years, founder Leo Reynosa, Sr. rode with Pancho Villa. Filed under cafeterias, chain restaurants, elite restaurants, ethnic restaurants, food, menus, patrons, racism, women, Tagged as 1980s restaurants, California cuisine, celebrity chefs, chain restaurants, foodies, Northern Italian cusisine, Shoney's lawsuit, Pingback: Can the 1980s Restaurants Be the Key to Growth in the 2020s?